Author Topic: Just saw Iron Man 3 and... (No spoilers, this is about CoH)  (Read 5400 times)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
All I wanted to do after we left the theater was come home and play City of Heroes. You know how it goes, remember the feeling?

That feeling doesn't apply to Freedom Force, Champions Online, Batman Arkham, The Amazing Spider-Man, DCUO (a teeny bit to Marvel Heroes 'cuz I bought the Iron Man Premium Pack, but it's NOT THE SAME DAMMIT), no offense, all great games and I like em all but I I just wanted to come home, load up CITY OF FRIGGIN HEROES and play a tech-themed power suit character or go nuts in the character creator.

GO SUCK A ROTTEN EGG NCSOFT, YOU STUPID PACK OF SOULLESS NUMBSKULLS!!!!!!!!!

Damn.

OK.

Sorry for the outburst.

I feel better now. A little.

(Thanks for listening.)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: Just saw Iron Man 3 and... (No spoilers, this is about CoH)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »
You're not the only one. :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 04:31:18 AM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 06:05:49 AM »
*Psst*

You can still make your tech themed hero and fly around some parts of the city using the latest version of Icon(and Codewalker says a command to load any zone should be added soon(tm)). ;)

You can't really do anything, and the zones feel like ghost towns without all the NPCs, but you can at least run/fly around for a bit to relieve some of those CoH urges...

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 03:20:36 PM »
I'm with you, Captain!  I posted something similar when I first saw the film.  That evening was my most difficult CoH-loss evening so far.

At least my family understood.  *MINOR SPOILER* They said, "I bet that scene towards the end with all the suits made you think of your collection of characters."  So true!  Next time I saw IM3 when that scene came up I kept thinking how sad it is that my characters never got to meet each other.

lol What a sad case I am.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 03:24:38 PM »
I used to love when a new super hero movie came out - and then log into COH.

All of a sudden there would be 100's of Iron Mens and Spider-Guys and I certainly loved the week Incredibles opened and there were so many rip offs of the heroes / villians from that.

Not to mention the usual 300 or so Wulfireen rip offs that have been there since day one.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »
Don't forget the number of super saiyans running around.  Soul Reapers, Time Lords, The Fellowship of the Ring, Power Rangers, the list goes on.

Heck if I wasn't so upset about the closing announcement I would have made Uncle Scrapper after Miles from Revolution (along with Google Guy, Katniss Klone and Not Michelle Rodriguez).
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
I was just going through some old comics and the Legion of Super Hero story with two mystery members in armor.

The male was called Sir Prize and the female Miss Terious.

I have read that story quite a few times over the last 35 years or so and JUST today got the joke.

Surprise and Mysterious.

And all I could think of was there is no more COH so I can use those names!

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »
I was just going through some old comics and the Legion of Super Hero story with two mystery members in armor.

The male was called Sir Prize and the female Miss Terious.

I have read that story quite a few times over the last 35 years or so and JUST today got the joke.

Surprise and Mysterious.

And all I could think of was there is no more COH so I can use those names!

You may want to give Robert DeNiro's character in "Angel Heart" another look then. :-)

Reaper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 12:15:31 AM »
All I wanted to do after we left the theater was come home and play City of Heroes. You know how it goes, remember the feeling?
I would have to say that just about every super hero movie/tv show made me want to do this...

Don't forget the number of super saiyans running around.
Heh heh, I had a few of them too..  :roll:

That was one of the great things about the game though... customizing and playing your character to look and be like anything you wanted, even if it was "borrowed" from other stories.  I miss this game!
Patiently lurking from the shadows...

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 12:25:01 AM »
I would have to say that just about every super hero movie/tv show made me want to do this...
Heh heh, I had a few of them too..  :roll:

That was one of the great things about the game though... customizing and playing your character to look and be like anything you wanted, even if it was "borrowed" from other stories.  I miss this game!

I think this is what is hitting home for me the most (well, one of the top ten things, anyway).  What I loved about COH was that it WAS so adaptable, so open to anything that you can imagine or create.  We could have our LOTR, or whatever, themed sgs, weekly groups, whatever, and we could make up our own or enjoy the often-truly-awesome writing of the dev's arcs/storylines, and we could do it all in one, magnificent game with the best community ever assembled in one game. 

Now, I flit from SWTOR to Marvel to blah, and it's okay. It's even fun for a few hours, but it's so narrow, so limiting that I find myself wanting to shake off the shackles on my imagination and scream.  I'm trying Star Trek next, someone on here said it's similarish to COH, but it's still going to be Star Trek. Only Star Trek.  All the time. Meh.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 02:12:26 PM »

Once again, shutting down CoH was the stupidest business decision NCSOFT ever made.  They could have been reaping the benefits of all the Superhero movies that have been coming out. 

NCSOFT Exec: "Hmm...superheroes sure are popular right now.  Good thing we have the #1 Superhero MMO! Right? Guys?..."
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Kederren

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 10:08:04 PM »
And IM3 just opened in China the same day it did here in the US. Hmmm, Hollywood opening up the the Eastern markets to western themed superheroes...

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 10:56:54 PM »
And IM3 just opened in China the same day it did here in the US. Hmmm, Hollywood opening up the the Eastern markets to western themed superheroes...

Even going so far as to add a special scene uniquely for the eastern market...

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 01:20:19 AM »
Even going so far as to add a special scene uniquely for the eastern market...

I'm going to guess it will have to do with the heart surgeon he met both in 1999 and operated on him in the end.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »
I'm going to guess it will have to do with the heart surgeon he met both in 1999 and operated on him in the end.

Aye -- details (with spoilers) here: http://twitchfilm.com/2013/05/china-beat-what-did-china-see-in-iron-man-3.html

Apparently it's more than just one scene.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 07:56:43 PM »
Western Superhero stuff selling well in the East? Hey, wait a minute...

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 11:58:13 PM »
China, not Korea. :p
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 03:21:05 AM »
Western Superhero stuff selling well in the East? Hey, wait a minute...

New trend in China.  The Avengers did Okay there as well.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 05:02:03 AM »
New trend in China.  The Avengers did Okay there as well.
And what is NCSOFT trying to sell to China at the moment?  Bits and Tits.

Too bad they don't have a Superhero Game to sell to them...
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 08:08:36 AM »
On the other hand, the upsurge in popularity in their back yard instead of the other side of the world, and more importantly the chance for profiting off said upsurge, just might do what we've been unable to. Make the reconsider the decision to bury the IP. Even so I doubt they'd relaunch CoH itself, probably make a CoH 2 that'd be made by one of their inhouse teams and thus become just as much of a horrible Korean grindfest as their other games.

You know, I think that'd almost be worse than just leaving it dead. :(

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 02:16:36 PM »
You know, I think that'd almost be worse than just leaving it dead. :(
Yeah. :-\
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.