Author Topic: so I'm moving to World of Warcraft.  (Read 6113 times)

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
so I'm moving to World of Warcraft.
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »
It been a long time sence I been in World of Warcraft.  I been playing Champions after the shutdown but... it's not grabbing me as I hoped.

I remember having a blast on my Troll and rping a fortune teller reading bones.  So on the 15th I'm going to start my sub back up.  Now here the question... where should I go what server?

How many of us are playing Wow?  I kind of hope to be able to join a group right away and get some aid in leveling up and having fun RPing once again.  Or as my troll would say "I be reading da bones for ya for free mon."
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
Re: so I'm moving to World of Warcraft.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »
Well, I haven't played in almost two years so my info may be out of date, but it's my understanding that many role players tended to congregate on Moon Guard (avoid Goldshire, unless you're looking for the sort of roleplaying that lacks armor...) and Wyrmrest Accord. While not a roleplayer myself, I used to play on Moon Guard and it seemed most roleplayers favored the Stormwind Cathedral district, Silvermoon, and a tavern in the back of Orgrimmar.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »
Your character date should still be there, particularly if it's "only" been a couple of years. When you reinstall (or otherwise get to the server list), your character counts should be there, so just hop back onto one of the existing characters. Assuming you can recall or recover the login info. Their customer service blows when it comes to password recovery, IMHO.

With Cataclysm, you get more "day job" options, like archeology and a couple of others. I have been thinking about getting another 60 day card, myself, but I haven't been able to convince myself that I need to buy Cataclysm until I get more than one character above lvl60. My highest is in the mid thirties, and the next closest just got a mount, so I'm not in any danger of getting there, soon.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
I am playing WoW and loving it. I am a super casual player so the updates really change the whole game and make it accessible even at end-game. You can sign up for dungeons and raids via the LFG tool, so I can do my questing and farming and pokemans stuff while I wait for the game to make me a group from all players online. :) You even get currency for REALLY GOOD gear by doing some quests (mostly daily faction stuff) so even without a whole bunch of raiding and dungeons, I am wearing all purple gear except two pieces, and those two pieces I'm just waiting for a couple thousand more of the currency. You get 5 valor points per daily quest (and there are a metric poopton of dailies), 90 for per individual raid per week (45 per raid after that), 40 for one heroic dungeon a day (20 per dungeon after that)...makes it fairly simple to get decent gear if you don't get drops from the raid/dungeon. The RNG hates me, so almost all of my gear is purchased. :p

Leveling up is a lot simpler these days, especially if you put yourself in LFG for a dungeon while you're questing. The lower-level dungeon stuff has been tweaked and re-tweaked and adjusted.

Can't help you at all with where you should go. I don't RP and I don't play Horde. :/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:06:23 PM by Aggelakis »
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Botzo

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
I still have a sub to WoW and play occasionally but personally I can't handle large amounts of it. Having to follow a rotation to a T isn't fun for me. But, it's a fun game if you find and play with people you know. Off topic, but have you tried Tera since it went free? For me I've found it a little closer to what CoH is (Annihilation of mass mobs and imposing bosses). It's worth a shot, but do beware it's a rather large download if you have a slow connection or data cap.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »
been playing off and on with WoW.   playing the WoW version of pokemon...

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 10:16:47 PM »
No I haven't tried Tera and I have thoughts of Neverwinter.

I should be on Moon Guard I had my troll there.  I check out tera Free to Play soon.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:21:44 AM »
I still have a sub to WoW and play occasionally but personally I can't handle large amounts of it. Having to follow a rotation to a T isn't fun for me.
I don't do any sort of rotation ("hit buttons when they're off cooldown" is pretty much my modus operandi) and I have no trouble whatsoever on any of my characters, even my end-game Ret Paladin. I use http://www.askmrrobot.com to tell me what I should be wearing and how I should be gemming/enchanting. I don't pay attention to that pancake, it's all just numbers to me. Tell me what I should wear, and I'll go get it. I can be having fun in the meantime.

But, it's a fun game if you find and play with people you know.
The same can be said about pretty much any game. There are tons of games out there that I kinda want to play, but I don't want to play any of them because I don't know anyone there. Even if I solo most of the time (which is true in almost every game I play), I still want there to be someone in chat that can respond to my idiocy (rolled [and won] disenchant for an item I should have needed on......... *FACEPALM*) and stupid jokes.

I will note that my guild is INCREDIBLY awesome. We have (somehow) one of the best tanks on our server (he has, multiple times, tanked endgame content through a disconnect/reconnect period). We have an amazing healer, and my husband is the source of an enormous amount of DPS. So it doesn't matter that I kind of lollygag around and do what I want, and have never really been very GOOD at the game. They are willing to drag me around on their coattails. :) The best kind of guild.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 03:29:41 AM »
I burnt out on WoW raiding back in Cata.

Also I remember optimal dps being less about strict rotations, and more about having a priority list of skills (based on self buffs they might give, procs you want to use, things that come off cooldown), combined with the most important thing being STAYING ALIVE. 

That said, for PUG dungeons, the number 1 cause of bad dps is not using your skills.  Seriously, I've seen people that have done nothing but autoattack.  And still manage to die, somehow.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 04:06:51 AM »
I never got to the point where I was raiding in WoW.  The first time I played it (which was near launch) I couldn't stick with my Tauren past level 14 or so.  I came back and gave it another shot when they gave me a free trial period for the Blood Elf and those... Tauren-like things that I suddenly can't recall the name of, and that time I was able to stick with it til about level 27 before it really started to drag for me (actually, I gave the Tauren another try, too, and was only able to stick with that character until level 14 - that starting area is terrible and just gets worse when compared to the two new-at-the-time starting areas I was playing through).

I did like my Hunter and its pet crab-thing for a bit, though.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 11:28:43 AM »
Okay I'm opening my sub again today.  I should be on Moon Guard still.  If I remember right...

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 01:03:25 PM »
Okay they changed a few things... er...maybe it's best I start a new character and learn the ropes all over again.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 01:45:04 PM »
WoW is pretty good game for a fantasy game. No wonder millions of people play it. It's good stuff.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 01:54:40 PM »
My highest character is a level 64 Rogue Troll (the big noses tusked things that this forum calls Unicorns!)  Thought he was more for just action and killing stuff then RP.  It been a few years so I'm rusty but I did have fun gaming WoW. 

But CoH was my true love and after a year or so of Wowing I returned to Paragon.  Sigh...

SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME DO NCSOFT!  YOU MADE ME INTO A TROLL!

Ad_Astra

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »
As far as WoW is concerned, my only character there is on Agyros (sp?) in a guild headed up by my husband's best friend - currently an almost level-40 Shaman.

Buuut,

I would certainly consider starting an alt on another server in order to hook up with City peeps, just let me know the server.

Dagnabbit, I really miss my stable of alts from Paragon/Rogue Isles. :(

shadeovblack

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 09:31:04 PM »
Looks like most people are on Moon Guard, so that's where I'll be heading. Now... Alliance, or Horde?

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 10:21:55 PM »
I'm on Moon Guard.  Instead of a druid I changed my mind and made my troll (mumbles about the censor making that unicorn)... into a Hunter.  Name is Tukalzul, but if we get enough together and you all want Alliance I be willing to start another alt.  Much more fun to run with friends.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »
So, a RL friend who plays gifted me a time card. I haven't spent much time on the lower level characters, yet, but my low 40s character is in the Plaguelands. I don't remember which side it was, but the General chat was full of whiners and unicorns. It wasn't really directed at anything in particular, except the occasional complaint about some change in the game, but it was really unfriendly.

Also, plaguehounds look like Ponies. Kind of.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 12:45:57 PM »
On moonguard we made a new channel for CoXers.  CohRefugees So far I only seen one other person.  Most of the time I just ignore the general channel.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 06:39:38 PM »
Hm. I might have to dust off my account for a month and see what's up. I might have a character or two on Moonguard already.

Stunrunner

• Minion
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 07:43:01 PM »
Happy to see CoXers in WoW.

Sad to see them on Moan Guard.  No love for Wyrmrest?

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 11:29:11 PM »
I just moved to Wyrmrest.  Seems the people I been having the most fun with and running into are from that server so I moved.  Is there a CoX channel on Wyrmrest?

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 12:06:51 AM »
Dammit, now I'm tempted to resub again. I was on Wyrmrest before I quit.

Stunrunner

• Minion
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 05:02:46 AM »
AW YISS.

If there's no channel on the Accordion, we should make one.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 01:43:13 PM »
Okay just made the CohRefugees Channel on Wyrmrest Accord server!

Character is Tukalzul Troll hunter.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
Is anyone on Greymane? I may have a character or two on another server, but I'd have to look. I'd be willing to come over to one of the listed servers, but I don't know that I'm invested enough in the game to stay on for long.

Surelle

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 10:50:08 PM »
Server alert:

I paid big money a year ago (after a several-years-long absence) to transfer my warlock main to Earthen Ring RP-PVE.  The server was phenomenal-- super nice people, an older crowd, nary a trace of the ignorant, illiterate "WoW kiddies" the game is so well known for....and then two months later, Blizzard instated "cross server zoning" and it all went to heck.

Now dweebs, jerks, and illiterate dps meter freaks have overrun the place, because a bunch of servers all share their zones with Earthen Ring's.  All the servers are like that, I presume in an attempt to revive some of the quieter areas in a game where everyone's a 90 these days....

It sucks though.  If you are going back under the 7-day free reactivation, then fine, check it out.  But I wouldn't pay good money for it, because chances are the RP-PVE servers are all cross-server zoned with idiot servers.  It totally changed Earthen Ring for the worse literally overnight, I'll tell you that.  My whole guild quit at once, including my daughter and I, and I haven't been back since.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 11:01:18 AM »
I tried to resub some time ago... but for the life of me, I couldn't remember ANY of my Logg-In informations :roll:
Frack It, there probably was a reason I let my sub end; even though I'd really like to make a Goblin Rogue and name him Snaptooth :P
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 02:18:13 PM »
... I'd really like to make a Goblin Rogue and name him Snaptooth :P

OK, why did I not think of this? I even made a gangly Rastafarian mage with a name riffing on Frostfire...