Author Topic: How to spot Unicorns.  (Read 2989 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
How to spot Unicorns.
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:46:23 PM »
Now it aint what it look like!  ;D.

Ok maybe it is, but this is more for informational purposes than anything mixed in with a little fun, joking, but can be a serious matter to cope with as people move on to other games with a totally different set of crowd than what they was used to in COX.

ANd before I go any further, let me make this absolutely clear. IM NOT SAYING EVERYONE SHOULD MOVE ON.

While most games have rules against trolls and trolling behavior, how many of ya'll been to games where enforcement seems to leave something desired? Like ever come across a person who been there for years and seems they never had anything to say that wasnt trollish behavior and wonder, why the hell isnt this guy banned already? It's like in some games you basically have to invite them over to your house, capture them and drag them kicking and screaming to the moderator's house before it even raise an eyebrow that they exist.

First, a person have to know how to spot them. Now in the old days they were easy tospot. They are usually the brash, obnoxious folk that spew nothing but hate about religion, political parties, race sexual orientation and other obvious signs that they are there to do nothing but cause disruption. But now and days, like criminals althoug hthey aint criminals per se, they gotten a bit more savy of "bending" the rules.

Sadly the term troll been thrown around so much that many moderators basically put reports about trolls in the "i'll get to it when I get to it" bin.

1) the rabid flamer. Now these comes in variety of behavior from the classic troll to one that more subliminal. They sometimes flame people for the most minor things under the guise of "being blunt", "Trying to help." "Hey, that's just my opinion take it or leave it.". The difference between being blunt is usually even blunt people stick to the subject and the topic and idea and not the person. I.E. A blunt person might say, "I think that is a stupid idea." Harsh yes, but blunt, but not attacking the person. Now the "blunt troll" will most likely word it "You are stupid for suggesting that idiotic idea. Now go sit in a corner and cry yourself to sleep." See, although they also attacked the idea, they also attacked the person. And when the person replies usually in a rejectionary manner, the troll then usually follows up with "hey I'm just being blunt"  or "Sorry for trying to help."

2)The Priggish Grammar Troll- Now some, spelling is a pet peeve and that does not automaticaly make them a troll. But they are fairly easy to spot if looked at closely. The troll of this manner usually only correct grammar/mispellings of posts they also conviently disagree with. They also usually never address the main point of the post and or claim the point is lost because of a misuse of your instead of the proper you're. And lastly they usually only correct anyone but their own postings and postings of the people they agree with and or is a friend of. On top of that, they usually claim to be English Professors who curiously cant distinguise the difference between informal and formal communication. But these are also known to use the excuse of "Hey, I was just trying to help."

3)The Crybaby- Oh yes, this is the new FoTM troll. They swear they are leaving but never do. They swear they are done with the forum but still remain. Moderators usually see alot of these more so than the general public because sometimes other trolls tranform into this type when they report someone.

4)The Never-Give-Up, Never-Surrender Troll-These ones are usually the most annoying IMO. You can never have a discussion with these people. There is no such thing as disagreeing with these people and any opinion that is not theirs is always wrong. Why? Because they are always right. Sometimes they will use their populatrity to reinforce their superiority. This troll is the most likely to sock puppet. The main point of this troll is not about the discussion but proving you are wrong, because they are always right there is nothign to prove there, but they must prove that you are wrong at all costs and regardles of facts, even proven ones. Sometimes they go as far as saying opinions are wrong, your experiences are wrong, you view is wrong, your perception is wrong, hell, you're just wrong for being born as far as they are concerned.

5)The Retroactive Stalker- This one can be mere pain the butt or a serious stalking matter. Somehow they have a built in database of every single post you made in the past 8 years and will use them all to bring them up to current times even if it has nothign to do with the topic at hand, just to make a monkey out of you or the very least, get on your nerves.

6)The Lame Teenager- AKA what I call a troll in training. They try their hardest to troll but usually so easy to spot its like shooting fish in a barrel. Cant even take these ones seriously as they are so awefully bad at trolling that it's funny. Note though, many cases these are not actual teenagers but can be some mid aged dude that is just disgruntled because his mom is finally kicking him out of the house.

7)The Self-Feeding Troll- These guys are like cockroaches. They are hard to get rid of especially when they use subliminal tactics. You say something nice, they feed, you fire back, they feed, you report them, they feed, you ignore them they still feeed because they turn it around as "oh people just cant that I'm being blunt and cant handle the truth. They can ignore it all they want but the truth is the truth. If they cant take it, then it's their problem not mine." Just, plain ignore these folks at all cost when they start to exhibit these behaviors.

8)The Bored Hater-An up and coming type of troll that is becoming more common. These people will make an arguement where there is not any. They will argue with you even if you agree with them. Can be confused with the self feeding troll but these guys cant rest on their own and will starve when there isnt trouble or drama. They have been known to start trouble and sit back and let the flame troll take over the thread and many times these people work close with the flame trolls. Sometiems these guys are a bit more blantant and kind of like the classic troll and will use blatant racist remarks especially to people they dont know, at random, and other stuff to stir up stuff. Sometimes it takes some repeated studying to properly spot these trolls. Usually these are the guys that also start up political topics out the blue, or religion topic, and etc when there was no indication that the topic was even goign that way, because they know people get touchy about those topics and people will go at it. And if they dont go at it hard enough, dont worry, his friend the flame troll will spice things up a bit.

9)Nellie McNeggerson- This troll is a damned if you damned if you dont type of troll. You agree with them they stil lwill twist your words and say you are against them. You disagree with them they still will twist your words and say you are against them. When it get to that, leave it alone. Let them have it. This is battle you cant win. They already decided before you even posted that you are wrong, you are against them, you are insulting them, you are "whatever" they think of calling you.

10)The Profane Screamer- Mostly found in PVP sections and also in many cases in PVE. They love ot be team leader that way they can scream at anyone, usually picks one person, and berate them fro not playing the way they think they should be playing, for messing up a tactic, or winning a PVP match against them. Ironically they are also usually the most tolerated. Some games teaming is a must so people figure they will put up with that guy/gal just for this one mish get the reward and bounce. Or in PVP dismiss it as the nature of PVP.

11)
The White Knight- "Off to save the "Damsel" in distress! Hey, there is one thing for heroics and another being this. ANd also this type is also known to go out of their way to "punish" evil doers and or others they percieve as trolls. Trolling a troll is still... *gasp* trolling.

12)The Expert-This guy claims to be expert in everything one day he'sa doctor from Emory University. Next day he's a lawyer out of Harvard. The next a graphic designer out of Full Sail, the next day a  top notch therapist, a TIMES best seller Author, the next a well known CEO of a major corporation they for some reason cannot release details on, the next a doctor again. And their expert view and advice is infallible, so "peons" should not dare challenge the great vast knowledge of the all knowing Expert! How dare they, do they not know who I am?"

13) The Liar-One of the hardest to spot and one that probably cant be reported and probably wont break rules that require reporting in most cases. A few will pose as a mod., but usually that is short lived as they are usually found out very swiftly and never seen again, at least on that account. Usually these claim to be a number of things (See number 12) but usually things with what they say dont add  up to even someone that took a basic anatomy class for example of being a doctor. Usually when the expert is found out they end up being known as The Liar troll in mmo games. On date sites and the likes, the liar troll and the expert can be two totally separate things and easier to spot, especially when ya finally meet the person to realize they are not the nicely shaped person in their mid 20s that was in the profile pic. No that was their cousin and they are really pushing 50 and on the other end, the higher end of 320lbs.

All in all, remember, dont feed them. It'll only encourage them and like a wild animal, they will become accustomed to being fed especially by a few particular people and will come back for more time and time again. And trolling a troll is a 5 course meal to the trolls, not to mention it makes you a troll too, even if the person even remotely deserved it. Sometimes it's easier said than done for some, especially letting the troll get the last word and even more so when the moderators of the game either have no interest in taking care of it for those that break the obvious rules, and not much can be done for those that are techinically trolling but not really breaking the rules.

If it looks like a troll, act like a troll, then...soemtimes it may not be a troll. Sometimes if there is doubt it's better to get clarification, sticking to the fact/topic at hand remember and not attacking the person. Because in many cases it's just some hapless new guy that dont now all the unwritten rules and or someone that mean well. I.E. nit picking about spelling and grammar is totally expected in some circles but frowned upon greatly in others. And one that comes from a nit pick circle, is used to that and thus does what they know and if it's frowned upon a normal person can take the hint, even if it's not generally frowned upon but if it bothers that person, they usually dont force it. When they do, then they crossed the line into troll territory.

Source of titles and part of descriptions from:http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/articles/18-types-of-internet-trolls.

And remember this is all casual stuff. Nothing to get heated about and not pointing out anyone or hinting that these behaviors are present here. I figured that people dont like going to new games, where they already anxious asa new player trying to learn the game, meet people, and seemingly keep ending up treated as a troll and not knowing why and or being the target of them.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Re: How to spot Unicorns.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:24:03 PM »
I know you used to play scarlet blade same as I did, on a number of accounts I reported several players for abuse in Scarlet blade and Grand Fantasia.

Aeria games 'moderation team' (after much talking to) revealed this in summary:

"that troll is a paying customer who buys alot of AP, it would be against our interest to discipline them based on the report from someone who buys little to no AP, even in the case where both players in the argument are paying customers who generally purchase lots of AP we would rather not resort to such drastic measures as banning them, Also we can't really do much about it except talk to them and ask them to play nice; we are just a publisher we have no ability to moderate or ban or check server logs or anything, if we really wanted to do so we would have to send a request to the korean game studio that made the game, and that would just limit the time they have towards making new content."

kinda like saying "our trolls are protected because they buy from us, oh and excuse me while I shrug off responsibility; this game is not made by us, we just publish it, we have no controll and are inclined to not contact the game studio whenever possible. - aka we don't care about trolling or hacking so P!$$-0FF we're not doing anything."

EDIT: Never quote an entire big post, especially when your reply comes immediately after it. -Guy
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:03:45 AM by GuyPerfect »
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »
I know you used to play scarlet blade same as I did, on a number of accounts I reported several players for abuse in Scarlet blade and Grand Fantasia.

Aeria games 'moderation team' (after much talking to) revealed this in summary:

"that troll is a paying customer who buys alot of AP, it would be against our interest to discipline them based on the report from someone who buys little to no AP, even in the case where both players in the argument are paying customers who generally purchase lots of AP we would rather not resort to such drastic measures as banning them, Also we can't really do much about it except talk to them and ask them to play nice; we are just a publisher we have no ability to moderate or ban or check server logs or anything, if we really wanted to do so we would have to send a request to the korean game studio that made the game, and that would just limit the time they have towards making new content."

kinda like saying "our trolls are protected because they buy from us, oh and excuse me while I shrug off responsibility; this game is not made by us, we just publish it, we have no controll and are inclined to not contact the game studio whenever possible. - aka we don't care about trolling or hacking so P!$$-0FF we're not doing anything."

XD.

yeah Scarlet blade's moderation team that turn blind eye to it is one of those games that kind of inspired me to write this and do a little research.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:33:32 AM »
it's the same all over aeriagames now, it's why I changed the name of the topic I started regarding aeria from "possibly good news?" to "possibly bad news!" and made some recent remarks regarding this very thing but from a different angle.

rather than shucking the blame on players, I attribute this to the next stage of the F2P marketing fad.

in city of X I made LOTS of squishies, blasters, trollers, corruptors, mastermind, dominator ETC. some less squishy than others for certain. but all viably flat on the ground during the average ambush without help in around 2 minutes.

so then I made a tanker, invul and EM, that was fun for a while but he was still weak here and there, I was affraid to put sets on him cause I didn't know what I was doing back then.

Then I made my newest tank, I had seen two amazing players one a tanker and one a scrapper I got both of thier mids builds with a little friendly chat. Then I designed my own tank from scratch based on the maximum yield of all the stats I could with the powers I knew would work best. - it's.. invincible. yeah I'd die sometimes but that can't keep this tank down for long, heck most of the time by the time I die my self rez power was up again lol. but most of the time I don;t die, and had incredible damage (close to 300%) and def and regen and recovery so I never needed blues..

I was satisfied.

so why say this? this is exactly the kind of thing that the new F2P marketing scheme wants to avoid, they want to avoid making MMOs that have a true tanking class, instead they want to make the gameplay annoying so that ranged players have the upper hand. why? that keep people unsatisfied with thier characters hoping that it will get better at the next class upgrade, but it never does, they max out thier toons and still suck, so they build another toon and start over never being satisfied, and if they are they'll be nerfed. the players in the meantime seem to have responded by getting really decent at hacking the games.

I saw a Gold hack, I even saw an AP hack (wow guess thats how the trolls buy tons of AP every month)

and of course PvP is heavily hacked lol.

Edit: from the speed and intesity and sheer numbers at which players are learning that the games are unsatisfying and have begun to hack, I estimate that F2P may be in it's last days under the current scheme - I have dropped hints about this in the SB forum. SB showed me something I've never seen before after the open beta, with-in 2 months the game was filled with bots and hackers and the ecconomy took a huge jump day by day due to the influx of gold. it was crazy. I have never seen a game get hacked that quick, and it has some fairly new and decent anti-hacking software!

the current F2P marketing fad is " supply free game but make people pay to be good but never satisfied, ignore cheating and market abuse cause it costs money to hire people to deal with it" - this will crash soon.

the next F2P if they are smart will be "supply free game but make people pay if they want to do anything 'faster', allow satisfied players, and hire a few people to stomp on hackers with some player based reporting programs to let us know to review the player." - kinda like the predecessor of the current scheme.

problem is they are trying to make MAX PROFITS by ignoring problems. do I even need to explain how one problem can be exploited by a million smart trolls? and how word of an exploit will travel?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:47:21 AM by Joshex »
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 04:32:56 AM »
I'm going to start out by cringing at the mild incoherency of the original post because it's funnier that way.  The spelling and grammar is just so... yeesh. ;)

I have, on occasion, come across a little bit 4 and 8.  I have a stubborn streak that will drive me to continue a thread of argument far longer than I probably should, though in the past few years I've gotten better about backing out when I sense I'm getting more emotional about it than I ought to.  Also, I am generally bored when posting, and when posts aren't being made quickly enough I have been known to delve into threads/arguments I might have otherwise left alone.  I don't intend to start/feed flamewars (not all arguments need devolve into that), though that has happened on more than one occasion.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 01:11:45 PM »
I'm going to start out by cringing at the mild incoherency of the original post because it's funnier that way.  The spelling and grammar is just so... yeesh. ;).

That is the point. If it was written like I write research papers, it make it easier for someone to miss the light sided and humor in it and take it toooo serious. Dont want that to happen with this topic wich is delicate to begin with.