Author Topic: Alphas cancelled.  (Read 4347 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Alphas cancelled.
« on: January 25, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »
Just found out Alphas can canceled by SyFy.  Another case of "superhero" show not bringing in enough ratings to justify production cost.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Alphas cancelled.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »
Haven't really watched it since the first season.  I started to hate most of the characters early on, and by the end of the first season I didn't care for the X-men-like vibe I was getting from the story.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:07:21 PM »
Aww, man! I really liked that show. At first it was a soft of guilty pleasure for me, but by the end of the second season, the stories became really well written and engaging. I am going to miss it. :(

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 07:26:29 PM »
Yes it went from "freak of the week" to a "Charles Vs Erik" vibe this last season.

It's probably for the best because if they did bring it back with a reduced budget, because of how the 2nd season ended with everyone on the team except for Gary possibly dead, I would be afraid they would pull an "Airwolf" and recast the show or only rehire the cheap actors thus killing off Rosen.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:39:04 PM by FatherXmas »

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:35:52 PM »
You are right. The show would not exist without Rosen. His incarnation from the second season makes for one of my most favorite characters to appear in a TV series in recent years and was one of the main reasons to watch Alphas.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 03:24:14 AM »
Boooooo! >:(

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 05:59:17 AM »
My information comes directly from Tanya Huff, who worked with SyFy Channel briefly.  Just as an FYI, "SyFy" is actually run by the same execs that run the Travel Channel.  They do not understand, enjoy, or appreciate fantasy, science fiction, or the superhero genres; to their minds, the cheapest possible "reality ghost-hunter" show is preferable to a slightly more expensive fiction series.  Tanya basically had to give away her property in order to see it made into a show, and it was promptly canceled when they got a chance to run John Edwards' "medium" show cheaper than her series.  This is why the Harry Dresden show also got canceled, despite its valiant effort.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 06:25:10 AM »
Just as an FYI, "SyFy" is actually run by the same execs that run the Travel Channel.  They do not understand, enjoy, or appreciate fantasy, science fiction, or the superhero genres; to their minds, the cheapest possible "reality ghost-hunter" show is preferable to a slightly more expensive fiction series.

This pretty much explains why the "SyFy" channel has been (despite a few minor exceptions) an absolute joke for years. Basically the treatment of significant sci-fi on SyFy is as bad as what something like the Military channel would be like if it were run by Gandhi or the Playboy channel were it run by the Puritans.  :(
CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 07:02:49 AM »
My information comes directly from Tanya Huff, who worked with SyFy Channel briefly.  Just as an FYI, "SyFy" is actually run by the same execs that run the Travel Channel.  They do not understand, enjoy, or appreciate fantasy, science fiction, or the superhero genres; to their minds, the cheapest possible "reality ghost-hunter" show is preferable to a slightly more expensive fiction series.  Tanya basically had to give away her property in order to see it made into a show, and it was promptly canceled when they got a chance to run John Edwards' "medium" show cheaper than her series.  This is why the Harry Dresden show also got canceled, despite its valiant effort.

Hmm.  The only work Ms Huff is credited with on IMDB (which of course isn't always accurate or complete) was Blood Ties and that was aired on Lifetime in 2007 not SyFy (or SciFi).  John Edwards came out like in 2002 on SciFi.

Of course I'm talking here in the US.  I have no idea about "SciFi" channel in other countries.  It's interesting that the Science channel in the US (owned by Discovery) is currently running both Firefly and Fringe.

Lifetime is co-owned by A+E Networks and Disney.  The Travel Channel is owned by Scripps Networks Interactive on Cox Communications (65/35 split) along with Food Network.  SyFy is owned by NBCUniversal Cable which also owns Bravo, E!, Oxygen, USA, G4 and a few other minor channels. 

I can understand the confusion, big cable network conglomerates are all alike ... big confusing corporate things driven only by ratings and production costs with quality only a happy coincidence.  It would also not surprise me that in TV entertainment that executives flitter between various networks in their career.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 05:20:42 PM »
  It would also not surprise me that in TV entertainment that executives flitter between various networks in their career.

The idea being to move on before the consequences of your actions become apparent.

Kederren

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 07:54:59 AM »
In my humble experience, that is the way of all corporate structures.  The guy who can humbly, steadily crank out 100 widgets a day(FOREVER!) gets overlooked for the guy who comes in, cranks up the speed to 150/day, thumps his chest in pride, points at 'his' accomplishment and gets promoted(AGAIN!) before the consequences of the increased speed become apparent. Usually, when the machines break down because they can't handle the increased speed, or workers get burnt out, pissed off, and leave. Then the original guy gets blamed for the machine failures, delays for retraining, loss of production and inability to lead.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:53:48 AM »
Yeah, I found out not that long ago myself... sad news, I liked that show.
And I always figured that something would happen at the start of season 3 that either revived the whole cast, or some time travel arc where it got stopped before it happened.
Of course with it cancelled this means it ended pretty much the same way as V... with everyone dead... *sighs*