Author Topic: Review the Neverwinter MMO for me!  (Read 45806 times)

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
Re: Review the Neverwinter MMO for me!
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 06:35:33 PM »
It's a beta in name only. Strikes me the "beta" portion was the day one access to gauge the server status and adjust accordingly since the queues went from 21k to instant access within 24 hours. It's a lot easier to forgive queue lines during a "Open Beta" then "Launch Day".

All in all, I enjoy it. It scratches a Fantasy Itch and speaking as a lowbie...I really enjoy how powerful your character feels at low levels. Unlike WoW and LOTRO, you'll never feel like glorified pest control. How long it will hold my interest is up in the air, but for a game designed around the microtransaction, it's remarkably solid right out of the gate and the microtransaction stuff is non-obtrusive.

Given I've wandered the width and breadth of the F2P market since CoH closed, that really is saying something.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 07:00:42 PM »
Man, people are RUDE in Zone chat over there. Just now there were two people cursing out anyone who dared to ask a question in Zone chat. Nice.... and a nice way to ensure people leave the game. "If you just used your f*&(Ng brain, you could figure it out in two seconds!!" People like that irk me severely, and he wasnt even addressing me.

One more stupid question! Is there any way to drop missions? I have this "Defeat Karzov" mission there [its not actually the name of the mission, but that's what you have to do: defeat him] and that guy keeps mopping the floor with me. I could defeat him if not for the minions he keeps summoning....

True, I have gained 1.75 levels and endless l00t so far rerunning this mission three times, but its getting old and I'd like to move on.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 07:28:02 PM »
It's a new MMO. The hostility level in Zone Chat is going to be severe until things settle down and even out. Plus you've got to figure all the WoW Munchkins who jumped aboard the latest "WoW Killer" train.

Candie Firestar

• Underling
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 10:15:25 PM »
Man, people are RUDE in Zone chat over there. Just now there were two people cursing out anyone who dared to ask a question in Zone chat. Nice.... and a nice way to ensure people leave the game. "If you just used your f*&(Ng brain, you could figure it out in two seconds!!" People like that irk me severely, and he wasnt even addressing me.

One more stupid question! Is there any way to drop missions? I have this "Defeat Karzov" mission there [its not actually the name of the mission, but that's what you have to do: defeat him] and that guy keeps mopping the floor with me. I could defeat him if not for the minions he keeps summoning....

True, I have gained 1.75 levels and endless l00t so far rerunning this mission three times, but its getting old and I'd like to move on.

Easy solution to those cursing.  /Ignore them.

I'm in that Defeat Karzov mission also, playing a control wizard and getting my ass handed to me.  You should be able to open your Journal ( J key) and select Abandon mission.  I'm going to see if I can get some help with some of my CoH friends who are also playing Neverwinter to help me with it.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 11:16:59 PM »
THANK YOU CANDIE!!

I dont know anyone over there and I am scared to team until I get a better handle on things, so it looks like I will be dropping.

Rust: Plus you've got to figure all the WoW Munchkins who jumped aboard the latest "WoW Killer" train.

They're in Zone going, "This sucks, lets all go back to WOW!" and my thought is "Please do. Today." However they are being countered by many people who actually prefer the game to WOW, its pretty funny. People in WOW seem very threatened by the idea of another game threatening WOW's status. I saw the exact same smack-talking over in GW2.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 11:42:09 PM »
I've got to level 24 on my trickster rogue, which has an interesting playstyle. I've died 3 times in total, twice in boss fights when the boss was either on about 2% hits or already dead, once when I inadvertently pulled most of an outdoor zone. You really do get a lot more survivable when you get a companion at level 16. One thing it doesn't seem to say anywhere, you can have multiple companions, but can only summon one at a time. Being able to send one off to train and summon a different one however is useful.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 03:08:33 AM »
I wish I could say that! I was doing great death-wise till I met the aforementioned Karzov, who went all You Shall Not Pass on me.

Remember CoV's Lt. Blechly? Oh God..... I nearly QUIT the game over that guy. I was new to MMOs, and also new to CoV in particular. There I was, motoring calmly through Vendetti's arc when suddenly *insert sound of tires screeching to a stop here!* ROAD. BLOCK.

I got a PuG to help me finish that mission, and shortly afterward figured out that smart people always bring a BF or three with them when they go into a mission, especially alone. That's how you learn.

I must say though, Blechly was a bit MUCH for squishies under level ten. If you were a squishy who did not have Confuse, you were in trouble; my Dom had him for lunch, which was why my Corr was thinking she would, too. NO.

But as bad as he was, I would take the squishiest squishy to meet him, if only the game were up and running.

Oh well. I will learn about Karzov eventually. Unfortunately the Neverwinter servers seem to be down just now; much angst in the forums about it. Just when I get a bit of free time, too....

EDIT: Just noticed.... the KArzov mish is level nine. No wonder I was having trouble with it at level 7 and 8. I might keep it and see what happens in a level or two.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:21:50 AM by Illusionss »

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 03:13:51 AM »
Not just Neverwinter...it dragged STO and CO offline as well.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 03:34:53 AM »
I wish I could say that! I was doing great death-wise till I met the aforementioned Karzov, who went all You Shall Not Pass on me.

Remember CoV's Lt. Blechly? Oh God..... I nearly QUIT the game over that guy. I was new to MMOs, and also new to CoV in particular. There I was, motoring calmly through Vendetti's arc when suddenly *insert sound of tires screeching to a stop here!* ROAD. BLOCK.

I got a PuG to help me finish that mission, and shortly afterward figured out that smart people always bring a BF or three with them when they go into a mission, especially alone. That's how you learn.

I must say though, Blechly was a bit MUCH for squishies under level ten. If you were a squishy who did not have Confuse, you were in trouble; my Dom had him for lunch, which was why my Corr was thinking she would, too. NO.

But as bad as he was, I would take the squishiest squishy to meet him, if only the game were up and running.

Oh well. I will learn about Karzov eventually. Unfortunately the Neverwinter servers seem to be down just now; much angst in the forums about it. Just when I get a bit of free time, too....

EDIT: Just noticed.... the KArzov mish is level nine. No wonder I was having trouble with it at level 7 and 8. I might keep it and see what happens in a level or two.

+2 bosses can be rough, go do a foundry arc or two to level up if the content is getting too tough, but check the description to make sure the foundry arc is soloable.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »
Leveled up to level 9, upgraded my "armor" somewhat with some handy drops, bought a bunch of healing potions and now Karzov is dead. So, day 3 and I am still playing, which is almost a record.

Are we really only ever going to get two character slots? If so, that is going to suck.

Have not tried to recreate any of my CoX chracters over here, maybe later. I wanted to get a feel for the game without being distracted by nostalgia.

Olde Glory

• Minion
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 08:52:52 PM »
Is there a server that we are looking at as a home base? I just started on Dragon...

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 09:43:38 PM »
Are we really only ever going to get two character slots? If so, that is going to suck.

They're not charging for subscriptions so have to make money somehow. From what I hear additional slots aren't that expensive, $5 for two slots.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »
Ok, 'long as we can at least buy them.

Olde, I am on Dragon too. My character is currently level nine and is called Nightmaven.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 09:51:05 PM »
On Champions, you get an additional slot for reaching max level, but that's (I believe) only with a sub, which NW doesn't have. There is also some form of in game mineral (like CO's questionite or STO's dilithium) that you can trade in for Zen, or its equivalent. You should then be able to buy a character slot, right?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Candie Firestar

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 11:57:04 PM »
On Champions, you get an additional slot for reaching max level, but that's (I believe) only with a sub, which NW doesn't have. There is also some form of in game mineral (like CO's questionite or STO's dilithium) that you can trade in for Zen, or its equivalent. You should then be able to buy a character slot, right?

I think those are Astral Diamonds.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2013, 12:45:21 AM »
When i was in the Navy, we did a Mediterranean deployment, before there was a Euro-zone, so each of the countries still had its own currency. After the third country, we kept calling the money by the wrong name, so it all just became "Scooby Snacks."

So, you get Scooby Snacks that you can then sell in the Scooby Snack Market for Zen, which you then can use to buy "tangible" game assets, like character slots.

;D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 08:09:54 AM »
Is there a server that we are looking at as a home base? I just started on Dragon...

The server's are going to be merged shortly after launch.

Once you start getting more powers and companions the game gets easier.  I have a level 27 Control Wizard right now and he is just a wrecking ball especially with the striker companion.  One big thing in the game is learning your powers and they work with your other powers.  For example I have a move that creates a tornado of ice and does AoE damage.  This AoE damage can be increased in both duration and damage by adding chill stacks to the enemy which can be used with one of my at will powers.  So I use the first power and then use the second while the AoE is going off and it constantly increases damage every tick.  As a control wizard I always try to keep it so I always have 1 encounter up at all times so I can constantly have something to throw out if necessary.  Dodge can your best friend as well zip and zoom if you can!

Currently at level 27 I am happy to claim 0 deaths up to this point (Knock on wood) but then again Control Wizards are long range and long range always has a good track record in early game.  Now end game.....I have a feeling that count will go up.

I currently am on Beheader if anyone ever wants to team up(level doesn't matter to me ill go back to lower zones).  My chat handle is @alditour.  Feel free to message me if you are on beheader or after the servers merge I haven't played with any ex-CoHers yet, it would be nice.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2013, 09:50:28 AM »
I think those are Astral Diamonds.

Indeed they are. There's a cap of 24000 per day you can get normally. (You can get more than that, but they come in a 'rough' form and you can only refine 24000 per day.) There's one big difference from CO or STO, though. That being that the auction house runs on diamonds rather than gold, so if you're crafty you can make loads of diamonds on there.

And regarding server merges, all that's been stated is they'll merge them at some point, not when or even a general timeframe. Though I do have to wonder about that, given how Cryptic's engine works with instanced zones and multiple instances up at once it should scale just fine without imposing servers on top of that.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »
All I know is hopefully Cryptic and Perfect World invest in some funds into new servers. "It's a beta" is a common counter to complaints about the fact the game's gone down every day.

Which is a fine...if Neverwinter was the only one being affected. When it also drags STO and CO into the Underdark as well, something has gone horribly wrong.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2013, 05:41:18 PM »
Keeping in mind that I don't think I've really given the game a fair shake just yet, at only about 20-30 minutes in, I'm already unenthused.

The controls and combat are turning me off very quickly.  Even though I'm a touch typist and quite capable of finding the keys on the keyboard without looking down, I really prefer not to have to move my fingers at all during combat.  Now, in CoH I made an exception for that with my Masterminds and controlled pets mostly using the number pad, but my MMs did not typically take part directly in combat, either.  Maybe I should try using a gamepad or something, but I suspect that's not going to improve the experience much for me.

Mechanics so far aren't really drawing me in, either.  The most important piece of D&D for me is the Rogue.  And the most important aspect of the Rogue for me is solving problems creatively with as little direct combat as possible.  I'll give the game a bit more time to see if the playstyle I'm looking for presents its self at all in the next few levels, but I suspect I'm going to be disappointed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 07:33:45 PM by eabrace »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov