Author Topic: Movie Quotes  (Read 211566 times)

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
Re: Movie Quotes
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2013, 04:56:19 PM »
Hi Kristoff!!!!  (Huggs back!!!)

And why don't you use Kristoff?  I know you as that anyway - lol.  But the reason I have scalebeast is my son first got the game and at one point we both had accounts and when he quit playing, I kept his going instead of mine.  I would rather go around as Heroette.  Can you change your global here?  I guess I can see if there is an option.

And oh yeah.  "Mary Poppins".

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2013, 07:30:02 PM »
Okay, I'll see if  the system will let me change my user name.  BTW, YOU got the last movie quote right, Heroette, but you didn't post one of your own, which means it's MY turn again to try to stump everyone (bwahaha!).  Now, let's see some new hands from those sitting in the back rows.  (Heroette, I know you'll get this one.)

HINT: this is from a 1960's Musical:

Cast off the shackles of yesterday!
Shoulder to shoulder into the fray!
Our daughters' daughters will adore us
And they'll sing in grateful chorus
"Well done, Sister Suffragette!"

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to correctly name the movie this is from.  Good luck!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2013, 07:42:57 PM »
Hi Kristoff!!!!  (Huggs back!!!)

And why don't you use Kristoff?  I know you as that anyway - lol.  But the reason I have scalebeast is my son first got the game and at one point we both had accounts and when he quit playing, I kept his going instead of mine.  I would rather go around as Heroette.  Can you change your global here?  I guess I can see if there is an option.

There may be a way to change it, but I just tried account and profile settings and it didn't look like there was an easy way for me to do this.  When I first started posting here I had @Kristoff von Gelmini as the tag line under my avatar/userpic but now it's a reference to a Boris Pasternak quote that suits me, only it's too many characters and I don't want to lose the one by Gandhi because that's one of my all-time fave quotes.  I guess @Kristoff will have to be my secret name, known but to a few confidantes; whereas, here and on CoH Faces my identity as John Robey is fairly well established.  Heck, I have a birth certificate and driver's license and everything that will attest to that being my name.  *Peels off rubber face mask to reveal that under the mask is actor Peter Graves or another of the IMF team!!*  Queue theme music:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWGeRgFa-hI   (Man, I really need to lighten up and try to get more serious about having fun!)  Hasta La Vista, Titans!!

*modified to clean up typos 'cause I had reason to re-read this thread.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:43:42 AM by johnrobey »
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2013, 08:09:33 PM »
Man, I guess I know only obvious ones.  Anyone else care to guess Kristoff's, I mean Johnrobey's.   :-*

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2013, 08:22:41 PM »
Man, I guess I know only obvious ones.  Anyone else care to guess Kristoff's, I mean Johnrobey's.   :-*
Hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee.   Thanks, Heroette!  I mean Scalebeast.   8)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »
HINT: this is from a 1960's Musical:

Cast off the shackles of yesterday!
Shoulder to shoulder into the fray!
Our daughters' daughters will adore us
And they'll sing in grateful chorus
"Well done, Sister Suffragette!"

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to correctly name the movie this is from.  Good luck!

But... but that mission is impossible!

I mean come on, I didn't even exist until the late '70s. And if we're talking about self-awareness and the ability to understand one's surroundings, then it's more like the late '90s at best.

*crosses his arms and sticks his bottom lip out far enough to trip over* So unfair. >:(

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2013, 09:48:36 PM »
But movies last forever.  Kinda.  It is possible you could have seen it.

And as a side note, I was alive during the 60's and have no idea what it is.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2013, 01:09:20 AM »
But movies last forever.  Kinda.  It is possible you could have seen it.

What, you mean they can be... recorded, somehow? Like on some kind of... cassette tape, but for pictures? Hmmm. *thinks about it for a bit*

...NAHHH, you're just pulling my leg now. But thanks for trying to make me feel better! :)

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2013, 02:36:04 AM »
Hey, I remember when you used to watch tv (with no cable of course), if you missed a show, you missed the show.  You could maybe watch it in reruns 6 months later but the season was already over and you watched all of the rest of the episodes.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2013, 05:25:37 AM »
Okay, here's another big (BIG) hint, since I was certain Heroette (who cleverly disguises herself as Scalebeast on Titan) would guess/know the answer to my movie quote, and Triplash, yeah, if you were born in the late 1970's I can imagine you might have either missed this film or else not have it locked into memory as I do.  (I tend to do better on trivia and mainstream cultural history from 1960-1990-ish since everything after 1995 for me is really modern even if that was nearly 20 years ago.)

Anyhow, the reason I remember this so vividly is that when I was a child of about 6 or 7 my parents took me to the moviehouse to see this highly political, yet at times tender, and in other parts highly satirical film, filled with social commentary, which comes out in the songs and sometimes the dances.  Yeah, I know, you're probably wondering what was wrong with my parents that they'd take a young kid like me to see such a film, but what can I say, they were the contemporaries of beatniks and hippies, even if that wasn't their lifestyle.  Given that to my amazement I've stumped two Titans, I'll give the answer but one of you shall have to come up with the next Movie quote since the next one I have in mind is even more challenging than this.

Here's the URL to the youtube video that contains the entire song these lyrics are from as well as some opening dialogue.  Enjoy!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvk1NZDFvZU&feature=relmfu  In fact, I'd recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen it in full.    ;D

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2013, 06:19:23 AM »
But... but that mission is impossible!

I mean come on, I didn't even exist until the late '70s. And if we're talking about self-awareness and the ability to understand one's surroundings, then it's more like the late '90s at best.

*crosses his arms and sticks his bottom lip out far enough to trip over* So unfair. >:(

What, you mean they can be... recorded, somehow? Like on some kind of... cassette tape, but for pictures? Hmmm. *thinks about it for a bit*

...NAHHH, you're just pulling my leg now. But thanks for trying to make me feel better! :)

Dear Triplash, just FYI, you're killing me!!!!  ROFLMAO!!!!!!    *thump*   *thud* 
Yeah, back when you were born we had these things called "8-tracks" and before that we had something called "reel to reel"-which was very like a cassette tape only much larger, like miniaturization in reverse.  Yeah, there's no point in trying to lie to you about VHS and beta since I can see you are savvy to us Old Folks.  By the way, have I shown you my collection of smoke and mirrors?  Here, let me conjure up for your entertainment the head of the Egyptian deity Anubis via hand shadow silhouette and perform Briana's immortal "Anubis approves.  Anubis disapproves.  Anubis blows chunks." routine.  Note: this is really amusing if one is in one's 20's and ideally has been up without sleep for a good long while such that with sleep deprivation the natural fatigue poisons are really coursing.  All Night Fandom rules!!!!!  Take back the night!!!! And make it Fun & Silly!!!!   ;D

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2013, 10:07:26 AM »
Yeah, back when you were born we had these things called "8-tracks"

*stares at the 8-track in a slack-jawed mixture of wonder and terror* It's... it's so old. *glances around nervously, scared a dinosaur is about to attack him and steal back its stuff*

I've heard a little bit about how things used to work back then. *turns the 8-track over and over in his hands, looking for something* Where do you shovel in the coal? ???

Given that to my amazement I've stumped two Titans, I'll give the answer but one of you shall have to come up with the next Movie quote since the next one I have in mind is even more challenging than this.

Don't be amazed that you stumped me. Really, don't. My ex once laughed at me for a good half hour straight because I didn't know what a hoodie was. :-\     (And I deserved it too... who doesn't know what a hoodie is?!? *headdesk*)

But, um, quote... hmmm. Think, think, think.   ... ... [Loading Thought: 42%] ... ...       *lightbulb* :o

"Ohhhhhhh... you've come to the right place, my boy. I am somewhat of an expert on the Southern Oracle. It's my scientific speciality."

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2013, 10:39:37 AM »
That one would be from Neverending Story.
My turn:
"...we'd like to shoot the monster. Could you move please?"
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2013, 03:02:41 PM »
*stares at the 8-track in a slack-jawed mixture of wonder and terror* It's... it's so old. *glances around nervously, scared a dinosaur is about to attack him and steal back its stuff*

I've heard a little bit about how things used to work back then. *turns the 8-track over and over in his hands, looking for something* Where do you shovel in the coal? ???

Don't be amazed that you stumped me. Really, don't. My ex once laughed at me for a good half hour straight because I didn't know what a hoodie was. :-\     (And I deserved it too... who doesn't know what a hoodie is?!? *headdesk*)

But, um, quote... hmmm. Think, think, think.   ... ... [Loading Thought: 42%] ... ...       *lightbulb* :o

"Ohhhhhhh... you've come to the right place, my boy. I am somewhat of an expert on the Southern Oracle. It's my scientific speciality."

ROFL!!!!!!!  Triplash, your online antics have me in stitches!   A friend, to her amazement, once had to explain to me the meaning of what "the wrong side of the (railroad) tracks" meant.  It's almost as if everyone over-generalized and expected others to know intuitively (by osmosis?) to know what they know.  Naw, kid, no reason to be afraid.  I've already wiped all the Mummy dust off that 8-track.  Just do us all a favor, and don't play it backwards -- it doesn't summon anything; it merely sounds awful!  Oh, and the coal goes in the back.  Thanks for asking!   ;)

As a complete non-sequitur, I keep hoping you'll treat us with more Internet quotes from Abraham Lincoln - honest Abe is another of my personal heroes (tho of course I share.)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2013, 03:10:20 PM »
My turn:
Totally guessing, would that be "Jurassic Park"?                *anticipates hearing the game show buzzer of Wrong Answer rather than the Ding, Ding, Ding bell of Correct.*

P.S. Nos482, I'm so old, I remember when to be "bad" meant to be extra kewl and even amazingly good!  And I'm talkin' 1990s stuff, not lovely ancient things such as this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msScft3g2Wc   (Warning:  This is from the Ancient Days of Yore before pixels had color.)

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2013, 01:58:38 AM »
My turn:
That would be from Ghostbusters 2.  How about this...
"I told the truth Lord. How can I learn any moral lessons if you keep confusing me like this?"
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2013, 03:18:20 AM »

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2013, 12:26:38 AM »
Could it be from that cool cat? (The Lion in Winter) lol

" Okay, fine. You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain. "
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2013, 02:13:47 AM »

"Okay, fine. You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
Yep, Healix, that was one of Geoffrey's lines from Lion in Winter.

Drat! I have no idea who said this nor what movie it's from.  Part of me wants to guess Sir Ian McKellan as Magneto, and probably in the 3rd movie so hmmmm
Could it be Watchmen?  I've only seen that a couple of times and can imagine this line coming from that film.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2013, 04:10:35 AM »

" Okay, fine. You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain. "

That is from "The Dark Knight".

Its late and I got to go to bed but I will try to think of another tomorrow.  Good Night All.