Author Topic: So if you play Neverwinter...  (Read 5426 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
So if you play Neverwinter...
« on: April 14, 2013, 06:53:45 AM »
As a lot of you probably know, Cryptic is in the final stages of getting ready to release Neverwinter, a new Dungeons & Dragons-based action MMORPG.  Open beta starts in two weeks, and launch will probably be a few weeks after that.  (Or if you've ordered their Hero of the North or Guardian of Neverwinter Founder's pack, there's actually a closed beta weekend going on right now that ends Sunday night, but I digress...)

Anyway, aside from the shameless plug because I'm giving it a good go of it and because I'd like to give some positive kudos to Jack Emmert for how nice he's been to the City of Heroes community since the shutdown was announced, tonight I was able to set my title to a new title after reaching the end of my Feats tree at level 50 on my Control Wizard.  This is probably the one I'll permanently use in-game, hopefully for obvious reasons that this crowd can appreciate.  :)

Jack (and any former Paragon Studios staffers who might have landed on this project), I approve!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: So if you play Neverwinter...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 07:08:34 AM »
Shouldn't this be over in games?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Quinch

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 07:10:45 AM »
RHIP.

{but yes, I agree}

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 07:43:54 AM »
You can set your title to whatever you want? Or do they actually have Paragon Hero on a list of optional titles?

Quinch

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 07:51:10 AM »
The dropdown arrow on the right-hand side implies the latter.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 01:17:34 PM »
Wait are you saying you get that title at level 50? If so I'd say that's pretty awesome.

I'm a Guardian but I'm not around there this weekend. Got other stuff going on. I'll start fresh with early access after the last player wipe.

I don't usually go for fantasy genre MMOs. I like LOTRO, I still keep up my old UO account, I'm beta testing an old school UO-like named Linkrealms and that's pretty much it since MMOs came out. But I gotta say, Neverwinter is fun.

I'll always spend more time wherever there's capes, masks and super tights though.  ;D

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »
You can set your title to whatever you want? Or do they actually have Paragon Hero on a list of optional titles?

You get a dropdown list based on what accomplishments you've earned.  Right now I have 12 options:

Founder (because I bought a Founder's pack to join the game)
Aberrant Slayer (a defeat badge)
Bandit Slayer (a defeat badge)
Goblin Slayer (a defeat badge)
Orc Slayer (a defeat badge)
Troll Slayer (a defeat badge)
Hero of Blacklake (a quest completion badge)
Hero of Neverwinter (a quest completion badge)
Spellplague Survivor (a quest completion badge)
Paragon Hero (for reaching the end of my Feats tree)
Foundry Apprentice (for playing Foundry missions)
Foundry Graduate (for playing Foundry missions)

There are a bunch of others, too, although nothing on the order of magnitude of what was in City of Heroes.

Surelle

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 06:46:21 PM »
Tony, is it based on the same engine as CO I'm assuming?

Is keeping a team together in one mirror just as hard as it was in CO?  Back at CO's launch, it drove me nuts because every time I'd exit a building, I'd be put into a different mirror of that zone than others on  my team, who would wind up on disparate mirrors as well.   I wasn't crazy about a whole lot of things in CO, but that bothered me as much as anything, that constant team fracturing.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 12:22:48 AM »
Yeah now they have option that you choose what shard you want to go to. Its best when doing missions in MC that each team member have that option on and maybe a predetermined shard everyone will exit to.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 12:21:34 PM »
I think the title is just a happy coincidence born of existing terms for high level/tier characters in D&D 4th Ed.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 02:10:47 PM »
The title comes at level 30 actually. At the end of the basic feats tree when you start on your paragon path. :)

Also, open beta = launch. There will be no wipes after April 25th.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »
Tony, is it based on the same engine as CO I'm assuming?

Is keeping a team together in one mirror just as hard as it was in CO?  Back at CO's launch, it drove me nuts because every time I'd exit a building, I'd be put into a different mirror of that zone than others on  my team, who would wind up on disparate mirrors as well.   I wasn't crazy about a whole lot of things in CO, but that bothered me as much as anything, that constant team fracturing.
If you are on a team, it will keep you in the same instance so long as the instance didn't fill. It also seems to try to keep you instanced with guildys, but I'm not positive about that.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 05:50:27 PM »
I was thinking of trying NEverwinter, when I found out it uses the blocking mechanic. Since I find blocking about as fun as filling out a tax return..... oh well.  :-[

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 11:34:29 PM »
I've been getting along fine without using the blocking. It is not critical.  Remembering to move is far more useful. If you are playing the guardian fighter it is a large part of your tanking ability but you can get by without it.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 07:23:51 AM »
I'll say this about blocking (not a lot of experience with it in MMOs). Blocking in Champs felt very gimmicky at first. It's still not a huge part of my game there, but it comes in handy sometimes. But, it's more of an annoyance prevention tool (knock backs) than a defensive tool.

In Neverwinter however, it's a very big part of the way I play my Guardian. It feels right.

(Feels right TO ME--this should be an implied disclaimer on the Internet by now. :roll:)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 03:09:29 AM »

(Feels right TO ME--this should be an implied disclaimer on the Internet by now. :roll:)

Basicaly it should be assumed. Some people miss the memo at times.

"no, I'm not talking about what you see. I'm talking about what I see. But since you brought it up..."

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 08:34:12 AM »
Tony V,

Thanks for explaining the Titles in the game.  I saw someone with Paragon Hero under their name the other day, and thought it was a Guild name.  However I was unable to find the Guild in the listing.  Duh!

Been having fun trying Neverwinter over the weekend, and currently have an Elven Control Wizard at 24 (which I've been running solo, but have helped others who look like they've attracted too much attention) on Beholder server, who I just had to name Sugoi.  This is the most fun I've had in an MMO since CoX closed, and I've tried CO, STO, DCUO, as well as a group of other F2P Fantasy games.

So, has anyone started a Paragon Hero (or Villain) Guild yet?   ;D

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 05:50:35 PM »

So, has anyone started a Paragon Hero (or Villain) Guild yet?   ;D

I know there is a channel called CoX and some of them are in a guild on Dragon (I play on mindflayer).

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 09:31:07 PM »
I'm on mindflayer as well