Author Topic: Yo Virtueites, where you at?  (Read 23297 times)

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
Yo Virtueites, where you at?
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »
I'm curious where my fellow Virtue players ended up after scattering to the winds.  What games have you guys found to be fun these days?  Have any supergroups made the successful transition to other games?  Did everything just fall apart?

Not sure anyone there remembers me- I got relatively well known in the RP community in the first year or two of the game(which gave 16 year old me the world's biggest ego), but that quickly dropped off once everyone realized how lame I was (i was super lame).  I got to fill the Aquaman type aquatic hero role in plenty of RP things for a bit, though, which was cool.  Once Water Blast rolled around (thank god that got released before shutdown) I finally was able to use the powers I'd been pretending to have for years and years, so that was cool.

I lost touch with a number of people long before the shutdown and wasn't able to find them in-game before everything went away.  If you're one of those people, I'm sure you remember me too!  So say hi or something geez.

I've tried DCUO and CO and TSW and Neverwinter and a million other MMOs but nothing's giving me the same feeling that CoH did, and maybe nothing else ever will.  I think it must have been something special for me, grabbed me at the right time and gave me the right sorts of social tools to avoid a lot of depressing highschool issues.  ...even if it did wreck my grades enough that I had to drop out of highschool and get my GED- but who cares about highschool degrees anyway?  Starting my senior year for my bachelor's degree in animation soon and I can safely say that if it weren't for the community on Virtue, I wouldn't be here making this happen.  So, thanks for that.
green hair

Aura Controller

• Minion
  • "Hey, is there room in that head for one more?"
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Yo Virtueites, where you at?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 05:53:25 PM »
I haven't found any MMO I like never did before I found City.
I actually came to the forums just now because I'm in a ugh mood and don't really want to do anything.
This is when I would normally head to pocket D and just chill.

*Sigh*
http://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalPsychopath

Look I'm on YouTube!
Is it OK to advertise that down here? O.o
Also does anyone ever read these?

Dumpleberry

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »
Hey, Kelp.

Didn't go anywhere.  CoH was my home, and nothing else will do.

Hope you are well.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »
mostly in CO avoiding cat scratch fever. :P

There is supposedly a RP COX virtue based SG in CO i seen in advertised in the COX channel about two months ago. Thinking think much of it though and really dont even remember the name of it.

I'll tell you now, there is not and will not (yet until maybe the two projects come to being) have the feeling of COX. Just as there wasnt a game with the feelign of COX when it was live, there isnt one after it's gone. That is what made COX special. It was one of a kind. Part luck part community and part having devs that knew what they were doing with the game play and features. Getting all three of those working together to create a good game do not happen often if at all or ever before COX came along. I not sure how all those things fell into place any more than I know how exactly do chemicals, ions, liquids and nerves create concious thought processes and dreams in humans but not in many other animals when in a biological manner they too have chemicals, ions, liquids, and nerves and how the different arrangements of those ions produces different results or if off by a few, death and illness.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »
Played on Virtue mostly. In CO with a couple of characters, but ya know... Involved with The Phoenix Project, of course.
Unfortunately every SG I was in ended up being pretty much non-existent about a month before shutdown. Very disheartening. People just couldn't bear to do it anymore I guess.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 09:17:31 PM »
Howdy fellow Virtue person! I wasn't a huge member of the virtue community, but it was my home server. Checking out eve online (Prolly going to cancel that, feel's too much like work) and also Beta testing a game called Dragon's Prophet. When the NDA lifts, I'll start posting more facts about it.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Howdy fellow Virtue person! I wasn't a huge member of the virtue community, but it was my home server. Checking out eve online (Prolly going to cancel that, feel's too much like work) and also Beta testing a game called Dragon's Prophet. When the NDA lifts, I'll start posting more facts about it.

NDA about the shutdown (far fecthed hope that it might be some way some how this) or the NDA about the Dragon project (which I have a feeling it's this one)

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 09:35:43 PM »
Hi Kelpy, I remember you from Freedom Factor ;)

I haven't really found anything that fills that void. Jaguar said it best (although got a lil too tl;dr with the chemicals and ions :o ) .. CoH got it all right, probably from the start (but I can only speak for the 5+ years I was there). Every issue drew me in even more. Paragon City made me feel like the Super Hero culture was respected, and my characters were actually ALIVE. Teaming was rampant in City, and there was always more content than I knew what to do with.

I tried TSW - too many zombies

I tried DCUO - but it felt like I'd always be in the shadow of Wonder Woman. Granted, I didn't play past the tutorial >.> ... But I wasn't a fan of being TOLD how my character got her powers, and that she was most definitely kidnapped and held hostage on Braniac's ship  :-\ ... The having to have one of the big names as a mentor just kinda really put me off. I dunno, it could be just me, and although I -really- did like the Justice League ... I, for one, just can't see MY own individual unique characters making names for themselves, and living in cities where those icons exist .. So I never went back. I might consider it again if there was a decent RP community & RPSG... Maybe ...

CO - I've been trying to give this a shot off and on. The first friend who tried dragging me in, has since left the game. The second friend who tried dragging me in (and even gave me tips on how to turn those godaweful campy comicy bloomy video settings off) also left the game. The SG that I tried reconnecting with ... sorta rubbed me the wrong way... ... Also tried getting into CORP - and (save for 2 people), I really felt like the new kid in high school, in a town where everyone else knew each other since kindergarten  :-\  ... "Teaming" is sort of 'every man for himself, god for us all' (in my experience). There's no chatter, no laughing, no joking, and giggling, and singing. I've not found a 'community' let alone an RP (SG) community. Without that, I have no interest in the game. Trying to connect with another ex CoH friend in CO to try again, but that's few and far between ... so ... yeah ...

I miss CoH :(
I miss CoH RP :(
I miss the teaming community :(
I miss home ...  :'(

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:16:09 PM »
I was a former member of the Liberty League until I left it about two years ago or so. Long before that, all the people who I originally played CoH with were long gone.

I swore off MMOs entirely after CoH went offline. I'd briefly considered making a new home on CO, but I'm not going to put down roots on some other online game that will just be shut down itself some time later. Screw that, I'm done.

I'd only be interested in CoH returning if I could have all my old characters and their stuff back. Bases optional.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 10:21:59 PM »
I'm in World of Warcraft.  RP server Wyrmrest Accord rp sever. 

My main character is Tukalzul a Troll witchdoctor/shaman I often rp fortune telling in Orgrimmar.  Found myself an active RP guild called Ravens Whisper.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

TerminalVelocity

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 10:56:48 PM »
Heya. My home was Virtue, but I fear I wasn't very prominent there. I'd like to think I was prominent on the forums, however.
As for your question, I never really found anywhere to replace CoH, but I spend a lot more time with console gaming nowadays.
@Bullet Barrage
I left the forums with 1,337 post.

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 02:33:05 AM »
I'm hanging around CO doing that roleplay thing I do.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 02:42:26 AM »
Virtue, wazzap? Not extremely active, but in the last days I often haunted Help and the like as Demon Digger and Thoughtforce.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 03:13:37 AM »
I'z from Virtue, though not a native. I moved to Virtue sometime in the final 3 or 4 years, I think.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 03:19:20 AM »
CoH or bust... period... bring back City or Heroes Virtue Server !!!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 04:58:27 AM »
Virtue represent! Whut whuuuut! 8)

You probably don't know me though, I didn't RP very much. And when I did it was usually by accident. Mostly I would be doodling along doing my thing, probably throwing cookies at giving cookies to people, and a mini-story would spontaneously break out around us. As often as not I went with it... it was fun to hang out playing pretendy-time with friends and random strangers. Anything else I was doing could always be picked up again later. Ahhh Virtue... my home away from home while sitting at home. *sigh*

I haven't been playing much of any other games, really. I boot up Minecraft and Torchlight 2 now and again, but that's just fending off the boredom really.

I've gotten back into reading comics though. Haven't done that for 20 years or more, since I was in high school. I guess we know what I can blame that on ;D

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 05:22:20 AM »
None of the other MMOs got my attention for very long.  Still like STO, but it's mostly ship to ship combat and less RP options.  Can't even get a freighter (unless pay real money or something, or might have been a limited offer) and do trading (no EVE, it is work).  So instead, wanting to watch a spaceship-based show, I've been working on an RPG campaign based loosely on Firefly, using Traveller RPG, that I'll run at my local game store some time in the near future.

I started on Champion, moved to Virtue a few years ago for the RP.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 07:09:31 AM »
Hey Kelp, I still RP now and again on CO, as well as WoW on the Moon Guard server.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »
I played ChO for awhile but decided that I don't play it enough to subscribe and it isn't worth playing without a subscription.

I played DCUO briefly, but I can't build superheroes the way I want there and there are movement issues that were reported way back in beta that haven't been fixed yet.

So I currently don't have an MMOG roost.  I'm going to give Neverwinter a shot, but I don't expect it will keep my attention long if at all.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »
Virtue was the home of my first character and the home of my last character.  I wandered over to Pinnacle a few times, had a small SG that no one ever got above 28 in on Champion, and for a while (when character slots were still more limited...) made Victory our "villain" server.

But Virtue was home.

Tried TSW.  Didn't love it.  Same with SWG.

Playing Tera.  Don't love it, but it's something our core group can all agree on.  Way grindy, and doesn't scale well.  Crafting is terrible, the RNG is abysmal, and (as with so many games) if you're leveling with friends, you have to level WITH your friends.  No randomly soloing and hoping to keep everybody together and non-bored.

Downloaded NWN and will try it once it's open for free (today?).  We'll see how I feel about it.

I'm saving my gaming money to support one of the new projects, or to throw at any studio/publisher who can get our City out of NCSoft's hands.

Or, crap.  To throw at NCSoft, if they reopen the game.