Author Topic: Iron Man 3 and spoilers ahead  (Read 13165 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Iron Man 3 and spoilers ahead
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2013, 03:17:04 AM »
The only real stupid decision is to publicly threaten the Mandarin.  Pretty sure up to that point the tabloid press and every other major media outlet knew where he lived but once it declared it on live TV it was okay to invade the privacy they once voluntarily gave the heavily armed flying man with impulse control issues.

He didn't know that Pepper would be targeted.  He didn't know that Maya was involved so he assumed they were both safe.  He figured as long as he kept his distance the bullseye will remain on him and not Pepper.

A second stupid decision, if you want to call it that, is not sharing with Pepper earlier about his Avengers flashbacks.  Just like in IM2 where he kept his health problem to himself while setting up his friends to take over after his death.  It's the whole "I don't want to be a burden on you so I will let you believe I'm just being a bit more dickish than my usual dickish self."

As for "make something", that's his modus operandi.  IM1, builds suit to escape.  IM2, builds particle accelerator in basement to complete his father's work and save his own life.  Why should IM3 be any different?  That's actually Tony's superpower.  So he was able to invade the Mandarin's compound with gizmos he built in a motel room, "FROM SCRAPS".  And he succeeded, or would have if the Mandarin was the actual big bad.

Yes he ended up putting Pepper in harms way.  Yes, he put the kid in harms way.  Yes, maybe he should have called SHIELD once he met the Extremis soldiers (you can't tell me that power wouldn't constitute an international threat).  And speaking of SHIELD why wouldn't Capt. America be all over this Mandarin problem.  Isn't tracking down and punching guys like this repeatedly in the face his bailiwick?  I digress.

I can't think of any other "stupid" decisions he made other than the two I outlined.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2013, 03:54:20 AM »
If I had the kind of resources Tony did, I'm sure "build things" would help with my anxiety too.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »
The solution to Tony's anxiety, "build something"... novel.  Wouldn't have worked in my case.
It's not "build something" it's "focus on something you CAN solve". :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2013, 06:51:57 AM »
The only real stupid decision is to publicly threaten the Mandarin.  Pretty sure up to that point the tabloid press and every other major media outlet knew where he lived but once it declared it on live TV it was okay to invade the privacy they once voluntarily gave the heavily armed flying man with impulse control issues.

Threatening the Mandarin wasn't in and of itself a stupid decision. The stupid decision was to not immediately get in one of his suits, and to have a buggy prototype on standby instead of a fully functioning one.

<snip!>
Yes he ended up putting Pepper in harms way.  Yes, he put the kid in harms way.  Yes, maybe he should have called SHIELD once he met the Extremis soldiers (you can't tell me that power wouldn't constitute an international threat).  And speaking of SHIELD why wouldn't Capt. America be all over this Mandarin problem.  Isn't tracking down and punching guys like this repeatedly in the face his bailiwick?  I digress.

The existence of S.H.I.E.L.D. is why the this movie's premise falls down immediately.  What happened to Nick Fury?  Was he golfing?

I can't think of any other "stupid" decisions he made other than the two I outlined.

Okay, here's one: destroying all his suits at the end of the movie.  What's he going to do in the next Avengers movie?  Consult?

Here's another: his combat tactics were just plain baffling.  The first time somebody melted off a piece of his armor, he should have never gone toe-to-toe with them ever again.  He was in a flying suit with ranged weapons, and yet he chose "punching" as his main combat offensive.  And then when he remembered he had ranged weapons, he decided to use them up close (ahh, memories. "Does anyone have an Awaken they can spare?").  The delay it took for a repulsor to charge up, announced by an escalating whine, meant the folks with the superhuman reflexes could see this telegram coming, read it, ball it up, and attack first.

Then there was the whole "not seeing a therapist for my anxiety attacks, even though I could pay one for a year with the interest I earn in a minute."  Yeah, I get that he likes to shoulder burdens on his own.  That strategy nearly killed him in IM2.  He's supposed to be an off-the-charts-level genius, so making the same kind of potentially fatal mistake twice shouldn't be something he does for that reason alone, let alone this thing called "character development" that the scriptwriter apparently never heard of.

The plot holes were even worse, but that's another post.  8)
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2013, 08:08:10 AM »
This is Tony Stark.  How many times did he climb in and out of the bottle, ruin serious relationships and lost his company again and again in the comics?  Ego can sometimes be a terrible thing.

And given Tony's resources he could whip up a custom suit for whatever threat in what, a day.  Plus he blew up the suits, not the plans.

Sure he kept going toe to toe with the blowtorch people.  But that's because movie goers didn't pay to watch someone bring a sniper rifle to a fist fight.  Now considering the number of Extremis soldiers crawling all over that boat plus his need to rescue Pepper, until he didn't need to, it required him to get in close.  Plus due to his previous battles he discovered that his gauntlet repulsors wouldn't keep them down.  Plus they have an unfortunate tendency to explode killing everyone in 15 to 20 yards without cover.  Also they have combat jump six slotted ED be damned.  Enemy who can jump up or down 2 stories can be disrupt standard tactics.

Sure those one off gauntlet lasers or the anti-tank micro missile could make quick work of a few of them (but they wouldn't show that in a PG13 Marvel movie) but again rescuing Pepper (and the President but that was Rhodey's job) was priority one.  Couldn't really bring out the big guns until he got her safe.   In the end he also didn't want Killian to get away and hanging back increased that possibility while getting in his face kept him from escaping.

And did you see the HISHE for Iron Man 3?  "Hey I just realized, Disney recycled the plot of The Incredibles.  You're Syndrome and I have a black best friend with his own super suit."
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2013, 01:00:30 PM »
Okay, here's one: destroying all his suits at the end of the movie.  What's he going to do in the next Avengers movie?  Consult?

Build more? He's always building newer, better ones. It's what Tony Stark does.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2013, 03:02:33 PM »
Build more? He's always building newer, better ones. It's what Tony Stark does.
That and very nonchalantly just throws away anything that's out of date.

"What, this old thing?  I made another one with a better paint job." *toss*
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2013, 04:35:40 PM »
"What, this old thing?  I made another one with a better paint job." *toss*

...Apple?

Tony's entrepreneurial spirit is just so unwavering, he even builds planned obsolescence into his own private toys.