Author Topic: Huge new write-up of CoH/PS closure on Gamasutra  (Read 19708 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Huge new write-up of CoH/PS closure on Gamasutra
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »
Let's just say that since November 30, I've logged WAY too many hours in The Binding of Isaac and the Marvel Heroes MMO closed beta.  While these are both good, fun games in my perspective, they aren't City of Heroes.

Soldier on despite the fact we're pushing 4.5 months from the game's closure.  If another MMO (I can't recall the title, as it was one I didn't know of) can come back to life after being down for what I think was 8 years, surely City of Heroes can make a comeback sooner than that as long as NCSoft, potential buyers, AND THE FORMER PLAYERS are reasonable in their interactions.

Yep. Especially the part in all caps because that is the only part we actually have and can have control over as individuals.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2013, 04:16:08 AM »
Then comes Lucy, I mean NCSoft and *YANK!!!* away with the football! Again! Damn straight players need to be warned.

OK, this! How did we not end up with a meme of this on the "We Need a Meme" thread!?

(I'm not calling for it, or anything, but this is a brilliant, evocative image!)

I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Palladiamors

• Minion
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »
You see here is the problem - Positron did not know that NCSoft was actually dealing in good faith. It may have been a simple - extend the talks until it is far too late for them to complain.

Become your enemy, what would you do if you were firing some people and shutting down an entire operation and all you had to do to maintain some level of goodwill and to slow down the ire of the consumers was to allow "talks" to go on that you had no intention of ever concluding.

Does this make them evil - or a clever business person?

Depends on which end of the phone you are on doesn't it? Sticking points occurred by Positron's own account - yet they did not know what they even were. Does that sound like an actual negotiation? It sounds more like a delay tactic - keep them off balance and hopeful all while you exit, quietly.

Now I haven't read it yet,  but the last bits important.  Did Posi not know what the sticking point was,  or is he not allowed to say?  Big difference there.  If he isn't allowed to say then not much to do about it.  If he doesn't KNOW,  then that's just NCsoft not playing ball.  You don't say "We don't like part of this,  but we aren't going to tell you.  End of negotiations."  You bring it up and see if it can be negotiated.

But as Xmas said,  this isn't going to change without some one's head on a chopping block.  NCsoft can't make themselves look bad by admitting they made a mistake.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2013, 04:26:17 PM »
My reading of it is that the people involved in the negotiations knew what it was, but are not allowed to say.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2013, 05:15:39 PM »
I'd have to sift back through the posts from VV in the weeks following the original announcement, but I thought Matt or Melissa or both were in the room with Brian and the other participants.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Quinch

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2013, 05:27:15 PM »
I'd have to sift back through the posts from VV in the weeks following the original announcement, but I thought Matt or Melissa or both were in the room with Brian and the other participants.

From what I can tell, Matt wasn't involved directly, but he was briefed on what was going on. Melissa, I don't know.

golemjoe

• Minion
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »

ALRIGHT, THAT'S IT!!!  WHICH OF YOU WAS MAILING CAKES TO THEM?!?!?

Like they had any incentive to deal with us after that..  they probably all went into a sugar coma for MONTHS!

Fans didn't stop there. Some community members put together a pitch package that they presented to Disney. Others
mailed cakes to NCsoft's Korean headquarters to protest the decision.

(Sorry if someone already beat me to this joke, I did try to check but didn't see the cakes vs capes error further in the thread.)