Author Topic: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....  (Read 60699 times)

primeknight

• Boss
Re: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....
« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2013, 04:45:15 AM »
I remember the first day I played:

In the tutorial I decided, it'd be silly to hang out and beat up a bunch of enemies just to see if something special happened.  The a few years later I was camping in Recluse's Victory for the badge.

Galaxy City was awesome and I vowed to have my character stand where Brawler stood.  And the very last day of the game I logged back into my first character where I left him, standing guard in Galaxy City before it's destruction.  And Brawler wasn't there so my character Panthera Knight: took over as trainer in a lost zone.

I remember getting lost on my way to my first team mission and unteaming so I could learn to use the maps and not hold my team back.  There was a very nice peacebringer on the team that tried to coach me.

I remember cheating my way through the hollows by getting stealth on my first character

I remember not getting stamina (or fitness at all) on my first character claws/sr at level 20, and it was really tough to fight my way to level 26 to finally pick it up.

I remember when my SR scrapper was unhittable without elude, by just slotting up the defense toggles.

I remember perma hasten

I remember elude being down for only a minute at most, and I had the crash timing down to a science to the point I knew when the crash was going to happen and with a  "blue" at the ready.  Toggles didn't drop

I remember when elude didn't blink before it crashed/ended (same with other click powers)

I remember during the villain beta event, I wanted to play as a hero helping the other heroes invading the Rogue Isles.  I logged in only to find out that there was no way to get to the Isles and the place was a ghost town hero side.  So I quickly made a villain and joined the party

I remember that epic music that played in Mercy the first time I engaged in the fight during the beta event with the villains against the heroes (who were classed as giant monsters)

I remember taking a hiatus after ED and the global defense nerf.

I remember wanting to perma hasten again so bad on my first character.  I never did because I changed mains and focused my incarnate time on my "new"/other main (who happened to be my global namesake character and my second character and my first with fly: Prime Knight

I remember getting hover for the first time and taking a good 5 - 10 minutes to hover up to the top of the closest building I could find

I remember the first time I went to the shard I started a TF and while I was fighting in that magically epic zone I got my first 50

I remember checking out the game again around issue 10 and falling in love with the attack on the Ritki mothership

Also I remember standing on top the ritki mothership's shields and just hanging out there for a while(back when the RWZ was the RCS)

I remember playing with a few great players like Psionique and Tennyson who were both awesome in game friends. 

I remember taking out Lord Recluse with my scrapper who did the entire end Villain sorry arc in a night (because I wanted to make him a hero/vigilante again)

I remember having to spam speed boost so much in one mission and having so much the opposite of fun that I immediately quit the team after the mission and respec'ed out of it forever (it also didn't fit my character concept)

I remember finding out with glee that ninja run + siphon speed = max running speed

I remember mastering the incarnate powers and completely falling in love with my mind/kin controller

I remember loving every single power of mind control.

I remember the awesomeness / brokenness that was mass confusion and fulcrum shift on one character

I remember levitating level 1 bad guys with my level 50 and lunching them into orbit

I remember wasting away the day using levitate, repel, and telekinesis to knock baddies off the rooftops

I remember siphon speed + hover was just like an unsuppressed fly

I remember unsuppressed fly and superspeed

I remember the game before pvp, and how suddenly afterward there was a huge need to balance the powers vs each other

I remember the first time I used the incarnate lighting attack and realizing there was no turning back: I had to master all of it.

I remember loving all the incarnate content I tried (sans green light instant hit that made barrier useless)

I remember the new Pretoria zones and how beautiful they looked and being impressed at how the game was progressing

Likewise I remember the beginning of Villains and new content and creative and challenging additions.

I remember realizing I didn't have time to play the game anymore and deciding it was silly to keep paying money to the game.  So I stopped paying in July 2012  (A month later they announced the city's closure)

I remember playing every night from October through November (and a bunch in September), wishing the game would never go.

I remember taking as many screenshots I could of my main, and the last day I took screenshots of all my favorite characters:  the hardest one was my first and former main: Panthera Knight: who I left in the lost Galaxy City (not the echo): standing proudly as the last trainer in the zone.  I almost cried when I had to say good bye knowing I'd never see my friend again.

I remember fighting through an awesome last LGTF and kicking but and then failing at the end of a STF (LibertyTF) and being the last Hero there: staring down Recluse knowing there was nothing more I could do but to hold on to the TF until the end.

I remember going back to Croatoa, flying through the zone and playing chase with my German Shepard until the end.

I remember getting 5 extra minutes of playtime after midnight and fruitlessly hoping they were going to leave the servers on.

I remember being forcibly kicked from the Liberty server in the middle of a broadcast chat where I tried to say good bye.  And I couldn't finish typing "bye", my hands were shaking so much.  (before I could finish typing the end came)

I remember the city being there when I desperately needed an escape, where I knew who the bad guys were. 

I remember my 50's:
Panthera Knight claws/sr/bm Incarnate (1st lvl R) scrapper
Prime Knight mind/kin/psi Incarnate(5th lvl VR) controller
Pshun Keru peacebringer
Bestia Di Morte necro/dark/widow MM

I remember my alts

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2013, 05:55:05 AM »
In the tutorial I decided, it'd be silly to hang out and beat up a bunch of enemies just to see if something special happened.  The a few years later I was camping in Recluse's Victory for the badge.
That made me laugh.  I was in pretty much the same boat there.  :)

I remember when elude didn't blink before it crashed/ended (same with other click powers)
I used to keep a stopwatch handy and time the crash every time I fired off Unstoppable.  I was so happy when they added the flashing icons.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #262 on: May 10, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »
I remember taking as many screenshots I could of my main, and the last day I took screenshots of all my favorite characters:  the hardest one was my first and former main: Panthera Knight: who I left in the lost Galaxy City (not the echo): standing proudly as the last trainer in the zone.  I almost cried when I had to say good bye knowing I'd never see my friend again.

I remember fighting through an awesome last LGTF and kicking but and then failing at the end of a STF (LibertyTF) and being the last Hero there: staring down Recluse knowing there was nothing more I could do but to hold on to the TF until the end.

I remember going back to Croatoa, flying through the zone and playing chase with my German Shepard until the end.

I remember getting 5 extra minutes of playtime after midnight and fruitlessly hoping they were going to leave the servers on.

I remember being forcibly kicked from the Liberty server in the middle of a broadcast chat where I tried to say good bye.  And I couldn't finish typing "bye", my hands were shaking so much.  (before I could finish typing the end came)

I remember the city being there when I desperately needed an escape, where I knew who the bad guys were. 

I remember my 50's:
Panthera Knight claws/sr/bm Incarnate (1st lvl R) scrapper
Prime Knight mind/kin/psi Incarnate(5th lvl VR) controller
Pshun Keru peacebringer
Bestia Di Morte necro/dark/widow MM

I remember my alts

All of this made me so sad to read. As someone who never had the time in those last months, I'm glad you had the chance to log as much time as you could in the end.

Shout out to a fellow Liberty serverite!
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #263 on: May 10, 2013, 02:29:18 PM »
... Hamikinis

Does it count if I wasn't around for those days but knew about it enough to make a character based on them?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #264 on: May 10, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »
Does it count if I wasn't around for those days but knew about it enough to make a character based on them?
I find it highly appropriate that the hamikini became such a part of the collective conscious that it manifested its own avatar.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

CycloneCyan

• Underling
« Reply #265 on: May 12, 2013, 12:35:05 AM »
Anyone remember when they first opened Recluse's Victory they made a huge event on test server and you were auto leveled to fourty and could pretty much try any power set you want?

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #266 on: May 12, 2013, 04:42:53 AM »
Anyone remember when they first opened Recluse's Victory they made a huge event on test server and you were auto leveled to fourty and could pretty much try any power set you want?
I remember as a noobie getting my tail kicked there....Humiliating.  :gonk:

However, later it was a nice zone to team with friends, taking out enemy turrets .
Something different to do from running missions or TF's,and still have fun. that's where Healers were welcome. Many times it was just 3 of us.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #267 on: May 12, 2013, 04:50:41 AM »

*clenches fist* UUURRRRRGGHH AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! *goes to post in the 'how are you handling the loss' thread*
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

CycloneCyan

• Underling
« Reply #268 on: May 12, 2013, 06:09:18 AM »

However, later it was a nice zone to team with friends, taking out enemy turrets .
Something different to do from running missions or TF's,and still have fun. that's where Healers were welcome. Many times it was just 3 of us.
lol yeah not too many people use PvP zones and those that take them seriously take them really seriously. I think most people thought of them as a way of getting temp powers and XP

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #269 on: May 13, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »
*clenches fist* UUURRRRRGGHH AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! *goes to post in the 'how are you handling the loss' thread*

I knoww right? It's a great picture and a huge source of sadness. I think I'll take a look there myself.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Energy Aura

• Boss
  • Mids' "Data Entry Drone"
« Reply #270 on: May 14, 2013, 06:26:15 AM »
OK...My favorites from days of yore...

--Box Running in the BP mission at portal corp while on a street sweeping team fighting mobs and getting XP for mobs and boxes...

--Cora Fruit Farms

--When Phase Shift allowed you to click blinkies

--Spines/Regen out tanking the tanks

--Multi PA/Phantasm Illusion Controllers

--When Gravity Control had group teleport in the set

--WHEN JACK LEFT ! ! !

--Finding the first RW friend that played too!!!

--The original Mids

--Leveling pre-purple patch

--Perma Unstoppable

--Unyielding Stance

--See Kronos spawn in Atlas Park during a costume contest

--Teleport griefing (dropping people off buildings rezzing and doing it again)

--Playing WoW at level 60 and asking when you get Travel Powers...LOL

--Reviews by everyone that CoH was the ultimate game in the newest genre

--First year Winter Event leveling new characters to 20

--Wolf and container farming

--Freak farms

--Fire/Dev Blasters soloing to 40 faster than teams

--Fire/Kin Farming

--Server PvP events

--Repeatedly beating Iron Sites' PvP Blapper with my PvE Blaster...LOL

--Mass leveling everytime a new set/sets were put out

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #271 on: May 14, 2013, 01:36:28 PM »

My biggest MWAHAHAHAHA moment in CoH was confusing turrets to shoot each other (for those that didn't go there, the turrets were on each end of an X shape and you could get them to shoot their neighbour)

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #272 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:22 PM »
My biggest MWAHAHAHAHA moment in CoH was confusing turrets to shoot each other (for those that didn't go there, the turrets were on each end of an X shape and you could get them to shoot their neighbour)

And that reminded me of the quirk I found with the final revision the devs made to the spawn portals on the Oranbega maps that caused me to farm the missions where I got a mission with them while playing certain characters -- any character with a Confuse power like Deceive. The portals could be confused with two or three applications of the power, and then they wouldn't spawn mobs. Once the portal was confused, it could be held (it would take two or three applications of a hold to lock down a portal, and the first application started the spawning, so confusing the portal first would let you lock it down without aggro, but a single-target hold generally recharged faster) and destroyed for a nice chunk of XP. When I got missions that had the chamber with seven of the portals in it, I would generally reset the mission several times and just beeline for the portal room (easier done with an Illusion controller) to clear the one room and exit.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #273 on: May 15, 2013, 04:44:53 AM »
The original Cathedral of Pain, where a very nasty exploit would allow you to get to 50 within minutes. That didn't last long.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #274 on: May 19, 2013, 04:46:46 AM »
I remember the first time I got buffed by a friendly stranger.   Some teammates and I were running in steel canyon, past the statue up toward the NW corner and caught aggro on a big red outcast mob.   I figured we were toast but we kept getting heals (and probably other buffs) and took'em down.   I typed "thanks!" in local and turned around to see who'd done the healing.   I saw, "No problem, it's my job," and watched him turn away, take three steps and just fly off. 

just fly off

OMG it was the most awesome gaming moment I'd had up to that point, I think.   Right out of a comic book, or freakin' Superman the movie.

The olden days were just so different.  Paragon City from street-level.   

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2013, 04:58:30 AM »
I remember the first time I got buffed by a friendly stranger.   Some teammates and I were running in steel canyon, past the statue up toward the NW corner and caught aggro on a big red outcast mob.   I figured we were toast but we kept getting heals (and probably other buffs) and took'em down.   I typed "thanks!" in local and turned around to see who'd done the healing.   I saw, "No problem, it's my job," and watched him turn away, take three steps and just fly off. 

just fly off

OMG it was the most awesome gaming moment I'd had up to that point, I think.   Right out of a comic book, or freakin' Superman the movie.

The olden days were just so different.  Paragon City from street-level.

This captures almost exactly my early game experience back in 2005.  Well written! 

Man I miss this game so much.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2013, 11:05:29 AM »
I still remember my first day in CoH, on a trial account way back just before issue 8 came out. I'd run out of missions to do in Galaxy City where I started and the next contat I'd been given was in Kings Row. I didn't know about the trains so I took a look at my map and oh hey, that gate to the south goes to King's Row. So off I went, not knowing the mobs on the other side of said gate would be 4-5 levels higher than me. But it wasn't them that flattened me, no. I saw and avoided them, only to be casually stomped on by a Clockwork Paladin. But that wasn't what made me want to get the game.

What made me want to get the game was what happened next. In broadcast chat I saw someone advertising a team to take down that very same Paladin. So I sent the guy a tell saying hey, I'm only level 5 but I'll lend a hand if I can. In any other game I'd have gotten called a noob and told to learn to play, or some such. In CoH, I got given a team invite and sidekicked. And so I promptly went and kicked the pants off what in any other game would most likely be a raid boss, at level 5. And I wanted to get CoH from that moment until I found a single copy sitting on a shelf in a game shop some six months later.

Nothing to do with the game's content, flying, superpowers in general. Not that at all, but rather the friendly community and the way that even back then levels didn't really matter. Sidekicking should be a feature in every game, seriously. That, global chat and travel abilities that are actually properly fast had and still have every right to be expected standard features in every new MMO, because they're just that amazing.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure I've posted all that before somewhere on these forums, so if I sound like a broken record feel free to just ignore me. :p

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #277 on: May 19, 2013, 02:30:51 PM »
I remember looking for the Hollows and not being able to find it on the train... ;D

finally sent a tell to someone that was in the hollows to as "How did you get there?"  guy was super nice, and explained

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #278 on: May 20, 2013, 02:03:49 AM »
That made me laugh.  I was in pretty much the same boat there.  :)
I used to keep a stopwatch handy and time the crash every time I fired off Unstoppable.  I was so happy when they added the flashing icons.

I never even used unstoppable until it got a warning icon.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #279 on: May 20, 2013, 02:36:11 AM »
Remember the one year anniversary where we all gathered in Atlas Park and boogied?  :)
By far, one of the laggiest evenings I can remember, you could barely move.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---