Author Topic: Everywhere I look there is fail.  (Read 14394 times)

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
Re: Everywhere I look there is fail.
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 11:58:22 PM »
Why is it that whenever I see the title of this thread, I can't help but imagine it being sung as a line in a Broadway musical?

Because it's dramatic.

Plus, you are silly.

:D
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 02:14:26 AM »
...a compound that mimics estrogen doesn't change mens' sex. Sex is a physical state. Your penis doesn't fall off if you get a bunch of estrogen (or estrogen-alike).

Sometimes I wonder how stable you are, with some of these offhand comments you make. O.O

yeah, I get that allot, I suppose cause I'm a study-a-holic and some of the things I learn blow peoples minds.

they linked BPA with gender mutation in fetuses, infants and small children and warn mothers not to eat it if they are breast feeding. cases also show that certain male college students who eat primarily canned products have developed more womanly figures and even moobs. yeah your penis wont fall off but researchers don't know what happens with extremely large doses in humans yet so I wouldn't quote me on that.

Honestly, after 8 years and 360+ episodes you wanted Bleach to continue.

Now I like the show but when they had a flashback to a story arc which itself was a flashback, it was getting a little silly.

it was one of those shows that helped me do my cosplay exercises (feels like mint blancmanche when saying that).. I bought a real copy of ichigo's shikai (second variation) and used it to do gardenning in south carolina (kudzu and wysteria can be formitable adversaries but a chain link fense will take a notch out of poor zangetsu's edge....)

I hate to call unicorn on anyone, but I fully support joshex if he is one. The ultimate Project Titan Unicorn, designed to infiltrate us, permeate a special kind of crazy everywhere over several years to cast all of Titan as crazies.

If indeed joshex is this mastermind Unicorn I say...good on you, sir.

heh or maybe it's just to liven spirits. I will note there is always a bit of comedy in my posts nless they are strictly business or typed when I'm half asleep, I... suppose I am a unicorn sometimes, and.. in the past I have unicorned hard on some sites..

Why is it that whenever I see the title of this thread, I can't help but imagine it being sung as a line in a Broadway musical?

you have captured my curiousity, I so badly want to write a comedy play like that now.... MUST RESTRAIN, HAVE>> TOO MANY PROJECTS ALLREADY... oooooh fine... hehehe ^^^ the inner unicorn in me is taking over, just like when I'd go on protector and spam global chat with innane jokes about certain NPC's adult ramifications. that is until some of the more respectable members would kindly ask me to stop.

Didn't they finish up on Thursday? Bet the lilacs are all faded now, too. But at least you can get a garbage plate without having to drive 400 miles.

I forget when I went out, they may have finished on thursday, all I know is I don't go out much, I have what I call 'elf syndrome', in public I feel everyone looks at me like I'm some strange creature so.. I try to keep out of sight. which means I don't go out much. when i was a kid I wouldn't go into any stores or public places alone, yet I'd feel at home in a forest amongst the trees playing saria's song on a plastic ocarina.

I did actually see the lilacs while I was driving past there. I think they still have a while, the festival is coming up but I'm dirt poor lol.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:30:34 AM by Joshex »
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 04:39:10 AM »
I think I saw a music video on MTV the other day...No wait, they don't play them anymore...
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 06:48:51 AM »
I signed up for Netflix's streaming site. Epic fail. Every time I look for something I want to watch...

Star Wars? The Good, The Bad and The Ugly? ? Terminator? Indiana Jones? The Blues Brothers? Dr. Strangelove? Pirates of the Carribean?
"Not available for streaming"
As are most of the movies I would actually pay to see. Including ones I wouldn't, like Gone With The Wind.

They need to change their extremely misleading name. They do have plenty of TV shows, but Arrested Development and Fringe are not "flix".
If it were a video store I'd be laughing while walking out.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
I signed up for Netflix's streaming site. Epic fail. Every time I look for something I want to watch...

Star Wars? The Good, The Bad and The Ugly? ? Terminator? Indiana Jones? The Blues Brothers? Dr. Strangelove? Pirates of the Carribean?
As are most of the movies I would actually pay to see. Including ones I wouldn't, like Gone With The Wind.

They need to change their extremely misleading name. They do have plenty of TV shows, but Arrested Development and Fringe are not "flix".

This is not up to Netflix though, each studio dictates what they can and can't stream. Right now licensing has caused a huge mess where you'd Hulu+, Netflix, iTunes, Crackle, Redbox, Vimeo, and about 10 other services to get access to most but not all movies for streaming.  Last I heard Apple was trying to use their clout to get all studios under one roof for streaming purposes but even they didn't get anywhere. Basically studios are still scared of the internet and are treating it like we're still in the 90s.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 04:31:29 PM »
This is not up to Netflix though, each studio dictates what they can and can't stream. Right now licensing has caused a huge mess where you'd Hulu+, Netflix, iTunes, Crackle, Redbox, Vimeo, and about 10 other services to get access to most but not all movies for streaming.  Last I heard Apple was trying to use their clout to get all studios under one roof for streaming purposes but even they didn't get anywhere. Basically studios are still scared of the internet and are treating it like we're still in the 90s.

Maybe the problem is actually the music. Music licenses are limited, meaning older films keep having to get butchered more and more because of some freaking song playing in the background, or they just take the easy route and don't sell the film in any form anymore. It's ridiculous.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 04:54:38 PM »
Maybe the problem is actually the music. Music licenses are limited, meaning older films keep having to get butchered more and more because of some freaking song playing in the background, or they just take the easy route and don't sell the film in any form anymore. It's ridiculous.
That was an issue with Married with Children.  Back when the show first came out, the license they obtained for "Love and Marriage" covered the first airing and syndication, so if you see the show playing on TV, you'll still hear Sinatra singing over the opening credits.  The license did not, however, cover distribution on video (VCRs were new and that hadn't really been thought of at the time), and it definitely didn't cover streaming (no one had even heard of the internet when the show premiered).  If you watch the show on video or stream an episode, the music sounds nothing like "Love and Marriage" because they didn't have the rights to use it for those purposes.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 08:15:22 PM »
Ownership comes into it, as well. Hulu is a joint venture between, basically, the major media corporations that are not owned by Disney, so the networks  and studios owned by those same corporations are not going to release the rights for their competitors to stream their material. Also, yes, there is a tangled mess of rights considerations, including the people on both sides of the camera. Stuff like that is making it into contracts for new movies and shows, but it can be headache-inducing for the older films, especially when you have a capricious estate involved.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »
Ownership comes into it, as well. Hulu is a joint venture between, basically, the major media corporations that are not owned by Disney, so the networks  and studios owned by those same corporations are not going to release the rights for their competitors to stream their material. Also, yes, there is a tangled mess of rights considerations, including the people on both sides of the camera. Stuff like that is making it into contracts for new movies and shows, but it can be headache-inducing for the older films, especially when you have a capricious estate involved.

Yeah, heh, remember when competition was allegedly a good thing for the consumer?

I shudder to think what our world would be like if there had been a patent system back when fire and simple machines were discovered. Or if businesses were obsessed with exclusive tech designs when electricity first became popular. We'd be needing universal voltage and outlet adapters even in our home country.

God...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 08:34:09 PM »

Yea the reason I don't use netflix. Plenty of movies but not many available of the ones I want to watch or don't already own. Would be waste of money for me. Or rather was as I tried it for a while but never could find a movie I was looking for not available for streaming message. Went Amazon and been happy ever since except might have find American Psycho the "old fashion" way and order it from a vendor on Amazon.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 09:38:13 PM »
I find myself using Netflix to watch TV series I otherwise wouldn't have, personally.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 09:48:51 PM »
All the old stuff I care about, I have on VHS or first-gen DVD anyway. Netflix is still nice for new stuff that you want to see, without having to deal with a million TV ads, or $20+ theater tickets.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 10:08:25 PM »
I use Netflix to watch tv shows and its very good for that.  I watched the first 4 seasons of Breaking Bad on it so I am ready for this season (even though I did miss the first half of the season which I have to watch on Amazon for $1.99 an episode).  I have also found movies I have wanted to watch like "Thor" and "Captain America" on there.  But it is severely limited as to what is on there but for $8 a month, its worth it.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 10:51:01 PM »
Yeah, heh, remember when competition was allegedly a good thing for the consumer?

I shudder to think what our world would be like if there had been a patent system back when fire and simple machines were discovered. Or if businesses were obsessed with exclusive tech designs when electricity first became popular. We'd be needing universal voltage and outlet adapters even in our home country.

God...

I'm all about protecting your rights, to a point. What I found frightening, most recently, was the recent decision against the small farmer who was using follow-on generations of Monsanto seeds with other Monsanto products, which is evidently in violation of agreements for using their product line. It bothers me not because I think Monsanto abuses its influence (like having a "protection act" named after them), but because they chose to go after the end user, who was trying to reduce overhead, instead of the seed coop that was knowingly selling this guy all of the aforementioned products.

The problem that I see is that there's a disconnect in where the "blame" for an infraction really belongs.

(And, I'm sure some here are going to disagree with that viewpoint.)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 12:01:01 AM »
It bothers me not because I think Monsanto abuses its influence (like having a "protection act" named after them)
Let's clarify something.  The "Monsanto Protection Act" is not the actual name of the legislation that was passed.  It's also a protective measure for all farmers, not for just the ones that grow crops engineered by Monsanto.  Without the act, any corporate farm could claim that something a mom & pop farmer was growing was dangerous and shut the farm down while they spent corporate money to delay the court proceedings as long as it took to drive the family farm into bankruptcy.  With the act, the farm is guaranteed the right to continue farming their crops until a final ruling is made.

Monsanto might be able to abuse that act, but it wasn't designed to protect them.  It was designed to protect the farmers I grew up with.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 01:33:52 AM »
ummm, netflix? HAH... lol i thought no one would pay for that scam...

I get all my online watching done on gorrilavid and other sites like veo or however it's spelled, all the free online streams, granted theres stuff I can't find, like national lampoon's christmas vacation but I have that on VHS so meh..

if I want to watch it and I can't find it for free online, then;

it has to be good enough and have a lack of embarassing qualities enough for me to go to a store and buy it.

for example, sorry disney but I wont be buying most of your movies, maybe pirates of the caribean but the kids films... sorry I have elf syndrome as it is.. i have a hard time walking into a store and buying anything, now you want me to buy a DVD copy of a kids film.. sorry I could never deal with how the store keeper would stare at me even if I was only there with the person buying it.

and if a movie is trash, i wont buy it at all, I'll watch what I can stand of it online and then flame it online. and send you abusive emails outlinigng what sux about it and what I would have done instead.

Now, lets get something straight, IF I should by chance HAPPEN upon a movie which IS actually WIN I will not only fanboy it online i will also buy a DVD copy of it for the record. for replay value's sake and so I can show it to others and replay it when lookign for key points to use as arguments in Flame threads of bad movies, for example your comedy movie sucked, this aspect of it sucked and I've seen this movie in which they showed that doing 'this better aspect' is possible. congratulations enjoy the BURN.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 01:53:31 AM »
Since you guys were talking about Young Justice (nope, never watched it), I'll toss out this webcomic I found recently:  JL8.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 10:06:32 AM »

God...
Edison is often called a patent troll, famous for taking the work of others and innovating around it just slightly, to find a good market -- but then also patenting the work of others and blocking anyone else from entering the market http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20091218/1100247426.shtml

And Edison blocking others from 'fairly' competing with him is a major factor of why we use AC/DC.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »
captain crunch makes poo green

Hmmmmm.

I use Netflix to watch tv shows and its very good for that.  I watched the first 4 seasons of Breaking Bad on it so I am ready for this season (even though I did miss the first half of the season which I have to watch on Amazon for $1.99 an episode).  I have also found movies I have wanted to watch like "Thor" and "Captain America" on there.  But it is severely limited as to what is on there but for $8 a month, its worth it.

For movies it's better that you order them through the mail.  It suck's waiting but they have every and any movie you can think of when you do it like that.  I mostly use it for TV too though.  I got the first 4 seasons of breaking bad on it too.  The first half of season five is actually on Project Free TV.  Now I am not suggesting you should go to that free TV website and watch it....but it is on there.

@Joshex - if you are a fan of looking into some far out things look up a Vacuum Metastability Event.  While it is a completely hypothetical thing its a pretty crazy concept that not many people seem to be familiar with.  Like much of Quantum physics a lot of it just breaks down into some crazy far out stuff that may not even be real*.  But always cool!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:42:22 PM by Taceus Jiwede »

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2013, 12:27:39 PM »
Hmmmmm.  [Edit] - if you are a fan of looking into some far out things look up a Vacuum Metastability Event.  While it is a completely hypothetical thing its a pretty crazy concept that not many people seem to be familiar with.  Like much of Quantum physics a lot of it just breaks down into some crazy far out stuff that may not even be real*.  But always cool!
Thanks!  That made for nifty reading!   :D  Seriously, I do like reading about Quantum Mechanics physics, even when it gets strange and bizarre.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine