Author Topic: New Doctor Who ep (Probably spoilers)  (Read 14583 times)

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
Re: New Doctor Who ep (Probably spoilers)
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 02:25:17 AM »
I actually liked this episode. A bond villain plot, another reappearance of Madam Vastra and company, and some interesting plot points.

Vastra and co, are now going to be concerned about the reappearance of Clara. Someone they knew was dead. The Doctor is acting stranger than usual. And something bigger is brewing in the background. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Side note: Accurate directions being given by Thomas Thomas... subtle joke there. I like it.

lol

damn it.  I just got that. *Forehead slap*

I hope the kid sticks with them. I like him.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2013, 02:35:27 AM »
Side note: Accurate directions being given by Thomas Thomas... subtle joke there. I like it.
When the kid gave directions, I was thinking, "He sounds just like a GPS."  Yeah, I walked right into that one.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2013, 12:40:32 PM »
I kept being reminded of The Happiness Patrol with this episode. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »
Vastra and co, are now going to be concerned about the reappearance of Clara. Someone they knew was dead. The Doctor is acting stranger than usual. And something bigger is brewing in the background. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.
The Doctor doesn't know and he rarely if, at least with this Doctor, ever admits when he doesn't have a clue, or at least a theory or even an educated guess. 

I would like more Clara/Doctor banter however, I missed that.  I blame the new 44 minute length that these episodes have.  In longer episodes you can fill the time with clever and witty dialog between the running about scenes but now there's almost no time.  We really need a two parter.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2013, 08:51:16 PM »
Didn't get much enjoyment out of the Cyberman episode.

But while rewatching the Sweetville adventure it became apparent that Matt Smith makes a perfect Frankenstein's monster.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2013, 08:57:46 PM »
I adored the Cyberman episode. After 50 years, the Cybermen have adapted. Brand new Status Quo for a classic villain without casting out everything that made them such a threat.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2013, 02:11:01 AM »
I thought the episode was pretty good.  Only two things I didn't like about it was the borgified Doctor acting all flamboyant and Matt Smithish with both the Doctor and Cyber Planner personality dominant.  Cybermen have never had personality.  The whole point of Cybermen is the suppression of emotion.

And I suppose the second didn't really bother me a lot because I'm used to accepting nonsense in the name of entertainment for Doctor Who.  But pointing out the missing galaxy made me cringe.  The closest galaxy to the Milky Way is 2 million light years away.  Even if they were in another galaxy and space were so crowded the galaxies were practically colliding it would still be at least 200,000 years before that part of the sky turned black.

And next week in the finale the three stooges are back.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2013, 02:17:17 AM »
Oh and before somebody mentions that there are galaxies far closer to us than 2 million light years I'm not counting dwarf galaxies since the on pointed out took up a sizable area of the sky so it would have to be a very large galaxy.  On the other hand I suppose I could be wrong and it was a dwarf galaxy only 10,000 light years away.   Heck, lets call it 5,000 light years.  But it still wouldn't be a black spot in the sky yet.

FemFury

• Underling
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2013, 05:51:37 AM »
Oh and before somebody mentions that there are galaxies far closer to us than 2 million light years I'm not counting dwarf galaxies since the on pointed out took up a sizable area of the sky so it would have to be a very large galaxy.  On the other hand I suppose I could be wrong and it was a dwarf galaxy only 10,000 light years away.   Heck, lets call it 5,000 light years.  But it still wouldn't be a black spot in the sky yet.

Ex-physics major here.  That bugged me too.

The only handwave I could come up with is maybe the "amusement park world" was purposefully built around a rogue star, outside the galaxy, only 950 light-years from the nearby dwarf galaxy which was destroyed in the cyber-wars.   Such a location would make for spectacular night-time views the right time of year (like Sagan's "not a sunrise, but a galaxy-rise").   And it would be an "exotic locale" for the galactic civilization.  And it would be a good "middle of nowhere" to send a punishment platoon for an intergalactic empire, once the park shut down.  And its extreme closeness to the last stand of the cybermen would explain the remnant force.  (maybe the entrepreneur accidentally built on a world which had a deeply hidden reserve force)

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2013, 11:26:07 PM »
Yeah the whole Missing galaxy thing bothered me too.

even if it were close enough that you would see the first few stars go out, it would take tens of thousands of years before you saw all of them go out even for a small galaxy.

now if you didn't blow them up but rather simply erased them from time so that they never existed that would make the nice empty hole to view...

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2013, 01:08:17 AM »

!

I simply did not see that coming. Wow.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2013, 03:02:48 AM »
wow..... I mean....

I think I'm going to be speechless until November.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2013, 03:42:09 AM »
My roommate sort of called it, but not like that.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2013, 08:31:07 AM »
I thought she might have been a fragment of the Tardis persona fragmented across time when it exploded.  Turns out she is sort of the eternal companion.

Well I think this was the last time we see River.  I don't think I've ever seen the Doctor so emotional, so passionate, so straightforward romantic toward any of his companions.  River really was someone very special to him.

November can't come fast enough.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:36:45 PM by FatherXmas »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2013, 09:01:38 AM »
Looking forward to the resolution.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2013, 02:26:05 PM »
NOVEMBER!!!!!????!??? >:( >:( >:( >:( :gonk:

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
Well I think this was the last time we see River.  I don't think I've ever seen the Doctor so emotional, so passionate, so straightforward romantic toward any of his companions.  River really was someone very special to him.

Given the potential implication that she was downloaded into the TARDIS through Clara's telepathic link, I wouldn't be so sure about River. 

The 50th Anniversary special can't come soon enough.  I want to find out more about John Hurt's "the Doctor" and where he fits in.

Loved the Valeyard reference.  The Trial of a Time Lord is one of my favourite arcs.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »
So...Clara was on Gallifrey when the Doctor stole the TARDIS. Meaning in at least one incarnation, she was a Gallifreyian (Which would explain then how she could read the History of the Time War in Journey to the Center of the TARDIS).

What if Clara was the mysterious Lady in White from Ten's final adventure The End of Time?

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »
I really loved this episode.  Even though I like the Clara/Doctor dynamic, this is the first episode that I loved as much as prior companion's stories.  Can't wait for November.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2013, 05:59:37 AM »
Something I noticed, John Hurt was wearing a dark blue navy jacket, unbuttoned.

The 8th Doctor's outfit changed to a dark blue navy jacket: