Author Topic: RIFT  (Read 2622 times)

Olde Glory

• Minion
RIFT
« on: June 13, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »
Now that RIFT is free to play, is anyone signing back in? In my opinion, it wasn't a bad game but it was really lacking in community. Hmm... I know some people that are good at that.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: RIFT
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 06:01:47 PM »
I registered and downloaded it Sunday (since it had a F2P up to level 20 version and it was going fully F2P soon I thought I'd try it out).  I plan on playing some more this weekend.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 08:13:42 PM »
Yep, I play Guardians on Threesprings.  I have a couple level 50s and the rest are low-20s or under.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 07:55:32 PM »
I'm pretty full on games right now (TSW, Fallen Earth, Defiance, and some of my CoH besties dragged me rather reluctantly into SWTOR), so I don't think I'll be jumping back in, but Rift is a good, solid game. I quite enjoyed the beta cycle, and the game's pretty typical of Trion QA (that is, very good...Defiance hurt their rep a bit, but trying to match the utterly set-in-stone release schedule of a TV show was never going to end well for any game studio...and the game works great now). High fantasy doesn't really work for me as a gaming genre, but for those who enjoy it, Rift is a very good choice.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 08:15:32 PM »
I, too, am downloading it, but I don't plan on jumping in, soon. I may give it a few weeks to settle down, or I may get to it later in the weekend. I'm coming to it without any foreknowledge or preconceptions, which can be good and bad. Basically, I'm not "aware" of it the way I was with Champions or anything based on a large, established IP (STO, NWO, DDO, etc).
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 08:07:54 PM »
I am downloading it this weekend as well.  If there is a CoH faction...what server/guardian/defiant...

Olde Glory

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 06:23:58 AM »
So far, I have been able to transfer servers free of charge. Very cool since I have some old characters in their 20's from when I used to sub years ago. We could just come to a concesus on a server and start up there if anyone plans on an extended stay.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:37:58 AM »
My wife plays on Faeblight and is enjoying it quite a bit. There's a descent group or role players there for those who are interested (http://www.faeblightunited.com/). The decorating they added with Storm Legion has been expanded on considerably with the F2P update and is a pretty good system. Overall, though, the game doesn't really engage me enough to play it seriously.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »
Just started goofing around with it for an hour or two. Seems very coh-ish so far, which is a good thing.

Sort of recreated one of my controllers using the mage.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 07:39:53 PM »
Just started goofing around with it for an hour or two. Seems very coh-ish so far, which is a good thing.

Sort of recreated one of my controllers using the mage.

I wouldn't say it's CoHish, but it is fun, unfortunately a lot more asshats around.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 12:41:28 AM »
I wouldn't say it's CoHish, but it is fun, unfortunately a lot more asshats around.

The layout of the trays and some powers reminded me of COH much more then say DCUO.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 12:47:33 AM »
Man! I really want to hold off until the initial glut of users dies down, but you guys are making it hard to resist the temptation to fire it up! :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 07:33:33 AM »
Gameplay-wise it reminded me a bit more of WoW than CoH.

And there's not enough character customisation, of course.  Nor a great variety of races to choose from.  The skill tree setup felt kinda like a build-your-own-3-tree-WoW-class ordeal.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 05:40:11 AM »
Ordeal?  I love the class system.  The ability to switch on the fly is fantastic, especially since each of your roles is set up exactly how you define it.  I love that.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 06:54:04 AM »
Yes, "ordeal".  There's too much going on there.  It's difficult to divine what's going to be effective, and it's a bit of an investment to find out.  And I got caught out once or twice getting powers I wouldn't have wanted had I known they were click-n-stick rather than targeted.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »
Ordeal?  I love the class system.  The ability to switch on the fly is fantastic, especially since each of your roles is set up exactly how you define it.  I love that.

It really hurts them though, you only ever need one character of each class per side per server because of the flexibility, this means they don't need to invest in levelling content, but if you don't raid it means there's not much new stuff to do.

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 10:28:03 AM »
That's what I like about the system, there's a lot to experiment with and respecs are basically free. But I also see that as a problem later on, it's too easy to try out everything so I would not be surprised to find myself not having anything new to do in the game a couple of months after I get one of each class to max level. That's purely from the charbuilding perspective of course, don't know about content.

Edit: There, Minotaur seems to have found himself in that exact situation. Well, I still have at least about half a year in the game I'd say, haha.