Author Topic: Star Wars Episode 7 to be directed by......  (Read 11042 times)

Mental Maden

• Boss
Star Wars Episode 7 to be directed by......
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »
JJ Abrams.  Hmmmm, interesting.  Will this bring Trek and Wars fans together or further fuel the fires of nerd rivalry?

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-film-exclusive-74596

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 to be directed by......
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »
I disliked his first Star Trek enough that I'm not even interested in the second one. Though I don't know if the problem there was really his direction or the script, which I wouldn't have liked no matter who was directing. And his film history as a director is so short that it's pretty hard to give a good appraisal of his capabilities. The film just seemed like a generic action flick to me though and didn't feel like Star Trek at all. And the only moment that really stuck out in my mind was, "Damn, they actually remembered that Sulu is an accomplished fencer."

golemjoe

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:24:48 PM »
I disliked his first Star Trek enough that I'm not even interested in the second one. Though I don't know if the problem there was really his direction or the script, which I wouldn't have liked no matter who was directing. And his film history as a director is so short that it's pretty hard to give a good appraisal of his capabilities. The film just seemed like a generic action flick to me though and didn't feel like Star Trek at all. And the only moment that really stuck out in my mind was, "Damn, they actually remembered that Sulu is an accomplished fencer."

I didn't care for the fact that they did the whole parallel universe thing, rather than try to work with what they had developed previously (yes yes I know it was decades worth of material that they had to stay within the lines of..).  It worked but it was a cheap way out IMO and greatly diminished the enjoyment I got out of watching.  "What .. blow up Vulcan?!?  When was that?!?"

So no, I don't get the feeling that Abrams was a real hardcore fan.. at least from that movie.  Would he do something similar to Star Wars?  I guess we'll see..

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:49:03 PM »
"What .. blow up Vulcan?!?  When was that?!?"

The destruction of Vulcan is a perfect example of the "cater to the lowest common denominator" crap that entertainment is becoming more and more famous for. Of all the things that a time traveler could screw up in the Trek universe, there is literally NOTHING that they could do that would make the characters more appealing to an impulsive "cave-man" audience. Vulcans first made contact with humans in a feudal post WWIII wasteland full of rivaling factions. And though humans still maintain a lot of their emotional drives in the future centuries, it's Vulcan philosophy that helps the humans get past their petty differences and work towards a better tomorrow. Eliminate that, and you eliminate the one critical moment in Star Trek history that made human civilization "better" than it is now. And instead, humanity ventures out into the interstellar neighborhood without a mentoring race who has been down that same self-destructive war-like path ages ago.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 12:18:14 AM »
Boy, there's an awful amount of lens flair post Empire.  Poor quality control I tell ya!  Once you remove the threat of disintegration, the workers just slack off.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 05:38:37 AM »
So no, I don't get the feeling that Abrams was a real hardcore fan.. at least from that movie.  Would he do something similar to Star Wars?  I guess we'll see..

I've seen interviews with Abrams where he directly admitted he was always a long-time Star Wars fan who barely even liked or knew anything about Star Trek before he got involved with it.  According to him much of the creative vision that he applied towards Star Trek was to make it as Star Wars-y as he thought he could get away with.  I guess we have to take his word on that - at the very least it could explain why he thought he had to blow up a peaceful planet with a make-shift Romulan Death Star. ;)

Star Trek was for Abrams simply a high-profile Hollywood project that obviously helped his career along but was never something he was truly passionate about.  In fact given the circumstances one could almost say that he used Star Trek as a stepping-stone towards his ultimate goal of being considered worthy to helm a new Star Wars movie.  I hope he's up to that challenge and for our sakes perhaps he'll become so busy with Star Wars that Star Trek will be handed off to someone else who actually has a clue about how Star Trek works.  For what it's worth I actually like both Star Wars and Star Trek, but I like them for different reasons and I didn't really care for Abrams' ham-fisted attempt to make one of them too much like the other.
CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 07:02:11 PM »
I hope he's up to that challenge and for our sakes perhaps he'll become so busy with Star Wars that Star Trek will be handed off to someone else who actually has a clue about how Star Trek works.

Unfortunately, in order to do that, Paramount will have to do something that I don't think they've EVER had to do with Star Trek before, which is to completely drop a project from CANON. Pretend the reboot never happened.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 03:13:24 AM »
Oh, pshaw.  As if Star Trek in TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT was going all 'canon' in the first place.   TOS set the canon and even they called Starfleet and the United Federation of Planets different things in the first few episodes.

It's entertainment.  I liked ST:2009.  A lot.  Thought they did a pretty fun job of it.  And I'm a pretty addicted Trekkie myself.  The people, besides Abrams, that did that are still available TO DO THAT again, and I bet Paramount just... lets that happen, and picks one of the others to direct it.  I, for one, hope they pick one who's not so fond of the flares...

However.  Trek, to me, was *never* meant to be movies, but a series on the tube.  Movies are *supposed* to be bombastic for a couple of hours... series can do that one or two in the show, but then deal with the characters, canon, etc, ad nausem.

This is why ST:2009 is a fun ride... but as a series show, it of course sucked because it went against all canon... but then, they were completely destroying, a la Back to the Future II, the 'canon timeline', and you just have to throw all that out from the moment Nero's ship shows up and blows the hell outta the Kelvin...

There is just ONE thing that bugs me about the 2009 movie and that is this:  George Samuel "Sam" Kirk.  What happened to Kirk's older brother? http://www.startrek.com/database_article/george-samuel-kirk

Where was he when Winona was on the Kelvin with George?  Back home?  This is not explained, and that, friends, THAT bugs the HELL outta me... Of course, he could have been just back home with the grandparents... but then why would *Winona* be on the Kelvin, pregnant, in the first dang place?!

And another thing.  Since when did Orion girls get to be Starfleet Cadets in Kirk's time?  I'm betting that's retro'd as something to do with the Klingons gettin' hold of Nero's ship and beatin' the hell outta the Orions or something, and so they scattered... and there a green chick goes, to Starfleet Academy?!

Huh.  I hate ST:2009 now.  Hell yeah, I agree.  Abrams sucks, frack his flares, and that movie sucks.  ST:ID will suck a black hole's worth, and Star Wars 7, 8 and 9 will suck so much MORE THAN ANYTHING GEORGE LUCAS DID TO 1-3, the UNIVERSE will IMPLODE.

You heard it here first, watch.

---

I am a sarcastic leaf on the wind.  Watch how I soar.  I'm sure Fanboi Abrams will make SW 7/8/9 into awesome spectacles worthy of Lord of the Rings/Titanic type accolades and such.  Maybe even a best picture Oscar for the 8th and 9th, and they *sweep* every major award in one of their years.  Or not.  Time will tell.

---

As far as blowing up Vulcan... yeah, well... Nero was nutz, see the BTTF:II thing, and voila, it works.

Vulcans *were not needed* by the time that happened.  That is not to belittle their importance, but it is to say a thing that is a truth: The argument about Vulcans being a steering factor was true... in the past.  In ST:2009, the establishment of 'how things are meant to be' in the Federation and Starfleet is now a set of rules, and Vulcan's influence is heavily diluted due to the Andorian, Tellurite, and of course Human, among quite a few other species, being involved in the state of affairs.  And there will be Vulcans, they are going to a colony world... it just won't be Vulcan, the planet.  They'll still have a voice.  And that voice will be as strong, because Sarek and a few others will still be there, helping to guide the Federation along it's new path, as yet undetermined...

The ongoing mission will still go on.  Just took a left is all.

/I, for one, am SO looking forward to Star Trek Into Darkness... Hurry up, May 17th, 2013!

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 05:24:28 AM »
I, for one, hope they pick one who's not so fond of the flares...

I didn't notice the flares while I was watching the movie.  Then after I saw it I saw everyone complaining about it.  Then I saw a documentary on the making of it and they showed them putting together a shot of (IIRC) the Enterprise and I got to see the shot with and without the flares and I said to myself "to heck with everyone complaining about the flares".

I'm looking out the window at a parking lot on a cold night and nearly every car is catching the light to glint, and the street lights are starbursting.  Light reflects and scatters in interesting ways, it's not just a tool for flat illumination.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 10:58:33 PM »

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 08:02:23 AM »
:P ;D
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »
Sounds like talks have started with Hamil, Fisher, and Ford about potentially reprising their roles in Episode VII.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/21/mark-hamill-star-wars-episode-vii/

I've always assumed that Hamil would be the easy sell if this ever came up.  I'd always thought that Ford would be a little harder to convince, but after The Crystal Skull I think I might be wrong about that.  Fisher, on the other hand, is likely to be very hard to convince.  If they do manage to land her, I think it would be safe to say that the film is going to be fairly well done.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 02:36:39 PM »
I would think that it is something they'll live without... I mean, frankly, while it'd be nifty to see Luke and Han and Leia, and Chewie, don't forget Peter Mayhew now, back in their roles... they're minor importance, I'd think, except in jump starting the third trilogy, and their kids/coworkers/etc, ad nausem is going to be the story carriers.  What do THEY do in this new set of stories?

If they rely upon Luke and Han (I'd suspect that'd be what some would want) I don't think they'd get as good a story.  It's time for them to be mentors to the new crew of kids.

My take, but there it is.

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 03:10:39 PM »
It's time for them to be mentors to the new crew of kids.

It's pretty clear that if -any- of the original Star Wars actors show up in these new movies it'll be as much older mentor-type appearances akin to what we saw Leonard Nimoy play in the last Star Trek movie.  I wouldn't expect to see Hamill, Ford and/or Fisher appear on screen more than few minutes tops because as you say these new movies are going to be all about the "next generation" of characters whoever they turn out to be.

But I do think the idea of the original actors potentially coming back to make cameo appearances as their own older versions is particularly prophetic considering that they've been talking about doing that for 30+ years now.  I distinctly remember (as far back as the early 1980s) Lucas outlining his "grand plan" to not only eventually make an Ep. 7, 8 and 9 but to have Hamill reprise his role as a 50-60 year old Skywalker when Hamill himself would actually be 50-60 years old.  Sure the details have changed a bit since then (i.e. Lucas selling Star Wars to Disney) but the idea that Old Hamill might finally appear as Old Luke is something I've been waiting decades for. ;)
CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 07:25:43 PM »
*Looks at Cobra Man's post*

>_>;

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 09:20:22 PM »
I've always assumed that Hamil would be the easy sell if this ever came up.  I'd always thought that Ford would be a little harder to convince, but after The Crystal Skull I think I might be wrong about that.  Fisher, on the other hand, is likely to be very hard to convince.  If they do manage to land her, I think it would be safe to say that the film is going to be fairly well done.

I'm not sure where this film is supposed to be going. Is Disney throwing out the 'official' storyline with the New Jedi Order and making their own? From what I remember, the NJO was rather Luke-centric (since he founded the thing), and didn't start long after RotJ. So, Luke shouldn't look much older.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 01:54:19 AM »
I'm not sure where this film is supposed to be going. Is Disney throwing out the 'official' storyline with the New Jedi Order and making their own? From what I remember, the NJO was rather Luke-centric (since he founded the thing), and didn't start long after RotJ. So, Luke shouldn't look much older.
Even if they aren't throwing out that storyline, is it possible that they're picking up some time after the new order has been established?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

fdbryant3

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 02:57:04 AM »
I will be very surprised if they use anything from the expanded universe except by coincidence (such as Han and Leia get married and have kids - who might be named after EU counterparts).  Otherwise I think the post-ROTJ EU as it exist now is going to be scrapped and future books and other media will conform to what happens in the movies.

BTW, NJO happens 21 years after RotJ.

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 05:19:55 AM »
Well, wait... that's... an interesting take on things.

I would have sworn that a lot of the books are actually considered canon.  As such, the movies should just reflect that, I would think.

Unless JJ pulls out a time travel device plot that screws that up in the same way as ST:2009 and BTTF... the books then become invalid as canon if they don't. Unlike the shows and movies of Trek, which are still valid, but just a different timeline, which opens up all new avenues of exploration of Trek... supposedly.

But if those books become non-canon because they wanna make more movies?  What will the fans do...?

I smell revolt.  Smells like... well, I dunno.  Hm.

/Probably smells revolting, come to think about it...