Author Topic: TERA  (Read 1981 times)

Spellcaster Hana

• Minion
  • City of Heroes will always and forever be my home.
    • Hana's Deviantart
TERA
« on: March 27, 2013, 03:01:49 AM »
Well, since nobody have asked this, has anyone tried TERA? I'm currently playing it and it's taking away my CoX withdrawals for a bit. It's definitely not CoX, but I'm just curious on what people think...
"Sometimes, crossing the line is necessary in order to move forward."
"ALL HAIL EMPEROR COLE!!!" ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
----------
My Deviantart: http://hanariblue.deviantart.com

Adelante

• Boss
Re: TERA
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:48:42 AM »
I played it a bit.  I have a level 20-ish Mystic. 

The game is not bad, but I don't really rate it as "good" either.  For me it's unplayable except with a controller, and then it's only barely playable.  That's completely subjective, of course.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »
I play it off and on. It's beautiful, and uses the same engine as TPP, so is a good object study for me.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 08:12:27 AM »
I played it for awhile.  Got a... Mystic? whatever the cleric class is, anyway, up towards level 44-46 IIRC.  And a few other characters of varying levels.  The instanced dungeons were fraught with issues, and there were things I didn't like about fighting big monsters that began to be really bad at the high levels and which ultimately caused me to give up on the game.  But it held my attention longer and more firmly than any other fantasy MMOG I've played.  And I personally preferred playing with the original textures from the Korean version installed.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 07:49:08 AM »
I played for a bit. Don't recall what level I was, though.

Loved the graphics, but it just didn't really keep me hooked in, and I wandered away for FFXI and the beta of FFXIV again.
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 06:31:55 PM »
I tried Tera, but I just couldn't get into it.  I'm a "clicker," so I really hate not being able to use my mouse unless I hit alt.  I also wasn't a fan of the camera because I couldn't figure out how to get the same view (over the shoulder) that we had in COH.  It does look beautiful, but I found it unplayable.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 04:59:36 AM »
I tried Tera, but I just couldn't get into it.  I'm a "clicker," so I really hate not being able to use my mouse unless I hit alt.  I also wasn't a fan of the camera because I couldn't figure out how to get the same view (over the shoulder) that we had in COH.  It does look beautiful, but I found it unplayable.

A bit of a necropost, but I can agree on the camera, it's horribly inconsistent the way it's designed, and feels cumbersome to use in an MMO game (Trying to lineup the camera directly behind my character is tricky, and has to be redone nearly every time I load up the game...).

Add on top of that the overtly "WoW like" gameplay(with game pad controls instead of keyboard/mouse), the tedious grinding of Filler critters with no decernable story to really keep you interested past the tutorial area, the absurd prices for "renting" items from the market place, and the common-place Loli innuendos about the Elin (not to mention barely legal so called "armor" that all other female races wear...), and the game just feels awkward to play at times in more ways than one... :-[

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 09:29:58 AM »
Aye, sorry for the necro posting, I just got around to trying Tera, though, and agree with your assessment.

Sigh.  I really miss COH.