Author Topic: What's the point of this?  (Read 18933 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: What's the point of this?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
Buzzkill. <tosses popcorn in trash and turns on Netflix>
Free popcorn! <dumpster diving>
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »
Free popcorn! <dumpster diving>

All in favor of eating popcorn from a dumpster?

detour

• Underling
  • Baja Mercury: Accelerator
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 03:26:52 PM »
In one election for city council some years ago, with something like 55,000 people voting, the winning candidate was elected... by exactly 1 vote.  True story.  Every vote counts.
Baja Mercury:  Accelerator.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »
All in favor of eating popcorn from a dumpster?

NAY!!!!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »
In one election for city council some years ago, with something like 55,000 people voting, the winning candidate was elected... by exactly 1 vote.  True story.  Every vote counts.

Damn your vulcan logic! Nobody's asking for facts here, this is a debate >:(

And it all happened because we decided to talk about voting.

I blame the interwebz.

It seems the lack of practice at tangenting has dulled our once keen edge. Time was, the word "vote" would've taken no more than six posts to morph into a conversation about Rikti Idol or Survivor: Dark Astoria. But we're a bit rusty lately.

I mean, talk of voting leading to...... talk of politics? It's like somebody kidnapped us and replaced us with Normal People. *shudders*

(Besides, I don't get Netflix, I get Netflix Canada. It's only like a tenth the content. :'( )

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »
Nobody's asking for facts here, this is a debate >:(

LOLOLOL

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »
Back on topic.....(stupid politics and their conspiracies and rigged elections) I was basically asking what was the point of fighting to get a game back if in the future companies can and will just close them down when they feel like it? I was thinking long term I guess. I would hate to get COH back for say a year, and then they close it again. There should be a clause somewhere that gives us the right to make private servers or something, so that we can forever play the game if we choose. Just like a console game or even a computer game that runs off of a CD. I guess I am slowly growing weary of internet based games, cause they can be snatched up and all that time and energy spent in it is for what, temporary entertainment?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 04:53:51 PM »
(Besides, I don't get Netflix, I get Netflix Canada. It's only like a tenth the content. :'( )

You obviously haven't seen Netflix America, lately. Aside from a recent mass dump from Cartoon Network, they've lost the rights to a lot of stuff just in the past month. My kids are happy, but I'm finding less to waste time on, other than 8 hours of new Arrested Development.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 05:49:56 PM »
You obviously haven't seen Netflix America, lately. Aside from a recent mass dump from Cartoon Network, they've lost the rights to a lot of stuff just in the past month. My kids are happy, but I'm finding less to waste time on, other than 8 hours of new Arrested Development.
I'm still catching up on Breaking Bad.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »
Back on topic.....(stupid politics and their conspiracies and rigged elections) I was basically asking what was the point of fighting to get a game back if in the future companies can and will just close them down when they feel like it? I was thinking long term I guess. I would hate to get COH back for say a year, and then they close it again. There should be a clause somewhere that gives us the right to make private servers or something, so that we can forever play the game if we choose. Just like a console game or even a computer game that runs off of a CD. I guess I am slowly growing weary of internet based games, cause they can be snatched up and all that time and energy spent in it is for what, temporary entertainment?
Yes should be a clause, but have the people asked for a clause, or rather demanded a clause? One way to demand is not play MMO unless there is a clause that states that. Problem with that I doubt there is enough people to even care and will still cause the game makers to make billions over all.

Like why you think they charge on average $15 a month for sub instead of say $25-$50 a month? Because someone already either figured or found out that most players wont pay that and they iwll end up making a lot less. But thye also figured that most gamers will move on to the next game when they shut the current one down usually in favor of the new shiny. And by most gamers I mean gamers overall in the MMO world total, not just COX players. Thus as long as player continue to go along with it and continue to play and pay and buy the goodies, why would they give a hoot about adding a clause?

And sometimes the industry comes around on their own per se. Like with F2P. Believe or not the concept is as old as subsription based model but really only recently caught on. At one point it was nearly unheard of and unspeakable for a major mmo company to implement f2p. Employees probably got fired for even suggesting such an outlandish and brash concept at the time. Then at one point it was near gurantee death sentence for the game. Now many feel if they dont go f2p they will lose out. It's near common place now.

All it takes to start it off is one studio to put that clause in, grow big, and the rest will follow. TPP? H&V? Valiance? When players start to flock to well made games AND knowing that it wont bbe pulled from under them, the other studios will have to add it too if they want to compete. It will take time patience, more time, more patience, and few head to wall manuevers, and more patience, but it can be done but the player have to demand it.

From their view if I was the them, I'm making millions of dollars a month, at any moment I can shut down the game for my purposes, and still make millions? Shut fire, dang right I aint adding a stoopid clause. (but also have to decide if EULAs are actually binding or not which seems to be split between the gamers about it. If it's not binding as many claim then they could add the clause and still shut down the game and nothing can be done about it which nullify the purpose of the clause. If it is binding then the entire EULA is binding and if they add the clause they are bound to it and not just binding to the pieces that certain gamers like in favor that work in the gamer favor and the parts they dont like and or work in the company favor is not considered binding.) But if I dont add that clause and because lack of it I'm losing millions that actually matter aka not 1-4 million potential is nothing to 1-6 billion guaranteed that I rake in, then dang right I'm adding the clause. It boils down to good business and sometimes good business and good moral actions are not always the same.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2013, 06:52:15 PM »
@Jaguar I see your point however I dont see what a company would lose overall, if at the point they decide to pull the plug they allow others to continue to play the game via a private server. I don't see them losing anything in all honesty I see them gaining respect from players who will more than likely continue to support them in their future endeavors. Also if at some point they want to use 'their" IP for future games they could do that with no problem, a private server wouldn't hinder their productivity. This clause may push for better quality games or more attention to the consumer versus the money?? Meh this just makes my head hurt sometimes I really would just like to log in COX, make a character and freaking PLAY!!!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
@Jaguar I see your point however I dont see what a company would lose overall, if at the point they decide to pull the plug they allow others to continue to play the game via a private server. I don't see them losing anything in all honesty I see them gaining respect from players who will more than likely continue to support them in their future endeavors. Also if at some point they want to use 'their" IP for future games they could do that with no problem, a private server wouldn't hinder their productivity. This clause may push for better quality games or more attention to the consumer versus the money?? Meh this just makes my head hurt sometimes I really would just like to log in COX, make a character and freaking PLAY!!!

It could be argued that they released ownership of the IP.  Or worse, if the CoH IP somehow causes harm, NCSOFT as it's owners would have accountability.  So yes it's in the best interest of a company to sit on their property and box it away in the Ark of the Covenant warehouse than ignore it at let it roam free. 

Don't forget how Xerox protects it's trademark from becoming a generic word meaning photocopy machine or God forbid, a verb
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
I'm still catching up on Breaking Bad.

I finally finished Breaking Bad and now watching the first half of season 5 on Amazon instant streaming ($1.99 an episodes).  At least I will be ready when it finishes.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »

well the poitn of business is to make money. The rest is a means to make money but if they could make money without say, tryign to gain the respect of the players, then they will, as the yhave been especially big ones. Respect is one thing, but respect dont pay the bills unfortunately.

I dont see how a private server would hurt them either, but I think that is more like a just in case thing or who or what not. If they open a game but theri is private server, that CAN hurt them. BEcause it's drawing players away from the game. Say normally with COX game being the sole game and NCSoft/studio being sole operator. Someone dont like  the drop rates. They usually still stick around. But say there is a private server that have increased drop rate then they could lose those players that otherwise wouldnt have left. But with the game being down, I'm not sure. In some cases it's more of a worry about someone making money off their work and property and they are not getting a cut. Remember NCSoft had to pay the devs, the tech support, the server space and etc to keep the game running and to make the game. Then someone who didnt put a single dime into the development cost scoops it up and make their own server and make a living off of it, probably will rill their feathers. Now if there is no money involved, then I just plain wave dont know the harm, outside what legalities are. It if no money is being made and the game is not operating, then it should be allowed IMO. But it may also have to do with control and power over said product.

But from the looks of it, regardless of how many games they shut down, players still support them in their future endeavors. Well usually besides the ones they already written off, which they probably dont lose much overall because then the money they saved from not havign to pay the staff of that game, the server the equipment, the advertisment (for games where that applies), the tech support, the customer service reps, the people that maintain the physical building, the people that monitor the credit card transaction and the support staff, makes up for it in many cases especially if a game is nonprofitable. But for profitable games that are victims of realignments, I can bet someone did the math and realzied it would be better LONG TERM to cut loose. Sometiems it's for show to investors who put in that company more than people put into the game in the entire 8 years total, can feel at ease and invest more.

Sometimes it's not always completely about the players. Sometimes its the bigger picture but the player do hold the power if they one day will actually use their power and demand better with their wallets. ike now I guarantee that NCSoft dotn have to change a single thing and if they open up CO many will flock right back to it and they still can shut it down again when ever they feel like it. Andthey know this and probably why they sometimes look down on private servers. Because if crap hits the fan they can re open up a clsoed game and many of those customers will return no questions asked but with a bunch of private servers running around, that may ding that when crap hit the fan plan. So there we have it. Even private servers for closed games can be viewed as dangerous for the business.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »
@Father what harm?? I don't get it? People were talking about a Marvel suit coming up somehow if people on a private server made toons resembling other comic heroes, is this the harm you're talking about? I honestly don't think that you could get into any kind of trouble if you ran a private server and privately made a hero/villain that resembles another from a different comic. I think the problem would be if you charged people to use your server, or somehow money was involved, or if you publicized your character. Other than that no one would know about your creation, so I don't see any harm from releasing their IP for private servers. Maybe I'm missing something could you fill me in please? I honestly feel like this is just an excuse companies use to say, this is mine and no you can't have it, but thank you for all the money you spent on it.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »
@Jaguar I was mostly referring to a shutdown situation, not a game up and running scenario. The clause would only come in to play once they decide to shutdown the actual game that way it wouldn't be a conflict of interest and it wouldn't take away any of their players while they have it up and running. I think the main reason why companies like this will continue to get support is because we really don't have a choice, well we do but it's not a reasonable one. Play or Don't Play is our only two options, and most would rather play than not, the "companies to be" know this and exploit that weakness. If only we could turn that mentality around somehow......

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 07:46:51 PM »
*walks in, sees politics, mutters something about voter suppression, and walks out*

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 07:46:56 PM »
Deleted my posts to avoid hitting the big shiny red Political Bomb button.

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=9644
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:57:25 PM by Rotten Luck »
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »
*bites tongue* Please, guys, let's not discuss politics. I have impulse control issues when politics come up, and most of you know by now you don't want to get me started. ^^;

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2013, 07:52:37 PM »
Er yeah Okay I delete my posts.  Politics is a bad thing to talk about here. 

One way or another... Heroes will fly again!