Author Topic: One Thing I Miss  (Read 19922 times)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
Re: One Thing I Miss
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2013, 11:51:37 PM »
One thing I really miss, and didn't think I'd ever miss or never thought about it much, from City of Heroes were decent emotes and /em boombox.

It seems silly, I guess. But I really find that, I've been playing some other games to pass the time, and any time I'd get frustrated (but not angry) at waiting for something or another, I really missed good, varied persistent emotes.

I've found playing a game, while waiting for one team member or another to stop juggling their inventories or the stores or vault or.. whatever, I would default to Popdance or Boombox, rather than have my character stand there like the emotionally dead soul they are.

And I really miss it being gone. Like 75% of the emotes in most other games don't do anything other than "Osborn dances with Bob!" in the chat window, or they last a second or so before you have to keep putting them back up.

And for some strange reason, and it's probably just me, but I really... really... miss those.

The amount of times I've idly typed in /em boombox in other games while waiting for somebody to stop juggling what pair of pants has better numbers is surprisingly a lot.

I actually miss this quite a bit my self.  Other MMO's just don't seem to have the huge variety of /em that City of Heroes did.  For example the /em boombox had like what 10 different songs you could play on it?  Some day Primantis
I miss helping lowbies gain a few quick levels by tanking through +4 x8 mobs on Decoy, my favourite scrapper, to the tune of old wrestling entrance themes.

I miss doing this too my tank Flaming Duffle-bag (originally known as Flaming D-bag but of course changed) would just find a group of lowbies and throwing them a few levels just so they knew COH was full of kind fellow gamers that could and would help you out.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2013, 12:24:21 AM »
For example the /em boombox had like what 10 different songs you could play on it?
Twenty-five songs, actually.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2013, 12:27:38 AM »
I admit that I spent the bulk of my time in missions and very little on the more social aspects of the game, so I didn't really notice, but the /em list was a work in progress, right? I mean, it wasn't that diverse out of Beta, was it?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2013, 12:48:40 AM »
I admit that I spent the bulk of my time in missions and very little on the more social aspects of the game, so I didn't really notice, but the /em list was a work in progress, right? I mean, it wasn't that diverse out of Beta, was it?

They added lots of emotes as they went along but when I started near the end of Issue 3, the list was already fairly extensive. I can state that whatever emotes CoH had coming out of the gate were worlds better than all the emotes DCUO and Champions combined have today.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:33 AM »
That's a fact. Champions is missing even the most basic of emotes, four years after launch.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2013, 01:40:31 AM »
That's a fact. Champions is missing even the most basic of emotes, four years after launch.

I didnt even bother using any until later and seen a few videos of the new dancing ones near the end . In CO I dont think I used a single emote besides the Crank dat Superman one a couple of times. The rest of the emotes are "meh" to me in both games.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2013, 01:58:28 AM »
I didnt even bother using any until later and seen a few videos of the new dancing ones near the end . In CO I dont think I used a single emote besides the Crank dat Superman one a couple of times. The rest of the emotes are "meh" to me in both games.

I didn't even go that far, I just chatted with a couple of girls for an hour, watched as they ran through the list of emotes and decided "Yup, I was right the first eleven times; I want nothing to do with this shitty game."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2013, 02:06:17 AM »
I didn't even go that far, I just chatted with a couple of girls for an hour, watched as they ran through the list of emotes and decided "Yup, I was right the first eleven times; I want nothing to do with this pancakey game."

What does this pancakey thing means in that context? Been seeing it a while lately, used google and besides the thin, flat, round cake prepared from a batter and cooked on a hot griddle or frying pan food definition, I dont get it used in the context.

Now Urban dictionary meanings dont seem to fit. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pancake

And it did not show up in paragonwiki.com-before someone tries to jump down my throat again for not checking there. I checked this time and it isnt there.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2013, 02:16:32 AM »
It's an auto-text replacement for the expletive that is a synonym for defecate, as unicorn is a replacement for the fantasy creatures that live under bridges.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2013, 02:19:22 AM »
It's an auto-text replacement for the expletive that is a synonym for defecate, as unicorn is a replacement for the fantasy creatures that live under bridges.

Oooooooh that explains it. Thanks.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2013, 03:31:08 AM »
Yeah, it's possible that like 10% of my posts contain the word that "pancake" auto-replaces. What can I say; I'm a lifelong pacifist that finally has a reason to be royally pissed off.

Quinch

« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2013, 04:16:25 AM »
Oooooooh that explains it. Thanks.

That, in turn, was inspired by a post in the Rude Tells thread, I think. That or a thread about a particularly funny exchange with a GM, I forget.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2013, 12:14:57 PM »
That, in turn, was inspired by a post in the Rude Tells thread, I think. That or a thread about a particularly funny exchange with a GM, I forget.

Yeah, I forget the exact reason but it was definitely a mod replacing some pottymouth language. The one who started it was either Ocho, Freitag, or possibly Moderator Fabulous while he was there.

And it doesn't even have to auto-replace with me, I just type out "pancake" now. Way more funny than really swearing. :D

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »
I loved alakazamreact when it turned you into a pumpkin. That was great.

I had no interest in turning into a lamp or table though, so when that change happened I stopped using the emote.

You know what I miss? Being able to make any costume I wanted, and I could wear it anytime without it affecting my stats. The game I am in now, how you look = your stats and I HATE IT. Also, having to go to some NPC to "repair your armor" SUCKS. God what a waste of time.
Which is something I love in TSW, clothes are entirely cosmetic - you still need to repair your gear if you die though. (it's just invisible gear :P)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »
Which is something I love in TSW, clothes are entirely cosmetic - you still need to repair your gear if you die though. (it's just invisible gear :P)
The weapons aren't invisible, but yeah. clothing is entirely cosmetic.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »
Yeah, it's possible that like 10% of my posts contain the word that "pancake" auto-replaces. What can I say; I'm a lifelong pacifist that finally has a reason to be royally pissed off.

Just remember that it's all just a hot, steaming pile of fewmets...

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2013, 01:57:35 AM »
Yeah, I forget the exact reason but it was definitely a mod replacing some pottymouth language. The one who started it was either Ocho, Freitag, or possibly Moderator Fabulous while he was there.

And it doesn't even have to auto-replace with me, I just type out "pancake" now. Way more funny than really swearing. :D
A couple years ago (more or less) on the CoH forums one of the mods altered the language filter so that instead of each letter of a censored being replaced by an asterisk it was replaced by the word "pancake". This wasn't in force for an entire day, but during that time it meant that if, say, "unicorn" was a filtered word it would show up as "pancakepancakepancakepancakepancakepancakepancake" instead of "*******". There was a brief period of puzzlement by forum posters over what was happening. Then hilarity ensued. (Or at least mild amusement.) Walls of pancakes sprang up in many threads.

i suspect that the intent was to replace the banned words with "pancake", but since the filter worked by replacing individual letters of a banned word with the chosen character(s) all banned words became a long string of pancakes.
So far so good. Onward and upward!