Author Topic: City of Heroes - by Nintendo?  (Read 7645 times)

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
Re: City of Heroes - by Nintendo?
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »
Show them the video of the guy playing CoH on the dancepad with the gesture recognition software.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 06:52:05 PM »
The way I read the article, this sounds like this is an effort for Nintendo to open up game development on their consoles to more "indie" developers, similar to XBOX Live, Android, iOS apps, exc. It's not really targetted specifically towards major developers, since those developers have traditionally always gone through Nintendo's strict quality control standards and approval process to begin with anyways, but it's aimed at the smaller teams or individuals who make much smaller games, such as The Men Who Wear Many Hats (Organ Trail, which is not to be confused with Oregon Trail...), or Playdead (Limbo, which is an awesome platformer/puzzle game with a fantastic stylistic flair. If you haven't played it before, you should, it's pretty unique.)

Personally, I think this is potentially a good oppertunity for anyone looking to develop an indie title for the next generation of consoles, since the Wii U is already out and can be tested with, while we still have months yet to wait to be able to test out games for the PS4 or XBOX One. Assuming they make it accessible enough for any indie developers to get their foot in the door, I'm actually looking forward to this and might try and make a few games for it if I can actually manage to put together a small team (I know tons of artists, programmers not so much...).

Besides, the touch screen is an awesome addition to the console, and I wish more games made non-gimicky use of it.

BitLoadR

• Lieutenant
  • <F6> <F6> <F6> ...
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
Nin-do doing CoH?

Just as long as it doesn't turn into this...

City of Miiroes?
playing on Reunion as Star Jewel, Emberflair, Lumitia, Novaspark, Dawnshade, Mystfure, Ion Blaze, Heatstrike, more...

Tiberian Fiend

• Minion
  • Canis tiberius
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 08:22:52 PM »
Nintendo doesn't seem to have much interest in producing new properties these days.  Besides, I would prefer someone who's less toxic to the CoH brand than NCSoft.
The Titantic Tiberian Fiend

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 01:08:44 AM »
Nin-do doing CoH?

City of Miiroes?

"Here, kitty, kitty,kitty!  Mousie got surprise for you!"  /em draws multi-function rifle and loads cat cutter rounds
No Surrender!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 06:27:14 AM »
Your PC had a 729MHz PowerPC processor and somehow ran Windows and COH?

really?

lol they said Wii had the same graphics components as the game cube or rather not much changes in the hardware department.

So I said my computer was equal to a Wii in that regard due to the small upgrades I had made over the years mainly in the memory department.

I looked heavily into the game cube's graphics, Graphics by ATi, 128 bit, I searched and there was only one compatible listing, ATi Radeon X300 pro, an outdated model yes but my computer would be destined to have it. the gamecube was apparently also sporting a 64 bit processor at my last check, AMD athalon style. (typically such things are given to game companies before they are released publically so as to showcase thier potential for a soon to come market.)

also comp started with 512 MB ram, I upgraded to 1GB then 4GB Processor was 2.0 Ghz or 2.1 or 3.0 or something, eitherway it met the bare minimum requirements for CoH, though technically my graphics card was not upto par but thanks to the 'x' in x300 it met par and could exceed it.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I did my homework back then about it's components. heck the N64 was the world's first 64 bit system, 64 bit referring to it's graphic capabilities no doubt, not the processor. Game Cube was 128 bit, in those days everyone said computer graphics had more potential but I looked at the quality of the game models and textures and there really wasn't much difference infact most PC games seemed to have slightly superior to N64 graphics.

My computer started as the same stuff in the game cube, and gained more ram than GCN eventually.

only thing different was my motherboard Asustek K8N3X-E (might be correct, can't remember.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:36:34 AM by Joshex »
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 12:21:09 PM »
The way I read the article, this sounds like this is an effort for Nintendo to open up game development on their consoles to more "indie" developers, similar to XBOX Live, Android, iOS apps, exc. It's not really targetted specifically towards major developers, since those developers have traditionally always gone through Nintendo's strict quality control standards and approval process to begin with anyways, but it's aimed at the smaller teams or individuals who make much smaller games, such as The Men Who Wear Many Hats (Organ Trail, which is not to be confused with Oregon Trail...), or Playdead (Limbo, which is an awesome platformer/puzzle game with a fantastic stylistic flair. If you haven't played it before, you should, it's pretty unique.)

Personally, I find this hilariously awesome, because the big name publishers and studios who've muscled out indie developers all these years are now realizing how stupid they are. Now they can talk about how much they hate Gabe Newell while trying to be more like Gabe Newell.

Nin-do doing CoH?

It would.  ;)

I'll add (for the sake of conversation I guess) that I love Nintendo. I grew up on Nintendo. I could beat Super Mario 2 in 28 minutes, Populous on Nintendo was my first god game, I'm still waiting for a racing game that feels as cool as F-Zero did when it came out, and it was considered cheating by my friends for me to use Chun Li. I even believe that Nintendo's leadership could be capable of wrapping their minds around the American (and European) super hero ethos (don't look at me like that, they have super heroes too), and this is coming from an American who is extremely skeptical about the mitigation of a cultural divide like that. But. There's always a but. Loving Nintendo means I'm familiar with Nintendo. I know Nintendo. This is like loving someone dearly but knowing you can't trust their cooking when it comes to certain things. Nintendo would ruin City of Heroes. And just as importantly, they would ruin the cult classic IP, which could still be used to fuel future comic books, novels and games, if we could ever wrest it away from NCSoft.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »
Loving Nintendo means I'm familiar with Nintendo. I know Nintendo. This is like loving someone dearly but knowing you can't trust their cooking when it comes to certain things. Nintendo would ruin City of Heroes. And just as importantly, they would ruin the cult classic IP, which could still be used to fuel future comic books, novels and games, if we could ever wrest it away from NCSoft.

This.

I think CoH would be a nice off shoot or port to consoles, but not directly. For instance, if there would ever be a sequel developed for PC and all the consoles on the market (almost like what The Elder Scrolls Online is doing, minus the Wii U), it'd be nice to see a port to the Wii U. But having it only on Nintendo consoles? I don't think it will work. Unless it'd be developed with the feel of the Metroid games, (not other M) or how LoZ:TP was (darker than most LoZ titles), CoH wouldn't be as good.

Again, I'd like to see it on nintendo consoles, but not at the cost of removing anything.
- Omega Mk. V