Author Topic: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....  (Read 60702 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »
Remember the Hunt 10 CoT in KR back when they were out only at night on rooftops?
Oh, wow.  I'd forgotten about that.  Very painful.

Remember the Winter Lord fiasco? Oh man, the sheer hordes of people in KR.
Heh.  "Sn00bs."

Ah yes, AE and City of Instant 50s and the Positron rant.
And level 50's asking, "Is that near Atlas?"

-katana and BS having the exact same animations
And the same names.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 01:18:33 AM »
Most of these I only know by reputation. The first time I stepped off the tram into the city was a couple months before Architect launched. But I do remember when Kheldians could only be unlocked by getting another hero to level 50 first, and Soldiers by getting a villain to 50. I was always happy I did that one "the hard way". Well the Khelds anyway... I only got Soldiers when Freedom launched and I had enough vet rewards, heh. The red side of the force is not strong with this one.

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2013, 01:23:02 AM »
Oh, wow.  I'd forgotten about that.  Very painful.

It taught a valuable lesson, though... How to use nothing but jumping to get to the top of just about any structure that had a textured surface. That skill served me well in other places in the game. ('Didn't work worth a darn in the new Altas Park or in Praetoria, though. I learned pretty quickly that those buildings didn't have the little modeled ledges and window-frames that made "jump-climbing" in places like Kings possible. XP)
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 01:32:48 AM »
It taught a valuable lesson, though... How to use nothing but jumping to get to the top of just about any structure that had a textured surface. That skill served me well in other places in the game.
Oh, the jumping I never had any issues with.  I hated waiting for night.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 02:11:49 AM »
I could never do wall jumping well.  At best, I'd get up half way and then kept bouncing my head on something.  I used the fire escapes instead. 

There were also the hunts for COT and Tsoo in Dark Astoria.  I haven't done the Talos and IP contacts in a long time, so I don't know if those were still around in the mission offerings. 
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 05:44:04 AM »
-lining up at the entrance of Perez Park and waiting for your turn to get into a street sweep group
-...Street sweeping at all, really.

Trying to find a group to street sweep in Perez because The Hollows didn't exist yet and no one took hover to be able to hunt CoT in King's Row because it was so slow...

Seeing Kheldians on the test server before they hit live and thinking how awesome they were.

Finally unlocking Kheldians at Level 50, after a year of playing and grinding, and thinking they were better than you hoped.

Rushing into a mob of Hellions in Atlas and finding out the hard way about Voids and Quantums... Later on in a TF you and your team get educated on Cyst Crystals...

Realizing the Devs hate Kheldians...

Remembering it took a year of hard work, painful "defeat all" missions, endless street hunting, and excruciating grinding for your first 50, then you watch 2 hour old characters hit that same level by simply chatting by a door and eating a sandwich...

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 08:21:39 AM »
I remember when having "bubbles" in my search comment would guarantee an invite would roll in shortly, without having to join various chat channels or otherwise seek out a team.

I remember when I could while away the time flying around the Hollows dispensing bubbles to the throngs of needy lowbies.

I remember when this game was being hyped as allowing you to freely select powers and the disappointment that came later.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2013, 02:53:48 PM »
I remember when this game was being hyped as allowing you to freely select powers and the disappointment that came later.
I remember people remembering /Super Strength Blasters, and the brokenness of Rage on blasters.
Yeeessss....

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 03:05:18 PM »
I remember the "Taxis" on Infinity.  It was great.  Each one would have a spot and they would take you for a tour of the Hollows, giving you the history and then you would be tp'd to the next one.  That was one of many great memories.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 03:52:05 PM »
Another one I just remembered.

The game was a few months old still and there was an interview with the Dev team at the time and they swore what would make COH different from all the other MMO's were two things they would never, EVER have in the game -  PvP and Crafting.

Well you see how long that lasted.

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2013, 04:31:11 PM »

-6 slotting crane kick with knockback, popping vanguard medal, hitting a level 1 hellion clear across the entirety of atlas park

Used to love doing this with Knockout Blow on my Inv/SS tank.  You could go out and have a sandwich and come back before they landed.

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »

The game was a few months old still and there was an interview with the Dev team at the time and they swore what would make COH different from all the other MMO's were two things they would never, EVER have in the game -  PvP and Crafting.

Wow if that's the case then I think you either caught some Dev lying or being totally clueless! Remember they had pretty much already started working on CoV by the time CoH launched in April 2004 and a fundamental part of CoV was going to be the whole PvP base raiding feature (which ultimately didn't work out anyway).  This leads me to think that PvP and base crafting were things the Devs had intended to support for a very long time in their early planning.
CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2013, 06:38:48 PM »
Wow if that's the case then I think you either caught some Dev lying or being totally clueless! Remember they had pretty much already started working on CoV by the time CoH launched in April 2004 and a fundamental part of CoV was going to be the whole PvP base raiding feature (which ultimately didn't work out anyway).  This leads me to think that PvP and base crafting were things the Devs had intended to support for a very long time in their early planning.

I was in COV beta. That was fun. When it went live I did a few base raids. Was actually kinda fun. The best thing that happened was I had an energy corrupter. Most of my team were standing around me fighting the good guys. I went and popped a bunch of reds and hit my Nova power. I hadn't noticed in the fighting but someone on the other team had confused me and I ended up taking out my teammates when the power went off.   ;D

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2013, 06:45:30 PM »

In cox never hardly ever meant never. At one point four legged creatures was a never. Lo and behold we eventually had demons lions wolves and a german shepard pet I think a panther emote too.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2013, 06:59:25 PM »
I was in COV beta. That was fun. When it went live I did a few base raids. Was actually kinda fun. The best thing that happened was I had an energy corrupter. Most of my team were standing around me fighting the good guys. I went and popped a bunch of reds and hit my Nova power. I hadn't noticed in the fighting but someone on the other team had confused me and I ended up taking out my teammates when the power went off.   ;D

That reminds me of the guy that got banned(a temp one, I think) for getting intentionally getting confused in Warburg then rushing to Atlas to Nova a whole group of low level players who were unfortunate enough to have been under the statue...

Not long after I believe was when the Devs added toggle/buff/debuff dropping between PvP and PvE zones, which bugged out and happened regardless of what zone/mission you were entering/exiting for a while...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2013, 07:07:14 PM »
That reminds me of the guy that got banned(a temp one, I think) for getting intentionally getting confused in Warburg then rushing to Atlas to Nova a whole group of low level players who were unfortunate enough to have been under the statue...

Not long after I believe was when the Devs added toggle/buff/debuff dropping between PvP and PvE zones, which bugged out and happened regardless of what zone/mission you were entering/exiting for a while...
Heard about that incident or one like it. Smh. People will do stuff like that merely because they can to get in people nerves for their own sense of morbid humor at expense of others.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2013, 07:47:11 PM »
At one point four legged creatures was a never. Lo and behold we eventually had demons [...]

Yeah, them bipedal demons really did a great job of showing off the four-legged animation rig. (-:

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »
In cox never hardly ever meant never. At one point four legged creatures was a never. Lo and behold we eventually had demons lions wolves and a german shepard pet I think a panther emote too.

The panther wasn't just an emote, it also had a full-on stealth power. Not a bad one, either. I used that sucker to get the exploration badges in the new DA on a level 6 ;D

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2013, 09:12:33 PM »
I remember Tyrant ranting about a seagull being on his throne.

I remember before the Invention system, when Inf was a lot harder to come by.

I remember when willpower was RL-only (for not having to take a bio break during the final mission of a TF, etc).

I remember when blasters only did more dmg if they were low on health.

I remember when CoV did NOT include CoH.

... why is it so hard not to cry...?   :'(

Ashen Fury

• Boss
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »

I remember when CoV did NOT include CoH.

I liked that depending on which icon you hit(coh or cov), you'd get either he blue or the red loading bar, then a different title screen and char creator/login screen. it was cool to pick.
Permanently Scrapperlocked.

Love CoH music? Want EVERY SINGLE FILE?
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html