Author Topic: New Doctor Who ep (Probably spoilers)  (Read 14604 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: New Doctor Who ep (Probably spoilers)
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2013, 05:53:02 AM »
The galaxies weren't "going out" they were ceasing to exist. They were being snuffed out at the speed of time, not of light. Much like Madame Vastra turning to talk to Jenny, turning back to the starscape, and then turning back to find Jenny gone. Our normal perceptions of the laws of physics (intergalactic distances, allowing for "heat of the moment" hyperbole, not withstanding) do not apply.

And, yes, "Introducing John Hurt as The Doctor" is the best WHAM! moment that Moffat has given us, yet.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2013, 12:30:49 PM »
And, yes, "Introducing John Hurt as The Doctor" is the best WHAM! moment that Moffat has given us, yet.

I immediately began to crave a Doctor Who/Hellboy crossover.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »
Something I noticed, John Hurt was wearing a dark blue navy jacket, unbuttoned.

The 8th Doctor's outfit changed to a dark blue navy jacket:

That was the first thought I had when I saw John Hurt... I am guessing that he is going to be playing the 8th Doctor.  After all, Eccleston's 9th Doctor talked about the Time War in past tense...

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2013, 12:42:45 AM »
I'm not sure about the 8th Doctor theory. The way I'm seeing things is that he did something before he became the 1st Doctor that caused him to lock that persona away and to become The Doctor in an attempt to set right what he had done wrong.
Just a thought. We'll have to wait and see.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2013, 12:43:03 AM »
Yep, saw that on IO9.  Also saw this, not as fun as the "they fight crime" generator but humorous at times.  Plus Karen "Amy Pond" Gillan is playing a villain in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2013, 03:21:10 AM »
Bring back David Tennant...

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »
Can't really say I'll miss Matt Smith all that much.  He never really grew on me.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2013, 01:34:01 PM »
Can't really say I'll miss Matt Smith all that much.  He never really grew on me.

Boo!  >:(

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2013, 02:21:04 PM »
It can't be helped.  Many of his episodes have been pretty ho-hum to me, and mostly what I've enjoyed of his run has been the direct result of his friends and companions.  I like John Hurt's Doctor more and I've only known him for a few moments.  But Matt Smith still isn't my least liked Doctor - that one is still Peter Davison's Doctor (honestly, Peter Davison's Campion is a better Doctor than Peter Davison's Doctor).

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2013, 07:34:56 PM »
With the regular use of Richard Grant, who played the Doctor in the Scream of the Shakla, another thought has struck me. In End of Days, the Doctor talked about how the Time Lords kept rewriting history, which is how they ressurected the Master and Rassilon. This would in turn rewrite the Doctors own history in the process. What if the cannon becomes that the 8th Doctor got rewritten by the whole affair? This resulted in first the shift from the Doc Holiday outfit to the navy jacket. Then the shift to the Shakla Doctor, who again sports a similar outfit. This fits with the way in which the Shakla Doctor behaves, always complaining about being driven and commanded to do something for a higher group. This fits a doctor who is being commanded on the field of battle by the Time Lords. Then as the laws of reality keep twisting the universe, we get John Hurt's Doctor, one now driven to near madness from the twists to his timeline caused by the war. To save himself, he locked away the war, undoing the damage, at the cost of his own life. But as he was at the moment, where the dissolution of the universe or the saving, the storm which swept away the Time War went around him. Thusly, he regenerated instead of being locked away with the rest of the Time Lords as he likely thought would happen. Hence his statement, that he did it without choice, for "peace and sanity." Ending the time war would indeed save sanity and bring peace. The Oncoming Storm, the beast who destroyed everyone he cared for, to save the universe itself.