Author Topic: Robot Combat League  (Read 3614 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Robot Combat League
« on: February 21, 2013, 09:55:02 AM »
7 foot tall rock 'em sock 'em robots.  Telefactoring harness for upper body/arm control.  Hydraulic fluid everywhere.  Oh the unhumanity.  Catch the first episode online now.  Blastr article, Hulu feed (better looking than the stream off of Blastr but has commercials).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:00:20 AM by FatherXmas »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
Re: Robot Combat League
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »
I want those parts for the new game!

Oh look Real Steel in real life.  Better story line too lol.

Not sure some of the design choices for the Bots and would been more interesting if the team made or modified there own Bots for themselves.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »
I want those parts for the new game!

Oh look Real Steel in real life.  Better story line too lol.

Not sure some of the design choices for the Bots and would been more interesting if the team made or modified there own Bots for themselves.

True, this isn't Battlebots ... or Japan where humanoid robots, albeit smaller ones, are popular among hobbyists.  How many people have the skills or budget to build them.  Now if they had a basic kit a team could be given, 6 months and some guidelines about armor, weapons, weight limits, budget limits for add ons, etc. they could have padded the episodes out a bit with a piece on each bots construction. 

As it is right now we can only hope that they are roughly equivalent and it's up to the skill of the operators as to who wins.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:20:40 AM »
I agree I would have like to see a basic bot kit and have the teams Mod them, using guidelines.  Battlebots was more like Remote control Heavy Metal then Robots.  With the popularity of Chopper and Car building shows having bits of Robot construction/Modification in this show could pad it more.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 06:09:10 AM »

Yeah, that's what I was expecting, was teams who built their own bots. Of course, this now explains the prize. Ever since I first heard about this, I was thinking, "$100,000 won't even cover a fraction of the cost."

My review of the 1st episode...

Well, by the time round 2 started, I started feeling the adrenaline. Considering the reactions of all the teams, I don't know if everyone is going to call me crazy, but Crash was my favorite once they went through the roster. Not so much for the team (I felt so bad for the girl, it was like she'd never played a video game before in here life), but that roll cage looked to me like the best armor for the task these robots were built for.

That said, I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist when it comes to media, ESPECIALLY when it comes to reality shows. I have my doubts about this not being 'scripted'. Considering the team that qualified in last place wound up with what to me seems like the robot that had the best defensive capabilities, that seems a little too convenient. But what really has me wondering is the sparks. I've seen metal clash plenty of times, and the hits that were making the sparks, shouldn't have caused that much. MAYBE if they were hitting something vital, but that didn't seem to be the case. This is leading me to believe that there's pyrotechnics on the robots, and they're rigged to go off at the appropriate time.

Granted, that doesn't really mean its fake. It could just be what they decided to use as a visual trigger to signify a hit worth a lot of points. Like... the judges have remote controls, and when a solid hit is scored, they hit a button to trigger the flare, instead of waving a flag like you'd see in a Karate match.

But I'm not completely turned off by it if it's pre-planned. Either way, it still looks frigging cool.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 12:49:14 PM »
WWE more or less Scripted could be the same here I agree.

Not sure really given chance of breakage of the bots at wrong times.  As for the sparks yeah I had doubt about those too.  Me I think it's more pressure triggers in the bot.  Say X amount of force is applied to Y area the force is registered and then triggered the flair.  Could also work for the Judges for them to rank how strong a blow is. 

Still a very interesting display of technology. 

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
If you haven't watched the 1st episode, it's on tonight at 10p EST on SyFy.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »
Thanks for posting this FatherXmas, this show is awesome lol.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 11:41:47 AM »
I'm still recovering from "George Lucas's daughter is a professional MMA fighter."
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 04:17:24 PM »
Whoa, it's been some time since I've been grinning for most of a show ;D
My favourite so far; Commander.
Love the military look and the team doesn't seem too bad either.

If you haven't watched the 1st episode, it's on tonight at 10p EST on SyFy.
It's also up on youtube... ya know, for those who can't use the other streams. Or get syfy, for that matter.

I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »
OMG!

Brimstone all the way.  It's looks too much like the Juggernaut for me to even consider another robot.