Author Topic: Need an Alternative...Miss the Game  (Read 1171 times)

Hazzard_County

• Underling
Need an Alternative...Miss the Game
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if anyone has found a good alternative to the game, as I've been going through COH withdrawls. I've subbed to DCUO and Champions Online- but I've only spent about 20 minutes on each. What I really missis the community, so between the 2 games I mentioned- can someone tell me which has a comparable community to COH? It sucks being the noob again, I feel like I'm learning to play all over again- haven't even made it out of either tutorials yet. If you've tried either, what's your opinion on them?

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
Re: Need an Alternative...Miss the Game
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 11:43:39 PM »
You might want to try The Secret World.  I know a good chunk of the community went there.

Another option is Star Trek.  Game play is kind of fun thought I just couldn't get into it.

On Champions you might want to join the chat channel CORP the rp community seems friendly I been having fun with the group.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Hazzard_County

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:42:00 AM »
Yeah I heard some people went to Star Trek, but I don't think the theme is up my alley.

Thanks for the channel for Champs...I was a little disappointed in the cartoonish look of the game till I figured out you could get rid of the silly looking black outline on everything, so I might give it another shot.

Secret World, now that's interesting. I never even heard of it, so I went on youtube and I got to say, I love the character customization. That was a big draw for me in COH, so finding that game might be the rare gem I was looking for, thank you! Do you play Secret World at all?

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 04:41:22 AM »
No me I'm hanging out in Champions.  It took some time, but I grown used to the look.  You can turn off the outline lines and change the graphic settings for a bit less cartoon flare.

Steelclaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 06:16:59 AM »
The main problem I've had in adjusting to life without CoH is that no game... NO GAME... allows me to RP in my head like CoH did. 

I've tried Diablo 3, DC Universe, Champions Online, Star Trek Online and even World of War Craft and every one of them makes me feel like I'm borrowing THEIR character to play their game with.  In CoH I would actually RP my characters' thoughts, snarks and actions in my head while I was playing the game.  They would make witty repartee with the bad guys.  Some of them would flirt outrageously with the female hostage they just rescued.  Each of them had different personalities and had individual LIVES inside my mind that came to light every time I played.

Since I haven't been able to find a game that emulates my CoH experience to my liking... well... I've cheated.

Uh... I've started a new Tournament in World of Warcraft.  With a spreadsheet and everything.  Buuuuuuut... what I'm doing is a little... different.  I took all my CoH characters... and gave them close alternatives to the races/classes of WoW.  But inside my head... the voices I'm giving them are their old CoH characters... playing WoW...

Something like this...

Lord Gravenheart:  "Well... this is certainly humiliating.  I was a dark force in the world.  My enemies trembled at the mere mention of my name.  As a Necromancer they knew I could not only kill them... I could raise them from death to serve me in horrid half-life.  Now, apparently I'm a Warlock... but an Undead one.  Have I mentioned before how much I utterly detest irony?"

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:20:17 AM »
I never once thought of playing a different MMO as if I were one of my CoH characters playing it. That would be interesting.

Otherwise, I've been hopping from FFXI, did a bit of CO, and now more or less waiting on FFXIV, where I might recreate one of my characters. Will have to see.
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 09:25:51 AM »
Me I'm going to open up my old World of Warcraft account.

Thought Champions is alright it's ... well it's just a game.  The Corp Community is friendly and inviting just haven't got emotionally connected to my characters or any RP I done.

Warcraft not much better but I did remember having fun playing a Troll Fortune teller reading fortunes for coin in the citys. 

Hazzard_County

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 09:48:18 AM »
Yeah, I know what you're saying...and "borrowing" a character is exactly how I feel playing other games. What I loved about COH was the ability to make exactly what you thought up in your head- in terms of looks and weapons. It was an "altitis" dream come true. Sure I had my main toons, but every once in a while I would make up a fun one.

I tried WoW years ago, but I just can't do it. That game requires too much dedication and I didn't go very far with it, found myself fishing for rare fish oil and skinning to sell things on the market- never did much play.

Looks like Champions will be a no-go. I have a decent system, tons of Ram- COH ran perfectly...but for whatever reason the FPS is horrible for Champs. I turned the graphics down to pretty much the equivalent of pen and paper "stick figures" and the lag is still terrible. It's pretty much un-playable, I can't handle the death by lag, it was pretty embarrassing.

Looks like I will try The Secret World, I'm downloading it now so I hope it ends up being the missing link I was looking for, thanks again for suggesting it.