Author Topic: So this has probably been posted before but...  (Read 3982 times)

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
So this has probably been posted before but...
« on: February 01, 2013, 09:57:10 PM »
I was going through my FB inbox and came across this from one of my friends. I had forgotten I had it. It seriously made me smile.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/438711/ae-babies-episode-1
.                              Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination. Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.

We'll begin with a spin, traveling in the world of my creation. What we'll see will defy explanation.

If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanta change the world? There's nothing To it.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
Re: So this has probably been posted before but...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 10:16:49 PM »
I had never seen that before.  Thanks for sharing.  I totally enjoyed it.

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »
Oh I was laughing so hard watching them(did you watch the second one also?) While I never actually had a conversation with an AE baby I can see the tells while I watch it.
.                              Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination. Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.

We'll begin with a spin, traveling in the world of my creation. What we'll see will defy explanation.

If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanta change the world? There's nothing To it.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:55:12 PM »
Those are awesome, aren't they? ;D

Have you checked out Stan and Lou yet? They're a great laugh too

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 02:43:52 AM »
I had a smile on may face watching those - particularly the last 30 seconds of the 2nd one  :)

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 10:06:11 AM »
Meh I really thought the blatant hate against people playing the game in a different way was really sad, and not good for the game/Community.

I remember being on teams with an "ae baby" on it, and watching them run off from the team because they got something wrong, or mentioned they got to 50 in AE. People trying the mission side out of the game, and only meeting self righteous snark. 

And so much was misdirected hate too, as if AE was the first time that power leveling or exploits had occurred.

redgiant

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 10:55:16 AM »
Well, the extreme examples of "Outhause" make it clearly parody. It goes miles beyond someone who might enjoy playing, even fairly exclusively, AE missions.

Lol "are you a special needs person" and " you are a tosser aren't you" had me crying...

I mean, anyone  at Level 43 (main or not) who doesn't know what a monorail train station is for, or doesn't know the basic zone maps by recognizing their names kind of deserves it.

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 10:43:42 PM »
Well, the extreme examples of "Outhause" make it clearly parody. It goes miles beyond someone who might enjoy playing, even fairly exclusively, AE missions.

Lol "are you a special needs person" and " you are a tosser aren't you" had me crying...

I mean, anyone  at Level 43 (main or not) who doesn't know what a monorail train station is for, or doesn't know the basic zone maps by recognizing their names kind of deserves it.
So someone coming from Redside only?

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 07:11:44 AM »

Yes, while there were quite a few AE babies, this was a parody created by someone who was acting like an AE baby for comedic effect.

By the way, I always had a hard time blaming AE babies for being so atrociously uninformed about the game.  The fact of the matter is that a LOT of people were responsible for farming the crap out of AE.  I tried until I was blue in the face to explain why doing so was detrimental to the game, and I seemed to always just be handwaved away with the old "but people should be able to play any way they want to!" rationalization.  AE babies were a direct result of that, and I don't mind saying that I felt really sad about what AE became, but also vindicated that Tony's lectures on farming came to pass.

Part of me thinks that for AE to really be viable for the purposes that the devs intended it, it really shouldn't have given out any rewards, but that the best arcs should have been integrated into the game's canon, either via new contacts or as something like newspaper or police band missions.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 01:02:42 PM »
They could always have done what STO did with theirs and stuck a hard cap on how much you can get per day from it. High enough that just running a few arcs of any size won't hit it unless you're really lucky with drops, but low enough that it's pretty pointless to farm.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 05:34:11 PM »
Part of me thinks that for AE to really be viable for the purposes that the devs intended it, it really shouldn't have given out any rewards, but that the best arcs should have been integrated into the game's canon, either via new contacts or as something like newspaper or police band missions.

I always wondered why you earned influence/infamy/information from AE missions. I can see earning experience -- you're learning how to use your powers better, becoming more effective as a superhero. And I can see the AE tickets; they're the reward you get for participating in AE missions, just like ticket rewards in an arcade. But 'inf' is supposed to be, in game, a measure of other people's willingness to provide 'tangible' assistance to you, whether out of respect, fear, or self-interest. I can't see that crawling into your electronic navel and defeating any number of opponents in a virtual world is going to make anyone out in the real world interested in providing you with any kind of assistance. "You want six of these targeting optics? These are for Paragon City's heroes. You're who? Sorry, never heard of you. Yeah, I can see your ID says you're security level 40, but I ain't seen your name anywhere.  Now, you take Caloritron over there -- he's in the paper almost every day for taking out a Fifth Column cell or a Tsoo hideout; he even helped take down Dr. Vahzilok a while back. He can have pretty much anything I've got if it will help him make our streets safer. But you? For all I know, you're going to take these and shop them to the black market. Go build up some reputation, then come back, and we'll see."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 05:09:38 AM »
Yes, while there were quite a few AE babies, this was a parody created by someone who was acting like an AE baby for comedic effect.

By the way, I always had a hard time blaming AE babies for being so atrociously uninformed about the game.  The fact of the matter is that a LOT of people were responsible for farming the crap out of AE.  I tried until I was blue in the face to explain why doing so was detrimental to the game, and I seemed to always just be handwaved away with the old "but people should be able to play any way they want to!" rationalization.  AE babies were a direct result of that, and I don't mind saying that I felt really sad about what AE became, but also vindicated that Tony's lectures on farming came to pass.

AE's primary purpose should've been as a community tool, not as an alternate way to level. Maybe some unique superficial rewards are OK to encourage people to use the system, but that's it. All I ever wanted to use it for was writing stories for my SG to RP in... stories that would only be relevant to the players it was written for.

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 05:21:09 AM »
Pre AE I remember seeing lvl 1 heros hanging around Portal Court to try and get a PL, back when that was possible to do so fast with a bridge.  AE just made it easy as you could go from 1-50 in Atlas.  I was not imune to the temptation of PLs in Portal, but made sure I had plenty of 50s under my belt the old fashoined way.  Hated that run to get there...  If you buy a stand alone game and go right to cheat codes for "god mode" it may be fun for awhile, but you get bored fast and no one cares since it's just you.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 03:25:06 PM »
My AE baby story:

Standing late at night in PI finding a few more folks for running AV arcs and a 47 blaster joined us. He was a Fire/Fire blaster and once we filled up - off we went!

We jump into the mission and the blaster charges! The blaster dies. We defeat the group and rez the blaster and move forward. The blaster charges. The blaster dies. We again clear the room and now I suggest he wait and let us control aggro before he starts the flames rolling. He says,"I don't know what's going on I have never died before!"

Watching him - I didn't detect the canniness of a highly skilled blaster who can get to 47 without death. I saw - charge! Die and rinse/repeat. It finally clicked, the penny dropped. Say you didn't by any chance get to 47 in the AE killing Hamidon jello did you?

"Yes, why?" he asked.

Because they don't shoot back - is this your first character - I also ask looking at his badges.

"Why yes it is." he declared. He died in that one mission at least 40 times, that is my AE baby story.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 01:48:26 AM »
I always wondered why you earned influence/infamy/information from AE missions. I can see earning experience -- you're learning how to use your powers better, becoming more effective as a superhero. And I can see the AE tickets; they're the reward you get for participating in AE missions, just like ticket rewards in an arcade. But 'inf' is supposed to be, in game, a measure of other people's willingness to provide 'tangible' assistance to you, whether out of respect, fear, or self-interest. I can't see that crawling into your electronic navel and defeating any number of opponents in a virtual world is going to make anyone out in the real world interested in providing you with any kind of assistance. "You want six of these targeting optics? These are for Paragon City's heroes. You're who? Sorry, never heard of you. Yeah, I can see your ID says you're security level 40, but I ain't seen your name anywhere.  Now, you take Caloritron over there -- he's in the paper almost every day for taking out a Fifth Column cell or a Tsoo hideout; he even helped take down Dr. Vahzilok a while back. He can have pretty much anything I've got if it will help him make our streets safer. But you? For all I know, you're going to take these and shop them to the black market. Go build up some reputation, then come back, and we'll see."

Well also you could make killer money off the auction house without putting much effort  and or earning it killing things also.