Author Topic: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....  (Read 60700 times)

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
Re: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2013, 09:14:55 AM »
The burning building in Steel.  I was on my lvl 50 stone/stone tank and it blew up.  I checked the combat tab to find it had done 45,000 hp of damage  :o

Ya know, people really wanted Psionic Melee... but i think Building Melee would have been WAY more impressive.

Explosive Melee?
Woo! - Argent Girl

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
Ya know, people really wanted Psionic Melee... but i think Building Melee would have been WAY more impressive.

Explosive Melee?

And in my mind I hear Elastigirl from the Incredibles. "You knocked down a BUILDING?!"

glimmershade

• Underling
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2013, 01:41:30 PM »
I remember playing CoH on dial-up when it first launched.  Lots of patches...lots of impatiently waiting...

Ugh, this was me too. There was no high speed option out here in the sticks back then. I remember downloading patches for CoV when it first came out and it taking three days. Even when I left it download all night long while I slept. THREE DAYS.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »
* Once you *could* reach 50, there were often as many L1's in Peregrine Island as L50's. Unsurprisingly, Broadcast in PI consisted primarily of  "PL me" or "Bridge wanted" chatter.  The "bridge" was the guy who was exactly the right level to max XP between the L50 and L1 (I forget the exact level)

If I remember correctly, you wanted a level-47 character to bridge, making the sidekicked character level-46, to maximize the XP bonus from level difference; if you were only sidekicked to level-45, you exceeded the maximum level spread in the team and wouldn't get any XP.

* The kora fruit mission could be kept indefinitely for medium inspies (My I-1 main still had *that* mission too)  :)

You originally got large inspirations from the Kora fruit, until the devs decided this was an exploit and reduced them to mediums; my Fire/Rad Controller still had a 'large cave' Kora-fruit misson at shutdown, too.

* When you had to unlock different contacts to be able to purchase "non-power 10" DO's and SO's (like end-mod, dmg resist, etc).  It was also important to know (in the mid levels) to sell stuff to the proper contact(s) for the best prices if you wanted to be able to afford your next set of SO's. Oh, and the stores?  They weren't shown on your map -- you had to learn where they were.

It wasn't unlocking the contacts per se; it was getting them to 'friend' status -- the point where they gave you their cell number so you didn't have to keep running back to them. And this was because the stores only sold the 'Power 10' enhancements at the bottom level (i.e., 15 for DOs, 25 for SOs); you either had to get the non-Power-10 enhancements from your friend-status contacts or tough it out until the next tier (level-20 DOs, level-30 SOs), when the stores would  carry the full set of enhancements.

* Perma: Hasten, PA, armies of fire imps, multiple phantasms, were all *easily* attained on SO builds, and Ill/Rad Controllers were *the* AV soloists.

Going along with the 'armies of fire imps' was the drawback that you had to stop every time you zoned, went through a door, or up/down an elevator and resummon them, because they all died every time you got shifted to a new map

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »
You originally got large inspirations from the Kora fruit, until the devs decided this was an exploit and reduced them to mediums; my Fire/Rad Controller still had a 'large cave' Kora-fruit misson at shutdown, too.

My badge character had that mission too, though I grabbed it not for inspirations, but as quick transit to make a day job badge more convenient. When working on the shadow shard day job badge I would select it and mission teleport to it just before logging out.

Then sometime around freedom release, the mission door somehow bugged out. After some patch I logged in and the entrance was no longer a cave in firebase zulu, but rather a truck in Atlas Park. I kept the mission just for the novelty of it.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2013, 06:04:27 PM »
Anyone remember getting the PvP kill badges? The ones where u defeat players for rep and I think when ya reach 400 you get badge.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »
I'm too far away for my mentor to help me!

At work we used to have a mentoring system where we senior folks would get assigned a junior employee to guide and advise.  I always told mine she had to stay within 225 feet of me.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2013, 07:11:22 PM »
Anyone remember getting the PvP kill badges? The ones where u defeat players for rep and I think when ya reach 400 you get badge.

Disruptor

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2013, 07:15:40 PM »
Disruptor
Yes yes that's the one. I remember when it was simple to get because the pvp zones were chocked full of people at all hours of the day. Alas none post 13 had any chance to get it. It was news flash or the odd SG doijg pvp before running into someone else willing to fight. While badge hunters could have worked, I don't fight people that didnt want to fight back.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2013, 08:29:14 PM »
At work we used to have a mentoring system where we senior folks would get assigned a junior employee to guide and advise.  I always told mine she had to stay within 225 feet of me.
Awesome.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2013, 08:31:15 PM »
Disruptor

You mean Longbow Warden 2, the one that indirectly made Empath possible on non-healers. Ah, the AFK Gladiator farms...

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »
You mean Longbow Warden 2, the one that indirectly made Empath possible on non-healers. Ah, the AFK Gladiator farms...
My Mastermind got it the slightly more difficult way:  Arch-Mage of Agony.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2013, 09:22:04 PM »
A certain type of scenery trees used extensively in Croatoa as well as in several outdoor instanced maps (and parts of Perez IIRC) had "weak" collision boundaries. Once you bumped up against it, you could turn on sprint, look straight at it, and push right through, into the scenery which otherwise had no collision. Lots of empty spaces you could get into that way, or even under the map in a few places.

That problem existed for years, pretty much the entire time I was playing. It finally got fixed in Issue 23. :-\

There were also a few tree spots in Bloody Bay that got fixed as you stated above, but I don't think they fixed the logout/login under the map spots in WB.  Big time pvp recipe farms under the map in WB....You could hear them under the map and see them if you flew high enough when the layered graphics disappeared.  Dangit I miss the game!!!

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »
Disruptor

I remember when that badge was bugged and it would award for performing some other task in a PvP zone (don't remember what it was, and the wiki page doesn't have a historical note, either). My badge hunter had Disruptor for over a year before I hunkered down and worked on the 100 rep badge the normal way.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2013, 08:48:08 AM »
I'm too far away for my mentor to help me!

Oh man.  I completely forgot about that!  Nice nostalgia moment. Thank you sir!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2013, 08:50:04 AM »
I remember when that badge was bugged and it would award for performing some other task in a PvP zone (don't remember what it was, and the wiki page doesn't have a historical note, either). My badge hunter had Disruptor for over a year before I hunkered down and worked on the 100 rep badge the normal way.
It wasn't bugged. Disruptor was originally granted when you completed a debuff mission in a PVP zone. The flavor text agreed.

Then it was changed to being the 400 rep badge.

At some point between when they decided to change it to a rep badge and when it actually changed, there may have been a flavor text discrepancy (updating the flavor text before the flag got changed?)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FourSpeed

• Lieutenant
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2013, 06:18:07 PM »
Then sometime around freedom release, the mission door somehow bugged out. After some patch I logged in and the entrance was no longer a cave in firebase zulu, but rather a truck in Atlas Park. I kept the mission just for the novelty of it.

Amusingly, my version of that mission switched locations twice after various patches.

I forget where the first change put it, but the final change opened the mission up in KR.

Regards,

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2013, 06:58:33 AM »
i remember when they added doors inside missions that you could click to open.
And outdoor mission maps that you entered by going to the tram station.
And capes. It was awesomeness when we could finally get capes.
And change the original costume to add said capes.

Although i must've played on the wrong servers because my bubbler never got kicked from a team for not being an empath. Although it wasn't until the respec trial was added that my bubbler became really, REALLY popular. (Also Energy Blasters really hated the Sky Raider FF Generators back when the different defense types stacked. "Uh, you need help hitting that thing, sport?")
So far so good. Onward and upward!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2013, 04:46:26 PM »
I remember when our characters, after we click on a door to a mission, would actually square and center ourselves off and then enter the door properly rather than go through it at whatever angle we were facing at the time.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

SirKittles

• Underling
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2013, 08:43:26 PM »
Lol. You think non-emp defenders got it bad? One of my characters was a grav/energy dominator, and my main was an ice/storm 'troller. "Oh, your main contribution to CC is completely nullified whenever someone casts an AoE root? Too bad!"

At least you guys were only bad in the public eye, I was pretty bad in general. :P
"What do you think, everyone?"