Author Topic: NPC Idle Chatter - is it in the client?  (Read 2587 times)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
NPC Idle Chatter - is it in the client?
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:40:28 PM »
One of the best things about CoH was the idle chatter and text responses of NPCs.  Some quality lore was buried in those.  With the game now down, we can no longer use it as a reference.

However, that got me thinkin' - are the NPC chatter lines stored in the client?  Can we perhaps data-mine the client to get them out and read them again?

I personally wouldn't know where to begin, but there's gotta be folks on here who know better than I do.  I kinda want to compile a Praetorian Clockwork dictionary.

redgiant

• Lieutenant
Re: NPC Idle Chatter - is it in the client?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:59:57 PM »
Try a pigg viewer, a lot of message text for the UI menus and dialog for localization is in the .pigg files. Not sure about all of the NPC chatter but I can't imagine them downloading that text on-the-fly at runtime.

misc.pigg has a lot of text like the above, for example.

Rule #1 of MMO network code is: Don't send it if you can install it on the client.

It's not inviolable, but to deviate would mean there is a big benefit to counter the disadvantage of further burdening the server with Stuff It Shouldn't Have To Do while still coping with all the Stuff It Has To Do. An advantage like dynamic branching decision making and associated text that they only update in the server without needing you to patch anything, at the expense of having to download it lazily at login, map load or whatever event makes the most sense for locality, prediction and perf.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:46:52 AM »
No, NPC dialog is not in the client. It arrives over a chat channel just like if a player were talking in /local, except it's the NPC channel.

For a while, however it WAS in the client, along with mission briefing text. Apparently this was an accident and those localizations were not supposed to end up in the client files. It was definitely there at GR release and disappeared somewhere around issue 21.

So if you can dig up an old version, you might be able to find some of what you're after.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 06:33:11 AM »
For a while, however it WAS in the client, along with mission briefing text. Apparently this was an accident and those localizations were not supposed to end up in the client files. It was definitely there at GR release and disappeared somewhere around issue 21.

So if you can dig up an old version, you might be able to find some of what you're after.

So... a really good place to start would be the install you get from the GR edition disc?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 02:02:49 PM »
If you have one, clientmessages-en.bin is the file you're after.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »
Drat.  The only installation disc I have is the Good vs. Evil edition from way back when.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 05:58:44 PM »
Well I could install mine and send you that file out of it. One question first. For purposes of Icon and... possible future things... I don't need the game installed, right? Just keep a copy of the main folder and things can run from in there.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 07:07:14 PM »
Some of us kept historical copies of the \piggs folder as each issue came out..

Issue 20 clientmessages-en.bin

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »
That works too :)

Archiving type people are awesome. They really are.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »
Thanks for that, Blondeshell!

;D
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive