Author Topic: Looking for my Controller fix  (Read 2237 times)

fearalice

• Underling
Looking for my Controller fix
« on: June 30, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »
Hey everyone. Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong section. Couldn't decide if it was more at home in general, CoH discussion, or here.

I am looking far and wide for my controller fix. By that i mean (and i'm sure every controller/dominator out there already knows) that i cannot find a single game out there in the vast expanse of the internet that allows me to apply crowd control to a giant mob like it's my job. Let's take CO for example. You cannot make a CC based character in there because their immunity system is out of control (see what i did there?). It's actually so bad that taking even a single CC ability sets you at the "i'm good" level of need. Anything more than one is just stepping on your own toes. Guild Wars 2 i think has at most one or two seconds of lockdown, and even then there are plenty that are immune to it.

No, what i need is the ability to look at a crowd of 10+ enemies and say "You all get to sit here and watch me or my friends kill you", and if my job is done properly the team knows it. Not something like "Hey, i think i saw a stun this fight, awesome!". Some of my greatest memories in MMO history were with controllers. Every team knew a good one when they showed up. Hell, with my dominator i mind controlled (confused) Dr. Quatrexin in the black scorpion quest line. It took domination and a huge amount of applications, but once it happened me and my friend were amazed. I only tried it cause i wanted to see if i could. Once it did break (missed applications) we got the floor wiped with us, but it was a success to me. That and my plant/emp controller was just unfair. I need that back, and no game out there that i know of can give it to me. I am hoping someone here knows where i can get my fix.

Exxar

• Lieutenant
Re: Looking for my Controller fix
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 03:18:36 PM »
No other game has controls like CoH, not even close. Sorry. The way I figure it, MMOs avoid such strong controls simply because they're annoying in PvP and they don't like doing different rulesets for PvP. The other factor is probably inertia - noone is making games with such strong controls since they didn't have prior inspiration (playing CoH haha).

The game with the "strongest" and most abundant controls I've seen after CoH is DCUO. Some powersets actually give you a Controller role (the others are Tank and Healer, and everyone also has Damage). While there are a fair number of hard controls, there aren't any that disable mobs for more than a couple seconds, but you can actually stun a lot of mobs at once for fragments of a second in quick succession, effectively "stun-locking" them. In other games I've played, there are no multi-target controls that you can spam at all, period. But I don't know how effective these stun-locks, as well as the various hard controls, are in end-game team content. I never got there myself. Anyway, controls in DCUO pale in comparison to CoH, but other games are much much worse still.

It's not just that games don't do controls like in CoH, they don't even do buffs or debuffs on a widespread scale, and I miss those even more.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 03:55:51 PM »
Yeah.  Unfortunately, there's a reason that "Healer" is the third leg of the Holy Trinity rather than "Support": most games don't do Support well.  CoH was unique in having healing as simply one Support tool among many, along with strong and long-lasting buffs, debuffs, and controls, rather than healing being the only Support tool.

Another reason that I miss CoH.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »
Another way COH was different and head of its time. one of my favourite tricks was to grab an embalmed and turn it back on its ken. But why would MMO audience want that when they can teabag all the time the way the good god wowcrack taught us?  :roll:
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

fearalice

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 02:09:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Very very sad to hear that. You would think someone somewhere would realize that support is a much better third section to the trinity than just healing. Control so no one gets hit, healing to recover from damage, defensive buffs to mitigate damage enough to not need healing, or massive offensive buffs enough that everything dies before a healer needs calling is a much wider range and thus interesting playstyles for all. Not to diss healers, but controlling in my opinion is more fun. Or at least coming up with interesting unintended alternatives. Ah well... Hopefully one of these plan Z alternatives ends up realizing this and gives me my controllers back.

On the topic of DCUO, i played it for a little while. Something about it didn't really grab me. Maybe i was doing the controlling wrong, maybe it really was too little. But it just felt like you either play this class this way using these abilities or you are doing it wrong and will be punished. Didn't feel like i had much room to personalize a build. Or maybe i am remembering it wrong, it was a bit ago. One thing is for sure, i was strongly deterred from playing the game when i read into it and it looks like nearly half of the power sets are purchase only. That makes me sadface pretty hard.

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 06:46:08 PM »
May be worth trying Dungeons and Dragons Online. Bards are pretty good in terms of control with charms, sleeps, Holds etc and a ton of heavy duty long lasting buffs. The mage classes also get holds, charms sleeps etc (The holds are in some respects stronger than in COH as you auto crit anything thats held). Obviously it's reliant on liking the actual game and that may be an issue but I spent a lot of time in DDO and it is a fun game

Dirges and Troubadors in EQ2 are more buff focused than control focused with some healing on the side, but are definitely fun.

fearalice

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 10:29:11 PM »
May be worth trying Dungeons and Dragons Online. Bards are pretty good in terms of control with charms, sleeps, Holds etc and a ton of heavy duty long lasting buffs. The mage classes also get holds, charms sleeps etc (The holds are in some respects stronger than in COH as you auto crit anything thats held). Obviously it's reliant on liking the actual game and that may be an issue but I spent a lot of time in DDO and it is a fun game

Dirges and Troubadors in EQ2 are more buff focused than control focused with some healing on the side, but are definitely fun.

DDO i had some fun with. There is some control potential there, but i didn't get very far with it to see for sure. EQ2 i played a coercer, and was pretty sad with how short lived and easily broken all the CC was. Thanks for the suggestions though.