Author Topic: Banners for ads  (Read 22652 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Banners for ads
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2013, 11:49:07 PM »
I would normally say be careful with numbers because if you put 150,000 NCSoft fans are in support, but only actually 20,000-30,000 only show up it sends message that the majority of the fan base dont care so why should they. Wait!! Dont listen to that! That's me being toooo cautious and thinking too much into it.

It's an advertisement of course it suppose to inflate a little. Hell yeah, that post looks very good. Straight to the point, good message, and it caught my attention, and gives a feeling of solidarity. So when it's going up?

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2013, 12:04:22 AM »
I can understand the point of fear mongering ... but .... flip side ... 5 games closed in 5 years .... :/
Just sayin'

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2013, 12:16:57 AM »
I can understand the point of fear mongering ... but .... flip side ... 5 games closed in 5 years .... :/
Just sayin'

+1.

That is a fact that cannot be denied. Now we can say 5 games in 5 years or flip it to make it even more horrible sounding WHILE, keeping it true. Although I think 5 games in 5 years would get any MMO player just about to look twice. It takes more than a year of playing long hours to get to level 50 in WoW (well it did take me that long at least.) .

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2013, 04:32:15 AM »
Just sayin'

Yes but two, Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa died in under two years.  That's "infant mortality" phase for MMOs.  No different than Earth and Beyond or Sim City Online from EA.

Exteel wasn't an MMO, not really and as I pointed out Dragonica isn't closed, NCSOFT simply didn't renew the deal as publisher in Korea and now someone else is publishing it there.  It's not even their game.

I'm all for the fear mongering because if Sony and Micro$oft do require the next gen console to be online at all times to play even single player local games then a many fold number of people could experience the "joy" of having a game they purchased cease to function one day due to a whim of the publisher.  This has to be nipped in the bud right now or before we know it we will not own personal copies of anything anymore.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2013, 10:19:50 AM »
Yes but two, Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa died in under two years.  That's "infant mortality" phase for MMOs.  No different than Earth and Beyond or Sim City Online from EA.

Exteel wasn't an MMO, not really and as I pointed out Dragonica isn't closed, NCSOFT simply didn't renew the deal as publisher in Korea and now someone else is publishing it there.  It's not even their game.

I'm all for the fear mongering because if Sony and Micro$oft do require the next gen console to be online at all times to play even single player local games then a many fold number of people could experience the "joy" of having a game they purchased cease to function one day due to a whim of the publisher.  This has to be nipped in the bud right now or before we know it we will not own personal copies of anything anymore.

Mind you, I didn't say 5 MMOs, I said 5 games. And this is not counting Dragonica. Here's the list I found:
Auto Assault - 8/2007
Dungeon Runners - 1/2010
Exteel - 9/2010
Tabula Rasa - 2/2009
City of Heroes - 11/2012

Just saying ... regardless of the infancy or maturity of these games, these are hard facts that would make just about anyone raise an eyebrow. It might also be a good idea to track the Reuters article & quote "game cannibalism" ... if it instills fear ... oh well so be it. It's not without good darned reason. But we're doing nothing but sharing the absolute truth.

EDIT: Actually, this gave me an idea for banner content:

"Game Cannibalism" (link to Reuters on whatever landing page the banner leads to)
5 games closed in 5 years (put the above list on said page)
Could yours be next?

Yes, I know the "could yours be next" might be seen as "fear mongering" but, when looking at the facts, it's a darned viable question.

Heck, apparently NC is already screwing with the release date of BnS, according to an article leaked on their NA FB page. This is what they do. People are flipping out over it, and NC hasn't said a word. ... Sound familiar?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:58:02 AM by Tanklet »

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2013, 12:23:48 PM »
Or what happened to the initial release of the PS3 could happen to the new consoles: people will hear it HAS to be connected to the internet to work at all, and will say, "well, sheesh, I'll just stick with my current one."

(The PS3 was just so ludicrously expensive that nobody bought it for quite some time. This is a different consideration, but one I know to which many people will still react badly enough to stick with their old ones.)

Out of curiosity, why did you spell "Microsoft" with a dollar-sign, but not "Sony?"

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »
Out of curiosity, why did you spell "Microsoft" with a dollar-sign, but not "Sony?"

Old habits die hard.  Not that I'm an Apple or Linux guy or anything but more times than not they've coerced PC companies with their pricing to keep the PC OEMs offering only Windows pre-installed.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2013, 04:56:10 PM »
Ah, so just habitual way of spelling both?

I wasn't disputing the $-usage. While I don't like it, personally, I am not about to try to argue against it on this forum, where such an issue is at best divisive. I was mostly just curious why not "$ony" if "Micro$oft" is your preferred spelling. Didn't know if the former company had a better reputation with you or something.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2013, 05:49:09 PM »
Ah, so just habitual way of spelling both?

I wasn't disputing the $-usage. While I don't like it, personally, I am not about to try to argue against it on this forum, where such an issue is at best divisive. I was mostly just curious why not "$ony" if "Micro$oft" is your preferred spelling. Didn't know if the former company had a better reputation with you or something.

Sony doesn't control an entire industry by default.  Sony has done me no wrong.  But Micro$oft ...

It costs me $100 minimum on top of the cost of hardware to build any PC computer.  OEMs get it for a lot less and for a time only if they also bundled Office.  Then there's the time they tried to add proprietary extensions to IE instead of going through proper channels to get them added to the international standard.  Then the fact it took them until Dx9 to get a 3D API that was as complete as OpenGL which existed years before they introduced Dx1, again not working with the existing standard.  Now they embrace open standards, more often than not.  But there was a time in the 90s they were very ruthless for a company that already controlled 90+% of the OS market.  Back in the mid 80s, early 90s I loved Microsoft, they had the coolest tools but back then they were primarily an OS and development tool company. 

I'm a software developer by trade.  But I've seen Microsoft destroy entire industries over the years.  Industries that had numerous companies competing with each other.  I've seen Microsoft tell developers to use these methods over here, which in turn makes slower, bloated code when Microsoft's developers use entirely different means so their product is faster and sleeker.  I've seen their compilers lag behind 3rd party ones in terms of standards support but you are "required" to use Microsoft's if you want to be able to access newer functions when developing for their latest version of Windows.  They steadfastly refuse to support C++ for at least five years after it became the de facto development language written in programming magazines, books and taught at college and when they did finally come out with a C++ compiler it was a joke, years behind the current standard.  It's almost as if they didn't want people to develop software for their OS.

And it was during those times I decided to call them Micro$oft, like many other disillusioned Windows developers at the time.

Like I said, Sony has done me no wrong.  Microsoft wiped out a vibrant PC landscape in order to become the one dominate PC software company left standing.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2013, 12:05:02 AM »
Well, Apple hasn't exactly been cool either.
In the 90's, I loved Macintosh's. they had the best graphics and PC layout tool. I invested in a Quadra, took all the money I had. Then only to find out I had to buy a $100 mouse to complete the system. PC mice were $14.
I was pissed.

When I worked at Motorola, they had Apples everywhere. They eventually got tired of Apple forcing the company to buy all new computers every time they upgraded their OS. That's a lot of money for a company to keep computers on their production floor. I saw this. Apple eventually told Motorola, IBM they couldn't produce the Power PC either after allowing them to do so for a few years. Not much difference between Microsoft and Apple......just their tactics.

I'm a PC user because Apple is too expensive and these days graphics,software isn't an issue. Nothing personal. Linux probably will be the future anyway.

Quinch

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2013, 01:55:23 PM »
A couple of quick and dirty concepts -

First, a background. Since we can't use the NCsoft logo, I've tried to come up with something that's evocative without being all... infringe-y.

This one... I'm not really sure about, since I'm worried it might come off as coming on too strong on the threat facet - the streak in question is, naturally, the string of shut-down and shuttered MMOs.

I'll admit I'm proud of the tagline on this - it's short, simple, focuses on the positive, plays into the whole "sunset" euphemism for shutdown and emphasizes that it's always possible to bounce back from a negative event.

The composition for these two is an absolute mess, so if anyone thinks they can fix it, that would be awesome. I've borrowed the picture from EspionageDB7 - I've dropped him a note asking if he'd be okay with us using it, as well as checking if there's a version without the red background, given the whole contextual meaning of red color in Korean culture.

As for text, I considered the plural - "the torches are still burning", to imply that there's still a lot of us around, but I think it would have come off as a torches-and-pitchforks kind of deal, rather than "there's still plenty of interest, for good or ill".

The "be a hero" is kind of a multi-pronged deal. It implies that NCsoft has the option to sell CoH out of the goodness of their hearts {or, far more likely, to look that way} as well as a reminder about the "exhausted all options" dismissiveness. Or that they can continue going the way they've been and come off looking the villain.

Think there's anything worthwhile these can be hammered into? Design is not my strong point.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2013, 10:14:55 PM »
I like 'The torch is still burning'. It's obvious the simple meaning behind it.
Nothing to do with 'pitchforks' could be implied by this at all..

I also prefer the text font as well, it's instantly easy to see and read.
the other font [be a hero- call jack] kind of makes you look at it a second to interpret the letters.

The red does kind of reflect the 'urgency' to it. Not sure what red means in korean culture.

If you wish to replace the red, all I can think of is maybe a simplified building gif,- City Hall was the place most people held torches of vigilance.

2nd idea...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:30:56 PM by MaidMercury »

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2013, 02:04:02 AM »
Posted this in a similar thread, but I thought I'd post it here, too:

I just read that the Google pitch package is getting ready to go out (http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7899.260.html).

It seems like now would be the time to put those last-minute touches on the banners and get them out there so Google can easily see that there's still a market for our game and a dedicated community ready to come flocking back (with money in hand).

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2013, 11:45:19 PM »
I'm back.

I've been out of touch for a few weeks with a downed home PC (now fixed - needed whole new boot drive and my technician has been busy) and I've been working 14-hour days at a frantic pace.

However, I'm back and ready to contribute funding for our ad campaign.

We just need:

1)  Ads with no CoH IP and no negative messages that fit the sizes for Google's ad service.
2)  A website to link them to.

I'm sitting here with a ready credit card if we can get these going...

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2013, 12:59:45 AM »
I was told this is former news...
I sometimes arrive late on the scene, but still motivated when it comes to CoH.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2013, 10:43:41 PM »
Ugh!  Ok, this effort looks seriously stalled.  Time to jump-start it...CLEAR!...[zap!]

Vy:  I'm willing to run with what you've got right now and pay for the ads.

Someone else (or maybe also Vy):  No one's stepped forward to create a website, despite Vy starting us off with a rather good template.  So I'm upping the ante.  I'll pay someone to finish her beginnings of a webpage for the ads to link to.  Who wants to earn some extra $?  PM me to discuss, but this is getting ridiculous.  Let's go somewhere with this - both of these threads have derailed into useless irrelevancy and we need to get back on track.

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2013, 03:36:00 AM »
I'm hearin' ya. Work got real hectic this past week, but I have been working on the website code and layout here and there when I can. I'll try to provide a more detailed update this weekend. Good news, work slows down for me starting next week so I'll have more opportunities to work on the website.
Save City of Heroes | http://www.ourcityofheroes.com/

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »
Update:  Vy says 2 to 3 weeks for her to finish the website the ads will link to.  This week sometime (I hope), I will look into just where I need to submit them to at Google and how much they will cost.  So hopefully middle of June to get these live.

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2013, 09:39:03 PM »
Ugh!  Ok, this effort looks seriously stalled.  Time to jump-start it...CLEAR!...[zap!]

Vy:  I'm willing to run with what you've got right now and pay for the ads.

Someone else (or maybe also Vy):  No one's stepped forward to create a website, despite Vy starting us off with a rather good template.  So I'm upping the ante.  I'll pay someone to finish her beginnings of a webpage for the ads to link to.  Who wants to earn some extra $?  PM me to discuss, but this is getting ridiculous.  Let's go somewhere with this - both of these threads have derailed into useless irrelevancy and we need to get back on track.

*ahem*

I've volunteered to help several times. Several times.
If help is still needed to quicken the ETA, I'm still willing to help.

EDIT: And no need to pay me for it either.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2013, 10:41:45 PM »
*ahem*

I've volunteered to help several times. Several times.
If help is still needed to quicken the ETA, I'm still willing to help.

EDIT: And no need to pay me for it either.
Fantastic!  Contact Vy and coordinate with her on website construction.  Her framework for it looks pretty good, now she's just trying to "fill it in" and we'll be ready to run.  Your helping to speed this up would be greatly appreciated.