Author Topic: What are your Favorite Powerset Combinations?  (Read 5666 times)

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
What are your Favorite Powerset Combinations?
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:10:38 PM »
This is 3 part:
1. That you have played to 50.
2. That you have seen others play especially well
3. Wish you could play to 50+3 and beyond(Your allowed to use combinations that work on an archetype level but have not been proliferated yet)

How you define favorite is up to you:
A. Whether that be because they look especially good together(Bots/Traps)
B. Play especially well together as in they don't clash visually or play wise(Dual Blades/WP)
C. Have synergies that make them very effective when paired together, as in almost or entirely over powered(Time/Sonic/GW PPP and Bots/Traps/Mu)

Your not limited to 1 per category but please try to keep it within 10 combos for number 3 (I KNOW how we alt-a-holics can be)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:42:51 PM by Chance Jackson »
Chance Jackson was my Global, I mostly played on Triumph Toons: LIEGE CHEETATRON X - Bots/Traps/Mu lvl 50 +3; DOWN RIGHT FIERCE - SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3; FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3; TIME MAY CHANGE ME - Time/Sonic/Dark; INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 replaced by "NITORYU" - DB/WP probably a brute; THUNDEROUS BRUTE - Elec/Shield Scrapper; And Many More!

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
Re: What are your Favorite Powerset Combinations?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »
As for me:
1.A,B&C goes to Bots/Traps/Mu with Time/Sonic/GW PPP as a close runner up
2.C. Fire/kins
3.A. Plant/Ma Dom
   B. Demon/Time/Soul, Ma/Fire/Soul brute, SJ/Elec/Soul brute, Staff/Dark scrapper, Kat/Dark/Soul brute, Psi/Nin Stalker
   C. TW/Fire/Soul brute, Traps/Sonic/Mace Cor, Warshade
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:23:31 PM by Chance Jackson »
Chance Jackson was my Global, I mostly played on Triumph Toons: LIEGE CHEETATRON X - Bots/Traps/Mu lvl 50 +3; DOWN RIGHT FIERCE - SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3; FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3; TIME MAY CHANGE ME - Time/Sonic/Dark; INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 replaced by "NITORYU" - DB/WP probably a brute; THUNDEROUS BRUTE - Elec/Shield Scrapper; And Many More!

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:50:08 AM »

1. That you have played to 50 - My Plant/Storm Troller - most awesome combo ever.

2. That you have seen others play especially well - anything /Rad.   I love seeing things melt.

3. Wish you could play to 50+3 and beyond(Your allowed to use combinations that work on an archetype level but have not been proliferated yet)A  SS/Invuln scrapper was at the top of my list for proliferation.
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »
1.  Storm/Enemies...or Enemies/Storm.  :P  Well, my hottest favorite at the Serverdark was a 50 Storm/Dark Blast Defender.  But I was a huge fan of a bunch of other stuff, and spent a lot of time on relatively well-tricked-out:

Claws/WP Scrapper
Invlun/SS Tanker
Fire/Fire/Pyre Tanker
MA/SR Scrapper
Elec/Shield Scrapper
Ice/Storm Controller
Earth/Rad Controller

2.  I'm gonna say, post-nerf Regen Scrapper (Claws primary) and various Blasters.  I had a buddy who played that Claws/Regen AFTER  the big changes/nerfs and BEFORE Inventions, which is to say when Regen was at its weakest point.  We'd go into instances together, and he'd take on more than my Fire Tanker could, and his life never wavered.  Literally, I'd watch his health bar  -- sometimes while my defeated Tanker lay on the ground nearby -- and it would be undented for long stretches against hard content.  He was astoundingly tough, despite low resistance and negligible defense.  He just had the knack of timing everything, I guess.

And I've seen more than one hardcore player take a Blaster to 50 for the Iron Eagles.  That means not being defeated once after level 10 (and in many cases, never being defeated at all.  Ever.)  On a Blaster.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 07:11:56 PM »
1. That you have played to 50. -  Sonic/Ice/Ice blaster Carillion

2. That you have seen others play especially well - Regen scrappers

3. Wish you could play to 50+3 and beyond(Your allowed to use combinations that work on an archetype level but have not been proliferated yet) - Claws/Willpower scrapper

The Sonic/Ice blaster was created after long hard study on how to make a truly ranged blaster. I could sit back throw out 2 sleeps and then throw them into a wall/corner and just repeatedly sleep/knockdown/damage until everything died with no effort. I was in a team trying to do a Statesman TF and Recluse killed the tank. I stepped in and slowed, debuffed and lead him away for 30 seconds allowing the tank to rez before I was defeated. The team was in awe of how I nearly survived through the battle being knocked into the red twice before finally dropping - the Tank took over and I rezzed and stayed with him keeping Recluse locked down until our team destroyed him.

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
I had to open Mids again to double check everything, and wow it's been a while now hasn't it.

1. Played to 50: Psi/Poison Corruptor (Debuffs + Psi damage). I particularly loved how Will Domination/Subdue/Dominate would hit at the exact same time at a certain distance in that order.

2. Saw others play well as: Mind/Energy Dominator (Amazing Mez)

3. Wanted to play: Purpled-out Warshade, Perma Elude Scrapper, Dual Pistols/EM (For PvP), Thug/Pain MM.

Right before the giant, but well deserved, Concentrated Strike nerf in PvP for KM (Base Damage: ~446 --> ~226), I had just finished a KM/Regen build on mids that was going to demolish melee fights. Turns out KM/Regens were doing their DPS chain incorrectly. Looking at my build now, Quick Strike had two 53 Acc/Dmg HOs and 4 damage procs. That would have been fun.

Lastly, I really really wanted an Illusion/Dark controller.

Does anybody know if it could compete with Ill/Ice or Ill/Rad? Could it out-do the other monster combinations in any circumstances? GMs? itrials? farming?

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 07:45:29 PM »
He didn't get to 50, but I had an Ill/Dark troller and he was just insanely fun and strong.  Waltzed through Praetoria with barely any threats to his wellbeing.  And he dropped Cole's clone at the end of Neutropolis so fast, I literally asked Tacitala, "Wait, is he dead already? (Didn't hurt that she was on a Mind/Psi Dom, admittedly.)

He went redside and was cheerfully trolling Scrappy whenever he came by.  Tons of pets, more invisibility than a stalker, and scary DPS.  On the forums, there was a heavy debate about its ultimate potential, but I seem to recall it seemed to be under Ill/Rad, but still quite capable of soloing GMs.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »
1: Ill/Rad
2: Fire/Kin
3: Storm/Water Blast

"Lastly, I really really wanted an Illusion/Dark controller.
Does anybody know if it could compete with Ill/Ice or Ill/Rad? Could it out-do the other monster combinations in any circumstances? GMs? itrials? farming?"

Damage against AVs/GMs is better for an Ill/Dark than an Ill/Rad, and defensively it is much stronger (since it puts out a good deal more -ToHit and especially -Dam). However, it has no +Recharge so you will have to make a Defense-oriented IO build in order to tank the AV/GM for a few seconds between PA drops, and it has no +Recovery, so it will have a bit more problems with Endurance. I think it's a stronger build at the max than Ill/Rad because you CAN make a build that, with the debuffs, can tank an AV/GM except for the very few times that you get mezzed (and with Iron Will and 20 Break Frees... that's not much of an issue), and that is stronger defensively against a large bunch of normal mobs since it has more self-defense powers. However, since you're more dependent upon IOs and enhancements in general for Recharge/Recovery, the build will have to be tighter with regards to getting +Recovery/+Recharge and to maintaining a decent amount of Endurance Reduction in most powers.

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »
This post makes me sad.

I had 9 50's when shutdown hit which was probably less than average for someone with the amount of hours I probably logged. I loved them all. Everything that wasn't fun was deleted prior to 50 apart from my Ice/Ice tank and Fire/Fire blaster - both deleted before IOs hit.

1. If I had to pick a top three, I think I'd say it would be my Energy/Energy blaster. My 1st toon created way back when I thought you could only slot one type of enhancement in each slot. When someone said you could slot more than one Damage TO in a power it was a real lightbulb moment. Powerslinger went to 50+3 and was the most fun I ever had with my clothes on. i24 was going to make that even more incredible. My Fire/Storm controller came a close second for sheer chaotic control. When the brown stuff hit the fan, she could pull the team back from the brink and oh how they complained... Third would be my BS/SD scrapper. My one and only scrapper to get to 50. There's a special place in my heart for my Emp/Psi defender which was a powerhouse on a team (could keep Fort on 7) but painful solo.

2. I loved watching well played Stormies. It was what prompted my to make my own and learn how to Herdicane. I also loved watching powerset players who didn't care about synergy and were clearly playing their sets because they loved them.

3. Illusion/Energy Dom. I had a ton of fun taking my Ill/FF to about 40something before deletion. Proliferating Illusion into the Dominator AT would have probably broken the game, but it would have been soooo much fun. I was loving my Storm/Energy defender too. Very sad I never got past 25 with her.

Looking at other MMOs, that's what is missing. I haven't found that "fun" element yet with both the community and the gameplay.

Thanks for the OP - it's brought back a lot of memories.

Cheers!

-H

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 09:52:32 PM »
This is 3 part:
3. Wish you could play to 50+3 and beyond(Your allowed to use combinations that work on an archetype level but have not been proliferated yet)

B. Play especially well together as in they don't clash visually or play wise(Dual Blades/WP)
C. Have synergies that make them very effective when paired together, as in almost or entirely over powered(Time/Sonic/GW PPP and Bots/Traps/Mu)

Your not limited to 1 per category but please try to keep it within 10 combos for number 3 (I KNOW how we alt-a-holics can be)

1) electric/electric brute and tank.

2)illusions/storm

3) Well wasnt into incarnate stuff. Too much team required grind for my taste and kind of killed the end content scene for me as higher level TFs was tought to find team for me by then but even more so after incarnate as most was interesting in either farming the incarnate or speed running through the regular TFs so there was nothing left for me to do there and was getting tired of the same old regular content and their varients.   But one that I wished I got to 50 at least was staff weapon one.

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 10:08:58 PM »
and it has no +Recovery
Soul Absorption?

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »
It wasn't my favorite powerset combination, but my favorite powerset combination moment was the first ITF I ran with my AR/EM Blaster that I'd tricked out as an attempt to prove Jack Emmert's claim that "range was a Blaster's defense"; in the last mission I offered to pull Romulus off the steps, hitting Boost Range, then Sniping him from the middle of the grassy area... and he just stood there; I was too far away from him for him to detect me and aggro. It took another two shots for him to figure out who was attacking him.

In retrospect, I should have used LRM on him; I've had spawns just stand there oblivious after I took down a member of the spawn with Snipe, but LRM, even with Build Up and Aim stacked on it, wouldn't kill the spawn, and the AoE would always wake up the spawn. But watching Rommy have a "Why am I bleeding?" moment -- and the subsequent "Okay, so when does he aggro?" from the rest of my team, and the laughter after the second shot failed to get his attention -- was proof that I'd managed to build the character out into the extreme corner I was looking for.

TerminalVelocity

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 10:36:10 PM »
1. That you have played to 50. -  Dual Pistols/Energy. Holds a special place in my heart. Wish I had a chance to level Dual Pistols/Martial.

2. That you have seen others play especially well - Warshades. Does this count? I think it counts. I was somewhat friends with Dechs Kaison and good god.

3. Wish you could play to 50+3 and beyond(Your allowed to use combinations that work on an archetype level but have not been proliferated yet) - The unreleased Psionic Melee/Willpower.
@Bullet Barrage
I left the forums with 1,337 post.

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 02:11:20 AM »
1- Elec/Dev (my first hero and 50- maybe not ideal, but I had fun, especially with mines,) Ice/Titan, AR/Time/Psi (mostly for the concept and RPing as Not a Nemesis Agent.)
2- Sister Jeanne's Titan/Elec Mallet Maiden, also Warshades, and an Elec/Time Troller.
3-My Water/Mental Blaster, Erika Enriche!  Also, my Ill/Dark Troller and my Demon/Time/Soul MM.

Energy Aura

• Boss
  • Mids' "Data Entry Drone"
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 12:02:53 PM »
1. Energy/Energy Blaster.  Was Blapper, and Blaster throughout the years.  Knowing how to play the knockback on a team made it a damage mitigater if you COULD play it right.

2. Ill/Rad...For all those pesky AVs and piles of PA in the old days...The original Mastermind!!! 

3. Water/Ice Blaster.  The I24 changes would have made him even better.  I guess that goes for all Blasters...

Come on CW and GP...Stand alone version please...lol
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:42:27 AM by Energy Aura »

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 06:28:39 PM »
I had a ton of alts; it's hard for me to leave this thread after only one post.

Someone's post reminded me I loved Titan Weapons!  Although I never got one finished or IOed-out, the partly-slotted ones I did make showed so much potential.  Sllllllloooooow initial swing then *WHOOM*WHOOM*WHOOM*WHOOM*  Properly managed and with a little +recharge, it was a total beast.  I put up with the silly anime-style weapons; what I really wanted was the WHOOM.

Broadsword!  Older, sure, but still fun.  I paired it with Shield, so it probably felt stronger to me than some people, but still, that was a great pairing thematically and synergistically.

Speaking of big weapons, I completely forgot to list my Shield/Battleaxe Tanker, who went to 50 and IOs.  He wasn't perfectly IOed out, because when I got "good enough" defenses, I was too busy chopping through hordes of stuff to worry about rebuilding him to be perfect, but it was on my to-do list.

Archery/Devices!  Trip Mines and Rain of Arrows!

I also had a high-recharge Energy/Energy Blaster without much defense.  Although Blasters were not my forte, this one was fun as all get-out if properly managed.

My God what a game.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »
Anything and Storm Summoning.   Started with a Fire/Storm troller, then an Ice/Storm  and Electric/Storm trollers, then an Animal/Storm mastermind, then an Archery/Storm corruptor.   I bet a water blast/storm corruptor would have been fun, or even a storm/water defender.

I always was impressed with the tanky rhino form of peacebringers or warshades, whichever it was.

I was really looking forward to the blaster updates and resistance buffs with i24.  I'm not sure I'd ever been as excited about a new issue.

CycloneCyan

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 12:35:25 AM »
1. My three fifties were: Dark/Regen/Dark Scrapper, Nin/Nin/Body Stalker and a Mercs/Force Field/Mu Mastermind. Out of all of those I would say the Mastermind was the most fun to play. I rolled more Masterminds than any other class, they had so much versatility.

2. I always felt whoever was played a HEAT or a VEAT and wasn't me was playing them real good. Also, anything radiation emissions, kinetics or dark miasma.

3. Honestly? Just about any other one of my characters, which include the following:

Archery/Trick Arrow Corruptor
Ninja/Pain Dom Mastermind
Fortunata
Assault Rifle/Energy Blaster
Storm/Ice Defender
Thugs/Dark Miasma Mastermind

The only other ones I'd have like to play to 50 would be the following:

Bane Spider with Mace Mastery
Warshade or Peacebringer
Gravity and Fire Control
Kinetics, Time Manipulation and Sonic Resonance
Sonic Attack and Dual Pistols
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:01:57 AM by CycloneCyan »

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 04:31:54 AM »
Level 50 Fire/Elec tank, cuz just amazing damage for a tank.  Never made 50 +++, but wanted to.  Also my Rad/Ill...Perma Hasten, Perma Phantom Army and crazy protection built in..just a joy to play.

Stone/stone was great to take major damage, but got boring unless it was a GM or AV, at which point he was scraping up teammates with a shovel.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 08:35:31 PM »
This is 3 part:

• Scrapper: Claws/SR/BM (Panthera Knight) - I loved this guy, he was my first character and was just a blast to play. He was so fast that he made any new character I attempted just boring.  Actually he made ever character I've ever attempted to play since slow in comparison.  With the defense and the shockwave and energy torrent he could semi tank most spawns and dish out enough damage to obliterate them before the team had a chance to do much (I used to try to keep up with fire/kins)
  • Controller: Mind/Kin/Psi (Prime Knight) - This guy was awesome.  He's the only character I could really enjoy playing after the insanely fast sr thanks to siphon speed.  He was my incarnate..he was a god.  Between confusing everything fulcrum shifting, holds+debuf/buffs, and incarnate powers, all the enemies were either on my side, locked down, dead, or AV's:  Just wonderful.  Although most of the time at the end I had just as much fun flying around the city playing with my German Shepard :)
  • Peacebringer:  (Pshun Keru) - Really fun to play in teams.  There was so much to do with all her powers that which made up for the fact she wasn't as fast as my /sr and /kin.  She was so versatile, I wish she was at the same power level as my other characters or that I took the time to play and to figure out how to power her up
  • Mastermind: Necro/Dark/Wdw (Bestia di Morte) - He was just ridiculously strong.  Super fun to play and always could keep an active hand in the fight.  He even got 2 extra pets: the ghost and the dark fluffy :)

• Controller:  Ill/Rad - This should be a given, pre ed they were their own army, after they could solo just about anything
  • Controller: Fire/Kin - Another given, these just decimated everything.  I've played with a couple in a team pre ed and the enemy spawns just melted
  • VEAT - I believe it was a widow that destroyed 8 man teams in the shard.  Very impressive
  • Corruptor:  Unfortunately I didn't check out the specific powers.  The one I saw could solo the turrets in the Lambda Sector Trial, I was totally impressed as my tricked out controller couldn't do this
  • Controller:  Plant/FF/Stone: I've seen youtube movies of one slowing av's and making it look easy

3.  I would have loved to power up all my 50's if I had time.  As it was I just mostly powered up my Controller: mind/kin/psi, and I still had yet to start the last incarnate tree. 

Twi

• Connoisseur of Fine Imports
  • Lieutenant
  • Defender
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 11:47:40 PM »
1. Dark/Dark/Psi Defender.
2. MA/SR/Weapon Scrapper (I had a Kat/SR/Body but that's about as close as I got)
3. That I -hadn't- already done? Uhhmmmm.... hrm.

... Hrm. ... hrmhrmhrmhrm. Maybe a Dark Control/Time Manipulator/Fire Mastery Troller. That seems fun.
I am a defender and so can you.