Author Topic: New Star Trek movie opening soon so new product tie in commercials  (Read 7996 times)

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
Re: New Star Trek movie opening soon so new product tie in commercials
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 04:10:19 AM »
re: Trekkies...

I'm a Trekkie.  I love Abrams Trek.  I love ALL Trek.  But that doesn't mean I dress up in the costumes and start nitpicking every stinking thing they got wrong with the reboot, or even Enterprise's mishaps.  THAT is a "Trekker."  Way way different, ya ask me, the two.

It's entertainment.  Even TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY got their *own* canon wrong.  It happens.  Tis fiction, it tis.  Take it with a grain of salt and just... let it go man.  Be entertained.

As such, I liked Trek '09, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like Trek '13.  I hope.  I'll let ya know tomorrow night, after I see it.

/Oh, and in Lois and Clark, the Kents were very much alive all through the series.  Nobody cared, show went on, Lois and Clark got married... things do NOT have to be what was written/drawn before, and it can be just fine. 
//You just have to let it go.  Ender's Game is gonna be *AWESOME*.  And suck because it's not going to be anything like the book.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 05:19:32 AM »
Heh, as far as I knew, Trekkies were people who were fans from the very beginning, and Trekkers were fans who came on board with TNG or beyond. Never heard either had anything to do with cosplay or detail-oriented analyses.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 07:44:23 AM »
Trekers are Trekies who think the word Trekies sound undignifying.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 06:43:20 AM »
Yeah, that too.  Totally being way too serious about a fictional series... although they're both spelled with two 'k's.  :)

As I myself will point out to anyone... Stuff ain't real, people.

'course, they'd be all "no, we have tricorders and hyposprays and cloaking things (stealth and now actual cloaking cloth...)" 

And I'd be all "where's the transporter?  Hell, where's warp drive?"

And... well, ok, time to stop. :)

---

Saw the movie.  It rocks.  A lot.  And since I purposely didn't get anything spoilt by any source except a trailer here and there?  There were a few "Oh, wow, lookie there what they did!" moments.  And I figured out something immediately upon one particular action by a particular someone, and no I won't say any spoilers.

Go.  Watch.  Enjoy Trek.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 06:59:20 AM »
Yeah, that too.  Totally being way too serious about a fictional series... although they're both spelled with two 'k's.  :)

As I myself will point out to anyone... Stuff ain't real, people.

Ehh... I could try and explain the viewpoint of why people are actually getting annoyed with Abrams, but it seems it would be an utter waste of time.

I'll try to simplify it.

You know how we've reacted to the idea of CoH 'coming back' in the form of some iPhone game? That's how AbramsTrek looks to fans of the classics. Fun? Sure. Looks cool? Absolutely. Substance...... *scanners detect no signs of life*

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:39:52 AM by FatherXmas »

Olde Glory

• Minion
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 09:32:57 AM »
Over the years, my viewpoint has changed on this subject. I collected comic books in the 80's and 90's. When a tv show or movie came out, it was a sure lock that it would be a retelling/re-imagining, piss-poor adaptation-with-different-character story telling. Cannon was at the very least altered (if not totally ignored) to put the most popular character of the day (Wolverine) in the story. It really used to really piss me off.

Then, as I got older, had kids and a career, etc, I stopped collecting comics. I kept up with the major story arcs via the internet but didn't have the same level of involvement.

Now I watch movies and TV shows with my kids and enjoy them all. Why? Because I don't really care about what is cannon. DC does a really good job of it with their animated offerings. It might be because they just say, "to hell with it" and reboot things every leap year. It might also be that since their characters are based on an archetype you just have to have a general sense of who a character is for the story to work. Marvel is a little more involved but it was still fun watching ASM and seeing what makes the character cool for my kids. They aren't mad that MJ and Peter were forced apart by an editorial decision. Their response was, "I like Gwen Stacy".

Does it mean that I'm not as much as a fan because cannon isn't important? I don't know. All I can tell you is that even though IM3 was a little off for me, I liked it.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 11:29:38 PM »
[Spock]
After further analysis and due consideration, I reverse my original position and now consider this movie ... acceptable.
[/Spock]

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 12:21:34 AM »
To start, I'll say that I've been a Trek fan as long as I can remember, and I'm usually very different from most. I can't say I dislike any of the first 10 movies, and consider Enterprise my favorite of the TV series. I enjoyed STXI, even though it wasn't the Star Trek I knew and loved. However, if this last movie were just a sci-fi film called "Into Darkness" I'd say it was one of the best movies I'd seen in a while. But with Star Trek tacked on, it disappoints me greatly. Abrams could have done anything with this movie, with this new timeline, and what's the first thing he does: re-hashes a previous movie. Not just any movie either, but the one most fans seem to consider the best Trek movie.

Spoiler for Hidden:
[/b]

Before they even said his name on screen, I knew who he was after Kirk started punching him and the guy just took it. But to "keep an open mind" I told myself "ok he's an augment, but hey that doesn't mean it has to be 'him'. Enterprise had augments without Kahn, after all (speaking of, why did the Klingons have ridges? They should've still been affected by the augment DNA since everything that happened in ENT should've happened in this timeline too)." Then they said his name, and I facepalmed. Then they had Kirk save the ship like Spock did in WOK, and I double facepalmed. Then they did the whole "I have been, and always shall be, your friend" bit just with the role reversal, and I almost facebackseated the chair in front of me. Finally, Spock did the "KAAAAAHHHHHNNNNN" yell, and I almost walked out (only didn't cause my friend was entranced by the whole thing).

That's the thing that angers me more than anything else. There was almost no originality shown here other than how the augments are encountered, with the Admiral, USS Vengeance, etc. I'm honestly not sure if I want to see what he does with Star Wars. He might just shock the world by telling everyone that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father, or that Luke and Leia are twins.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 01:31:25 AM »
To start, I'll say that I've been a Trek fan as long as I can remember, and I'm usually very different from most. I can't say I dislike any of the first 10 movies, and consider Enterprise my favorite of the TV series. I enjoyed STXI, even though it wasn't the Star Trek I knew and loved. However, if this last movie were just a sci-fi film called "Into Darkness" I'd say it was one of the best movies I'd seen in a while. But with Star Trek tacked on, it disappoints me greatly. Abrams could have done anything with this movie, with this new timeline, and what's the first thing he does: re-hashes a previous movie. Not just any movie either, but the one most fans seem to consider the best Trek movie.

Spoiler for Hidden:
[/b]

Before they even said his name on screen, I knew who he was after Kirk started punching him and the guy just took it. But to "keep an open mind" I told myself "ok he's an augment, but hey that doesn't mean it has to be 'him'. Enterprise had augments without Kahn, after all (speaking of, why did the Klingons have ridges? They should've still been affected by the augment DNA since everything that happened in ENT should've happened in this timeline too)." Then they said his name, and I facepalmed. Then they had Kirk save the ship like Spock did in WOK, and I double facepalmed. Then they did the whole "I have been, and always shall be, your friend" bit just with the role reversal, and I almost facebackseated the chair in front of me. Finally, Spock did the "KAAAAAHHHHHNNNNN" yell, and I almost walked out (only didn't cause my friend was entranced by the whole thing).

That's the thing that angers me more than anything else. There was almost no originality shown here other than how the augments are encountered, with the Admiral, USS Vengeance, etc. I'm honestly not sure if I want to see what he does with Star Wars. He might just shock the world by telling everyone that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father, or that Luke and Leia are twins.

First, with the Enterprise story dealing with Augments and the Klingons, it only affected one Klingon colony and not the home world.  So the Klingons were left with an entire colony that could be used as breeding stock for Federation spies without the need of extensive surgery in Kirk's time.  So no big thing that Klingons, like Ruffles, have ridges.  Also remember back to all the ST Kirk/Spock movies with ridged Klingons.  So that didn't phase me at all.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Yes, the movie took elements from ST2 (with a twist) and ST6 and made a story.  I'm sure the next JJ Star Trek will have time travel to stop the Borg from assimilating humpback whales while new sexy Uhura fan dances. :p

I didn't mind the rejigging of the ST2 death of Spock scene.  If one theme of the movie is about Kirk learning that he can't song and dance his way out of everything, sacrificing himself to save his crew at least showed that he learned.  I actually like it that in ST2 Spock saved the day by using his knowledge of ship systems to get main power back online while here Kirk kicks the damn warp core into alignment.

As for "surprise" it's him.  I liked it that when he was butt kicking Klingons that he was wearing a similar outfit to when Chekov runs into him in ST2 it foreshadowed the big reveal nicely.

ST2 is 30 years old.  The original series almost 50.  They blew up all that canon 4 years ago.  And I love that this is actually the start of the "5 year mission".

Overall it was certainly better than most of the odd number original series ST films and the last few of the NG movies which were just alright to "we only have budgets for dune buggies" and we find yet another Data prototype.  And what I considered a major achievement for a JJ Abrams movie, relatively little lens flair this time around.

And as for JJ's Star Wars, he's doing episode 7, not a reboot.  Sure any of the accepted novel canon may be totally ignored but for those of us who didn't soak in it, it will be a heck of a lot better than knowing how things will turn out in the prequels.