Author Topic: Novel: Libromancer by Jim C Hines  (Read 2387 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Novel: Libromancer by Jim C Hines
« on: January 15, 2013, 03:27:58 AM »

The basis premise of Libromancer is that there are certain people who possess a peculiar kind of magic. With it, they can summon items from books. There are a few catches: nothing can be drawn out of a book that is larger than the book itself, the book must have a certain level of popularity, and certain books are "locked" because of the danger they represent: for instance, you cannot pull the One Ring out of the Lord of the Rings series because the Master Libromancer (Johannes Guttenberg-- THE Johannes Guttenberg) has "locked" those books-- an attempt to do so could have very unpleasant results for the Libromancer who tries.

That being said, novice Libromancers reaching into the wrong books have created over 30 strains of vampirism with the latest being "Sparklers" who come from where you might guess.

Our narrator so far reminds me of someone that I'd write-- quite possibly because the actual author seems to have pretty much the same literary tastes that I do. He's referenced everything from A.C. Crispin's Star Trek novels to Robert Asprins' myth books and even Piers Anthony. He even knew of John Norman's "Gor" series. He's had the character grab everything from a science fiction ray gun to Moly from the Odyssey.

(If you don't know of John Norman's "Gor" series, you probably don't want to seek it out. The first book or two are a relatively tame John Carters of Mars pastiche. The rest of the series turns into softcore S&M of a male chauvinistic kind...)

I'm curious if anyone else I know has read it.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
Re: Novel: Libromancer by Jim C Hines
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:41:19 AM »
I haven't read that book... YET.

I read other Jim C Hines my Favorites are Goblin Quest, Goblin Hero, and last of the set Goblin War.  Even read most of the GOR books from John Norman.  Yeah those Gor books aren't top notch.  Right now I'm on alliterative realities/time stories.  The Destroyermen Stories from Taylor Anderson.

On that note I know what book I be getting next to read.  now I must go to Barns and Nobles website to see if libromancer is on nookbooks.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »
Sounds interesting. *puts it on reading list*
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:55:33 PM »
Finished it.

A pretty enjoyable read with some stunts you don't normally see in a fantasy novel.  :)

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:41:40 PM »
Sounds interesting, and a little bit similar to an idea a friend of mine and I had tossed around years ago when we were in Highschool...

Might have to read this one.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:13:23 AM »
I really enjoyed the 'Princess' series so I'll definitely pick this one up and give it a see.