Author Topic: Are we losing momentum ??  (Read 13182 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Are we losing momentum ??
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 04:30:35 AM »
Shift to the left! Shift to the right! Pop up, push down, byte, byte, byte!

Although MIT's has to be the geekiest:

I'm a Beaver!
Yu're a Beaver!
We are Beavers all!
And when we get together
We do the Beaver call!
e^u  du/dx!
e^x dx!
Cosine, secant, tangent, sine!
3.14159!
Integral, radical, mu dv!
Slipstick, slide rule, MIT!
Goooo TECH!

Yea, we had one that was similar.

e^x dy dx
e^x dx
Cosine, secant, tangent, sine!
3.14159!
Sqrt, Cube root, log of pi
dis-integrate them RPI
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Senkan

• Minion
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »
I'm sorry to say..at this point.. we need to put COH behind us.  I can't see NCSoft bringing it back.  And even if they did who would trust them?  We need to put our attention and focus on the new projects.  These projects need momentum.  The COH fan base will come to a new game.  And the new game will bring new players.  Hopefully the new game can have some of what COH had (AE, invention system, sweet costume creator, huge monster events, etc..).  The more customizing the better!

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 11:58:10 AM »
We don't really even want NCSoft to bring it back, because as you say, we don't trust them. That's never been the point of our efforts. We want them to release the IP, and on that end I see no reason at all to give up and 'put it behind me'. This is six years of my life. I'm not giving up after two piddly months.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »
I'm sorry to say..at this point.. we need to put COH behind us.  I can't see NCSoft bringing it back.  And even if they did who would trust them?  We need to put our attention and focus on the new projects.  These projects need momentum.  The COH fan base will come to a new game.  And the new game will bring new players.  Hopefully the new game can have some of what COH had (AE, invention system, sweet costume creator, huge monster events, etc..).  The more customizing the better!

Even if NCsoft never releases the IP AND the Plan Z projects don't take off there's still work being done to get a private server going. We've got multiple options for getting CoH (or something very close to it) back, no reason to throw in the towel on any one of our options yet. Not even close.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2013, 01:21:36 PM »
Hopefully the new game can have some of what COH had (AE, invention system, sweet costume creator, huge monster events, etc..).  The more customizing the better!
Much of this is, indeed, planned in the Phoenix Project. Our first efforts are to get the costume creator put together for release as a stand-alone product, because we can get that done faster than the entire MMO and give the community something to get together over and discuss sooner rather than later. It still will take time, but it will happen! Look for Missing Worlds Media on facebook and visit our web site and forums at missingworldsmedia.com to see some of what we're doing. I know we have a couple of blog-style posts on Facebook and our web page, as well.

I don't want to see momentum diminish for the Save CoH effort, but for those who need something in which to take heart, the Phoenix Project is making continuing strides in its development efforts.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2013, 01:48:43 PM »
This is six years of my life. I'm not giving up after two piddly months.

You know, I don't think I've ever heard it put better than this.

+1'd

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2013, 02:20:11 PM »
I know we are used to instant gratification these days, however you have in here a very dedicated group of people. I don't think any of us could take time away from their work to create or recreate a game like City of Heroes on a full time basis.

We have our best men, BEST MEN working on it but it takes time.

A community or a persons character isn't defined by how you react when things are going poorly - you earn character by how you behave when undergoing hardship.

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 02:53:42 PM »
"History... is-a made at night! Character... is what-a you are in-a the dark! We must-a work while-a the clock, she's-a ticking!"

- Dr. Emilio Lizardo

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »
This is six years of my life. I'm not giving up after two piddly months.

*Holds up hand in horns salute* This.

Are we losing momentum? I think we are doing all we can. I'm impatient, too. I am in fact the very Queen of Impatient. But.... a problem of this magnetude is not quickly fixed.

If we get the IP: I'm there. If we get an emulator server: so much there. If we get a new game built on what we love: also there.

I don't like waiting - who does - but a game like this is worth waiting for. Because I want to fly again.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2013, 02:04:45 AM »
OK folks, first, I got derailed for ALL of January (and still am a good bit) by influenza.

I'm 62.  This hit hard.  A solid week of fever, 3 weeks of sleeping 12-16 hours a day, coughing until I thought I had broken a rib, it hurt so much (didn't, just strained muscles). 

My Google contact got back to me yesterday to say that the three contacts he had for OUTSIDE Google did not pan out.  One was at Disney and had gotten fired they day they bought the SW francise, the other two weren't interested for reasons that had nothing to do with the game (he didn't elaborate).

TODAY he gave me the direct contact at Google Play, who told him "Please have her send me the pitch package."  So Rae, Quinch, Ammon and I will be working on the new Google Pitch package.

Once I get done with the book that is now a full month behind schedule and due in 2 weeks....*cries*
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2013, 02:10:47 AM »

Once I get done with the book that is now a full month behind schedule and due in 2 weeks....*cries*
Oh man. That cant be good.

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2013, 02:36:12 AM »
OK folks, first, I got derailed for ALL of January (and still am a good bit) by influenza.

I'm 62.  This hit hard.  A solid week of fever, 3 weeks of sleeping 12-16 hours a day, coughing until I thought I had broken a rib, it hurt so much (didn't, just strained muscles). 

My Google contact got back to me yesterday to say that the three contacts he had for OUTSIDE Google did not pan out.  One was at Disney and had gotten fired they day they bought the SW francise, the other two weren't interested for reasons that had nothing to do with the game (he didn't elaborate).

TODAY he gave me the direct contact at Google Play, who told him "Please have her send me the pitch package."  So Rae, Quinch, Ammon and I will be working on the new Google Pitch package.

Dang it, the only time travel option I have access to is traveling counterclockwise over the International Date Line and that would only gain you at most 23 hours and change and even then it would be relative, still wouldn't affect your publisher's clocks and calendars...

*pulls out note pad places one more underline under: Invent time alteration machine ala "The Girl, Gold Watch and Everything" (the book)*
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2013, 03:16:38 AM »

You go ahead and give.  I'm not.  I've got 7.5 years in it, myself.  And characters I still care about.  Yes, it's all virtual, but not totally.  There are Things(tm) being done.  And there's Hope.  Always.

Give up?  Only if I can't breathe anymore. :)

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2013, 03:59:43 AM »
Obviously I take it all with trepid optimism, but that does sound mildly promising VV.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2013, 05:55:25 AM »
You go ahead and give.  I'm not.  I've got 7.5 years in it, myself.  And characters I still care about.  Yes, it's all virtual, but not totally.  There are Things(tm) being done.  And there's Hope.  Always.
I feel the same way.
I also have 8 years in it. Started in September (the 5th) in 2004.

Give up?  Only if I can't breathe anymore. :)

I see you are following my family motto, "Dum Spiro Spero".
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
These are our darkest hours.  We knew they were coming we expected NCsoft wasn't going to change their minds.  No reason to give up because we were right.

I spent years in Coh myself started when City of Villains came out.  But for me I was never fighting for a game.  A game is pixels and behind the image computations.  I'm fighting for a franchise that could have pushed Superhero MMOs into the next generation gaming.  With the right advertisement and the time is Ripe now with all the Superhero Movies and such... But no instead of delivering a City of heroes 2 and advertising it to hell.  NCsoft went with more fantasy and sword swinging skimpy clad stuff.

No I was never fighting for a game.  The game I got over long ago.  I'm fighting for this Awesome community!  I'm fighting for Dignity that should have been given to the Paragon Development team that pushed a 8 year old game to it's limits and beyond.  I'm fighting for a Franchise that was and could still overshadow all other Superhero games out there.  I am and always will fight for Truth, Justice, and the thrill of sending a hellion goon into outer-space with a Street Justice powered up Uppercut!

"Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow."  ~Mary Anne Radmacher

"Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally."  ~David Frost

And the best Quote for us!

"Once you choose hope, anything's possible."  ~Christopher Reeve.  Can't disagree with a real Superman now can we?  One way or another be it in a relaunch of CoH, or in a new game of our making, or even somehow somewhere a studio is about to launch a superhero MMO that has the magic of City of heroes...

WE WILL FLY AGAIN!

One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Blackbird71

• Minion
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2013, 08:20:22 PM »
To the OP, and the rest of the SaveCoH community, all I can say is have patience.

A few days ago, I did something that I haven't been able to do in over eight years, something which I had little hope of ever being able to do again: I logged into Earth and Beyond, a beloved game that was also shut down before its time.  But a couple of months ago, the emulator moved out of beta and into live mode.  The community is not the size it once was (neither is the server), but the heart and spirit are still there.

Even in its prime, EnB was never a hugely successful game, largely due to the fact that its publisher gave it no support whatsoever, and had no interest in maintaining it beyond lipservice to contractual obligations.  But if a game like this could inspire a community to gather the talent and spend the time and effort necessary to rebuild, and then succeed at doing so, then there is no reason not to believe that CoH will also rise again one day.

So it may take time, some may lose interest along the way, but have patience, and eventually we will have our city back.

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2013, 09:33:35 PM »
Two months is nothing.  It took twice as long as that for Paragon, working on it full-time as their actual jobs, with all of the code and tools already at hand, to put together, test and launch an Issue.
If that's the kind of timeframe you were expecting results on, then I'm sorry, but you clearly have no idea what's actually involved in a project like this.

I get it.  You want your game back, preferably exactly how it was at 00:00 12/1/12.  Log in to your characters and go.  And you want it to be done yesterday.  By people doing this in their spare time.
It doesn't work like that.
If you aren't prepared to wait literal years for a revival, a spiritual successor, a private server emulator or something else... then I'm sorry, because you will be terribly disappointed.