Author Topic: Freitag and Black Scorpion's Farewell  (Read 2678 times)

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
Freitag and Black Scorpion's Farewell
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:17:01 AM »
On the night of August 31st, 2012, several hours into September 1st, as Black Scorpion was spawning foes in Atlas Park, Freitag came on the Admin channel in the middle of the night to bid farewell to the community. Not being able to sleep, I was up and I recorded it for someone I care about.

To commemorate the past 60 days of misery it's been since we were ripped from home, I thought I would share their words with you.

For anyone that missed it, presented without commercial interruption;

*Freitag and Black Scorpion's Farewell*

[Admin] NCsoft_Freitag: Hello Freedom, I'd like to ask you for a few minutes of your time.
[Admin] NCsoft_Freitag: I know it's not much, but I wanted to come here and tell you how amazing it has been working with you guys. You are the best community we could have asked for, and you have made the experience for all of us who worked at Paragon Studios truly special.
 [Admin] NCsoft_Freitag: Your creativity, your passion, your drive to make us achieve more, and your love for this game is inspiring to all of us.
 [Admin] NCsoft_Freitag: I speak for everyone at Paragon Studios when I say:
[Admin] NCsoft_Freitag: YOU GUYS FREAKING ROCK AND WE LOVE YOU TO PIECES
 [Admin] Black Scorpion: LITTLE MOIST PIECES
[Admin] NCsoft_Freitag: This game would never have become what it was without YOU.
 [Admin] NCsoft_Freitag: None of us wanted this to happen this way, and we're really sorry it did.
 [Admin] NCsoft_Freitag: I hope you all will remember the amazing things that have happened over the last 10 years. The fantastic people who you have met, the great experiences you have had, the leaps and strides this game has made.
 [Admin] NCsoft_Freitag: This game has touched everyone who has played it in some way, big or small. You guys made this game what it is. We just gave you the tools. You made it. For that, we will forever be grateful.
 [Admin] NCsoft_Freitag: You guys are the best community we've ever worked with, and we want to make sure you know we love you.
 [Admin] NCsoft_Freitag: I'm sorry I can't answer all the questions you have. It's my hope that things will become clearer in the near future.
 [Admin] NCsoft_Freitag: Thank you for listening, and thank you for your time. I'd like to visit a few other servers.
[Admin] NCsoft_Freitag: Thank you all so much.

[Admin] Black Scorpion: Good Evening Freedom. Black Scorpion here.
[Admin] Black Scorpion: I want to thank you again for today and this evening, and for the years besides.
 [Admin] Black Scorpion: Ok. It is well beyond my bedtime and I am being dragged off the machine. There are still some days left, and I will hope to be back here and on other servers. All of the former devs appreciate your support very much.
 [Admin] Black Scorpion: Enjoy what remains and as you have looked after Paragon all these years, I believe in some way Paragon will look after you after you leave. This has been an emotional time, and it's difficult to dry my eyes with this claw and arm cannon... so...
 [Admin] Black Scorpion: Goodnight Freedom. Signed, Your Bud In The High Powered Armor.

Quinch

Re: Freitag and Black Scorpion's Farewell
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:24:10 AM »
Hmmm. I'm tempted to post the last day's [SaveCoH] log, when all the devs piled in.

no hero

• Lieutenant
  • Regens "do it" solo! :)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:01:41 AM »
I wake from a horrible nightmare, (am occurrence that has become more frequent since 8/31,) to a pool of sweat and grieving. As habit would dictate, I check the Titan for news to make the twisting, turning, and suffering of my short nap worthwhile. A sign of hope. Something to make "waking" from the nightmare a touch more meaningful.

I find your post.

The twisting and turning has been replaced with uncontrollable sobbing and my tears join the pool of sweat. It is horrible to see just how false my scars are. They do not show the progress of time, instead they lie about the wound just beneath. It is only after I temporarily run out of tears once more, that I smile because I realize, my grieving if nothing else, is at least proportional to what we lost.

Better Days Exploration Badge: "...he would never be able to fight crime again. Some of his friends worry that Jake spends too much time around this statue, obsessing over his better days."

@no hero, Virtue
Samantha:  "I have to ask you a question. It's a good one so think about it. If a Player and a Game love each other, but they just can't seem to get it together, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?"

Jerry:  "Never."

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 05:04:14 AM »
:'(

It's not often in this world when you know you can believe an MMO dev when they feed you lines like that: "Best community" ... "We're really sorry" ... "And we want to make sure you know we love you."

I stalked tracked down some Paragon devs on Steam and on an MMO that I play. Just to say "thanks for everything" in real time. One of them replied back to let me know that if there was ever anything they could do for me, to let them know. Of course, they'd already done so much for all of us, and I couldn't ask for anything. But still, they said that. To just another one of their players. It could have been any one of us; and they'd have meant it.  :)

We had a dev team who genuinely cared about us, not just our business. I hadn't personally witnessed that in many, many years (since the original Origin Systems). It was all such a huge and unnecessary loss. But it's really cool that we had it for the time that we did, eh?

Thanks for posting.

And please do, Quinch.

no hero

• Lieutenant
  • Regens "do it" solo! :)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 05:04:55 AM »
Oh, and Quinch...
Hmmm. I'm tempted to post the last day's [SaveCoH] log, when all the devs piled in.
Please do. I would like a copy.
Samantha:  "I have to ask you a question. It's a good one so think about it. If a Player and a Game love each other, but they just can't seem to get it together, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?"

Jerry:  "Never."

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 07:18:08 AM »
i agree that our devs were like none other

it would be nice to talk to say hi to them again, which ones use steam?

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 08:06:56 AM »
Aw man, making me misty eyed just as I'm starting my workday...  :'(
It is nice to see that most of them found new homes though, ones that will all be better for having them.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 08:23:29 AM »
i agree that our devs were like none other

it would be nice to talk to say hi to them again, which ones use steam?

Not sure if they'd want their various handles flying around everywhere.  :D

I do think it may be nice if we started a new thread for the sole purpose of saying "thanks" in various ways, whether a brief "thank you", personal story, art, whatever. Then we could direct the devs to come look at our big collective "thank you". Plus, it may make a nicer impact than a flurry of interruptions while they're trying to play or design games. :)

I know we've done this before, but I think that now, a couple of months out, it would be nice to let them know that we're still just as grateful as ever for them.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 11:24:09 AM »
I took a screenshot when Freitag came on. (what kind of weirdo takes screenshots of the chat window? ._.)

?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »
(what kind of weirdo takes screenshots of the chat window? ._.)

The kind who has awesome chats worth remembering 8)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 09:42:14 PM »
Thank you, Knight Light, and everyone else whose comment appears above this one (mine.)  I cannot imagine a better, finer dev team.  Their caring and regard for our community felt palpable.  2 or 3 tells traded with War Witch/Melissa Bianco during our first gathering in APs 1-33 on Virtue then overflow servers (thanks again, TonyV!) made all the difference during those horrible first days and nights.  Ditto for the devs who popped in on our final night and shared the end of the world with us.  (Man, I still feel sorry for Hitstreak doing what he had to on 11/30/12.)

Yes, I think the idea of creating another Thank You CoH Dev Team thread would be just great!!!!  I know my admiration and respect for our devs remains constant; nor would I mind voicing it in print again, where one or more of them could at their convenience perhaps revisit the love and appreciation this gaming community has for them and the world they built.  I know my world is not the same without it.  /em holdtorch
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »
I had an idea way back in the day that became the super-side kick system. I said why can't we to stop power-leveling set missions to the level of the holder and let all others not equal to or above be a -1 level.

That is exactly what they did and I was completely poleaxed they took my idea and used it completely. It was my one and only game input used and I was amazed when I proposed it not a single person found fault with it on the boards. Imagine my shock at logging in one day and finding them using it!

The fact that the Devs often actually listened and even replied in PM's was amazing. I just wish we had the people we had later on to fix the PvP system. I had some conversations for using the AE to let the players balance the PvP allowing powers and affects editable in the AE setting. This would have turned loose 60,000 people trying to fix it not just 20 devs or the 3 or 4 assigned to PvP.

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 11:26:22 PM »
Man, just when I think I've cried my last time over this.... Seeing this makes me all teary eyed again--and brings back just how much I miss it. I can't put in words how much I want Paragon back. I've been ill on and off since November, largely due to the inability to help manage my ridiculous work expectations. Many a night all I've wanted to do was to go run amuck in a Mayhem Mission. Or thrash a group of skulls. Or build a new toon and roll out... But I can't. And worst of all, there's few I can talk to that understand why.

We did lose--and yet... in a way... we didn't. We made an impression on the Devs--and on each other. We're still here, trying to help each other cope. And that means something. I think Scorpion is right--Paragon has somehow found us--and keeps us hoping. And while Hope is frail, it's hard to kill. I find myself on the edge of giving up all the time--but I have to hope. I /have/ to. Because if I admit defeat, I have to admit Paragon's really gone--and it's not /really/ gone. It's in my heart--and my memories--and in my dark moments I close my eyes and fly through the skies--and hope one day I can log in one more time and do it again.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 01:12:17 AM »
Man, just when I think I've cried my last time over this.... Seeing this makes me all teary eyed again--and brings back just how much I miss it. I can't put in words how much I want Paragon back. I've been ill on and off since November, largely due to the inability to help manage my ridiculous work expectations. Many a night all I've wanted to do was to go run amuck in a Mayhem Mission. Or thrash a group of skulls. Or build a new toon and roll out... But I can't. And worst of all, there's few I can talk to that understand why.

We did lose--and yet... in a way... we didn't. We made an impression on the Devs--and on each other. We're still here, trying to help each other cope. And that means something. I think Scorpion is right--Paragon has somehow found us--and keeps us hoping. And while Hope is frail, it's hard to kill. I find myself on the edge of giving up all the time--but I have to hope. I /have/ to. Because if I admit defeat, I have to admit Paragon's really gone--and it's not /really/ gone. It's in my heart--and my memories--and in my dark moments I close my eyes and fly through the skies--and hope one day I can log in one more time and do it again.
Dear Menrva,
Back in the my childhood and young adulthood, which was prior to personal computers, one's own imagination and dreams were mostly what one had.  Apart from the occasional film like The Wizard of Oz 1939, most movies and television shows like the original Star Trek series and such often had special effects that, while cool, were hardly seamless; hence my generation's appreciation for the original Star Wars movie with Industrial Light & Magic's innovations, and later the spectacular effects of The Matrix.  Films such as Shrek and Ice Age weren't possible prior to all the development in animation technology.  It is part of why I often prefer reading novels to watching movies, since one makes up the movie in one's head when reading.  Anyhow, enough of my rambling digressions; you are entirely correct (imo): Paragon City lives on in each of our hearts, and the experiences we had playing can never be taken from us - hence why old gaming friends from tabletop and LARP and I often enjoy recounting our "war stories" and adventures to one another, recalling with fondness the fun times we shared.   I'm sorry you've been ill and I hope you now enjoy good health.  I can certainly appreciate why after a long day of work and related pressures one would want to blow off steam, especially in the MMORPG one had come to love.  In fact I think I am kinda lucky in having gotten into MMORP gaming so late.  My generation didn't have this diversion until the mid 1990's.  I still recall a very unsophisticated computer Star Trek game that I could play after hours in high school, where via a telephone modem (this is mid 1970's so no cell phone tech etc) and the game was played on a teletype - no graphics or monitor, nothing but keyboard characters on paper.

Your name looks like a clever way to spell the name of the Greco-Roman goddess of Wisdom, Minerva.  Don't kid yourself, we lost, tho yet may prevail.  At minimum, as you note none can take your experiences of playing CoH from you.  I hope you have found new recreations.  Back in my 20s and 30's I subscribed to a value of Work Hard/Play Hard and my social set and I took our recreation seriously, from tabletop gaming (dice, paper, pen and our collective imaginations and story telling! What inexpensive entertainment) to cards (i like bridge) to karate classes to music parties, discussion groups (we liked F&SF lit) etc. together.  While the internet enriches us and brings the people of the planet closer together in understanding, there is still a whole world out there offline.  I am not quite housebound but nearly, and have found online discussion groups (forums) as well persons around the world to Skype with to have the video phone calls shown only on kid's TV shows (The Jetsons - guess I'll believe wiki, I thought it was George Jettson.)  Books, movies and music abound at your public library as well as online.  I am increasingly surfing youtube to hear what Generation X and others have to say from Europe and elsewhere on various topics.  You might even consider a yoga or tai chi class.  Healthy mind in a Healthy body and all that.  I hope more of your friends can empathize from what you write or tell them.  Losing CoH was personally devastating, and it would have been worse for me, but I'd already experienced deep loss and grieving, a silver lining from decades of living.  I know that for many younger women and men this loss will have been their first experience with a significant loss.  I would extend to you, if welcome, my deepest, most sincere condolences.  Harvesting silver linings from grief isn't a fun experience, but I think you already have things in perspective - and as the old saying goes, when life hands you lemons, make lemonade!  Best wishes to you in life's journey!   :D
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine