Author Topic: What's the point of this?  (Read 18930 times)

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
What's the point of this?
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:09:47 PM »
http://www.change.org/petitions/ncsoft-keep-ncsoft-from-shutting-down-city-of-heroes

We have 20k signatures and nothing came out of it?? What good is it to petition something if no one cares anyway! This is one reason why people don't vote, it's like we have no voice. Yes, I know all the efforts and positive things going on, on this site. However, and I hate being "negative" as some say, COH is not back! It's still gone, and I honestly don't care for making a character's costume and flying around the city with nothing to do. That is not what I enjoyed about the game, glad they got that up and running but it's not my cup of tea! So what is the point, fight until we finally get the game back? I really would love to play the game but as time goes on I grow more bitter and really want to say screw everything! There's not one game out that I can spend hours and hours on, which I guess is a good thing cause I have time to do other things but I really enjoyed playing this game it was damn fun! So if companies can just snatch up games and not allow you to play them then what is the use of petitoning and begging for the game to come back? Might as well chop it up as a loss and just stop playing games, well computer games anyway because the games I purchase on my console will forever be playable unless of course I mess up my game disc or console! *Rant over* "Whew I feel better...kinda"

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: What's the point of this?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »
The reason people don't vote in the popular election is because either neither candidate represent the voter's views 100% (litmus test) or the voter doesn't see enough of a difference between the candidate's positions or the voter simply realize that the collective inertia of the political machine means that either candidate's individual position simply doesn't matter.

As for internet petitions, dime a dozen, no way to confirm if the same person voted 1000 times.  Plus since this was after the decision was made, unmaking it is near impossible in a corporate "yes man" environment.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:23:48 PM »
Not true Father!! (That sounds funny) I know plenty of non-voters who honestly believe their vote (voice) doesn't matter. They believe that no matter what they do the person who the "government" wants in office will be in office regardless of if they vote or not! This is what I am talking about as far as raising our voices to try and get this game back it's like we don't matter to anyone except ourselves. (Don't think I want people to give up, that is not what I am saying. I am simply asking what is the point if no one is listening?)

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »
http://www.change.org/petitions/ncsoft-keep-ncsoft-from-shutting-down-city-of-heroes

We have 20k signatures and nothing came out of it?? What good is it to petition something if no one cares anyway! This is one reason why people don't vote, it's like we have no voice. Yes, I know all the efforts and positive things going on, on this site. However, and I hate being "negative" as some say, COH is not back! It's still gone, and I honestly don't care for making a character's costume and flying around the city with nothing to do. That is not what I enjoyed about the game, glad they got that up and running but it's not my cup of tea! So what is the point, fight until we finally get the game back? I really would love to play the game but as time goes on I grow more bitter and really want to say screw everything! There's not one game out that I can spend hours and hours on, which I guess is a good thing cause I have time to do other things but I really enjoyed playing this game it was damn fun! So if companies can just snatch up games and not allow you to play them then what is the use of petitoning and begging for the game to come back? Might as well chop it up as a loss and just stop playing games, well computer games anyway because the games I purchase on my console will forever be playable unless of course I mess up my game disc or console! *Rant over* "Whew I feel better...kinda"

Because change.org doesn't actually have the power to do anything, in any of the petitions.  It is a sounding board for people to show what they support, etc.  Companies or governments can look at it and gauge the response level, but ultimately, it is up to those companies and governments  as to whether they act on any of it.

The petition was never more than a pipe dream anyway.  NCSoft had already made their decision.  Best case, it is possible they could have seen the response and decided it would be better for them to acquiesce, but even when the petition was first put up, the chances of it having any meaningful effect (aside from psychological to those of us participating) was negligible.  It never hurts to try, but it doesn't do much good to petition something on an unaffiliated site, particularly over something as seemingly trivial as a video game.  And before people jump down my throat for calling CoH trivial, I am speaking about to the world at large.  Yes, we have a pretty good sized community, but in the end, the whole thing is about a video game, not some big charitable act, or trying to effect changes to society, or something like that. 

In many endeavors, it isn't getting results that actually matter, it is the effort in the first place.  Petitions are not an exercise in futility, but you have to be realistic about their chances of success.  Look at the petition to begin construction of a Death Star.  Just because it got a ton of signatures doesn't mean it is at all likely to happen.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 09:47:32 PM »
In many endeavors, it isn't getting results that actually matter, it is the effort in the first place.  Petitions are not an exercise in futility, but you have to be realistic about their chances of success.  Look at the petition to begin construction of a Death Star.  Just because it got a ton of signatures doesn't mean it is at all likely to happen.

It did get an official response from the white house, however, which though tongue-in-cheek is more than a lot of causes can say.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »
I can't be the only one linking this:
Not true Father!!

with this:
Look at the petition to begin construction of a Death Star.

to conjure up memories of a desperate one-handed Luke Skywalker on Bespin.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 11:04:48 PM »
I always Vote.  Even if I don't think it change things.  My idea that the voting system is kind of a warning buzzer for who ever pulls the strings.  If they do something and suddenly the votes go wild off tilt they know they went to far in one direction.  So voting is still important even if it has not backing.

Note this is from the view of that there is someone pulling the strings.  Who ever they are worked hard to seem to be this or that they don't want to go to far out of the image they built up or really risk a second civil war.  If the system set up to be a shadow system the goal is to be in power but seem not to be.  So in such a shadow system Votes have no say, but they still have power like the range of a Geiger Counter.  If they go to far out side the range they risk exposure and trouble.

Think of it like this they set up a goal to aim for, then set up the two extreams of said goal.  Liberal and conservative for example, if they go to far in one extream they can see the results and lean to the other side. 

All in all the most powerful Voting system is still the all mighty dollar (or cash of said nation).  If we don't buy this or that then they don't make that.  Even a Boycott is a vote and my vote is Not for NCsoft.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 12:05:07 AM »
I'm not sure I follow you "Geiger Counter" analogy. I think I know what you're trying to say, but I'm not entirely sure. Unless you're referring to the sensitivity range, which kind of makes the analogy fall apart with the statement that follows it, a Geiger-Muller counter is a passive detector. If beta or gamma ionizing radiation passes through the wand, it will cause the needle to move. I forget the actual process used to convert that particle's movement into needle movement, but you get the idea.

There is no radiation dosimetry monitoring device that affords the wearer/user any protection. Some will warn you when you have reached an exposure limit, but there is no such thing as a device or suit that will protect you from radiation. OK, that's not true. The lead apron the radiology tech uses for pregnant women does afford some protection, but it's more of a precaution. The level of radiation is so slight that the mother wouldn't notice any ill effect, but the possibility that the fetus might warrants even token protection.

I'm not tying to slam your argument, but I don't follow where you're going with the analogy. That's all.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 12:25:06 AM »

It's only 20,000 signatures (and hoping there wasnt that many double triple ten time signatures like some people do on petitions to pad the number). Overall that is not much of the player base not even half of the numbers that been thrown around that the population was at shut down (60,000-80,000) and way less than half if including ex-players and or peak population (190,000) and probably less than ten percent of everyone who ever played the game. Although thankful for those 20,000 that signed to show support, given the overall number and if that petition alone was a measuremet of support, its not good. It would show that majority of the players just dont give a crap.

I think it did it's job letting people know there is a group that isnt going to let it go but it couldnt be used as "look at the support. The players want it game back!" It would have been quickly countered with and dismissed as that 20,000 is actually a minority, which is was.

And the problem with that petition, it was to keep ncsoft from shutting down a property they rightfully own from a legal standpoint. Now was this property actually a property that is doing well for the community? Like Walmart bought some property and wanted to build a walmart on said property but petition of majority of the townfolks blocked it, because that lot was used as a park and had some of the few native trees.

Unfortunately most people on the outside dont take virtual communities and the cause of a game ending as serious as say, a developer wanting to raze a community to build a shopping mall and something the developer wins even in those cases. And that is probably one of the reasons the petition got relatively little response. many people just shrugged and moved on.

Thirdly even walmart got compensated for the land they bought to build the walmart and got petitioned. Was anyone of those petition signers or all of them was able to compensate NCSoft for keeping the game running, the staff, the server space, the updates, and etc? Or was we expecting a petition to force NCSoft to spend money that is no longer wished to spend because of 20,000 people wanted them too. . Hell most of you didnt even keep a sub up from 04-12 the entire time. When money got tight, the sub lapsed, when ya wanted to break for some the sub lapsed. And i doubt anyone would have liked it  if someone like Nexxon telling you that you must spend that $15 a month whether you want to or not because want that money. Many would flip out. So again the petition, who was goign to pay. It was a fail from the start as one, it wasnt detrimental to an actual community. And look, we are still here so we by being here together and claiming this is the community nullifies the fact that it destroyed the community when you have people goign aroudn the net at the same time saying Titan is the community of ex-COX players. We lost a game, yes, we paid 15 a month they delivered when they decided not to, we didnt pay. Sooo that could be viewed as just another product being discontinued. But still the most damning thing about that petition was the number. Only 20,000? Really? Yeah that is showing them we really want our game back. :p. 

And that is why petitions fail. It looks good on paper but it stays on paper because it's not backed up with teeth and FACTS. Fact-they took the game. They affected the community online community, but community nonetheless. We know that but how do we get people on the outside to know that? Sure aint helping with certain people from here antagonizing everyone they view as an outsider. Then when they know, we get them on our side and again, it dont help when certain people is putting in lot of work to antagonize anyone they view as outsiders. Then we invite them to show support, again, it doesnt help when certain people make sure that any outsiders feel they are not welcomed. Then we go from there. Even with groups like Vegans, LBGT communities and others, many are not vegan and many are not LBGT but those groups had an idea, had a motive and had a movement and welcomes people to their cause LBGT or not. ANd that is how movements work. It's ok being angry but misplaced anger at anything and everything besides the inner circle is bound to fail and look like a relative few people just merely causing a fuss that will go away when they are tired or get angry at something else. Nothing to take serious. We have the power, we have the knowledge but many dont have the right attitude. Too much anger. Use that anger to promote the movement and stop running people off. Even people that dont seem like immediate help or know Tony V on personal basis or know how to build a game from scratch, can still be  a help. No telling the people that got turned off, and no telling who people know. SOmeone who played COX for two days might just happen to know the son of a Senator that knows another senator that is looking to push a bill through on customers right in virtual media. But run them off, and then that is another relationship unknown.

Really next time there is a chance to come out for support we have to come out in force with no mercy. Thus far it seems that only support that get attention is fighting off people who disagree with us and say move on. Someone say move on all eyes and ears open and people go there in force to tell them how wrong they are, but quiet on things that is designed to show the support of the actual movement. That is why we are viewed as merely angry gamers whining because our game was taken away. We talk about action, but have weak showing. We talk about petition and talk about but not even half and not even a quarter of all players.

Many here like to say "How everyone want the game back and how everyone is hurt and how everyone is this and that and how everyone is behind this movement. That is why never use the words that over generalize because no everyone is not hurt, not everyone cares, and not everyoen is behind this movement or a NCSoft paid shrill as many people claim.  Sad but true. But when people keep one with the everyone and only 20,000 show support that kills credibility. Where is this everyone many people here keep speaking of?

We are the minority but that doesnt mean we are weak. We just have to choose are words carefully, be more warmer to outside and stop coming off as pure nerd raging nutcases. And if you see others from here doing that and dragging this movement in the mud as quick as you are to jump on people cases for disagreeing jump on their case for painting this community in bad light and remind them that not all people here in fact probably not majority people here are raging nerd raging at at anythign that moves and dont align with their vision to the teeth. But when and I seen it out there, instead people ignore them then dog pile on the person that just so happen to not agree. One that only make them not agree and want nothign to do with us even more two it makes the average person that could go this way or that way think, Hell naw, I'm not mixing with those people." or "They are taking this toooooo far and serious. I think the author is right. It is time for them to move on as they are foaming at the mouth there." But of course, we can keep what we are doing out there and end up with a mere 20,000 signatures on petitions, low showing of support outside here, and talk among ourselves how we are goign to get back at "the man" and stick it to them with our vast and suporior righteous powers that is unquestionable and anyone that questions it will be cast out and be labeled ncsoft paid shrill. Either way I dont care. I'm here until it sinks or swim. I'll go down with it, or I'll float with it. The choice is this community on what directio nto take. If we want to swim, be warmer to outsiders, stop foaming at the mouth at everyoen who disagree or appears to. Just spit them the knowledge in a respectful non condencing tone and leave the snark and never know, they might just go "hm, maybe I'll check them out." but being snarky mean insulting and looking down ya nose at them definately wont win any friends. And it also kill the moral here as it makes this fight harder than it needs to be, real talk. SOme days when I see that stuff on other sites, I think to myself. "Man, is that the group I'm associating with and vouching for? What does that make me look like? WHat am I doing this for? I'm trading a cold  calulating corporation for a self righteous cold to anyone on the outside basically a dicatorship." Then I dismiss it. "nope, that is just a relative raving few that can be found in any community. But why are people quick to jump on people they dont disagree with but ignore them. Since they are not jumping on them that mae this movement look bad they must agree with their tactics of insulting anyone and everyone that dont agree with the movement and agree that they are all either with us or paid NCSoft shrills. Or else they would have dog piled on them too like they the poor chap that said he's moving on."

With TPP kickstarter coming soon, this is second chance to show support. I think if they cant reach their goal, with all this hoopla and hollering about wanting a game and then when the chips are down, even our own cant make it, and not many donators, then that is another straw to the all talk no bite image.

Angelus Animi

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 01:09:03 AM »
It is a personal stance but I vote because I want my voice to count.  Now understand that I am not delusional, and I know that my voice is nothing but a whisper in a wind storm, but it is mine all the same.  At the end of my days I do not want to look back and think that I never even tried, that I never got involved. 

As for voting in an election I often hate most candidates and know all to well that they are simply bought and paid for.  That I am forced to choose the lesser evil.  But great men and women died to give me that right so I'm not going to just toss it away. 

We always knew that getting CoH back in an offical form was a long shot.  But I'm not the type to go out without a fight.  Rather than seeing Icon as a waste of time maybe you should see it as hope.  CoH is not forgotten.  Its community is not dead.  Do you realize it is six months to the day that our City went dark?  We are all still here.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 01:34:24 AM »
Not true Father!! (That sounds funny) I know plenty of non-voters who honestly believe their vote (voice) doesn't matter. They believe that no matter what they do the person who the "government" wants in office will be in office regardless of if they vote or not! This is what I am talking about as far as raising our voices to try and get this game back it's like we don't matter to anyone except ourselves. (Don't think I want people to give up, that is not what I am saying. I am simply asking what is the point if no one is listening?)

For me it's more along the lines of, "Which rights do you feel like losing in the next 4 years?"

I still vote, but I have a very pessimistic view of it. Everything is party warfare now. They don't argue over what is best for everyone. They argue over what is best for them. Think about it... in the past, no matter who or WHAT got elected, you never would've seen states threatening secession over it, or rich property tycoons crying about a non-democracy.

We can't even look at disasters with a clear focus anymore. Every time something bad happens, we have to wonder who pulled the strings. Is a school shooting just a school shooting? Or is it an attempt to scare us into gun control? There's no way to know.

As for internet petitions... some have worked, yeah. But even the really big ones only have seen short-term success. SOPA/PIPA/CISPA, all heavily have been given distrusting eye due to online petitioning, but it always just gets repackaged and disguised, in hopes that nobody notices it. It's a siege. And now that the government has chosen not to partake in the corporate copyright policing game, the businesses have just teamed up to do it on their own.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 02:49:06 AM »

And that's what I said, at least the reasons they don't think their vote matters, especially the last two.  Executive Vs Legislative branches were designed to be opposing forces, to create an inertia on the system to prevent rabid change.  Senate Vs House.  Congress Vs President.  The system is designed to be slow.  So it doesn't matter if you elect some new guy with new ideas that are going to shake things up.  He's going to be the low man on the totem pole once he gets elected.  He's going to learn quickly that if he wants consideration for the people he's representing he's going to have to do what the senior members tell him to do.  By the time he gets 10 to 12 years under his belt all those new ideas have already been crushed out of him. 

The only way it'll matter is if a nationwide change occurs and a vast majority of those new faces are elected under the same banner and then there's a chance something will change.  Otherwise it's business as usual, putting off the hard decisions to pursue video game and violence or mandating science, engineering and economics without understanding how science, engineering or economics works in the real world (such as setting impossible targets to reach in ethanol production or doubling fuel mileage in cars in only 15 years or how requiring people who have significant medical conditions into existing insurance plans will lower rates for everyone) and of course the important job of getting yourself reelected.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:11:55 AM by FatherXmas »

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 03:01:54 AM »
It is a personal stance but I vote because I want my voice to count.  Now understand that I am not delusional, and I know that my voice is nothing but a whisper in a wind storm, but it is mine all the same.  At the end of my days I do not want to look back and think that I never even tried, that I never got involved. 

As for voting in an election I often hate most candidates and know all to well that they are simply bought and paid for.  That I am forced to choose the lesser evil.  But great men and women died to give me that right so I'm not going to just toss it away. 

We always knew that getting CoH back in an offical form was a long shot.  But I'm not the type to go out without a fight.  Rather than seeing Icon as a waste of time maybe you should see it as hope.  CoH is not forgotten.  Its community is not dead.  Do you realize it is six months to the day that our City went dark?  We are all still here.

It starts with local, county, and state elections. Many times even locally, people vote for the usual ones that belong to one of the tow parties and think that is it while ignoring the rest. Thus you have it controled by one of two parties, which of course endorses their own. But start voting for who you want locally and county level regardless of party afilliation. Sure the two major parties have the majority of money and donors and thus the tv time but most people dont bother searchign to see who else is in the field and merely choose the lesser of the two evils out of those canidates. And even more people wait until only the presidentia; elections to bother voting. Very unlikely any other outside those two parties will be chosen to run outside the few odd ball independents, like Nader, that really dont get much attention because he dont belong demo/repub standard. But hey, we get what we vote for. Keep voting for the usual dem/repub they will continue to present dem/repub canidates.

I think the criteria for president, governor, sentator, congressmen, or even mayor usually dotn require part affiliation contrary to popular belief. Just about any US citizen can run that meet the age requirement. But many people feel powerless against the big two so they either dont run or become another cog in the big two, the ones people keep voting into office. We have power, but too many believe they are powerless and relegated to voting only for someone from the big two. To change and stop this lesser of the two evils thing, it will take some citizen cohesion, and little ruffling of the feathers of the tradition, but remember dems nor repubs was one of the original parties. In fact they used to be one party. There used to be Whigs, Federalists, and other parties that came and gone. How they came to be, they took a stand and decided to do something and run their own canidates against the big parties of their times. After a while, of course they split, and became two. But in the beginning they challenged the tradition and won. It just seems like today's people dont have the stomach for change as much as the talk about it. I  think maybe it's because they dont know what to do and been told that it's either dems or repub. for so long they started to believe it and just voted dems or repub because that the party they belong to and or one was viewed as lesser of the two evils. Regardless, lesser of the two evils is still evil and will reamin so as long as the citizens allow it to be that way. When citizens are truely fed up, they'll do something. Thus far, they seem content with the way things are regardless of what they say.

If people know it's lesser of two evils, but why is it like that? If that is not desirable why not change it with the vote and not only the vote for president but hell, choose the proper canidate at least state level congressman. If Joe from down the street is the right guy, vote for him to represent the people in congress. That is one more seat for the independent. More people vote those people in, more they have control and dems nor repub can run roughshod all over the place without challenge of question like they do now.  But as long as we the people the citizens allow it the longer they will continue to do so and I dont blame them one bit. If I can rob someone blind, assuming my concience dont bother me, and they just roll over and let me like they been doing, then hell, damn right I'm goign to take them for all they are worth and see how much I can get away with.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »
Vote for fiscal conservatives.

It doesn't matter what social program you like/want/need - can you pay for it? I mean you personally in this generation not burdening the next 2 generations to pay for the hope and change this generation seems to feel entitled to. I don't care if you are liberal or conservative politically - everyone should be fiscally conservative. Don't burden the taxpayers, spend the money wisely and have checks and balances.

Ask yourself something - when the next politician says - we need to invest in more infrastructure - where are they spending the money they have NOW? With record gas prices comes record revenue. In spite of all the whining about sequester cuts - Washington is getting the largest windfall on revenue EVER. http://washingtonexaminer.com/revealed-obama-to-collect-record-taxes-in-2013/article/2526886

Understand something never mentioned, the average oil company makes 8% profit on a gallon of gas - the federal and state governments average 19% tax on the same gas. They make DOUBLE in tax that the oil companies make in profit. This is why they have zero interest in lowering the prices. I recall when in Michigan (who pays some of the highest in gas tax) that the oldest Congressman John Dingle wanted to add a further 50 cents a gallon to slow usage and encourage electric cars that no one wanted.

It is time for average citizens to realize the government has no solutions and in fact our private sector is who shows the wisdom and cleverness to work through social issues. Power corrupts, period and Washington is completely corrupt and needs to be cleaned out.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
Vote for fiscal conservatives.

It doesn't matter what social program you like/want/need - can you pay for it? I mean you personally in this generation not burdening the next 2 generations to pay for the hope and change this generation seems to feel entitled to. I don't care if you are liberal or conservative politically - everyone should be fiscally conservative. Don't burden the taxpayers, spend the money wisely and have checks and balances.

Ask yourself something - when the next politician says - we need to invest in more infrastructure - where are they spending the money they have NOW? With record gas prices comes record revenue. In spite of all the whining about sequester cuts - Washington is getting the largest windfall on revenue EVER. http://washingtonexaminer.com/revealed-obama-to-collect-record-taxes-in-2013/article/2526886

Understand something never mentioned, the average oil company makes 8% profit on a gallon of gas - the federal and state governments average 19% tax on the same gas. They make DOUBLE in tax that the oil companies make in profit. This is why they have zero interest in lowering the prices. I recall when in Michigan (who pays some of the highest in gas tax) that the oldest Congressman John Dingle wanted to add a further 50 cents a gallon to slow usage and encourage electric cars that no one wanted.

It is time for average citizens to realize the government has no solutions and in fact our private sector is who shows the wisdom and cleverness to work through social issues. Power corrupts, period and Washington is completely corrupt and needs to be cleaned out.

Show me a real fiscal conservative, Republicans only seem to care about it when they aren't in the White House and are the quickest to increase defense and other spending while cutting revenue.

Our government is far from perfect, but I do enjoy the roads I drive on, the schools that educate anyone despite their class, the military, police & emergency responders that keeps me safe and the programs that help those in need. Does it need shaping up in a lot of areas? Absolutely. Do I want to see it wholesale torn down so that the invisible hand of the free market can control my life? Absolutely not.

Personally, I hope what comes out of this mess is the decay of the Republican Party while the Libertarian Party continues to rise. Libertarians so far seem to represent the limited government ideals espoused by (but not actually enforced) by Republicans without all the social issue baggage & bloated defense spending Republicans have saddled themselves with. I'm no libertarian myself, but as a more liberal minded person Libertarians are FAR easier to work with.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:27:37 PM by Lightslinger »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »
Yay! Politics! This always ends well. <sits back with popcorn>

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »
Yeah... let's try not to delve to far into the political rabbit hole in here.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 01:44:33 PM »
And it all happened because we decided to talk about voting.

I blame the interwebz.
- Omega Mk. V

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 02:26:49 PM »
Yeah... let's try not to delve to far into the political rabbit hole in here.

Buzzkill. <tosses popcorn in trash and turns on Netflix>

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
Buzzkill. <tosses popcorn in trash and turns on Netflix>
Free popcorn! <dumpster diving>
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »
Free popcorn! <dumpster diving>

All in favor of eating popcorn from a dumpster?

detour

• Underling
  • Baja Mercury: Accelerator
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 03:26:52 PM »
In one election for city council some years ago, with something like 55,000 people voting, the winning candidate was elected... by exactly 1 vote.  True story.  Every vote counts.
Baja Mercury:  Accelerator.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »

NAY!!!!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »
In one election for city council some years ago, with something like 55,000 people voting, the winning candidate was elected... by exactly 1 vote.  True story.  Every vote counts.

Damn your vulcan logic! Nobody's asking for facts here, this is a debate >:(

And it all happened because we decided to talk about voting.

I blame the interwebz.

It seems the lack of practice at tangenting has dulled our once keen edge. Time was, the word "vote" would've taken no more than six posts to morph into a conversation about Rikti Idol or Survivor: Dark Astoria. But we're a bit rusty lately.

I mean, talk of voting leading to...... talk of politics? It's like somebody kidnapped us and replaced us with Normal People. *shudders*

(Besides, I don't get Netflix, I get Netflix Canada. It's only like a tenth the content. :'( )

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »
Nobody's asking for facts here, this is a debate >:(

LOLOLOL

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »
Back on topic.....(stupid politics and their conspiracies and rigged elections) I was basically asking what was the point of fighting to get a game back if in the future companies can and will just close them down when they feel like it? I was thinking long term I guess. I would hate to get COH back for say a year, and then they close it again. There should be a clause somewhere that gives us the right to make private servers or something, so that we can forever play the game if we choose. Just like a console game or even a computer game that runs off of a CD. I guess I am slowly growing weary of internet based games, cause they can be snatched up and all that time and energy spent in it is for what, temporary entertainment?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 04:53:51 PM »
(Besides, I don't get Netflix, I get Netflix Canada. It's only like a tenth the content. :'( )

You obviously haven't seen Netflix America, lately. Aside from a recent mass dump from Cartoon Network, they've lost the rights to a lot of stuff just in the past month. My kids are happy, but I'm finding less to waste time on, other than 8 hours of new Arrested Development.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 05:49:56 PM »
You obviously haven't seen Netflix America, lately. Aside from a recent mass dump from Cartoon Network, they've lost the rights to a lot of stuff just in the past month. My kids are happy, but I'm finding less to waste time on, other than 8 hours of new Arrested Development.
I'm still catching up on Breaking Bad.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »
Back on topic.....(stupid politics and their conspiracies and rigged elections) I was basically asking what was the point of fighting to get a game back if in the future companies can and will just close them down when they feel like it? I was thinking long term I guess. I would hate to get COH back for say a year, and then they close it again. There should be a clause somewhere that gives us the right to make private servers or something, so that we can forever play the game if we choose. Just like a console game or even a computer game that runs off of a CD. I guess I am slowly growing weary of internet based games, cause they can be snatched up and all that time and energy spent in it is for what, temporary entertainment?
Yes should be a clause, but have the people asked for a clause, or rather demanded a clause? One way to demand is not play MMO unless there is a clause that states that. Problem with that I doubt there is enough people to even care and will still cause the game makers to make billions over all.

Like why you think they charge on average $15 a month for sub instead of say $25-$50 a month? Because someone already either figured or found out that most players wont pay that and they iwll end up making a lot less. But thye also figured that most gamers will move on to the next game when they shut the current one down usually in favor of the new shiny. And by most gamers I mean gamers overall in the MMO world total, not just COX players. Thus as long as player continue to go along with it and continue to play and pay and buy the goodies, why would they give a hoot about adding a clause?

And sometimes the industry comes around on their own per se. Like with F2P. Believe or not the concept is as old as subsription based model but really only recently caught on. At one point it was nearly unheard of and unspeakable for a major mmo company to implement f2p. Employees probably got fired for even suggesting such an outlandish and brash concept at the time. Then at one point it was near gurantee death sentence for the game. Now many feel if they dont go f2p they will lose out. It's near common place now.

All it takes to start it off is one studio to put that clause in, grow big, and the rest will follow. TPP? H&V? Valiance? When players start to flock to well made games AND knowing that it wont bbe pulled from under them, the other studios will have to add it too if they want to compete. It will take time patience, more time, more patience, and few head to wall manuevers, and more patience, but it can be done but the player have to demand it.

From their view if I was the them, I'm making millions of dollars a month, at any moment I can shut down the game for my purposes, and still make millions? Shut fire, dang right I aint adding a stoopid clause. (but also have to decide if EULAs are actually binding or not which seems to be split between the gamers about it. If it's not binding as many claim then they could add the clause and still shut down the game and nothing can be done about it which nullify the purpose of the clause. If it is binding then the entire EULA is binding and if they add the clause they are bound to it and not just binding to the pieces that certain gamers like in favor that work in the gamer favor and the parts they dont like and or work in the company favor is not considered binding.) But if I dont add that clause and because lack of it I'm losing millions that actually matter aka not 1-4 million potential is nothing to 1-6 billion guaranteed that I rake in, then dang right I'm adding the clause. It boils down to good business and sometimes good business and good moral actions are not always the same.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2013, 06:52:15 PM »
@Jaguar I see your point however I dont see what a company would lose overall, if at the point they decide to pull the plug they allow others to continue to play the game via a private server. I don't see them losing anything in all honesty I see them gaining respect from players who will more than likely continue to support them in their future endeavors. Also if at some point they want to use 'their" IP for future games they could do that with no problem, a private server wouldn't hinder their productivity. This clause may push for better quality games or more attention to the consumer versus the money?? Meh this just makes my head hurt sometimes I really would just like to log in COX, make a character and freaking PLAY!!!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
@Jaguar I see your point however I dont see what a company would lose overall, if at the point they decide to pull the plug they allow others to continue to play the game via a private server. I don't see them losing anything in all honesty I see them gaining respect from players who will more than likely continue to support them in their future endeavors. Also if at some point they want to use 'their" IP for future games they could do that with no problem, a private server wouldn't hinder their productivity. This clause may push for better quality games or more attention to the consumer versus the money?? Meh this just makes my head hurt sometimes I really would just like to log in COX, make a character and freaking PLAY!!!

It could be argued that they released ownership of the IP.  Or worse, if the CoH IP somehow causes harm, NCSOFT as it's owners would have accountability.  So yes it's in the best interest of a company to sit on their property and box it away in the Ark of the Covenant warehouse than ignore it at let it roam free. 

Don't forget how Xerox protects it's trademark from becoming a generic word meaning photocopy machine or God forbid, a verb

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
I'm still catching up on Breaking Bad.

I finally finished Breaking Bad and now watching the first half of season 5 on Amazon instant streaming ($1.99 an episodes).  At least I will be ready when it finishes.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »

well the poitn of business is to make money. The rest is a means to make money but if they could make money without say, tryign to gain the respect of the players, then they will, as the yhave been especially big ones. Respect is one thing, but respect dont pay the bills unfortunately.

I dont see how a private server would hurt them either, but I think that is more like a just in case thing or who or what not. If they open a game but theri is private server, that CAN hurt them. BEcause it's drawing players away from the game. Say normally with COX game being the sole game and NCSoft/studio being sole operator. Someone dont like  the drop rates. They usually still stick around. But say there is a private server that have increased drop rate then they could lose those players that otherwise wouldnt have left. But with the game being down, I'm not sure. In some cases it's more of a worry about someone making money off their work and property and they are not getting a cut. Remember NCSoft had to pay the devs, the tech support, the server space and etc to keep the game running and to make the game. Then someone who didnt put a single dime into the development cost scoops it up and make their own server and make a living off of it, probably will rill their feathers. Now if there is no money involved, then I just plain wave dont know the harm, outside what legalities are. It if no money is being made and the game is not operating, then it should be allowed IMO. But it may also have to do with control and power over said product.

But from the looks of it, regardless of how many games they shut down, players still support them in their future endeavors. Well usually besides the ones they already written off, which they probably dont lose much overall because then the money they saved from not havign to pay the staff of that game, the server the equipment, the advertisment (for games where that applies), the tech support, the customer service reps, the people that maintain the physical building, the people that monitor the credit card transaction and the support staff, makes up for it in many cases especially if a game is nonprofitable. But for profitable games that are victims of realignments, I can bet someone did the math and realzied it would be better LONG TERM to cut loose. Sometiems it's for show to investors who put in that company more than people put into the game in the entire 8 years total, can feel at ease and invest more.

Sometimes it's not always completely about the players. Sometimes its the bigger picture but the player do hold the power if they one day will actually use their power and demand better with their wallets. ike now I guarantee that NCSoft dotn have to change a single thing and if they open up CO many will flock right back to it and they still can shut it down again when ever they feel like it. Andthey know this and probably why they sometimes look down on private servers. Because if crap hits the fan they can re open up a clsoed game and many of those customers will return no questions asked but with a bunch of private servers running around, that may ding that when crap hit the fan plan. So there we have it. Even private servers for closed games can be viewed as dangerous for the business.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »
@Father what harm?? I don't get it? People were talking about a Marvel suit coming up somehow if people on a private server made toons resembling other comic heroes, is this the harm you're talking about? I honestly don't think that you could get into any kind of trouble if you ran a private server and privately made a hero/villain that resembles another from a different comic. I think the problem would be if you charged people to use your server, or somehow money was involved, or if you publicized your character. Other than that no one would know about your creation, so I don't see any harm from releasing their IP for private servers. Maybe I'm missing something could you fill me in please? I honestly feel like this is just an excuse companies use to say, this is mine and no you can't have it, but thank you for all the money you spent on it.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »
@Jaguar I was mostly referring to a shutdown situation, not a game up and running scenario. The clause would only come in to play once they decide to shutdown the actual game that way it wouldn't be a conflict of interest and it wouldn't take away any of their players while they have it up and running. I think the main reason why companies like this will continue to get support is because we really don't have a choice, well we do but it's not a reasonable one. Play or Don't Play is our only two options, and most would rather play than not, the "companies to be" know this and exploit that weakness. If only we could turn that mentality around somehow......

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 07:46:51 PM »
*walks in, sees politics, mutters something about voter suppression, and walks out*

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 07:46:56 PM »
Deleted my posts to avoid hitting the big shiny red Political Bomb button.

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=9644
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:57:25 PM by Rotten Luck »

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »
*bites tongue* Please, guys, let's not discuss politics. I have impulse control issues when politics come up, and most of you know by now you don't want to get me started. ^^;

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2013, 07:52:37 PM »
Er yeah Okay I delete my posts.  Politics is a bad thing to talk about here. 

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2013, 07:53:33 PM »
@Jaguar I was mostly referring to a shutdown situation, not a game up and running scenario. The clause would only come in to play once they decide to shutdown the actual game that way it wouldn't be a conflict of interest and it wouldn't take away any of their players while they have it up and running. I think the main reason why companies like this will continue to get support is because we really don't have a choice, well we do but it's not a reasonable one. Play or Don't Play is our only two options, and most would rather play than not, the "companies to be" know this and exploit that weakness. If only we could turn that mentality around somehow......

Ah, shutdown.

well, you hit the nail on the head with what I would of said anyways.

Yeah they have us by the balls. Well I guess it's like the reason why gas can get up to $4 a gallon on the whim. Because what are the choices? You can protest by not buying gas and potential mess up ya whole life (look, public transportation and bike riding to not an option everyone have.), or just suck it up grumble a little and pay up.

I think one way to turn around this mentality that is rampant is most realm of business is use what opportunity we have that wouldnt work in other industries. I mean a person cant just go drill in the middle of texas for oil and up and build their own refinery and make gasoline (no that corn crap and moonshine dont count here. Although nothing like a nice glass of cold good moonshine, in moderation of course. lol.)  We have an opportunity to make our own game. Now get the word out, right now it's super hero game, and those that play others, let them know that here, this is a game that will be aroudn for generations. Then, tackle sci-fi and or action oriented MMOs and do the same. Then lastly, get them on their own back door, the fantasy realm. We dont even have to gain majority just enough for the major corporations to miss.

We give players a real choice beyond play and take it and LIKE IT! Or dont play. That is how the problem is solved. You're right players really dont have no choice beyond play or dont play. It should be I can play this game over here that could be gone or I could play this game, made by small company, aint perfect but's it's growing, decent, and will be here for a while. That's a choice. But liek anything and any person when they have the power and sole power, they will not give a dang if they are the only act and procedure in town. The customers can ask begg rant plead all they wont but 90% of them wont listen just like 90% of kins wouldnt stop  giving out speed boost prior to null the gull even when ya asked them not to. But when players had a choice, most of those kins went away because they no longer had the power but in gaming company world they will either have to eventually keep up or fade away like the power hungry kins. TPP H&V and Valiance is our null the gull.  We no longer have to take it or leave it anymore. We can say fine then I'll just go over here. well of course when those games come to being.

(Speaking in theory in the following stuff)
That is why I think three is good. That way they may liek the clause but not like say TPP, maybe they will like H&V that also have the clause or hell, maybe they dont like TPP or H&V but find Valiant better but it also have the clause. Instead of one making it, they love the clause but think the game suck so rather go back and risk a game being shutdown forever but at least they are enjoying the game while it's up.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2013, 07:59:59 PM »
What ever new Home we find one thing is clear.  We won't be under the NCsoft or hopefully not under any Publisher Thumb.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2013, 08:03:56 PM »
What ever new Home we find one thing is clear.  We won't be under the NCsoft or hopefully not under any Publisher Thumb.

Yes.

I just hope and, dont think it's even a worry, that I traded a corporate ran dictator for a revolutionary dictator.

Sometimes people raise up against a cause and end up worse than the cause they was fighting for once they gain power.

Again, random thought. I dont think that will be the issue here as long as they dont ever ever ever forget what all of this is for and about andn ever forget where it started and how once at one point they was there.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »
Yes.

I just hope and, dont think it's even a worry, that I traded a corporate ran dictator for a revolutionary dictator.

Sometimes people raise up against a cause and end up worse than the cause they was fighting for once they gain power.

Again, random thought. I dont think that will be the issue here as long as they dont ever ever ever forget what all of this is for and about andn ever forget where it started and how once at one point they was there.
Muhuhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

>_> <_<

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2013, 08:38:32 PM »
Sometimes people raise up against a cause and end up worse than the cause they was fighting for once they gain power

Unfortunately, this is what usually happens.  Maybe not in the gaming world, but in the real world of politics etc etc.  It is more often then not that the people who rise up against the monster become just as bad if not worse.  It takes a monster to kill a monster, but then who stops that monster?

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
@Segev I think that idea is perfect. That is the most logical way to gain power so that we can have better options than we do now. Well said!! This is the very reason I started this thread to get people to open their eyes cause we have got to take back the power. I can't develop to save my life but I can spark interest and start brainstorming ideas that can one day lead to something! I am so ready for one of the successors to release their content so I can support that and say to hell with these big name companies. I mean don't get me wrong honestly I will play other games only to check them out and see what it's like but I will NEVER invest the time I did to another big company MMO!! Bring on the spiritual successor goodness!!

"Big company MMO.......??? Ain't nobody got time for that!!"

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2013, 10:59:17 PM »
@Father what harm?? I don't get it? People were talking about a Marvel suit coming up somehow if people on a private server made toons resembling other comic heroes, is this the harm you're talking about? I honestly don't think that you could get into any kind of trouble if you ran a private server and privately made a hero/villain that resembles another from a different comic. I think the problem would be if you charged people to use your server, or somehow money was involved, or if you publicized your character. Other than that no one would know about your creation, so I don't see any harm from releasing their IP for private servers. Maybe I'm missing something could you fill me in please? I honestly feel like this is just an excuse companies use to say, this is mine and no you can't have it, but thank you for all the money you spent on it.

Lets say someone tries to fund a crowd funded scam around it or used a public server to troll for lonely tweenage girls, whatever the reason the owner will always be dragged into a legal mess.  If they condoned the creation of these private servers then they can be held liable.  So even thought the "fair" thing to do is to ignore them, their legal department may be counseling otherwise.

nataliaofvirtues

• Minion
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2013, 02:36:51 AM »
Mazz, I agree with you whole heartedly. I look forward to supporting the spiritual successor to our beloved COX. I already pump up the three every time I get the chance.

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2013, 03:08:39 AM »

I will personally never again give NCsoft a single penny of my cash - regardless of how good any of their games are.

The fallout effect from the CoH closure travesty is that I don't really trust any of the mainstream companies now.

By that I mean, I'm not in the frame of mind to commit to any current MMO in the same way that I was fully committed to CoH.

That's a bit unfair on the honest gaming companies out there but I just can't help it. The closure of CoH has been a hammer blow to me - as I'm sure it is to many others.

I'll watch with interest the development of the Plan Z projects, although I do wish that differences could be resolved and a single united game could be agreed on - instead of 2.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2013, 03:16:49 AM »
"Heroes and Villains" will be self-published, and is being set up to make it toxic to any corporate scum that might have even a slight interest in it, as well as being impossible for any single person to own or control the IP and assets.
This is a project by the community, for the community, forever.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »
@Golden Girl I eagerly await the return of a great super hero game!! I never knew I loved superheroes so much, I guess you don't know what you had until it's gone!! BOOOOOOOOO!!!

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2013, 11:41:07 PM »
Golden Girl!!!!!! You, and every hard working person that making this happen.......

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2013, 07:49:01 PM »
"Heroes and Villains" will be self-published, and is being set up to make it toxic to any corporate scum that might have even a slight interest in it, as well as being impossible for any single person to own or control the IP and assets.
This is a project by the community, for the community, forever.

How much are you willing to expand on that right now? Is it going to use some kind of creative commons magic or is it something you're cooking up independently? Are you planning on monetizing the game at all?

Golden Girl

• Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2013, 11:05:40 PM »
The game will be monetized - but in an ethical and transparent way, so it'll be unique in the MMO marketplace.
As for the IP, we're still working on the details of that, but it will also be a unique system in the world of MMOs.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:42:55 AM by Golden Girl »
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2013, 04:48:28 AM »

Me! ;D
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 04:51:35 AM »
The game will be monetized - but in an ethical and transparent way, so it'll be unique in the MMO marketplace.
As for the IP, we're still working on the details of that, but it will also be a unique system in the world of MMOs.

Just tell me who to make the check out to....
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Golden Girl

• Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2013, 06:28:40 AM »
Just tell me who to make the check out to....

Right now, because of the way we've set up the project, we don't actually need any funding - but when we do need a little help from the community, we'll make sure everyone knows about it.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »
Right now, because of the way we've set up the project, we don't actually need any funding - but when we do need a little help from the community, we'll make sure everyone knows about it.
What help might that be? Willing to help wherever my skills may be of use.

Golden Girl

• Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2013, 07:10:56 PM »
What help might that be? Willing to help wherever my skills may be of use.

Currently, technical and artistic skills would be useful to expand on the work we're doing to lay the foundations for the game.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2013, 11:03:04 PM »
What skills are needed?

LV <--Technical: server (Linux, FreeBSD, Windows) and network (Cisco) admin.  Not too bad at MySQL & Oracle admin either. 
Artistic:  Can write stories.  Sucks at graphics.
No Surrender!

Golden Girl

• Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2013, 09:08:27 PM »
The main technical skills needed right now are programming the game engine, and the main artistic ones are 3D modeling - although story writing will be required once we start fully developing the lore and setting.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2013, 03:54:13 AM »
At one time I could do C/C++ with ProC (oracle's PL-SQL language for C/C++) but that was 15+ years ago.
No Surrender!

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2013, 03:30:15 PM »
At one time I could do C/C++ with ProC (oracle's PL-SQL language for C/C++) but that was 15+ years ago.
Would not help H&V, they're running the Hero Engine, which uses a custom programming language called HeroScript, closer to Python in my experience. The other two PlanZ's could use assistance as well for a number of areas. I know TPP needs DB folk, and I believe Valiance does as well.