Author Topic: e-book cover artist advice?  (Read 1947 times)

lobster

• Underling
e-book cover artist advice?
« on: March 16, 2013, 01:42:27 AM »
I don't suppose anyone is familiar with the deviartartverse (and anywhere else that might be relevant) and commissions? Any input would be appreciated!

I'm looking for someone to do a cover for an ebook in a vaguely pulp-noir-ISH-comicbook-ISH style (in the sense that someone that was good at CoH character commissions might work) and I'm totally at loss on where to start.  Currently just surfing around the net and deviantart at random.

I've been working on some books off and on for years (as some of the Pinnacle crowd might vaguely recall) and, after a year or so of querying, finally decided to abandon the traditional publishing route with my first book.  I'd rather 10 people read it than none.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: e-book cover artist advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 04:53:30 PM »
I self-published my first book just this past October, and for my book's cover, I ended up creating the cover art myself. It helps that I'm an artist, but I'm not that great with polished illustrations, so my cover might seem poorly done to some...

I agree with your mentality about "better ten read it than none", which is why I went independent. I don't have an ebook yet, just a physical print, but the physical prints are pretty pricey for an average sized novel with the online publisher I used(Lulu.com), so the books have to be pretty pricey for you to get any money from it... So far I've only sold 3 copies, but that's due to poor marketing strategies...

lobster

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:25:42 PM »
Congrats :)

I would look into e-publishing - at least with Amazon I think it's pretty much free (see https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin).

Sadly I'm even worse at visual arts than I was at playing a blaster pre-50.  I mean like, I have a hard time making stick figures look good.  But I want the cover to actually look attractive, so I think I'm committed to spending a little money on getting a nice one.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »

lobster

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 01:14:06 AM »
Thanks - your stuff looks way better than anything I could cobble together, but none of it really fits any of the potential "feels" I'm going for.  I have a couple ideas and I'm just digging around now to see if I can find a style that clicks with any of them.

I've been reading up a lot on the kindle stuff and e-publishing lately.  It feels/sounds like the wave has finally hit the shore.   

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 11:40:29 PM »
Responding because I have some feedback but cannot go into detail right now.  So I don't forget... OP, send me a message.  I have worked with a few cover artists and do cover layouts and stuff myself.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.