Author Topic: New Batman -- Arkham announced.  (Read 3930 times)

Colette

• Elite Boss
New Batman -- Arkham announced.
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:54:21 AM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/new-batman-arkham-game-coming-this-year
                                                                   | |
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-NA! Batmaaan!  :D

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
Re: New Batman -- Arkham announced.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »
If this is a PS4 or next Xbox exclusive it may get me to buy one of those consoles, the idea of a silver age Arkham game featuring Justice Society / League characters is...too much awesome.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 04:43:49 PM »
and I will continue to do what I've been doing, which is buy the GOTY :D I just started playing Arkham city last week :D

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:52:03 AM »
If this is a PS4 or next Xbox exclusive it may get me to buy one of those consoles, the idea of a silver age Arkham game featuring Justice Society / League characters is...too much awesome.

Is there a reason this one is suspected to be a console exclusive?

It better &@^#ing not be.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 03:18:36 AM »
Is there a reason this one is suspected to be a console exclusive?

It better &@^#ing not be.

Haven't you heard?  PC gaming is dead.  :roll:
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »
News to me. Funny since the PS4 will be a "PC"

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 10:34:59 AM »
Is anyone else amused that PC gaming is repeatedly declared dead, but with each successive generation of consoles the consoles become more and more like PCs? Makes me wonder if we'll get to a point where the distinction between the two vanishes entirely and the same games become playable on both without any need to port them one way or the other.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »
Well all of the devices we use will eventually be merged into a single device.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 11:33:03 PM »
Is anyone else amused that PC gaming is repeatedly declared dead, but with each successive generation of consoles the consoles become more and more like PCs? Makes me wonder if we'll get to a point where the distinction between the two vanishes entirely and the same games become playable on both without any need to port them one way or the other.

The trouble with PC's is (sadly) the lack of anything proprietary. The old IBM PC-compatible thing seemed great to everyone at the time, and gave developers (hardware and software) and home computer users a type of freedom they couldn't have imagined before.

But the drawback is there is no "PC company" out there pushing to give PC's an equal share of the gaming market. Any company can build PC's, which means the payout is considerably less for any company to push PC gaming when compared to the Playstation. If Sony gets an exclusive game, they get to reap all of the rewards. If a PC company does that, they would be sharing the rewards with 100's of others. So the way I see it, console makers have reasons to pull people away from the PC, but there's little incentive for any PC company to do the opposite.

Microsoft could have become a company that could push PC-exclusives, but they took the easy way out and made their own console.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:27:49 AM »
That's actually a really good point.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 02:32:30 AM »
Two words.  Steam box.  A PC with a publicly known fixed spec tied to Steam.  If Steam provided recommended settings for both a 1080 and 720 HDTV setting then POOF, a PC console.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 06:22:43 AM »
The trouble with PC's is (sadly) the lack of anything proprietary. The old IBM PC-compatible thing seemed great to everyone at the time, and gave developers (hardware and software) and home computer users a type of freedom they couldn't have imagined before.

But the drawback is there is no "PC company" out there pushing to give PC's an equal share of the gaming market. Any company can build PC's, which means the payout is considerably less for any company to push PC gaming when compared to the Playstation. If Sony gets an exclusive game, they get to reap all of the rewards. If a PC company does that, they would be sharing the rewards with 100's of others. So the way I see it, console makers have reasons to pull people away from the PC, but there's little incentive for any PC company to do the opposite.

Microsoft could have become a company that could push PC-exclusives, but they took the easy way out and made their own console.

All true, but my understanding has always been that it's not the companies pushing for PC games to be made, but PC Gamers who have been making companies willing to go that route because we give them money without extra proprietary costs up front for producing the game on our "system". Making a game for the PS3, 360, or Wii/WiiU costs a lot of money to get the rights/tools to do it, but PC development is largely on the cheaper/freer side.

Mostly, developers go where the money is, but the problem with PC games getting the attention they deserve is that too many people are convinced that the only good options for video games are in consoles, and by extension, cookie cutter clone games of the same rehashed ideas over and over with different skins/retooled weapons, such as Call of Duty or Call of Duty in Space(AKA Halo). Never mind that in large part, such FPS games are in fact easier to play on a PC with a mouse/keyboard than with a clumsy set of joysticks on a console. But most gamers are addicted to their controllers from years of being told by Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and more recently, Microsoft, that that's how games are suppose to be played.

This gets compounded even worse by the fact that a lot of gamers, while claiming to be computer literate, actually don't know what makes a good gaming computer to begin with, so they settle for buying a console so they don't have to think about it because they think it's "cheaper". A relative term, considering a Console's average lifespan usually is about 3-5 years(this latest generation being a few years longer than the average, mostly because of "mini-improvements" and "slim versions!" of the same consoles), but a PC can sometimes last longer than that simply because of the ability to be upgraded with more RAM and new video cards, a feature most consoles lack(save maybe Memory Expansion Slots in a few select consoles).

Simply put, PCs keep up with gaming technology pretty efficiently(sometimes even staying ahead of the curve before games actually get there), but consoles are almost always constantly playing catch-up.

Edit: Sorry for the lengthy post... My response was much smaller in my head when I first thought it...

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »
It should also be noted that to play last generation's console games, you almost always need last generation's console. To play last generation's PC games, you just install them and go. I can play games up to 20 years old on my modern gaming PC if I so desire, admittedly with the additional requirement of an emulator sometimes but I can. How many consoles can you say that about?

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 09:38:12 AM »
Two words.  Steam box.  A PC with a publicly known fixed spec tied to Steam.  If Steam provided recommended settings for both a 1080 and 720 HDTV setting then POOF, a PC console.

This is something I have been thinking about quite a bit.  My Xbox 360 can surf the web and play games...why is there no company out there that can add, say Office and Adobe too?  My point is that consoles are great at only one thing- gaming.  To have the same graphics quality in a PC you would be spending 2-3 times as much.  $250 for the xbox and it has 250gb of space.  Mind is wandering being that it is 4:37am here.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...