Author Topic: WildStar Online  (Read 56484 times)

Feycat

• Lieutenant
Re: WildStar Online
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 12:55:54 AM »
You know, I can't help but wonder how much better a lot of MMOs these days would do if people didn't wait three months or more to see how it goes. Not that I'm suggesting you don't, as I plan to do the same thing especially with this case. But I still can't help but wonder if the loads of people I keep seeing saying they'll wait on any new MMO coming out is a significant enough impact to initial sales to convince some companies it isn't worth it, leading to what we saw with TOR, for example, where post-release support just drops away almost completely.

I was in SWTOR and TSW for launch. SWTOR was *awful* - and I couldn't get past the crappy look of TSW, though the gameplay was okay. The reason support dropped away from TOR almost completely was because very few people who bought the game stayed around past the first free month. It was BAD.

I think MMOs would do better if they wouldn't release buggy, unready, content-less piece-of-crap beta versions of their game and rely on the box sales to invest people enough to wait until it's actually fixed enough to be playable.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »
Nice housing.

Sheesh... the closest thing to SWG that will probably ever happen and it ends up being a frigging NCsoft game. Figures.
I haven't tried it personally, but it seems very similar to the "personal dimensions" that RIFT introduced with Storm Legion.
Unless you really want Sci-Fi, you might want to check that out - providing it's housing that you are after, Tim.
Not to mention, from what I've seen Trion is a company far more deserving of your money than NCSoft has proven itself to be...

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »
Here's a link to a video showing off the dimensions.
Rift Dimensions

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 02:06:33 PM »
<- moderator hat

As with other threads dedicated to discussing games NCsoft is involved with, please allow those who would like to discuss the game itself to do so without being derailed by anti-NCsoft posts.  Let's allow them to have these discussions in peace.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 02:30:01 PM »
<- moderator hat

As with other threads dedicated to discussing games NCsoft is involved with, please allow those who would like to discuss the game itself to do so without being derailed by anti-NCsoft posts.  Let's allow them to have these discussions in peace.
That's one fine hat, EAbrace! It looks so soft and fluffy, but the horns add masculinity!
Also, what constitutes as Anti-NCSoft? So I know what to avoid next time.
"NCSoft made it, so I won't touch it" or more along the along the lines of "Shame on you for touching one of their games! Repent sinner, your eternal soul is at stake here!!!" ?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 02:37:54 PM »
mod hat still on

Also, what constitutes as Anti-NCSoft? So I know what to avoid next time.
"NCSoft made it, so I won't touch it" or more along the along the lines of "Shame on you for touching one of their games! Repent sinner, your eternal soul is at stake here!!!" ?

Without quoting the actual post I removed (the object here is not to drag anyone in particular out into the light for public shaming):
* Posting things like "I'm really not interested in the game based on gameplay footage I've seen" or "I don't really like the controls" are fine.  Those are about the game itself and entirely within the bounds of the conversation here.
* Posting thing like "No.  NCsoft is involved and we are at war with them.  I will never touch another NCsoft title as long as I live" are out of bounds.  There are plenty of other places on these forums to discuss how much we hate NCsoft.

The easiest way to avoid having someone report a post for moderation would just be to leave NCsoft out of the discussion altogether.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 03:48:42 PM »
Gotcha! I will avoid mentioning them.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 08:41:20 PM »
I think I'm on the fence... not sure though. It sounds fun. I like the housing. I like 2 of the classes the trailer showed anyhow. And that crackpot alien who is doing the advertising is a hoot.

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »
I've been looking forward to this game since the first trailer, and I still plan to get it when it comes out... probably.  I just hope it actually does, and lasts for a while.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »
I read in another forum that NCsoft is in the process of re-purposing the CoH servers for Wildstar,  :-[ that stung. I still think Wildstar looks fun and I'll give it a shot, but the thought that I might be playing on the old Virtue or Victory server will haunt me.

"Oh, thanks for getting over that whole CoH closure thing, that's very mature of you, enjoy Wildstar. Careful not to trip over the re-purposed remains of your beloved game while you're here, we're remodeling!"

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »
Wildstar using the servers is just a business move to not have hardware laying around.  The IP is where it is at for us.  If another company is able to purchase CoH from NC Soft, the servers would probably not go with the sale anyway.  If NC Soft was shutting it's doors and selling off everything, then maybe. 

I do feel the sting of what I considered "OUR" servers being re-used, but I knew they would not be CoH servers again.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 01:34:54 PM »
Wildstar using the servers is just a business move to not have hardware laying around.  The IP is where it is at for us.  If another company is able to purchase CoH from NC Soft, the servers would probably not go with the sale anyway.  If NC Soft was shutting it's doors and selling off everything, then maybe. 

I do feel the sting of what I considered "OUR" servers being re-used, but I knew they would not be CoH servers again.

Oh yeah, it's purely sentimental, CoH isn't those servers, but the fact that it once existed inside those servers was the silly and sad part of the whole story for me.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »
I read in another forum that NCsoft is in the process of re-purposing the CoH servers for Wildstar,  :-[ that stung. I still think Wildstar looks fun and I'll give it a shot, but the thought that I might be playing on the old Virtue or Victory server will haunt me.

"Oh, thanks for getting over that whole CoH closure thing, that's very mature of you, enjoy Wildstar. Careful not to trip over the re-purposed remains of your beloved game while you're here, we're remodeling!"

The servers were probably Virtual Machines run on a server farm somewhere.  When the COH servers were spun down the VMs for them were likely copied to a backup, and then removed from the VM hosts.  Those VM hosts could be used to run pretty much anything, and not just game servers.  So yeah, they likely have been "re-purposed", but that's the nature of a virtual machine environment.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 11:09:02 AM »
I remember being so enthusiastic about the game when the trailer came out. I signed up for the Beta... what... a year ago or more?

Now watching it just makes me sad. I just can't find any enthusiasm for this at all. It's obvious that the creative people at Carbine have put a lot of work into this game and the concept. It's obvious they're having fun with it.

It's ironic that the latest trailer is talking about housing. Oh that stings. Yes, invest in the game, build homes for your characters! Get emotionally involved!

Yeah...

Build a character, get emotionally involved! Build housing (bases) and get emotionally involved with that, too! Get invested in this wonderful world we've created here!

Let's not mention the GIANT FREAKING SWORD OF DAMOCLES hanging over all of this.

I don't even have to mention a name. You know what and who I'm talking about.

If Carbine and Arenanet find ways out of their contracts and find a way to publish on their own or via another publisher? Then my enthusiasm will return. But until then. I wish them the best of luck.

They're going to need it.

Karasu

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 03:24:24 AM »
I find myself agreeing with Atlantea. I just today decided to finally look into wildstar, and i love the concept, the art, the combat style, and the idea of housing, but unless Carbine has an escape clause somewhere in their contract....i can't in good conscience invest in them, what with the evil-overlords waiting in the wings.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 01:52:31 AM »
<- mod hat

Just a quick note:  It was nice not seeing any moderator reports for anti-NCsoft chatter in here for a while.  And it doesn't look like anyone has blatantly gone off into the weeds lately, but we seem to be slowly steering back in that direction.  Let's not do that.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 02:59:11 AM »
The problem eabrace is that some of us feel this is a bait thread. Just my .02 inf.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 03:03:58 AM »
The problem eabrace is that some of us feel this is a bait thread. Just my .02 inf.
It's pretty easy not to take the bait. Talk positively about it and there's nothing to worry about.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 05:53:42 AM »
I watched the trailer vid on the website and I do find it quite funny.  The style seems to be like many other MMOs out now, with the exception of the end game they mention.  If it's true what they say about end game contant, it could be a step above MMOs like Swtor or DCUO.  I just do like to hit the max level and then run grind after grind.  So many of the MMOs seem to have a mind set of "you are max level, we will place you in the max level bucket".  CoH and CoV made sure we had more post level 50 content (zones/missions etc...) than any others I saw.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

zaprobo

• Minion
    • Journal of a Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 06:24:06 PM »

I am really sorry that people feel that way - as a long term CoH player (do I need to list my credentials?) I actually find a lot of the features of WildStar appealing and genuinely believe that at least some CoHers could find a new home there.

That said, if the thread is causing too much disruption then I'm happy for the moderators to nuke it from orbit. Their call, I'll support either way.