Author Topic: NCSoft Should Follow Example Set By EA Regarding Fan Loyalty  (Read 9182 times)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
NCSoft Should Follow Example Set By EA Regarding Fan Loyalty
« on: January 29, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
So, I recently went back and bought all of the Ultima series of games on GOG.com. Not just to own Windows 7 compatible copies, but also to further support a franchise that's been with me since childhood and that I still enjoy as an adult in Ultima Online. I'll always be a fan of the franchise, willing to pony up cash for a new Ultima game or UO expansion, or in-game item.

But the reason for this involves more than just the franchise's longevity. The Ultima franchise's publisher, EA, has a LOT to do with my customer loyalty. Meanwhile, like many City of Heroes fans, I would NOT buy another City of Heroes franchise title from NCSoft. And this isn't just out of spite over COH's closure. It's about reward for investment.

Allow me to explain.

A lot of people speak of Ultima and Ultima Online in the past tense; but because of EA's friendlier (or at least less adversarial) stance toward fans, I know that UO will still be available to play 15 years from now and beyond, even if EA abandons the official shards. I first played Ultima III as a 12 year-old boy; and it's the knowledge that I'll always have access to newly created content within the Ultima universe--whether official or community-created--that's one of the most dorkily happy things for me as an adult.

I'm a fan for life because my investment as a fan is secure. Of course, much of the content of the Ultima universe helps. It helps that the virtues, heroic quests, and so forth, make for games and stories you'd want to impress upon your kids and their kids.

It hasn't always been like this. When EA shut down Origin Systems (Richard "Lord British" Garriott's studio and Ultima franchise creators), and also Earth and Beyond in 2004, it was the last in a long string of events that caused me and many others to boycott them; and we harassed EA for years through various channels, until a new CEO stepped up and admitted to many of his company's mistakes--such as acquiring competing studios in order shut them down and bank their brands, and leaving fans out in the cold as so much collateral damage in their race to the top. These strategies hurt EA in the long run. If they hadn't, then we never would have heard any CEO promising a shift in direction.

But EA didn't lose face in this admittance. Far from it. Because their promise to their fans proved true.

Ironically, it was EA's soft stance toward E&B and UO emulation communities that convinced fans to end their boycotts; along with EA's willingness to work with newly acquired Mythic studios (actually work with them) to breath new life into UO and keep it running. Which is what Mythic has been allowed to do ever since, as well as making a brand new Ultima game.

Ultima Online is one of those "that game's still around?" games now, but generations of gamers have grown up playing it and many still do. By now, the number of Ultima fans who play emulated servers may equal or outnumber those on the official shards. But while EA is far from perfect, they can have my money, and a great deal of respect, for the reasons above.

NCSoft could learn a thing or two. MMOs are no longer new and novel, and we've entered that era that answers the intent of the 90-day cancellation disclaimer on all MMO boxes since the very first one. Innocence is lost. Going forward, publishers are going to have to compromise with their fans, if they don't want to lose them.

EA is a perfect model in this regard.

For executives and developers at NCSoft, "job security" is one of your biggest concerns. But for your fans, it's "game universe security". Especially for those of us who have lived in, invested in, and lost a game universe or two. In a "risk versus reward" game design sense, your new titles will continue to become increasingly overshadowed by the reputation you're building: a reputation for leaving your fans out in the cold in your race to the top.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:52:40 AM by Captain Electric »

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
Re: NCSoft Should Follow Example Set By EA Regarding Fan Loyalty
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:19:08 PM »
...leaving your fans out in the cold in your race to the bottom.

Fixed that for you. Because their actions regarding CoH, like Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa before it, are only driving away current and potential future customers, and ultimately that can only lead to them having none. And a company with no customers is a failed company. The only question is whether they realise that before they actually hit the bottom.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:33:46 PM »
In a perfect world, sure; but I don't know if that's as true as we'd like it to be. Immediately after being spurned and lied to by NCSoft, many City of Heroes fans turned around and bought NCSoft's newest shiny game. This is our world.

But, yes, NCSoft's profits have fallen; of course, whether that is realistically attributable to the publisher's disenfranchised former fans is being covered in a thread near you. But if we can't be certain exactly how dangerous it can be for a publisher to behave worse than EA did for even longer than EA did, we can at least be certain how successful a publisher can start to become after patching up its reputation with its fans.

This can take surprisingly little work.

If NCSoft one day made public and positive comments about the COH community's revival of their game through community servers (with no "But...", I should add), then NCSoft would have a loyal fan in me. For life. For the City of Heroes franchise or any other title they released that looked fun to me. My investment as a fan would be secure.

They could do better than that, sure. But they don't have to be perfect. Less adversarial is a start.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:41:55 PM by Captain Electric »

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »
EA sure does know a thing or two about fan loyalty.

"Yeah, let's take a half-baked Its A Small World ride disguised as a state-of-the-art-for-2004 MMO and slap the Bioware and Star Wars tags on it. Who cares about content, the brand names alone will be a license to print money! And just wait 'til you hear my plan for how Mass Effect 3 comes in on schedule..."

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »
I must say I'm not much of a fan of EA either. They have butchered command and conquer since westwood was shutdown. C&C 3 had huge imbalances, red alert3 was super cartoony but had 'war babes' and 4 was missing the base building feature. A c&c mmo was also canceled with westwoods demise. EA might be good to some customers but they really dont listen to feedback anymore. But I would choose them over ncsoft.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 05:00:44 PM »
I'm kinda bitter at EA regarding their cannibalization of Westwood, followed by destroying Earth & Beyond (one of my first MMOs), and ruining Dark Ages of Camelot (another of my first MMOs).  Then came Battlefield Heroes and broken promises ("We'll have a cash shop, but nothing more than cosmetic stuff and quality of life enhancements!  No stat boosters!"  Now stat boosters and gamebreakers are all over their cash shop), followed by Origin (the Satanic, Draconian, EA-specific Steam-alike), Mass Effect 3 (whose initial endings differed by color, and whose multiplayer continues to steal my friends' lives and souls), and their ever-ongoing habit of buying out and devouring games and companies I loved.

They rank up there with NCsoft among companies I absolutely loathe.

To those of you who hold up their treatment of the Ultima Online and Earth & Beyond's fanmade-server projects as a shining example of how a game should treat a fanbase, ask yourself this.  Did they deliberately let go, allowing the fanbase to do as they please?  Or did they just not care?  There's an important distinction there - one says they care about you, the second says you're beneath their notice.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 07:46:27 PM »
Fixed that for you. Because their actions regarding CoH, like Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa before it, are only driving away current and potential future customers, and ultimately that can only lead to them having none. And a company with no customers is a failed company. The only question is whether they realise that before they actually hit the bottom.
My grandmother used to have a plaque on the wall of her living room that stated, "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get". Your quote reminded me of that. Thanks. :)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:11:03 PM »
Wasn't EA ranked as "the worst company in America" by a consumer survey a year or two ago?
Edit: http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-named-worst-company-in-america-by-consumerist-6370000

I wasn't happy about getting nickle n' dimed (well, a bit more than nickles and dimes) by microtransactions when I purchased a family member Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 and discovered half the courses were locked behind microtransactions. Because it was a gift I purchased those courses, but were it for myself I'd never have done so. And then the game has the gall to advertise its additional microtransaction "pins" on the menu screen.

And EA does shut down servers for games:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-shutting-down-over-a-dozen-game-servers-6366856
http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-shutting-down-online-services-for-12-games-6401956

How 'bout that new Sim City game that's coming out, with the requirement that the player have a constant internet connection (even if they're playing single player) as a form of DRM with no value added for the consumer? What happens when the new Sim City is no longer new and is no longer turning a profit... think EA will keep the servers online? I'll stick with my old copy of Sim City 4, thanks.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »
NCSoft could follow examples set by many other successful businesses - Their global website is clearly out of date, featuring press releases dated four (4) years ago. Not one item on their global website mentions any news from 2010, 2011, or 2012. One item I saw at the main page was an expansion of City of Heroes that dated back to 2007 - 'NCsoft Expands City of Heroes, Allowing Players to Turn Back Time in Issue 11'.

To me, this shows a company that's incapable of keeping its public image up to date.
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 08:55:51 PM »
I'm not really seeing this thread, right? Please tell me I'm hallucinating.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
NCSoft could follow examples set by many other successful businesses - Their global website is clearly out of date, featuring press releases dated four (4) years ago. Not one item on their global website mentions any news from 2010, 2011, or 2012. One item I saw at the main page was an expansion of City of Heroes that dated back to 2007 - 'NCsoft Expands City of Heroes, Allowing Players to Turn Back Time in Issue 11'.

To me, this shows a company that's incapable of keeping its public image up to date.

That just shows how little interest they have for western investors, because there is no reason for a player to go to that site.  Now the Korean version of their corporate site has a constant stream of press releases detailing when new updates and game events/contests are coming, to show how they are keeping the games fresh.  News like how Lineage had over 220,000 consecutive players on recently.  It's really meant for the press and investors.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 09:38:28 PM »
I'm not really seeing this thread, right? Please tell me I'm hallucinating.

I know what you are saying.  To me EA IS the Empire.  They pillaged Origin, Maxis, drive out the founders and creative souls of studios they buy, cheat their employees of bonuses, sequel to death any game they can and basically have a work culture of that's reminiscent of the Pharaohs of Egypt.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 02:52:43 AM »
I don't like EA for one main reason. They stopped making Madden for PC. I absolutely loathe the idea of buying a game controller that has no other purpose that my computer can't do. It's silly. Still not sure why they have those other formats. Mind you, I've never played those other formats, so I certainly wouldn't have a clue why folks like them. I'm far too cheap/frugal to fork over that kind of loot just to play a game or three on. Now, if I can watch videos, surf the web, do my online banking, etc, then maybe I'd be in.

But, until they do, I guess my old Madden will have to suffice.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 08:26:12 AM »
I don't like EA for one main reason. They stopped making Madden for PC. I absolutely loathe the idea of buying a game controller that has no other purpose that my computer can't do. It's silly. Still not sure why they have those other formats. Mind you, I've never played those other formats, so I certainly wouldn't have a clue why folks like them. I'm far too cheap/frugal to fork over that kind of loot just to play a game or three on. Now, if I can watch videos, surf the web, do my online banking, etc, then maybe I'd be in.

With the way consoles are coming along, you'll probably be able to do all of those things on the nextGens that are on their way.

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 09:12:08 AM »
I really wouldn't hold EA as a shining example of anything besides being utter bastards. Bullfrog, Westwood, Maxis and before long Bioware have all been stomped into whatever line they see fit.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »
With the way consoles are coming along, you'll probably be able to do all of those things on the nextGens that are on their way.

Somehow, no matter how hard they try, I just can't see keyboards and web surfing becoming a console thing. Sure they can have the feature, but will anyone use it? As someone who has tried hooking up a PC to a big screen TV a couple of times, it feels very awkward. It's fine for reading text in video games with fonts and sizes that have been designed with couch potatoing in mind. But trying to read a website? Just, no. My eyes feel like they're bugging out trying to read an article on a screen that is 15 feet away. It's very unnatural.

And keyboards? Imagine trying to play CoH on a console. You can't very well put a mouse on your lap, so you'd need a handheld controller to actually play the game. But then everytime you want to send a message, you'd have to drop the controller and switch to the keyboard. Way, WAY too much trouble.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 12:53:30 PM »
EA's reversal is definitely something our community should strive for. Use social media to be a thorn in NCsoft's side wherever possible reminding them and any fans looking at their page about not just CoH, but also the communities of Tabula Rasa, Dungeon Runners, Auto Assault, Exteel that are all still waiting for NCsoft to release their games.

That way if we ever do see some management change at NCsoft, they'll remember us and maybe use us like EA did to repair their public image.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 02:48:30 PM »
Regarding NCSoft's decision in not only shutting down the game, but closing Paragon studios, they've completely disinvested themselves in the western market, regardless of their use of 'Blade & Soul' to try to appeal to customers over here - which means they'll sit on their copyrights to City of Heroes till it expires - in which time the concept of City of Heroes will be buried in history, obsolete and forgotten.

Do I feel it's too late to rescue City of Heroes? Not at all.

But on the same token I don't feel it's likely. CoH doesn't seem to fit with the style of many current developers.

I doubt Cryptic will touch the game, they sold it off in the first place and invested in Champions Online.

Marvel? Of course not.

DC? Nope.

Aeria Games? GPotato? Ditto..Doesn't seem their style either.

???

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:16:24 PM by LadyShin »
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
In a perfect world, sure; but I don't know if that's as true as we'd like it to be. Immediately after being spurned and lied to by NCSoft, many City of Heroes fans turned around and bought NCSoft's newest shiny game. This is our world.

Many, yes. But far from all, which is the point. No matter how big or small a loss it is, it's still a loss. The only thing the size of the loss does is control how fast they hit the bottom, not if they will. Unless they're actually pulling in new people with their new games, which as far as I've heard they're not doing so well at.

Quinch

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »
I'm... with the majority opinion on this. While Ultima might be a bright spot in their history, EA has screwed their players, their studios and their employees far too many times in far too many ways for this to even make a scratch.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 05:13:46 PM »
I know what you are saying.  To me EA IS the Empire.  They pillaged Origin, Maxis, drive out the founders and creative souls of studios they buy, cheat their employees of bonuses, sequel to death any game they can and basically have a work culture of that's reminiscent of the Pharaohs of Egypt.

From what I understand, though, they have a hella awesome new Global Community Manager.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »
NCSoft Should Follow Example Set By EA Regarding Fan Loyalty.

To me *keywords* to me, it seems that NCSoft already been following EA's example for years. EA havent exhibited much loyalty to the fans nor employees or even to companies they aquire over the years and built an empire out of it. Compared to EA, NCSoft is an amatuer when it comes to lack of loyalty to anyone outside of themselves. 

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »
I might agree with the OP's general premise of being good to your fans, and let's be frank, I don't know enough about Ultima Online since last playing it in like 7th grade and stuff, to gauge the accuracy of how good they've been to their Ultima Online fans.

But EA is right out just as terrible as NCSoft as far as killing franchises and taking dumps all over their fans goes. Maybe they've been all kisses and hugs to their Ultima Online fans, but that's the exception for them then, not the rule.

So I might agree with your ideas there, I highly disagree with your choice of representation of those ideals.

Somehow, no matter how hard they try, I just can't see keyboards and web surfing becoming a console thing. Sure they can have the feature, but will anyone use it? As someone who has tried hooking up a PC to a big screen TV a couple of times, it feels very awkward. It's fine for reading text in video games with fonts and sizes that have been designed with couch potatoing in mind. But trying to read a website? Just, no. My eyes feel like they're bugging out trying to read an article on a screen that is 15 feet away. It's very unnatural.

And keyboards? Imagine trying to play CoH on a console. You can't very well put a mouse on your lap, so you'd need a handheld controller to actually play the game. But then everytime you want to send a message, you'd have to drop the controller and switch to the keyboard. Way, WAY too much trouble.

The difference between console and computer and between television and monitor are more or less over with now as it is, and will only continue to be that way. That's one of the reasons why when people are like "PC gaming is dead because of consoles!" and "Console gaming is dead because of PCs!", they're both 'right' and yet neither are.

As long as people like getting pre-packaged pre-baked hardware to play video games will, 'consoles' will be around, even if the next generation of them is basically just a pre-packaged computer that plugs into a 30+ inch monitor and a restrictive OS.

As for font size, people are gonna realize one day that just because you can make a clear letter the size of a gnat's nads doesn't mean that people can read it. Until then, you can use Control and + or - in most browsers to increase the size of text, and use 'medium' sized icons.

I actually have an easier time reading some things on PC games on a TV than consoles because many PC games have the ability to re size the GUI by 1.1 times or change the resolution or whatever. Something that console games have so far never gotten the hang of.

Console games might be 'designed' for 30 inch televisions 6 feet away from you, but console game designers seem to think we're all eagles that can read a 3 point anti-aliased font from that distance. And there's nothing you can do to change it. It's even worse if you're on a non HDTV, like I was when I first got my X-Box 360. But at least in MOST games on a PC on your TV you can make all that stuff bigger if you need to.

But I can't honestly say there's a realistic difference between my TV and any monitors I own anymore from a hardware standpoint, especially as I haven't cared about cable TV or over air TV programming for a decade now.

Give me a 3 dollar adapter and I could get even my 'Computer Only' monitors to display crisp television broadcasts anyways. I wouldn't even need that anymore as a lot of cable boxes now use HDMI.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 05:58:14 PM »
From what I understand, though, they have a hella awesome new Global Community Manager.

Yeah, I don't know about that guy... I heard he's got this weird thing for hats. :P

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 06:47:05 PM »

Not really, that's how I played CoH the whole time I lived in Paragon City.

A number of years ago, a pastry store went out of business and as a novelty, I  bought from them a marble cafe table that resembles this one.

http://www.frenchbistrofurniture.com/product/GC531-M28/28-Marble-Color-Top-French-Brasserie-Cafe-Table.html

I found a flatscreen tv I really liked that had every connection you could need(except HDMI as it was not yet standard) and I stopped using my corner desk for computer needs. I put the big screen tv on the corner desk, brought in the cafe table, put the small pc monitor and keyboard on that and picked up a 15$ tv tray table to set the mouse, drinks and snacks upon. Even found a footrest to fit in between the two tables so I can recline a little in my captain's chair.

http://www.manchesterwood.com/solid-wood-furniture-blog/the-tv-tray-table-at-manchester-wood/

I began using the big screen to play City of Heroes and I never had any issues reading even though I suffer from astigmatism(can't see from far). It's just a matter of finding the right resolution and dpi.

Except for my first week back in 2005, I played City of Heroes using a Playstation 2 gamepad to which I mapped every function necessary(flight controls, the map, friendly and foe targeting, Follow, tray switching, etc). The only thing I needed the mouse for in combat was Inspirations and clickies like glowies and doors. The cafe table offers space enough to cradle the PS2/PC gamepad if I was just hanging around chatting, using CoH as an Instant Messenger.

Holding the gamepad in one hand and going for the mouse with the other while the keyboard is in front of me was not immediately intuitive but I very quickly adapted to it and it became second nature to me. Typing while in the middle of a brawl was common for me without losing aggro or skipping a beat.

Just because you have not found a way to do it comfortably does not mean it cannot be done comfortably. When I come sit at my computer, I feel like James Kirk sitting in his chair, with full control of the Enterprise at my fingertips.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »
Knight Light well a desk is one thing, but I'm talking about the stereotypical console setup, which is a guy reclining on a couch across the room from the TV set. You'd theoretically need both the keyboard and the mouse on your lap while using the controller. A tray-table can help with that, but they tend to sit higher (or is it the couch is lower?) than what is considered a comfortable setup for computer use.

Console gaming tends more towards the "instant-gratification" category. The more trouble they have to go through to setup their gaming experience, the less likely you'll hold their attention.

On the Kirk thing... gawd, forever I've wanted to design a chair with movable arms that fall on my lap and can hold peripherals. I've played Battlefield, so I have a bit of a similar dilemma on my computer desk with that game. I've got the joystick sitting right next to the mouse pad. I spent half of my time flying in those games so I was switching between the mouse and joystick all the time. Fortunately it wasn't too much of a hassle because I only needed to do the switching with one hand. I think what I see as a big nuisance with the console scenario, is to be holding a 2-handed gamepad and have to actually put it down on the table every time I want to type something.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 08:39:25 PM »
I think what I see as a big nuisance with the console scenario, is to be holding a 2-handed gamepad and have to actually put it down on the table every time I want to type something.

You don't really have to, my set up is only one option. Here's one for the couch potato;

http://www.everythingusb.com/veho-mimi-wireless-gamepad-keyboard-21003.html

Here's a couple for the PS3:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=M05812

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2800796784_b7a629ccfb.jpg

This issue was even tackled back during the Gamecube's generation:

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/ASCII_Keyboard_Controller

Options; YAY!

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 10:02:58 PM »
Regarding NCSoft's decision in not only shutting down the game, but closing Paragon studios, they've completely disinvested themselves in the western market, regardless of their use of 'Blade & Soul' to try to appeal to customers over here - which means they'll sit on their copyrights to City of Heroes till it expires - in which time the concept of City of Heroes will be buried in history, obsolete and forgotten.
(With apologies to LadyShin for cutting the rest of her fine post) Unless and until I succumb to Alzheimer's, coma or death, I shall NEVER forget City of Heroes, the Rogue Isles or Praetoria, nor the CoX community before and after "sunset."  (Bleh, i hate that euphemism.)  /em holdtorch

PS. Can we have an /em holdtorch added to the line of emoticons, please?
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 10:13:15 PM »
This issue was even tackled back during the Gamecube's generation:

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/ASCII_Keyboard_Controller

I can't stand portables, so tiny keyboards with buttons half the size of my thumb drive me crazy. But I really like this Gamecube concept, and what that could easily be turned into if taken further. That thing is 'almost' a cockpit flight control layout, with a joystick/throttle on either side.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 12:20:54 AM »
(With apologies to LadyShin for cutting the rest of her fine post) Unless and until I succumb to Alzheimer's, coma or death, I shall NEVER forget City of Heroes, the Rogue Isles or Praetoria, nor the CoX community before and after "sunset."  (Bleh, i hate that euphemism.)  /em holdtorch

PS. Can we have an /em holdtorch added to the line of emoticons, please?

I was quite partial to the /protest, myself.

Although, the morality icon would work great too!

(read the icon formation ;) )

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 01:19:26 AM »
@>@  Thank you for the purdy pictures, LadyShin!!  Yes, I agree the Morality stances also fit this well as does /protest.  I personally dug /em holdtorch since it was the closest to a virtual candle light vigil, and besides the notion of "carrying a torch" for CoH resonated with me also.   8)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 04:04:57 AM »
 ;D I found something nifty in google, if you're looking for something that was posted in the City of Heroes forums originally, Google -MAY- have a cached "snapshot" of it. many pages I've seen (including my character pic) were posted there. Google had a "snapshot" of the page dated back to November, before the shutdown.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 08:48:46 AM »
Knight Light well a desk is one thing, but I'm talking about the stereotypical console setup, which is a guy reclining on a couch across the room from the TV set. You'd theoretically need both the keyboard and the mouse on your lap while using the controller. A tray-table can help with that, but they tend to sit higher (or is it the couch is lower?) than what is considered a comfortable setup for computer use.

With a wireless mouse and keyboard and a good foldable tray table, you can get a decent set up that can fold away when you don't need it. You can probably get something to swing over you like a breakfast in bed thing that you could set to the left or right of your chair. Though you'd want to sit up a bit anyways to play video games or to use the keyboard for ergonomic reasons either way.

If you got a PS3 controller, you can download the MotioninJoy DS3 tool to emulate drivers to make the computer think that your PS3 controller is a X-Box 360 controller. Or alternatively a X-Box 360 controller for Windows works just as well if you happen to have one of those. Takes a bit of time to get used to remembering that say, Triangle is Y, but after that, it works like a charm for most games that are controller compatible. MotioninJoy's DS3 tool is free.

Console gaming tends more towards the "instant-gratification" category. The more trouble they have to go through to setup their gaming experience, the less likely you'll hold their attention.

Eh, I somewhat disagree with this, or the idea that PC gaming is all high brow and Console gaming is just quick fart jokes and twitch games. That might had been true in 1991, but largely isn't now. For the most part, most games are available on many consoles and computer types equally, and I mostly just buy whichever version happens to be cheaper at the time.

On the Kirk thing... gawd, forever I've wanted to design a chair with movable arms that fall on my lap and can hold peripherals.

I'm absolutely certain you can buy one, and if not, it's really just a hinge.

I've played Battlefield, so I have a bit of a similar dilemma on my computer desk with that game. I've got the joystick sitting right next to the mouse pad. I spent half of my time flying in those games so I was switching between the mouse and joystick all the time. Fortunately it wasn't too much of a hassle because I only needed to do the switching with one hand. I think what I see as a big nuisance with the console scenario, is to be holding a 2-handed gamepad and have to actually put it down on the table every time I want to type something.

In most games there's voice chat anymore, so why would you need to type anything?

I mean, I guess you might be very shy. I can relate to that. That might make it more difficult.

That's part of why I liked CoH. There wasn't a lot of need for communication for a good team to function. Anybody with at least 5 hours of game play under their belt knew their roles and how to function at it.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 09:22:30 AM »
Now, if I can watch videos, surf the web, do my online banking, etc, then maybe I'd be in.

You can do all of those except online banking.  PS3 has a web surfing app, and consoles have been able to play videos from PS 1, most consoles these days you can actually use Youtube, Netflix, Hulu you name it.  If your phone can do it, current consoles can do it too with the exception of online banking apps, which you could just do with the web surfing app.  They have key boards for consoles already too, they are small like a wii controller so you can more or less "text" on them. 

For the OP: I have to agree with the mass here.  EA is in my book of "evil publishers" they tie for first with NCsoft.  The funny thing is in Game Informer 2012 Edition EA won best publisher of the year award and got 2nd the year before. 

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 10:40:32 AM »
In most games there's voice chat anymore, so why would you need to type anything?

I mean, I guess you might be very shy. I can relate to that. That might make it more difficult.

That's part of why I liked CoH. There wasn't a lot of need for communication for a good team to function. Anybody with at least 5 hours of game play under their belt knew their roles and how to function at it.

Well, there's still the inability to keep up with 5 conversations at once. There was the team channel, global, LFG, CapeRadio, etc. SWG had voice chat, and I used it, but I still needed to type for the other channels I was on.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »
There's a small but crucial difference here. NCSoft has shut down an active MMO with a thriving community. As I understand, many of the games EA has shut down servers for were primarily single-player titles and as such are still playable in single player mode.
;D I found something nifty in google, if you're looking for something that was posted in the City of Heroes forums originally, Google -MAY- have a cached "snapshot" of it. many pages I've seen (including my character pic) were posted there. Google had a "snapshot" of the page dated back to November, before the shutdown.
Watch out - they expire after some time, so you better grab the ones you want ASAP (also: Archive.org has a complete copy of the forums, just FYI)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:01:51 PM by The Fifth Horseman »
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 02:15:19 PM »
There's a small but crucial difference here. NCSoft has shut down an active MMO with a thriving community. As I understand, many of the games EA has shut down servers for were primarily single-player titles and as such are still playable in single player mode.Watch out - they expire after some time, so you better grab the ones you want ASAP (also: Archive.org has a complete copy of the forums, just FYI)

yep but hard to keep the online community when it's offline and single player only. They will be doing what we are doing. steaming their own online community has been crushed. The difference being they can still play the single player. That difference isnt publishing but the nature of the two type of games they create. MMO, vs console.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 10:16:38 AM »
Judging by UO though.  I would have to guess that EA probably wouldn't pull the plug on a MMO.  UO is a ghost town and just shadow on the wall of its old self.  But the servers still run, and expansions still come out.  DAoC is still running too and I believe EA own them.  They did kill off Earth & Beyond though.  So maybe not. I dunno. Sometimes I don't hear my self think.

CraZboy

• Minion
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 02:00:35 AM »
I was a HUGE Ultima addict .. I mean .. I spent hours and hours .. playing on my Commodore 64 ..
But then, EA took over Origin, and for someone very loyal to a game, you can tell the difference.
With EAs takeover, I tried UO .. I lasted a day at most.

EA took over Westwood.  I was a average player of the CnC line .. but, again EA had to put their hands in the game,
... it never recovered

And of course, EAs closure of Earth and Beyond, my second MMO .. well, screw them.
These guys have no sence of business .. remember how many bands sued them because they "forgot" to get the rights to the music they used on their Football game?
EA is another company like NCSoft .. "SCREW THE PLAYERS .. lets just pretend that we are interested in their needs, and once we have all the money, we will piss them off and we will just sit here and laugh at them cause we have the control .. " or something like that .. they are motivated by $$$$$$

Westwood Studios, Origin, Paragon, and many other studios .. they should find the resources to publish their own stuff.  I know its expensive, but, these studios were all gamers making games for gamers .. and as soon as they get corporate support all hell breaks loose.

We don't play Guild Wars, or Aion.  Yeah we crap on those games, I do, and I do feel guilty.  These games are just published by NC .. there are hard people in studios similar to Westwood, or Paragon, working on trying to make their vision come to life.

City of Heroes had that .. with Cryptic Studios .. I believe that if Cryptic still owned City of Heroes, we would still be playing today.

EA sucks .. its always sucked, it will always suck!  My 2 cents

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 03:51:46 AM »
City of Heroes had that .. with Cryptic Studios .. I believe that if Cryptic still owned City of Heroes, we would still be playing today.
I honestly, highly doubt that. And this is speaking as someone who admires Cryptic to a small degree.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 04:12:13 AM »
As someone who went back and played UO on a large community server during a break from COH, I must confess I appreciate EA's lack of interest in quashing such efforts. It's not like they're hiding or anything. In fact, they point you to EA's site to download the client.

NCsoft could've benefited from following EA's example with the way to run a game worldwide--specifically by following thru with language localization efforts and by staggering server downtimes so you don't shut the door on all your Pac Rim customers around 8-11pm every week night (as was the case in the early days of COH).

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 04:19:48 AM »
I honestly, highly doubt that. And this is speaking as someone who admires Cryptic to a small degree.

I concur. I think Cryptic was trying to dump COX around the time NCSoft bought the other half of owner ship (or something of the likes).

I think either COx would have been long gone under Crypti because they needed space (whether in the way of manpower, finance etc. and other types of space) to work on that project, which I think, keyword, I think and might might be wronger than two boys in the woodline, that came to be CO in the end.