Author Topic: Anyone around from Champion server?  (Read 22806 times)

Olde Glory

• Minion
Anyone around from Champion server?
« on: April 21, 2013, 07:36:13 PM »
I was wondering how many people here had Champion as their home server? I started out there way back in issue2 and never really could bring myself to leave. I have a lot of fond memories of the friends that I made there...We were a small but close-knit group of regulars. I spent the last few minutes sitting on the steps of City Hall chatting with a friend while watching the world end.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:52:27 PM by Olde Glory »

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
Re: Anyone around from Champion server?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:39:52 PM »
My main alternative server, ran Gurgoyle, Protector 645, Amerigo Expatriot.....

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »
Briefly.  I used to lead a small, hardcore SG on Champion.  Just a few friends who gathered there (usually Thursday Nights) for a year or two and played toon after toon, delete-upon-death style.  After those friends moved on, I moved over to Justice Server & got my weekly Hardcore fix through the Iron Eagles SG.

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:38:37 PM »
I played on Champion but my main servers were Pinnacle and Triumph.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:20:56 PM »
Champion was my main server.  My main sg was Agents of Chaos.  We were also a small, tight knit group.  The only reason I have been to DCUO and GW2 was due to my former teammates.  I was part of several larger sgs, but there seemed to always be unneeded drama.  I was also active on Pinn, Freedom, and Virtue.  Champion, however, was my true home.

Ecessero

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »
I was always playing on Champion server on and off from issue 1 till the very end.
Kyth the Titan here, I was that crazy fella from a few channels, could never really get into any of the sg stuff. Hope one day I get to talk with other champions

Mains: Soul Lightning, Everliving Warrior, King of the Chalupas, Titanas, tons more.
So much altitis back then.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
I was on Champion throughout most of CoH's lifespan, though I was mostly on Virtue towards the end.

Malohin

• Underling
  • Excellent!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 11:21:09 PM »
Started on Champion. Played with Unleashed, B.O.S.S., Tech Knights, but mostly with anyone on the Alliance Network channel, once global channels started working right. :)

B.O.S.S. -- Ascention Blue, Caveat, Electeriffic, JOGGER-NAUGHT, Prof. White, Stormtiger, Wintergeist.

Tech Knights -- TK-314, TK-415, TK-987.
Our weekly "AR/Dev" SG --  "You've got problems? We've got bullets."

tomborocks1

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 11:36:29 PM »
My daughter somehow ended up on Champion, even though my mains were on Guardian. We decided we would have a Monster High/Teen Titans mix and I actually grew the cajones to start our own super group, The Faceplant Society of Paragon. I had no idea what the hell I was doing, but it was our own little daddy/daughter group, so who cares?

So, yeah, I was on Champion a lot. If the names Kalvin El, Venemous Burn, or Archer Lass ring a bell, yup, they were me. Sevilla was my daughter's main and a bevy of Monster High themed toons (Draculina, Francesca Stein, Abbie Snow).

purplemanwolf

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 03:35:27 AM »
was on champion from start to end

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
Champion from day 1 until the end.  B.O.S.S. for life.

Heya Malohin!

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »
I had a large amount of characters on Champion.  My most frequent were Guardian of the Pit (TW/WP Scrapper), X-357 (EB/EM Blaster) and Senka Nithra (Warshade) for Blue side and Agent Blood (Arachnos Soldier) for Red side.
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:58 PM »
I played on Champion.  I joined "The Eternals" SG way back in the beginning with "Assault Barbie".  I still had her at the end.  Unfortunately, my severe Altitis prevented me from getting her to 50.

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 10:54:33 PM »
I started out on Champion.  Though I moved to Virtue, for the most part, I always checked in on Champion from time to time.
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Nilbog

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 03:41:37 PM »
I played exclusively on Champ from launch til my account was stolen in 2010. I was mostly my Ice blaster Nilbog and my bs/sr Slayer, Deathspider, Deftones...ect. I was in SG's Legendaries and later pvp group Ex-Ops.

It is funny, there are so many character/people that I remember teaming with, the toons through the vehicle of the player had so much depth and personality. It was truly like we were all meeting within the realm of imagination

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 05:48:37 PM »
From about early 2005 to sometime 2009 i played almost exclusively on Champion, before that i was mostly on Guardian and after 2009 i tended to split my time between Virtue and Champion, with a fair bit on Justice in 2012. On Champion i mostly had alts in B.O.S.S. and the various Pingu SGs.
A few notable alts on Champion were Space Pirate Mi-chan ("You think you're tough, $target?! I'll lay eggs in your chest!"), Doctor/Dr. Malthusian, Heretic Eidolon, Mechageist, Ryonen Ch'an, Anax Necross, Void Seeker, and many others.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Acemace

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 12:56:14 AM »

Heya Malohin!

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 02:16:26 PM »

Ah... better days... winding up for the KOB... heya Ace!

solerunner

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »
Me and My wife played on champion for all 8 years. when I 1st started my mains were Evil Blaster and Evil Tanker, Evil controller, on heroes. on vills they start with Good. then we Changed it up to Mr. Brute and Mrs stalker was hers .in the end all my toons had Jordan my name in them. We Just started to play Champions online and Swtor again so if any clans or SG out there on them shot me a PM.

Nilbog

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 02:52:45 PM »

I remember adventuring with Ace, Greetings

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »
Yup, was on Champion the first 4 years and then moved to Virtue when it started getting quiet on the server.

I played Foghorn Leghorn on Champion for a while, I had 42 binds with all of his insults - imagine the hilarity that ensued after a team wipe and I hit bind number 42:

Ah' have mah' feathers numbered for just such an emergency.

Pep Rally

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 02:33:19 AM »
Champion? champion? ...hmmm, that name does...kinda, ring a bell.  That was the drama server, right?

Oooooh, yeah. That server kicked all kinds of ass(especially if you were a tank :) )

Many good times on that server. Was my main from Sept. '04 until the end. I only started playing on Virtue when I ran out of character slots(and met some cool virtue folks in the CoH Art forums). I also ended up with a tank on every server for Tanker Tuesday Tours.

I was in The Legendaries, B.O.S.S., Earthguard, and the Farstriders SGs at various times. Pep Rally, Winter Heart, Bangs, Irish Lass, Lava Flo, Mother Motherland, among many, many others.

These days I don't play MMOs much. Just the weekly CO TTs, and an occasional hour of Tera, or GW2. Kinda hoping Neverwinter is good, but my faith in MMOs controlled by unfeeling corporations is severely shaken, so I can't really bring myself to get so invested again. Also, much of my free time is taken up by a group project atm.

P.S. Whaassup Ace, U, Nyx, and Nil?

Nilbog

• Minion
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 01:32:42 PM »
Champion? champion? ...hmmm, that name does...kinda, ring a bell.  That was the drama server, right?

Oooooh, yeah. That server kicked all kinds of ass(especially if you were a tank :) )

Many good times on that server. Was my main from Sept. '04 until the end. I only started playing on Virtue when I ran out of character slots(and met some cool virtue folks in the CoH Art forums). I also ended up with a tank on every server for Tanker Tuesday Tours.

I was in The Legendaries, B.O.S.S., Earthguard, and the Farstriders SGs at various times. Pep Rally, Winter Heart, Bangs, Irish Lass, Lava Flo, Mother Motherland, among many, many others.

These days I don't play MMOs much. Just the weekly CO TTs, and an occasional hour of Tera, or GW2. Kinda hoping Neverwinter is good, but my faith in MMOs controlled by unfeeling corporations is severely shaken, so I can't really bring myself to get so invested again. Also, much of my free time is taken up by a group project atm.

Hey Pep, I remember you well and my adventures with Farstriders and Legendaries. Good Times :) ya Neverwinter is the only game on my radar right now

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »

Hiya Pep! Good to see some familiar faces knocking around this place.  I hung up my cape and retired when CoH went down.  I looked at the other games, but they just didn't hold any interest for me.  I don't really see anything out on the horizon that is much of a draw either.  So, I guess U's cape will just stay on its peg by the door.  Life and my kids keep me hopping anyways, so my wife certainly isn't complaining lol.

NoName

• Minion
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 03:34:09 PM »

Yep there were some pretty disgusting people on there. People who thought they were high and mighty and looked down on others. Ironically, these were supposed to be the "good" guys of Champion. Ask the friends of the person who ostracized from that group that he tried to make friends with in what I guess was his last place of refuge and ended up killing himself. What did those "good" guys do then? You guessed it. A lot of "good riddance" and plenty of jokes. Fakes and Phonies abound. Not saying this about the majority who played on there mind you but the so-called representatives of Champion were made of of truly wretched and miserable people as well as the mentally ill. Really a sad sad state of affairs and something that I am sure will get glossed over as people start using selective memory to only think about the good times.

Nilbog

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 04:23:11 PM »
Yep there were some pretty disgusting people on there. People who thought they were high and mighty and looked down on others. Ironically, these were supposed to be the "good" guys of Champion. Ask the friends of the person who ostracized from that group that he tried to make friends with in what I guess was his last place of refuge and ended up killing himself. What did those "good" guys do then? You guessed it. A lot of "good riddance" and plenty of jokes. Fakes and Phonies abound. Not saying this about the majority who played on there mind you but the so-called representatives of Champion were made of of truly wretched and miserable people as well as the mentally ill. Really a sad sad state of affairs and something that I am sure will get glossed over as people start using selective memory to only think about the good times.

of course the cool thing about CoX is you could always start and do your own thing with good people and ignore the hateful

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 08:14:14 PM »
I have to say, as someone who spent the majority of my time on Champion, I never ran into any bad elements. I didn't socialize much, tho.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 08:51:56 PM »
All servers had cliques.
All servers had Prestige mule SGs.
All servers had good people and even good people can be asshats at times as some people can't get enough attention or drama.

If you kill yourself due to a video game - you are lacking good judgement and are extremely shallow as a person. The Developers and staff of the game were the ones who were hit the hardest - because they lost a way to support their families. If an SG mocked you or treated you badly - leave form your own or move to another server.

I don't know of the case you are referring to NoName but some people can't be saved and live their short and self important lives in a state of constant drama where no amount of attention could ever be enough. All of us live lives of quiet desperation. It is the nature of man to do so. We work hard, try and gather friends and family and live as best we may dealing with loss, love and the random dangers of life.

You could have been a happy and healthy guy running in your first Boston marathon and got your leg blown off. You could be a former Walmart worker out of a job due to the economy. You could be like me who lost a wife, grandmother and father in the same year all to cancer. But you stand up and move on because as one of my favorite books by Robert Heinlein says in its title: Time Enough for Love. We can find time to share our love and find people who need us. Not everyone needs you and this is not a loss but rather a fact that some people have lives so full they don't have time for more.

Personally I was raised on John Carter of Mars and Robert Heinlein, with a healthy dose of Conan the barbarian. This made me value morality and honor above all things with an eye to defending the weak. I can't control the path of others, I can't even control my own - but I can control how I treat others as I walk that path.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »
Champion, start to finish. I futzed around on other servers to test powerset combinations and the like, but Champ was home (all 36 slots filled ;D). That's where just about everyone in our little SG met and formed just before the game's first anniversary. We didn't socialize much outside our group (more due to team size than any specific anti-social tendencies, though we were very comfortable with it being 'just us') but we did throw in on the occasional Champion events/trials/etc, with Bael Nightshade and I being the most outgoing of our group socially. Even then, I lurked a lot generally.

I only am peripherally aware of any drama because of that, and the only thing I feel I *need* to remember was that it was nice to log in and see so many familiar names chatting in the global channels, even if many of them weren't specifically aware of me. Even as a lurker type, I felt like I was part of the community at large, and when I did speak up (when I felt I had something worthwhile to say) I was never treated badly. So far in my experience, 'general' chat channels in other games are either silent or toxic for the most part. Not all, nor completely, but still, nothing like the global channels I knew from Champion's global networks.

The SG is still together for the most part, but I do miss logging in to a game and seeing a slew of familiar, friendly names on whatever chat channels the game we're on possesses.

Lyc~ the Champion Server werewolf

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 03:40:13 AM »
i find this hard to lend much credence. While there had been a few linked SGs on Champion that constantly spammed SG invites, claimed to run things, mandated prestige quotas, and generally came across as asshats, they were never really in charge of anything except annoying other players and were only really around for a couple years. Hell, the main leader eventually tried to move his scam to Virtue when most of Champion started to ignore him and that imploded within about a year. (Turns out people don't only play and communicate on a single server, so word of his past behavior and incompetence followed him, what a surprise.)

Anyway, Champion had some cliques like any other server, but there were always people there ready to team with anyone who was willing to have fun. No strings, no obligations.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 04:41:13 AM »
I was on Champion - among other servers :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2013, 02:32:10 PM »
I played on Champion.  Start to finish. (Although I admit I played on Virtue as well)

I miss CoH horribly.  It is a hole in my life.  I use to read the forums everyday.  I have tried to play Champions Online, but no one talked to me there.  I would spend hours flying around in silence.  I even tried to make my mark on the CO forums, and with the exception of a few people who followed my posts, no one ever talked to me.

I also tried The Secret World.  Same issue.  Great game, no community.

Missing CoH has sent me into a great depression, which I will admit I have not recovered from.  I miss you guys a lot.

Dinah

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 03:31:35 AM »
i have to say two of my favorite recurring events on Champion were Tanker Tuesday and Mothership Raids. (Brutal Bruesday and Mastermind Monday never really caught on.)
And the original Hami raids. Those tended to be hilarious. The later ones were okay, but not nearly as funny.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 11:39:12 PM »
Agreed.  The original Hami raids were a blast.

purplemanwolf

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 12:07:27 AM »
played on champion almost excluively and recognize almost all posting.miss everyone and hope all are well.rally miss playing and badging and chatting.

Olde Glory

• Minion
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2013, 09:52:26 AM »

Wow. I somehow managed to miss any and all of that. I was gone for a year solid or so, but over the course of the years that I played I ended up with maybe... 10(ish) /ignore that were utter jackasses. Everyone else on the list were early "exp/infl spammers and sellers". In fact, most issues with flamers that I came across happened after it went F2P. Not saying that they weren't there from the start, but I didn't have more than a casual involvement with the larger SGs. Most of my time was spent assisting the new players, healing and just being, "of service" to anyone that needed it; that was what really made the game fun for me. No matter how many Alts I made, I always came back to my main because being a Defender wasn't just a build; it was what I did in the game. It's not what I "need" to remember... it's how I experienced the game.

Just my two-cents on the matter

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
No matter how many Alts I made, I always came back to my main because being a Defender wasn't just a build; it was what I did in the game. It's not what I "need" to remember... it's how I experienced the game.

Just my two-cents on the matter

I can understand that!  Though I got to love brutes, I always came back to my Defenders.  I think the best times I had in the game, no matter which server I was on, was playing my Emp Defs.   There was something really satisfying about keeping a team up and running.  (lol and it was funny to see a ton of team invites minutes after signing on - damn I miss COH.....sigh)
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Olde Glory

• Minion
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2013, 03:23:23 PM »
I can understand that!  Though I got to love brutes, I always came back to my Defenders.  I think the best times I had in the game, no matter which server I was on, was playing my Emp Defs.   There was something really satisfying about keeping a team up and running.  (lol and it was funny to see a ton of team invites minutes after signing on - damn I miss COH.....sigh)

The kinetics power set ruined support classes for me in any other game. I won't say that it was balanced... but it was FUN! My biggest regret was not being able to get that final healing badge. I was 3/4 of the way there when the servers went dark.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2013, 08:44:54 PM »
I should preface my comment with this small caveat. I probably fit this stereotype of "disgusting" people. Liberty was my home server, but during the last year, when iTrials came out, I started playing a bit on Champion, mostly on weekends, because I thought I could use a break from leading iTrials, and @amygdala seemed to have very little trouble recruiting very seasoned players, which provided a stronger probable chance of success on a PUG.
Because I wasn't playing on Champion enough to be known as one of "them", I read ( via tells) a few comments from players about other players - snobbery, mean spiritedness, all manner of derogatory terms in reference to specific people that I had no problem with. In fact, I was glad to read them, because it helped remind me of the reality of perception, particularly when not everyone is on Skype or Ventrillo. A lot can get lost in text without the verbal intonation and pitch. So, on my server, when I would lead, I tried very hard to tone down my judgemental attitude towards players who may not have had the free time I had to learn how to better play their toon via marketing, or just reading various builds on the forums or spending hours with Mids'. It didn't come easy, I assure you. I'm fairly certain that I had a fair amount of people on Liberty viciously attacking my lack of maturity - which was probably a very fair conclusion based on the evidence that I gave them. However, I also had a good deal of respect from people I felt privileged to get it from.

And, as much as I thought I knew, though it was a bitter pill to swallow, On Champion, I learned at least one lesson about my ice/emp controller that I thought I had already learned about Absorb Pain. (let's not get sidetracked - some prefer it, some don't, some insist on it, some don't - each of us had our reasons for our opinions) In my case, I got irked a bit by what I took as a snide comment because I didn't have it. Years ago, AP was a little more harsh for the good heal it gave. Because respecs were plentiful, I could take a peek at it and changed my mind. (but, at the time, I wasn't really pleased to get the free advice.) 
That one instance though - it did shed some light on how some folks might take the comment to be helpful, and some to be hurtful. In retrospect, I look at it like it was a traffic jam. Some folks are thrilled to have bumper to bumper traffic - it gives them time to text or put make up on or scarf down lunch. Whether you got angry or not about your circumstance depends on what's inside each of us, and what's going on with us as individuals.
It's trite but true - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you see wretched, evil people, that's probably because of where you are in your life. Your individual filter. We're all different, with varying degrees of moral behavior. We don't all live by the same set of rules. I would venture that there were mean-spirited people on every server, just as there were marvelously helpful, nonjudgemental people on every server.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2013, 01:56:54 AM »
Agreed.  The original Hami raids were a blast.
Doing them with my Fire/Rad Controller, though, left me feeling like a one-armed paperhanger, running around to get back into the group to pop off heals and AM when it came up, then bouncing out to look for people on the ground to rez them so they could get back into the healing bubble, rinse and repeat.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2013, 03:29:44 AM »
Doing them with my Fire/Rad Controller, though, left me feeling like a one-armed paperhanger, running around to get back into the group to pop off heals and AM when it came up, then bouncing out to look for people on the ground to rez them so they could get back into the healing bubble, rinse and repeat.
i usually did them with my D3, so i would occasionally be needed to run over to a pile of bodies, hit a mito with Howling Twilight, get splatted by a very pissed-off mito as most of the fallen heroes rezzed and legged it for a rock. Lather, rinse, repeat. During one partial raid wipe in the mito clearing phase i ran in and hit Howling Twilight about five times. The only downside was that after the first couple of times i was already at the debt cap and wasn't making any badge progress after that.  :(

There were a few times i brought my Scrapper with Group Fly to supply flight for some of the PA drop team.  ;D

i think what i miss most was running with the Pingus. Every mission was a test to see how far we could push the limits of the game and character performance both solo and cooperatively.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2013, 01:35:43 PM »
My biggest problem was fighting, especially below level 16. I can't remember exactly what level the brute could get Taunt(my fire/rad started on redside), but I had a nasty habit of drawing all the aggro at lower levels with some AoE. Fireball would do it, occasionally, but Rain of Fire always got their attention. I finally learned that I could only really concentrate on healing and rezzing if there wasn't a decent tank/brute on the team.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »
I would really lie to know where everyone from Champion went.  I have tried Champions Online, but the lack of community forced me out of the game.  I have tried The Secret World, but once again, lack of community.

The great community of the Champion server I really really miss.

Dollmistress

• Underling
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2013, 11:57:59 PM »
I would really lie to know where everyone from Champion went.  I have tried Champions Online, but the lack of community forced me out of the game.  I have tried The Secret World, but once again, lack of community.

Well, I fly the USS City of Heroes in Star Trek Online. Also recently captained the IRW City of Villains on my new Romulan Captain. Global is Dollmistress, as always :)

My ship name helps to find other former CoX players.

Viking Queen

• Underling
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2013, 11:21:44 PM »
Champion Server for Life ! when my server slots filled up, I sent toons to other servers for storage, but all my active toons were Championites. To be honest, I miss my friends from the game, and have not found another I like anyway near as much. And I see many familiar names in this post, hopefully I will have a chance to partner with some of them in a new game situation in-future. I still manage guilds and still help out players when ever I get the chance, it's just how I am, I like to help. Hoping to encounter some of you soon, until then, fight the good fight, Hero.....current location=champions on-line. you will know my toons there, as they will be the ones wearing the sexy outfits. some things never change  :)
Champion Server 4 Life Baby !

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2013, 12:30:54 AM »
when my server slots filled up, I sent toons to other servers for storage, but all my active toons were Championites.

When the lights went out, I had 15 server transfer tokens. Why I never thought of this is completely beyond me!

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2013, 02:43:43 AM »

Hmmmm   Dinah Might.......that sounds familiar.

In any case, I tried Champions myself  and didn't like it at all.   Now I am just occasionally flying solo on DCUO.  The chat system alone has all but completely turned me off teaming there.

XxBudweiser8xX

• Underling
  • XxBudweiser8xX
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2013, 02:25:35 AM »
Ahhhhh Champion Server....

So many friends, So many enemies....

The drama, the arguing, the he said, she said gossip bullshit....

The My SG is better then yours, Your is just a bunch of Prestige Slaves....

All the PvP haters....

All the PL Haters....

So many nights filled with hate....

So many good friends and great memories

I miss it so much :(
PoN4LIFE

purplemanwolf

• Underling
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2013, 03:17:24 AM »
missing champ server and recognize almost everyone here.wish you all well.

Spatch1971

• Underling
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2013, 02:04:21 PM »
I bought CoH in July 2004, shortly after its launch, at the behest of a friend of mine.  He had his characters on Champion, so of course I started there as well.  My friend's appearances in the game dwindled slowly, until he finally unsubbed completely.  But, I was fully addicted to CoH and maintained my sub, uninterrupted, through to the sunset.

When CoV was released, of course I bought it immediately.  Got hooked into an SG with about 10 regulars or so (@Dakota, @Ph8, @Swad, @BXZILLA to name a few off the the top of my head).  For me, those following couple years were my CoH golden years, having a regular group of players to run with, talk to on Teamspeak, and just generally have a good time with.  Like my earlier friend, though, they started dropping one by one, until I was the last one left.  Again.

I dabbled on Freedom a bit.  In the final six months of the game, I also ran some toons over on Virtue.  But Champion was home.

My main character, my badger, was a Peacebringer, Cinnamon Red.  She had all the badges, except bug hunter, and that lousy 8 year vet badge that awarded for some, but didn't for most.  Grrrr.   She had well over 100 souvenirs from completed story arcs.  I never got the chance to complete all the villain side arcs with her.

The last character I made and leveled to 50 was H 2 O, obviously a character using the new water powersets.  He was fun, and I miss him too. 

I miss all my characters, both blue side and red.

I miss CoH.  I haven't tried CO or DCUO.  I don't sub to anything at the moment.  I've played some single player titles in the meantime, finally getting around to playing Oblivion after buying it five or six years back.  I've also been trying the AD&D titles, picked up from gog.com, but dang they're hard.  However, the lack of community in single player titles makes them not feel quite right.  I'm following the Elder Scrolls Online development with some interest.  But, everything will pale in comparison to CoH.  I miss it dearly.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:51:23 PM by Spatch1971 »

Neutrio

• Minion
  • Omega neutrinos! Defend us!
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2014, 05:46:39 AM »
Just wanted to say that I'm still around & glad to see some of the folks I had the privilege of running with.  Hiyas Purp, Spatch, VQ, Lyc, FC (Epoch! You can't hide from me! /e throws wrench)

Maybe we'll all be able to take to the streets again soon!

DragonCommando

• Minion
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »
Champion was my Villains (Commander Anansi [Crab], Doc PCP [MM], Mistress Whiplash [MM], Mr. Tickles [Brute], Obsidian Apocalypse [dom], Psychic Blizzard [Dom], Shadowless Death [Stalker], Skull Crusher Knight [Brute], Tesla Pulverizer [Corr] and Valthrudnir [Corr]) server.

I really miss the community and the ITrials led by @amygdala and/or @Thul Sorapa (Lady Clara).

I hope we can all be together soon!

Myrmydon

• Minion
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 04:17:39 AM »

Heya Malohin!

I spent an evening or two on Champion myself.

Neutrio

• Minion
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 04:42:15 AM »
I spent an evening or two on Champion myself.

I recall seeing you around in some of the zones. :)  Hope you got to make a water powered toon!

Myrmydon

• Minion
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2014, 04:48:56 AM »

I recall seeing you around in some of the zones. :)  Hope you got to make a water powered toon!

Once the closing was announced, I only played the characters I had up to that point. I never did get my Dark Scrapper up to 50 (I stopped at 49 to spend the last couple of hours socializing) and my friend, Pulse, was adamant that I'd never take that one up anyway. He says the same thing about a restart now, actually.  ;D

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2014, 05:29:51 AM »
I began on Champion, but moved on. My main villain, Der Zilla, lived there at level 30 for a very long time after my move, neglected. Shortly before the shutdown announcement, I had moved her to (I think) Virtue, or maybe Infinity, and got her her first couple levels in like four years. lol
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2014, 10:53:25 AM »
I played on Champion for most of my time in CoX. My main toons were Blackstar5, Necrolord, Shadow punch, Pale Ryder5, and Psycho Kinetic. I see a few familiar names here ( Doll and Budweiser).

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2014, 11:26:10 AM »
One of my SG Mates played with a largish group of friends/family on Champion.  I don't think he'd mind me sharing that his global was @Mallerick.

I dunno if he even has a Titan account.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
During the last year and a half, I played a lot on Champion. Even got a Really Hard Way badge on a couple of different characters. It was always so refreshing for a change of pace to just join a trial instead of lead one.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Viking Queen

• Underling
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2014, 01:28:20 PM »
I played there the entire time of my sub at CoH (8 years total) and my experience there was fantastic. I met plenty of great friends there, and SG leaders were always willing to help out my Trials and TF's...the smaller population made it easier to know who the assorted Guild personalities were as well. Other games might have superior graphics, but I have yet to find a great community like the one from Champion server.
Champion Server 4 Life Baby !

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2014, 06:50:07 PM »
Holy zombie thread Batman!

Always fun to see a few familiar names.

Myrmydon

• Minion
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »
Get ready for the Taskforce runs if we don't get our data back, U.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2014, 01:03:23 AM »
I had some villains on Champions. My favorite was Sebastian Collins. He was a homage character based on Barnabas Collins who was working his way through Pretoria.

My home server was Liberty and i sort of used Champion as a storage spot. But Sebastian was home grown there and so I decided to move all my villains there and create an SG there for them. That is still on my to do list. I know red-side was pretty dead, but that won't bother a vampire!

Hope to paint the town red (with blood).
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Neutrio

• Minion
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2014, 01:11:35 AM »

<snip> ... I have yet to find a great community like the one from Champion server.

Indeed ... I had started out on Champ (it was the first in the list).  I created an Eng/Eng blaster [Purple Lantern -- later gen'd & renamed Cosmic Purple].  I was such a noob (CoH was the first MMO I ever played) that at about level 12, I abandoned him as he kept getting pawn'd by everything & I felt like he had the Glass Jaw of Hit Me Right Here Attraction.

I decided that I wanted the ability to heal myself (I don't think here was any self heal at that point or at least at those low levels other than green pills) & made what would be my main, an Emp/Rad defender [Neutrio] and he seemed to at least be able to heal himself enough to get me outta most of the trouble I got into & I slogged through those level bands (some were pretty tough) to about level 33.

I was starting to consider quitting CoH (FF was turning out to be a lot tougher to play in) when I met the leader [Jayle] of what would be the SG [ - Heroes Inc. - ] that I was to join (she invited me there on the spot by the fountain in FF next to Numina -- I must have seemed clueless (I was).  I didn't have a clue what I was getting into or what an SG was.  I'm lucky & happy she invited me.  Then, I met Stark Fist shortly after & he helped me become less of a noob - ever so thankful he did as the game got factorially more fun to play & the game really opened up for me at that point.

Even at that time, I wasn't aware of any of the channels in the game other than the standard ones & our SG one.  Then I happened to come across a comment someone made about joining the "Champion BMT" channel -- though I think it had a different name at that time.  At that time, I was really becoming quite the Badge Whore :) and was lucky someone invited me to that (not sure if that was Cobalt Azurean).  From there, the game really expanded for me.

While there was some significant drama in the early years due to some of the more ardent populous -- such as Lord Stryker & his plethora of Stryke-Force SGs ... man that guy stirred up a lot of hate towards him & his guildies -- I really felt like Champ was a good, helpful, mostly polite & friendly place to hang your cape & cowl.  Perhaps that was only true inside the Champion BMT channel & a couple of others I was fortunate to be a part of.  I didn't really use local or broadcast chat -- usually disabled that in a new MyChat tab I made on every toon.

I have read in one of the HMTF threads that several people felt Champ was an elitist community & for things like iTrials, only invite people who were +3 or other types of restrictions.  Perhaps they ran afoul of what I hope was a small group of such TF leaders.  There were some iTrials that you couldn't really do anything in if you didn't have a certain level of +'s.  Most of the ones I participated in and/or lead would usually let you in if you weren't at the + level the trial was designed for - provided they had enough people with the designated +'s or higher.  I know I did that for the ones I led (mostly MoDD).  Especially folks like Amygdala & Viking Queen (I know there were many more, just can't think of names as good being 2 years out).

The Champion player community's helpfulness & teamsmanship was the part of the game that I miss so much & what, IMHO, made CoH so superior & cherishing and which created such devoted players.  No other game has been able to capture that (at least to me -- I ventured off to WoW, SWTOR, NWN, ESO, CO, etc.)  To me, that is what the "spirit" of the game is to me.

I did try out every other shard & had a toon on almost all of them -- there was one server where pretty much everyone I ran into had negative things to say about either my character, play style or something else they felt was wrong.  I delete the toon & left that one toonless just so I would know not to create a toon there again for a while -- never did get back to that shard.

Anyway, sorry for making this a TL:DR post.  I just wanted to say thank you to all of those who helped me out both as a noob & as a mature hero.

Neutrio

• Minion
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2014, 01:48:05 AM »
<snip> ... I know red-side was pretty dead, but that won't bother a vampire!

Hope to paint the town red (with blood).

Sadly, it was.  I liked the Brute & Corrupter ATs (sort of the reverse powerset of their hero counterparts).  I really can't explain why the villain side was cricketsville a fair amount of time.  For me, it just didn't "feel" right.  Maybe I was spoiled by playing on the blue side for so long or perhaps I'm just not very "villainy". :)  My blue side SG created a red side SG [ - Villians Inc. - ] ... yes, it was purposely misspelled ... and hardly any of our SG created toons & joined it.

The most we ever got to go red side was when about 6 of us decided to create a chicken themed "flock" [I was a corrupter named The Chicken Lich] ... we had a good time for a while & caused quite a few eyebrow raises & groans -- especially when we would use our battle cry's :)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2014, 01:49:49 AM »
I decided that I wanted the ability to heal myself (I don't think here was any self heal at that point or at least at those low levels other than green pills) & made what would be my main, an Emp/Rad defender [Neutrio] and he seemed to at least be able to heal himself enough to get me outta most of the trouble I got into & I slogged through those level bands (some were pretty tough) to about level 33.

Almost a perfect match for your story- my first 50 was an emp/elec defender after my elec/elec blaster was summarily deleted at level 26 - debt capped. I was so ignorant - I thought that the list of enhancements that a power could take were the enhancements that I was supposed to put in it.

So, each power had an accuracy, a damage, a recharge, an end redux, an end mod and a range. And then..I got Zapp. I couldn't figure out how to get the seventh slot for Reduce Interrupt Time....

26 levels ( I may have figured out the 1 acc 5 damage norm at level 24 - can't really recall.) of blasting - literally as an ignorant schmuck. lol.
Thank goodness for Mids and a few folks who shared with me their vast knowledge about slotting.

Neutrio

• Minion
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2014, 03:35:27 AM »
<snip>

So, each power had an accuracy, a damage, a recharge, an end redux, an end mod and a range. And then..I got Zapp. I couldn't figure out how to get the seventh slot for Reduce Interrupt Time....

<snip>

Was that pre- or post-ED?

It was only after ED that I really spent any significant time wrestling with enhancements -- very probably why my toons had so many problems :)

By then, I had mostly missed out on the whole 6-slotting funness :(

I didn't start using Mids until about 6 months before lights out.  I knew about it.  Had it installed even.  Just couldn't figure out how to use it. :)

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2014, 05:50:25 AM »

Sadly, it was.  I liked the Brute & Corrupter ATs (sort of the reverse powerset of their hero counterparts).  I really can't explain why the villain side was cricketsville a fair amount of time.  For me, it just didn't "feel" right.  Maybe I was spoiled by playing on the blue side for so long or perhaps I'm just not very "villainy". :)  My blue side SG created a red side SG [ - Villians Inc. - ] ... yes, it was purposely misspelled ... and hardly any of our SG created toons & joined it.

Er, I don't think it was purposely mispelled, in fact I recall the guy that grabbed the name on behalf of the group (unfortunately I forget his name) was rather upset when someone noticed the mispelling. Granted, by the time anyone noticed the base had already been fairly well established so everyone just sort of ran with it...

The most we ever got to go red side was when about 6 of us decided to create a chicken themed "flock" [I was a corrupter named The Chicken Lich] ... we had a good time for a while & caused quite a few eyebrow raises & groans -- especially when we would use our battle cry's :)

Those chicken runs were a lot of fun. I still have a few screenshots of it.
Spoiler for Hidden:

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2014, 12:21:07 PM »

Was that pre- or post-ED?

That was pre-ed. Issue 3, I bought myself the game as a Christmas present to myself. Had never heard of it before. Didn't even know it was an MMO until I got an invite into an SG by some random character.

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »
I can't wait until I see the Champion server's websites active again.  I personally will be redoing the Pillars of Might website (I have already started), and with Myr's permission I will help give B.O.S.S.' site a facelift.  I intend to make a section honouring all the past players and group from Champion.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2014, 03:49:21 PM »

Well, if Champion makes a return, I'll be glad to hook up with your group. I solo a lot, but I would love to do the red side strike forces at least once. My global is (and hopefully will be) MWRuger & MWRuger2. But if it doesn't - We'll always have Paris. We'd lost that until Ironwolf gave us New Efforts (If you can parse out that shoutout then it will say a lot about you!)

AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Neutrio

• Minion
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2014, 12:53:51 AM »
I can't wait until I see the Champion server's websites active again.  I personally will be redoing the Pillars of Might website (I have already started), and with Myr's permission I will help give B.O.S.S.' site a facelift.  I intend to make a section honouring all the past players and group from Champion.

Thanks for bringing that up.  I am going to have to go revamp the HI site -- http://heroesinc.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=21942&TabID=199004

Neutrio

• Minion
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2014, 01:03:34 AM »
Well, if Champion makes a return, I'll be glad to hook up with your group. I solo a lot, but I would love to do the red side strike forces at least once. My global is (and hopefully will be) MWRuger & MWRuger2. But if it doesn't - We'll always have Paris. We'd lost that until Ironwolf gave us New Efforts (If you can parse out that shoutout then it will say a lot about you!)

This?:

I was a Libertine as well! I played generally from 10 PM to 2 AM on weekedays and Sunday afternoons! @MWRuger was my global.

It would be great to do Redside stuff since I really did very little there - mostly badge whoring with my Blueside toon & a little with some of my short(-lived?) VG folks.  I never did any of the SFs. :(

Neutrio

• Minion
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2014, 02:48:05 AM »
<snip>

Those chicken runs were a lot of fun. I still have a few screenshots of it.
They were indeed quite fun.  FYI ... in the 1st pic, I'm the one in the back with the spikey sho-mo-mo-pads & Valkyrie ears :)
I can't find any screenies from that period ... I seem to recall a hard drive failure at one point ... maybe they all went to bit heaven.
Oh ... and the person you were trying to thing of is Annihilatorr -- he had to settle for an extra r for his global because someone else had already taken it -- then he changed it to some dragon name.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2014, 09:20:48 AM »
Nah, it wasn't Anni/Xlaxx, 'twas someone else. But wuddeva'.

jessejame

• Underling
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2018, 09:19:49 AM »
Hey y'all, my main was  Sgt. Jessejame wp/ss tank (50+2) leader of the heroes sg. I hope someone sees this and if you recognize me hollar. I'll post some pictures incase you remember faces better.  I'm specifically looking for these players: Will Smashya, Kalasin(global Wildcat) absoulutezero I think is how he spelled it. Vulkan whose son also played on another server. And Karina. The last two would remember me by Generic355something. An old ar/Dev blaster that used to be my main. when the game went down all contact was severed and these were some of my best teammates as well as friends. But due to life some did not log in, in time to heed the dire warning so if anyone knows them let them please know an old teammate and friend is looking for them and hasn't forgot.

Cobalt Azurean

• Underling
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2019, 02:12:41 PM »
Bump. Find us in the City of Heroes discord in the reconnect-champion channel.

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2019, 05:39:47 AM »

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2019, 01:52:35 PM »
Hey all...fyi I am Ryukira on Discord, you'll see me pop in and out of the server chat there. Also @nicoliy for my global on the server.

Mjericho82

• Underling
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2019, 06:46:46 PM »
My "mains" were on Champion and Freedom.  Evervescence, Mother Night, and Blazesun.

The Cajun

• Underling
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2019, 03:30:12 AM »
How do you join the champion channel in discord?

Good to see a lot of familiar names. Hello to everyone.

WarScribe

• Underling
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2019, 01:16:36 AM »