Author Topic: RIFT going F2P in June  (Read 9446 times)

Adelante

• Boss
RIFT going F2P in June
« on: May 15, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »
Source: http://www.riftgame.com/en/promo/freetoplay.php

Is anyone even remotely interested in this?  I quit the game on a very bad note (and somewhat publicly on the old CoH boards in the Rude Tells thread) thanks entirely to a GM that developed a personal vendetta against me.  He was so angry that I continued to get e-mail that I'd been banned from the game periodically, months after I had stopped playing (I stopped playing because he thought it'd be entertaining to delete every item I had on my 3 highest-level characters).

I was curious if I could get my account back in good standing and e-mailed their support team this morning.  Within 20 minutes I had access to my account restored, though as I don't have a subscription I can't see if my stuff is there (which, after so long, I don't particularly care about anyway).  I guess their support process has improved, it was fast and courteous.

Anyway, I may look into it once it is F2P, mostly for the scenario-like PvP.  I kind of miss that.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
Re: RIFT going F2P in June
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 07:54:52 PM »
I enjoyed RIFT. They took a direction I didn't like in that it became almost totally "raid or don't bother". I was a crafter, I could craft every item in the game that was worth crafting, then they made the new high level craftable shinies require stuff that could only be acquired in raids, so I quit. It's a decent game solo, but I hated the community, particularly around pickup dungeons and raids.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 08:59:35 PM »
I played in the RIFT beta and for the first six or nine months. I enjoyed the hell out of it. I really like the 'open team' concept and the 'malleable world' thing they had. However, like Minotaur, I saw it heading in the raid-or-gtfo direction and became disenchanted. I solo almost exclusively in pretty much every game I play so being able to do stuff at high level without requiring a party is pretty important to me.

I'll check it out again and see how things have changed since I left, but reading up on it shows more of the same, and I'm not likely to change my opinion.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:03:51 PM »
It did amuse me that when they first introduced fishing into the game, it was a dwarven activity done with dynamite. They subsequently introduced it properly.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 11:31:43 PM »
I would be interested in "dwarven" fishing! :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:07:20 AM »
It did amuse me that when they first introduced fishing into the game, it was a dwarven activity done with dynamite. They subsequently introduced it properly.

You mean that isn't the proper way to fish?
 ???

On a side note, how's the PvP in Rift? More specifically the battlegrounds (or whatever they call it)... I could go for an MMO where casual PvP is an option (since player-vs-player stuff is normally what I do in online games... CoH was an exception for me).

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:32:27 AM »
When I left the PvP was still pretty active and entertaining.  I enjoyed it a lot, and it will likely be the main reason for me to return.

As far as Raiding culture goes... yeah.  I agree. The game did take that Raiding turn, and it's unfortunate.  I remember my guild at the time came over from WoW because they were sick of all the Raiding... then immediately jumped into Raiding in RIFT and made it a Raid-focused guild as opposed to the casual grouping guild I had initially joined.  I was disappointed.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 01:03:47 AM »
I played through the beta, and while I elected not to subscribe (largely because I remain totally burned out on high fantasy as a gaming genre), even before launch the game was polished and stable. Trion do good work.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 02:25:50 AM »
So does that leave only WoW and EVE as the last 2 subscription dinosaurs?
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 08:17:49 AM »
Both the Final Fantasy MMOs are subscription-based...Rather, FFXIV will be once it is out again.
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »
Darkfall's subscription-based, the new Camelot game is going to be subscription-based too.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 04:10:51 PM »
No word on income models for Boobs & Skin or Wildstar yet.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »
Pretty sure Wildstar has been mentioned to be F2P in the past, but I dunno.

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 09:21:34 PM »
I'll probably give Rift another go then, had a Warrior and a Rogue at lvl 50 but will probably have to start from scratch since I don't think I can re-learn how to play them, specially on so many different roles available, guess I'll start with a Cleric and see how it goes.-

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 12:13:51 AM »
Both the Final Fantasy MMOs are subscription-based...Rather, FFXIV will be once it is out again.

I'm fairly certain they slit FFXIV throat with the disastrous initial launch. They'd be wise just to keep running with FFXI and pretend FFXIV never happened.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 12:23:32 AM »
I'm fairly certain they slit FFXIV throat with the disastrous initial launch. They'd be wise just to keep running with FFXI and pretend FFXIV never happened.

Square-Enix isn't wise.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 05:07:29 AM »
Pretty sure Wildstar has been mentioned to be F2P in the past, but I dunno.
Nope, they haven't settled on a pay scheme yet.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tremor

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 01:30:17 AM »
I really enjoyed building bases in CoH...piece by piece; moving items together to create tables, beds etc.

When I saw this video, I have to admit I became a bit bouncy.

Rift has 'housing', but they call it Dimensions.  The houses in this video were built one plank of wood at a time by a player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_RA1z666Mo

Olde Glory

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 08:59:39 AM »
I bouht the game when it first came out but eventually got tired of the lack of community. When I had to go down to 1 sub, I (of course!) dropped it to keep CoH. I don't mind soloing in an MMO, but paying for it month after month doesn't hold really make sense when I own an xbox (that's what I use it for).  In any case, I might give it another try but I'll be rolling a new character if i do.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot