Author Topic: Powersets you wish they had put in.  (Read 7178 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Powersets you wish they had put in.
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 03:33:36 PM »

You know, this is very interesting and while not directly on topic is on subject with power sets because sometimes the type of powers can be or how they can be implemented sometimes depend on the system design.

Imagine all of Coh powers with co system of no recharge but rest of coh system. Talk about perma held. Or tier 9 aoe being spammed.

On one hand I like co freeform system as it allows freedom. While i could spam one attack if I chose I still use most of my powers. But others play for the most effective mean of play with the given system and thus if the most effective way is spamming one attack then they will. Some people basically have to be limited by system design. Giving them a choice is not effective for them. I think a hybrid system could work. Like a shared cooldown of similar powers. Meaning if you use an aoe all aoes in that category can't be used until the cooldown period expires. Meaning that one could by definition take all aoes but its not recommended especially if they chose to not take any other type of attacks. I think coh and co system in the way of recharge ate polar opposites. In coh the powers often had a recharge where I either ended up standing around waiting for powers o recharge or using that one quick recharge power aka spamming one power anyways with a powerful move here and there. If playing co if looking for most effective way I could use one power with using energy builder here and there. Although I prefer co system because I like action on not getting a up of coffee between attacks and hoping nothing hit me with -recharge or it will be a long day.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2013, 06:07:19 AM »
Some people basically have to be limited by system design. Giving them a choice is not effective for them. I think a hybrid system could work.

This is why you find some people in CO who're subscribed but playing archetypes anyway. Because they don't want to deal with the hassle of a freeform build, or tried it and what they came up with didn't work so they went back to something they know does. And I agree, that kind of premade build should be provided for anyone to use in a freeform game. Perhaps not as absolute as CO's archetypes are and certainly not mechanically inferior like they are (Freeform players get two more powers total than an archetype does), but they definitely need to be there. Personally I would simply build a more traditional 'powerset' in the freeform system and then offer that to players as an option if they want to just get straight to beating up bad guys.

As for a hybrid system where using one power sets a cooldown on another, STO has something like that. (In itself, STO uses another pretty close to freeform system) The way they do it is having abilities grouped into categories based on what system they use. So using Attack Pattern Alpha sets off a short cooldown on all other Attack Pattern abilities, using Emergency Power to Shields sets off a cooldown on all other Emergency Power abilities, etc. Given that some abilities in any given category can do wildly different things it sets up an interesting metagame of what to use when. Or it would, but Cryptic. I think the idea is sound though, especially for really powerful abilities to ensure you can't have your Elude or Unstoppable or whatever active and also start blowing people up with Inferno or Nova at the same time.

You know, this is very interesting and while not directly on topic is on subject with power sets because sometimes the type of powers can be or how they can be implemented sometimes depend on the system design.

True, CoH often had a lot of powers that were essentially the same thing at different power levels especially in attack sets, and other powers that could easily have been combined into one, all those toggles in every defensive set. But at the same time, having nine slots to fill out gave them the opportunity to make things like support and control sets have a lot of variety. While in CO the lower number of powers means those sorts of things are inherently going to be simplified. An attack or defense set doesn't lose much if you condense your three single target blasts into one chargeable power and your four defensive toggles into one slotted passive, but control and especially support lose a lot because a single power that does what three support powers together would do in CoH is considered overpowered in the eyes of most people.

Personally, I'm more than willing to accept a little redundancy when it comes to simpler concepts if it means the more complicated ideas are allowed to exist without having to lose anything.

You know, maybe we should take this to a new thread.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 06:56:29 PM »
Bacon Melee  :roll:

But more seriously, they added the type of powersets I had been waiting for: Staff, Titan Weapon, and then finally Martial Assault. 

I played the latter on the beta and it was awesome, but it was coming out in I24.  :-\
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian