Author Topic: Project Awakened  (Read 15919 times)

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
Project Awakened
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:54:33 PM »
So, a game studio local to my area is starting up a kickstarter for a customizeable hero game.

For the first time in a modern AAA action game, you will have the opportunity to completely define your dream videogame character, from abilities to aesthetics, all while playing in an action-packed world that responds to your personal playstyle.

The language they're using reminds me a lot about what I loved about City of Heroes, and I'm really hoping they can pull this off.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312036782/project-awakened

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
Re: Project Awakened
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:18:44 PM »
So this is a FPS type game?
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 10:36:12 PM »
Looks like a shooter for me just with an costomized character. Yes, I want and need a good character creation, but a little bit of gameplay is important for me too...

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:47:15 AM »
I don't know all the details about the project and what they might change, but fps/third person shooter is gameplay too.  Infamous made for a pretty good hero game, even though it was playing someone else's hero. 

They mention in the kickstarter wanting to make a lot of powers to use, and the video demonstrates some pushing powers, some kind of flamethrowing power and a tornado power.  There is, yes, quite a bit of gun shooting shown off.  Probably because it's (relatively) easy to do and show off in a prototype, because that's what the engine was built for.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
Project Awakened: Closest thing to CoH I've Seen Yet
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »

Check out this kickstarter for the game Project: Awakened. While it is definitely darker and rated M, there is definitely a feeling of CoH here. Super-powers, weapons, and most importantly massive amounts of customization, I've got a good feeling about this :)

Project Awakened is being developed by Phosphor Studios which if I'm correct involves a lot of the same team from Psi Ops which was a pretty solid game. This is definitely something to keep an eye on.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Project Awakened: Closest thing to CoH I've Seen Yet
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:45:51 PM »
Sounds interesting.  And the best part is it seems to be a single player game that they *might* add multiplayer to.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:41:36 PM »
Sounds interesting.  And the best part is it seems to be a single player game that they *might* add multiplayer to.

Yeah, I just now noticed that, I assumed it was at least Co-Op but apparently that's a "stretch goal". Either way looks like a fun game to play superhero dress up in, hoping it actually happens.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 04:27:34 PM »
Welp just now noticed I missed the other Project Awakened thread, my bad!

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »
It's okay.  You do a better job at talking it up.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »
For me... yes, a fast-paced shoot-em-up with lots of weapon choices is indeed "gameplay", but it's not even remotely similar to the gameplay I loved about CoH.  Unless there's some updated information about defensive powersets, buffs, debuffs, mezzes, and Mastermind-style pet summoning, I'll pass.

ET3D

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »
For me... yes, a fast-paced shoot-em-up with lots of weapon choices is indeed "gameplay", but it's not even remotely similar to the gameplay I loved about CoH.  Unless there's some updated information about defensive powersets, buffs, debuffs, mezzes, and Mastermind-style pet summoning, I'll pass.

Personally I don't think pets are a hugely important part of the CoH experience. Yes, they are there, and I had a Mastermind character I enjoyed playing, but Mastermind wasn't always there and wasn't there for heroes before Freedom. There were other pets, but I still don't think they were a major aspect of the game.

I agree though that things like being able to have a freezing power which slows down enemies or freezes the ground under them to make them slip is something I would like.

The single player game has no chance of feeling like an MMO, and that's something that can't be expected. Co-op is a stretch goal, and that would be where most of the features you mention would start to make sense. The great thing about Kickstarter is that it fosters communication between developers and players. So if you like the concept, but want something more, go ahead and contact the developers and tell them.

Personally as someone who mainly soloed through CoH I like the idea of Project Awakened a lot. It does promise to give me a lot of what I enjoyed in CoH, although I would still like to hear more about the story, because playing stories was for me the highlight of CoH.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 12:35:55 PM »
I feel the same way ET3D.  I ran mostly solo game play wise, but hanging out with friends was also a big part of CoH.  If they get Awakened out of bed and rolling I be more then happy to add it to my gamer library.  However I do want story not just action. 
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 05:18:07 PM »
Looks like a shooter for me just with an costomized character. Yes, I want and need a good character creation, but a little bit of gameplay is important for me too...

I'm getting the same impression too.  If I can't play this guy then its not good enough of a replacement to get me to wander away from CO.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »
Well, there's an update that tells a bit about what they want to do with powers now.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312036782/project-awakened/posts/400946

Can someone tell me if it's visible to people that aren't backers?

Anyway, mentioned there is a power that recharges a target's energy while it's used on them, so they have some ideas for support powers at least.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 12:08:25 AM »
I can see the update page.  I'm not a backer, but I am a Kickstarter member.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 04:53:45 AM »
I'm neither a backer nor a member and I can see it. Looks interesting.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 02:42:52 PM »
NOTE:  I've merged the two ongoing discussions for this game into a single thread.

Carry on!
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 11:35:58 PM »

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 02:44:48 AM »
This article does a much better job of going into what they want to do than the kickstarter page does, read it now.

Thanks.  That article did make this endeavor sound more interesting.  I'll back them and see how it goes.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 04:50:34 AM »
Personally I don't think pets are a hugely important part of the CoH experience. Yes, they are there, and I had a Mastermind character I enjoyed playing, but Mastermind wasn't always there and wasn't there for heroes before Freedom. There were other pets, but I still don't think they were a major aspect of the game.

The way I played, they were.  I've always loved summons, and CoH was the first and only game to do pets right.

This game might be interesting, but it'll have to do a lot to win me over.  Right now, it's not doing it.  (Especially since they seem to think you had to click on enemies in CoH to attack them)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 05:01:26 AM »
The way I played, they were.  I've always loved summons, and CoH was the first and only game to do pets right.

I'm a fan of summons, but I prefer them to be largely autonomous and I certainly don't want them to be a couple of levels lower than me and by extension a good deal lower than the enemy.  A pet that just gets smooshed is a worthless irritation. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 02:00:14 AM »
Another update explaining more stuff

Video shows character creation prototype and some power prototypes.  Includes eye lasers.

BenRGamer

• Underling
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 05:00:27 AM »

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 03:04:24 AM »
Some more information about powers, also they're going to have an AMA on reddit tomorrow:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312036782/project-awakened/posts/406394

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 03:31:40 AM »
I was just reading the update email.  Customizeable attacks is interesting.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 04:22:03 AM »
Reminds me of the create a custom hero stuff in Freedom Force.  Except this is the whole point of the game.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 07:56:24 PM »
AMA is up, stuff is being answered.

The one reason Project Awakened keeps going is our passion to it. Even now, all our guys are working around the clock on kickstarter, not because we force them to, but because they love the idea and want it to happen

If we weren't super passionate about making this game happen, it would have died a long time ago. It would have died early in Midway greenlight committees. It would have died in executive reviews. It would have died when Midway shut down. We just keep forcing the idea to live because we see so much potential in it.
If the kickstarter doesn't happen, we will still find a way to make it live. It will just take more time.

Again, this game has many features, and we want to expose all of them on first beta release. Worst case scenario and Phosphor gets hit by a stray Russian meteorite after the kickstarter release, the game could easily continue through modders growing it to be whatever.

rianfrostdrake

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 05:39:37 AM »
OK, I just came here to post about this.  good to see its been covered.  Given how much I said a single player coh would be my dream game,i hopped on this fast.  will try to spread the word on the CO grounds too.

BenRGamer

• Underling
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »
Here's another attempt to get publicity for this project,

Mass Twitter:
https://twitter.com/CynicalBrit

Goal: A "WTF is Project Awakened!" review by Total Biscuit! It's gonna happen in 28 mins... get on twitter, or create one... we'll do this!

Denmark
GMT+0100, and 08:00 PM! (27 mins from now)

Let's show him that we mean it! All those in favor, please do it!

/Casper

BenRGamer

• Underling
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 06:09:15 AM »

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 04:33:52 AM »
I just had an email from one of two City of Heroes SG's where we're keeping in touch (tho rarely see one another here on Titan) who just alerted me to this.   I am glad this is being discussed here.   8)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

kongman

• Underling
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 06:50:20 PM »
I am a huge forum stalker and never post anything here so excuse my "uno post" status. I finally created an account just to post about this and found that you guys already have done so! But really, how awesome does this look? Obviously there is a whole lot of work that needs to be done still, but the overall concept is well, new.  A little searching tells me it kind of plays out as instanced missions rather than a more 'gigantic area for every hero to go to'. So that kind of has me a tad worried, as I enjoy how CoH had the whole MMO feel to it, whereas this seems more like Guild Wars (which isn't a bad thing), except cooler. 

I absolutely love customization in games and this really takes it to that next level that the other Plan Z projects are hopefully aiming for as well. I hope these games revolutionize the gaming industry and go away from that "if it works, don't change it" mentality. Because I have played so many WoW clones, i'm a bit turned off from online gaming now. I think Project Awakened (and the other hero projects) will change that. Granted were a few years away from them coming to us.

Long story short, back this bad boy up with a few bucks!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »
Okay, that video, showcasing a "tank" with bullets just bouncing off of him and a "mentalist" making the enemies fight each other ... now I'm starting to get interested.

rianfrostdrake

• Underling
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 06:59:53 AM »
you know. one thing for this game.  given that this game has such a heavy emphasis on moddability, this really might be a stable platform for the project phoenix folks to look at.  would clear out a lot of the heavy lifting and allow them to focus on actually making mods to bring back some of the coh feel.  just a thought.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 09:03:28 PM »
Is this really an FPS? I know there's 3rd person FPS games but this feels more like it uses auto-targeting. Or semi-auto anyhow. If not, the game really needs a targeting reticle.

And if anything, this reminds me more of Bioshock than CoH. Though Bioshock could probably be traced back to the Jedi Knight games. You get conventional weapons as your main attacks, but with powers that you could use as wildcards without even putting the gun away. In Jedi it was all very force-centric, but Bioshock's powers were pretty interesting. Fire, ice, lightning, psycho-kinetics (pull an object to you and then throw it at someone - pretty sure you could catch bullets in a mind vortex and throw them back too), insect swarms, wind, illusions, hypnosis, hacking...

Btw, that mentalist demo... I don't think you actually 'confuse' the targets and watch the fur fly. I think you actually invade their minds and temporarily take control of their bodies, from their perspective. That's pretty darned cool.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 11:49:14 PM »
Here's the latest Update with a link showing examples of modding that will be available to the community.

like it uses auto-targeting.
On of the examples (particularly the ranged weapons), you can see a little "+" at the center of the screen, so it appears to be your basic FPS targeting.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 12:08:24 AM »
Is this really an FPS? I know there's 3rd person FPS games but this feels more like it uses auto-targeting. Or semi-auto anyhow. If not, the game really needs a targeting reticle.

This is really really really early prototype stuff, so not everything would be in.

Here's the latest Update with a link showing examples of modding that will be available to the community.

GIANT ENEMY CRAB, HIT WEAK POINT FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!!!!!!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 12:08:12 AM »
Project Awakened is being developed by Phosphor Studios which if I'm correct involves a lot of the same team from Psi Ops which was a pretty solid game. This is definitely something to keep an eye on.

!!!!!!!!! The Psi Ops team is still out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man that is the best news I have heard in awhile.  I have been waiting for several years sense Psi Ops to hear something new from these guys.  I was hoping Psi Ops 2 but anything would work and be awesome.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »
Alright checked out project awakened. It looks like more like a call of duty game skinned with hero. Or rather more accurately looks alot like something made from the game Bioshock. Not saying it's a good or bad thing, neutral. But think they will get that last 300,000 and some change in 6 days? But it's nice to see an effort for a single player based game that is of the super hero genre. Just wish some of the current offerings or more future offerings offered the best of both worlds. One could play solo with nothing, I mean nothing at all gated for them nor against them with no bonuses for them nor bonuses that they lack for not teaming

While at the same time, being able to join up with a team when ever a person feel like if they choose with nothing at all gated for or against them with no bonuses for them nor bonues that they lack for not soloing.

That would be my heaven but is probably someone else hell that might team not for chat, or socialization, or to be with friends or even care about the team members, but merely to use them to level quickly due to the xp and inf bonuses certain games gave to teaming compared to soloing.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 06:04:02 PM »
Project Awakened will come out regardless of meeting the goal/deadline. The Kickstarter is to fund a full development team full-time instead of having their current development team doing this in their spare time like they've been doing so far.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 06:25:13 PM »
ah i see.

So the people thta donated and if they dont reach their goal, is the money returned, or do it remain a donation?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 06:31:08 PM »
Kickstarter doesn't take the money until the goal date, IF the goal is met.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 06:41:31 PM »
Kickstarter doesn't take the money until the goal date, IF the goal is met.
i see. that makes sense.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2013, 03:07:22 AM »
Well, new update, showing off some more prototypes, this time built in unreal 4.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 04:07:02 AM »
Oh nice they got the article and the demo out before the goal day.  Hopefully this meets their goal, although $100,000 a day is what they need so not likely lol.  Next KS they start up, if they do which it sounds like they will, hopefully they will be able to reach the goal.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 08:27:38 PM »
Good Start, good to see people being inspired to make a new game.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »

Obsecri

• Underling
  • hek
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2013, 08:56:33 PM »
>3 days
>less than halfway to goal

Well, shicks. Why does this happen to every good game that offers good customization/RP opportunities.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2013, 02:31:23 AM »
>3 days
>less than halfway to goal

Well, shicks. Why does this happen to every good game that offers good customization/RP opportunities.

People like to grind and like limited choices to play? 

Or more seriously, probably just so happen that word getting out enough and or it's just that it's tight time for many people and they dont have as much spare change to donate as they used to.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 04:31:21 AM »
I think the biggest problem is they took too long to come out with the UE4 demo.  They probably shouldn't have started the kickstarter until the video was finished.  Oh well.

Anyway, latest update says they have signed soundtracks by Austin Wintory for two of the more expensive tiers.

I don't know who he is, can anyone here enlighten me?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2013, 06:18:28 AM »
http://bit.ly/Z07tyR

Looks like he's won some awards for his scores, mostly in no-name games and Sundance movies. And one of the Leisure Suit Larry games.

Youtubed his name and found a few good pieces.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »
Well, it seems he did the music for Journey and Flow.  Pretty sure those aren't no name games.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2013, 01:00:27 AM »
Well, it seems he did the music for Journey and Flow.  Pretty sure those aren't no name games.
Maybe if you have a PS3.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 05:40:24 AM »
Well, it seems he did the music for Journey

I remember playing that on Atari 2600, but I thought the music in it was supposed to be based on the eponymous band's music.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2013, 03:50:21 AM »
The game for the Atari 2600 was Journey Escape.  (I know; I had the cartridge up until a couple of years ago, and I still play it via emulator every now and then)

Austin worked on this Journey.  In fact, there's even a trailer specifically for the game's music.

I played Journey on a friend's PS3 shortly after it came out.  It's a short but fun game, far more focused on gameplay than story (and what story it has is told wordlessly).  It's a very similar experience to Thatgamecompany's other games flOw and Flower (though Flower's soundtrack had a different composer).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:02:44 AM by Thunder Glove »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2013, 06:50:45 PM »
FPS is fail... thats not only my opinion that is a commonly referenced game dev thought on the issue, character design or what doesn't really matter, an FPS is by far The easiest type of 3D game to make, just slightly after that is a 3D sidescroller.

FPS mechanics are actually really easy to program and now a days you don't even have to program, someone else already did it and open sourced the script.

there are countless FPS engines that come premade all you do is stick your own graphics and text in and insert and move things around in the scenes..

they continue to make FPS games because studios need a quick fix that can make fast profits from gun lovers and of coarse they usually have extra funding from the USA military, the military actually makes all the FPS engines because it's a good way to encourage more people to join the army/marines as a grunt.

any real game developer will tell you that FPS games are regarded as a game with the least quality and the least effort necessary to make it. heck they had FPS on the NES thats how simple the concept is.

I will not support the same thing that happened to the metroid series to happen to CoH, the game play is radically different and kickstarter would have to actually abandon thier GE and make the game from scratch to include even close to similar functionality to CoH, and something tells me they are not going to go to all that trouble. infact I'd be surprised if an FPS company even knew how to make the basics of a 3rd person game.

rant over
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »
What?  This isn't CoH, or set in the CoH universe or anything.  It has a similar idea in that you have a hero that you create (costume/powers) and go fight things with em.  Not to mention the videos of prototypes shown show a 3rd person perspective for combat.  Not first person.

Also, no real game developer is going to tell you that making a game is easy.  Mostly it sounds like you don't enjoy FPS games for whatever reason, and you're taking your opinion as some sort of widely held "fact".  The Metroid Prime games were good and managed to keep the feel of the original games (exploration, alien worlds, upgrading and backtracking to new areas that open up) while expanding the series into a 3d form.  The gameplay was not a radical departure from the 2d games.  You still had a world to explore, upgrades to find, and enemy fire to dodge.  The camera view was changed and more freedom of movement was added.

I'm also wondering where that bit about military funding fps engines is from. You're saying Epic Games is financed by the military somehow?  (Epic games makes the Unreal Engine which gets used in a lot of FPS/3d games.)  Where are you getting this info from?

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2013, 04:53:20 AM »
What?  This isn't CoH, or set in the CoH universe or anything.  It has a similar idea in that you have a hero that you create (costume/powers) and go fight things with em.  Not to mention the videos of prototypes shown show a 3rd person perspective for combat.  Not first person.

Also, no real game developer is going to tell you that making a game is easy.  Mostly it sounds like you don't enjoy FPS games for whatever reason, and you're taking your opinion as some sort of widely held "fact".  The Metroid Prime games were good and managed to keep the feel of the original games (exploration, alien worlds, upgrading and backtracking to new areas that open up) while expanding the series into a 3d form.  The gameplay was not a radical departure from the 2d games.  You still had a world to explore, upgrades to find, and enemy fire to dodge.  The camera view was changed and more freedom of movement was added.

I'm also wondering where that bit about military funding fps engines is from. You're saying Epic Games is financed by the military somehow?  (Epic games makes the Unreal Engine which gets used in a lot of FPS/3d games.)  Where are you getting this info from?

go to school for game design, they will go over the history of gaming, and FPS is talked about during such a history lesson, it is actually regarded as the easiest game to make.

Metroid prime, was a travesty that destroyed the metroid series' atmosphere, that is why the tried to make MP3 different and more adventure content filled, however Nintendo had already served retrostudios with an 'end of the line' order due to the declining number of fans.

thats from the inside of nintendo, thats the information I had to pull out of nintendo by learning the game business terms and talking with people in charge of such decisions.

only FPS fans liked metroid prime and even they found it second rate to other games and ended up not buying the sequels.

Allow me to debunk your claims; the controls were wildly different from the 2D predecessors, Samus could only jump 3 ft and was heavy and clunky not light and graceful like she was supposed to be. the items and thier usage and looks were molested and mutated into unrecognisable forms and were given incorrect and or merged names (due to laziness), I found samus's controls in the series to be very unreliable, most FPS fans defended it in the fact that so long as it has the aspects you stated and samus is in it then it's a metroid game.

that could not be farther from the truth, a metroid game has it's very own style of gameplay not comparable to anything else, the correct presentation in 3D actually has to be different from any other game ever made (which no one in the game industry wants to make the effort to do)

metroid prime was 90% FPS, 10% metroid, really, do the math take every aspect of the game and pull it appart for it's % of the game, 90% of the game is built around FPS style gameplay, and samus, her ship, some item names and 'metroids' (if you can even call these things that), were thrown in with a little bit of text that eludes vaguely to the metroid trillogy but retcons it terribly, everything else including the game play was not immediately identifyable as 'definitely metroid' heck it could have been zelda with what you describe, the controls and interactions were all forcefully geared to an FPS engine. 

[bottom line] don't argue with me on this, Metroid should never have been an FPS and nintendo agrees, they feel shamed over it and dont want that to go public it's why retro studios was cutoff from working with nintendo. in internet speech; Metroid Prime = fail. Metroid other M = fail nintendo no know what do??. [/bottom line]

the military openly said in a documentary on PBS that they actively fund any FPS studio they can if they will comply with the military demands for the game. the military refers to them as 'combat simulations'.

go ahead ask the military if they fund certain game development studios ask them to give you a list, nearly all the FPS studios are there, the military doesnt hide it's funding of the studios from public attention.

onto what you're talking about, ok so, you have FPS heroes.. not even close to an outlet for most real superhero fans. even with the surpluss of blasters we had in CoH, I prefer to see everything around my character too so I can know when the roman INC is coming and get to the center of the pack.

you're right I don't like FPS games, I hate them after what they did to metroid and got away with.

to end my comment, look at how dumb retro studios really was, several of thier lead members thought it was a good idea to make metroid prime pinball and actually released it. nintendo openly condemned them for it as did every game magizine with any taste. thats the kind of yahoos who were working on metroid prime... seriously a pinball game from a serious series? I could see it if it was mario or sonic they are 'comic' series. zelda is in the middle ground to give you a gauge it's both comic and serious.

I really dont want to get into an argument over this, I just want to vent and get it over with. I argued this topic to death back when I was in highschool, I made clear detailed reports listing every aspect of the metroiid series that was changed to conform to Prime FPS.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2013, 09:55:08 AM »
go to school for game design, they will go over the history of gaming, and FPS is talked about during such a history lesson, it is actually regarded as the easiest game to make.

Metroid prime, was a travesty that destroyed the metroid series' atmosphere, that is why the tried to make MP3 different and more adventure content filled, however Nintendo had already served retrostudios with an 'end of the line' order due to the declining number of fans.

thats from the inside of nintendo, thats the information I had to pull out of nintendo by learning the game business terms and talking with people in charge of such decisions.

only FPS fans liked metroid prime and even they found it second rate to other games and ended up not buying the sequels.

Allow me to debunk your claims; the controls were wildly different from the 2D predecessors, Samus could only jump 3 ft and was heavy and clunky not light and graceful like she was supposed to be. the items and thier usage and looks were molested and mutated into unrecognisable forms and were given incorrect and or merged names (due to laziness), I found samus's controls in the series to be very unreliable, most FPS fans defended it in the fact that so long as it has the aspects you stated and samus is in it then it's a metroid game.

that could not be farther from the truth, a metroid game has it's very own style of gameplay not comparable to anything else, the correct presentation in 3D actually has to be different from any other game ever made (which no one in the game industry wants to make the effort to do)

metroid prime was 90% FPS, 10% metroid, really, do the math take every aspect of the game and pull it appart for it's % of the game, 90% of the game is built around FPS style gameplay, and samus, her ship, some item names and 'metroids' (if you can even call these things that), were thrown in with a little bit of text that eludes vaguely to the metroid trillogy but retcons it terribly, everything else including the game play was not immediately identifyable as 'definitely metroid' heck it could have been zelda with what you describe, the controls and interactions were all forcefully geared to an FPS engine. 

[bottom line] don't argue with me on this, Metroid should never have been an FPS and nintendo agrees, they feel shamed over it and dont want that to go public it's why retro studios was cutoff from working with nintendo. in internet speech; Metroid Prime = fail. Metroid other M = fail nintendo no know what do??. [/bottom line]

the military openly said in a documentary on PBS that they actively fund any FPS studio they can if they will comply with the military demands for the game. the military refers to them as 'combat simulations'.

go ahead ask the military if they fund certain game development studios ask them to give you a list, nearly all the FPS studios are there, the military doesnt hide it's funding of the studios from public attention.

onto what you're talking about, ok so, you have FPS heroes.. not even close to an outlet for most real superhero fans. even with the surpluss of blasters we had in CoH, I prefer to see everything around my character too so I can know when the roman INC is coming and get to the center of the pack.

you're right I don't like FPS games, I hate them after what they did to metroid and got away with.

to end my comment, look at how dumb retro studios really was, several of thier lead members thought it was a good idea to make metroid prime pinball and actually released it. nintendo openly condemned them for it as did every game magizine with any taste. thats the kind of yahoos who were working on metroid prime... seriously a pinball game from a serious series? I could see it if it was mario or sonic they are 'comic' series. zelda is in the middle ground to give you a gauge it's both comic and serious.

I really dont want to get into an argument over this, I just want to vent and get it over with. I argued this topic to death back when I was in highschool, I made clear detailed reports listing every aspect of the metroiid series that was changed to conform to Prime FPS.

Like P51 said, the game has nothing to do with CoH in anyway at all, and its not even a first person shooter.  Also I don't need to go game design school to know that most of what you said was subjective views being worded to sound objective.

For example because playing with % is fun.

I did the math and this is 100% subjective.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2013, 04:21:46 PM »
Like P51 said, the game has nothing to do with CoH in anyway at all, and its not even a first person shooter.  Also I don't need to go game design school to know that most of what you said was subjective views being worded to sound objective.

For example because playing with % is fun.
 I did the math and this is 100% subjective.

do I really need to write out a list for you? do I really need to dig up articles about each topic for references?

or amybe I should get you incontact with actual people at nintendo and have them personally tell you that what I am saying is true, they will admit, they tried thier normal thing that they do with all thier other games to make sequels with metroid, The Exact Wording that they told retro studios before metroid prime was made was "just don't make it zelda in space" - comment published in nintendo power. Miyamoto and several others watched over the project tirelessly, however during the MP2 era they admitted that metroid prime really wasnt very metroidy and said they had been preparing for failure since the begining which is why the game is 'metroid prime' the addition of 'prime' was meant to distinguish it as a different entity from the original trillogy (also in an article in nintendo power). For MP3 the comment was that they admitted to trying to do the same tricks they do with mario or thier other series and those tricks didnt work with metroid and changed the game too much from it's predecessors to be considered the same videogame entity. and I quote "Metroid Prime 3 will be the last installment of the Metroid Prime series, and nintendo will not be renewing retro's license"

thats when nintendo tried to make Other M and when that failed they didn't know what to do. so metroid games have been discontinued. several studios have since bought the license and made a game proposal and could not get agreement from nintendo to allow them to make it before the license expired.

also I guess I jst got steamed at the first few pages of comments where the game inquestion in this topic is being referenced as a FPS from an FPS stdio and is 'based on CoH' in the fact that it has the ability of costume design. if you want to know why I object so heavily to this is because some FPSers might abandon CoH over this other game, and when CoH is reborn that will mean less players which will hurt our cause.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2013, 05:50:39 PM »

You're right that it's not worth arguing with you, but not for the reason you think.  It's because you're talking completely out of your ass.

A quick check of wikipedia shows that Retro Studios is still working with Nintendo after the 3 Prime games.  Since the Prime games they've made Donkey Kong Country Returns and Mario Kart 7.  They're also working on an unnamed project for the WiiU for Nintendo.

Btw, I don't know where their numbers are from, but according to VGchartz, Metroid Prime sold better than the original Metroid, and 2 and 3 sold about as well as Super Metroid.

So, you can believe whatever weird crap you want, but I don't have to talk to you anymore.  You've proven yourself not worth it.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2013, 07:05:22 AM »
also I guess I jst got steamed at the first few pages of comments where the game inquestion in this topic is being referenced as a FPS from an FPS stdio and is 'based on CoH' in the fact that it has the ability of costume design. if you want to know why I object so heavily to this is because some FPSers might abandon CoH over this other game, and when CoH is reborn that will mean less players which will hurt our cause.
1.  No one said that quote in this thread that I recall or can find.  The closest thing stated was that elements of the game was "inspired by" CoH.  The developers themselves stated in multiple interviews that it was the customization elements of the MMO genre they wanted to cross into their more first-person action space, and they specifically mentioned City of Heroes by name as an exemplar of that customization and as a specific source of inspiration.  But neither they or anyone in this thread I can find suggested that Awakened would be explicitly like City of Heroes in a game-play sense.

2.  At the moment there is no playable CoH for players to abandon.  Its not reasonable to expect City of Heroes gamers to stop playing games while they wait for a successor project.

3.  Any game design school that claims FPS games are the "easiest" games to make are probably not worth attending.  Firstly because the statement has no meaning without context, and secondly is unlikely to be meaningfully true under any reasonable context.  Farmville-like games are the easiest (computer) games to make.  Excluding them, side-scrollers and top-down scrollers are much easier to make than FPS games.  Its not even clear to me that FPS games are easier to make than MMOs.  MMOs are potentially harder to *operate* but that's a completely different thing.  Its relatively easy to make a bad FPS, but its also not that difficult to make a bad MMO.  About the only thing that's true is that the average MMO is much more rapacious when it comes to consuming budgets than the average FPS.  And separate from creating the game, MMOs have more complex publishing issues than single player games in general.  But if you want to make a good, state of the art, well designed game, I do not believe that in principle its harder to make an MMO than an FPS, or a first-person action game in general.

There's also the question of what is "easy."  One of my favorite games, from the perspective of game design, is Ogre.  You can make that game with some hex paper, some tic tacs, and a felt pen.  On the other hand, it has a level of asymmetric balance I have almost never seen replicated.  How hard would it be to create a similar game with similar playing balance?  Really, really hard, I think.  I sketched out the basics of the CoH custom critter point system in a weekend.  I've been thinking about Ogre off and on for thirty years, and I still don't know how I would go about replicating its asymmetric balance in a game of equal simplicity.

4.  I'm not a big Metroid fan, but I do know that the three Metroid Prime games were not failures by any standard.  All three were critically well reviewed, and all three made a ton of money.  Also, Metroid Prime 3 was announced very early as being the last in the series, not only over a year before release but also while Metroid Prime 2 was still selling.  So its impossible that the decision to end the Prime series was based on the popularity of the game.  The controversy surrounding Metroid purists seems unlikely to me to have had any real impact on Nintendo's IP strategy.  They generally consider games to be a success if they are popular, not if they are gameplay-pure.

Also, Retro is still making games, and as far as I know still has an exclusive deal with Nintendo, which means they are still making Nintendo games.  And they are hiring.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »
or amybe I should get you incontact with actual people at nintendo and have them personally tell you that what I am saying is true
  Yes I would like this actually. Because I know they wouldn't say this.

also I guess I jst got steamed at the first few pages of comments where the game inquestion in this topic is being referenced as a FPS from an FPS stdio and is 'based on CoH' in the fact that it has the ability of costume design. if you want to know why I object so heavily to this is because some FPSers might abandon CoH over this other game, and when CoH is reborn that will mean less players which will hurt our cause

As many people have said this game has no relation to COH.  That is why it is in the "Other game" section.
The game isn't a FPS, nor are any of the games the studio has made. They worked on the UE4 WITH epic, they didn't make gears of war(still not even a FPS).  The games their studio has made aren't FPS's, and when the majority of the team worked at Midway they weren't making FPS's either.  Also it is possible to play more then one game at a time.  I was playing CoH while playing several other games all different styles FPS, RPG, Puzzles, other MMO's.  You claim to know a lot about games, but you didn't research the team making this game, the "facts" you were stating, or even the game it self.  One look at the KS showed that it was in fact not a FPS and that it has no relation to CoH.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »
Don't feed the trolls, people.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2013, 04:43:07 PM »
Wow this thread took a turn for the worst.

Still hoping to hear some post kickstarter news about this. I know I'd heard development would continue, just not as fast.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2013, 07:34:05 PM »
Btw, I don't know where their numbers are from, but according to VGchartz, Metroid Prime sold better than the original Metroid, and 2 and 3 sold about as well as Super Metroid.

Factoring in the changes to the business-scape, that's probably irrelevant. The gaming populous had probably amplified by a factor of 10 between Metroid and Metroid Prime. And if they're going by the $ of sales rather than the number of units: inflation, much?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2013, 08:54:22 PM »
The gaming populous had probably amplified by a factor of 10 between Metroid and Metroid Prime.
Are you counting individuals, or raw tonnage?

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2013, 02:52:22 AM »
Wow this thread took a turn for the worst.

Still hoping to hear some post kickstarter news about this. I know I'd heard development would continue, just not as fast.

They sent out a survey to the backers you may have gotten.  To get a feel for how much money they could raise the second time around they asked backers what they would be willing to pledge again.  If it was over 350K they would do another fundraiser.  If it was under though they would go back to working on it as a side project pushing back their ideal release date.  I'm hoping they start another KS soon and can meet their goal.  I would love to see this game reach its full potential.

Also I should probably put this in a new post but you guys should out Destiny as well.  I've heard it suppose to be a pretty huge game with a ever changing story.  MMO-Style but not quite MMO.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2013, 05:46:19 AM »
Some news.  They posted on their website that the survey is over and from the looks of it they reached their survey goal and are starting another fund raiser back up.  It said to check in today the 21st for news but I didn't see anything on their website, ill post a link here if they change this.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2013, 01:11:39 AM »
All right.  I did log on the KS late and did pledge, and did take the survey in which I promised more than I pledged before, but have marked down that I promised that amount.  I'll go again, especially since I now have fiber optic, and just tried Neverwinter to find out movement doesn't use the arrow keys, which I consider important.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2013, 02:49:25 AM »
So today they sent out emails saying you can start pledging again.  If they make less then $250,000 then it goes back underground.  If they make over that they will start two projects.  One will be released this year and it similar to what they have shown so far, it will allow you to make your character, customize some powers, and some multiplayer and modding depending on how much they can raise.  Then the actual full game will be released in 2014.  If they can make I think over $500,000 it will be released June 21st 2014. And then again the more money raised the more options.  If they don't make the $250,000 though you will be refunded.  You can start now with the founder deals or you can wait until Monday when they go official with it.

But check it for yourselves and see what you think. More info at their website linked below.

http://www.projectawakened.com/

Lady Entropy

• Underling
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2013, 01:05:51 PM »
They made a few changes to the project, after I went there and checked it: first, I think (think) that on monday, the new Kickstarter will come up. They opened an early "fundraising" too, at their site, I think tobe able to get some money without amazon and kickstarter getting any fees from it.

Furthermore, they divided the project into two: the first goal, the Danger Room, is needing only 250k to suceed and will be released on November this year. The second game, the single player campaign will need around 400k, and will show up late 2014 (earlier if they manage to get the funds).

They're asking for feedback and ideas in the Founder forum, and I'm soooo tempted to just ask them to import versions of the COH wardrobe.

What? A girl can dream, right?

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2013, 02:54:20 AM »
Hey all I am guilty of bumping here.  I just wanted this to be back in plain sight.  If anyone is interested in helping fund this game now is the time:) They could use the help.  You can pledge at there website

http://www.projectawakened.com/

I am not sure if an actual Kickstarter will be started.  But they say they will refund everyone if they don't make the 250k.  I like to believe they are telling the truth.  I don't think they would ruin their companies reputation but that is just what I like to believe.

rianfrostdrake

• Underling
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2013, 12:52:54 AM »
just wanted to let people know. they apparently have abandoned the second crowd funding attempt.  they said that recent alternate funding options have become available, so i'm hopeful, but it seems  to be vanishing for now.  the concept was something I really wanted so i'm hoping the new funding gets it gone.

rianfrostdrake

• Underling
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2013, 06:29:35 AM »
ok, i felt this was important enought to keep ti rolling.  while the second kickstarter failed.  p:a has apparently been greenliit on steam, which is at least good news about the game having some sort of stability rather than just being the pet project of a bunch of devs who got burned by midway's demise (yeah, that sounded cynical, but gaming often justifies cynicism)  at any rate, as per their forum administrator, they are still chipping away, so while its not the return of coh, it's customization and power diversity seems like it will spiritually have many of coh's best points.