Author Topic: At what point did City of Heroes become more than "just a game" to you?  (Read 7025 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
This is a thought that's been bouncing around in my head fairly undefined until recently. Let me see if I can explain where it came from and where it's going.

First - most recently I've been keeping close track of conversations both here on Titan and on MMORPG and Massively. There's always this group of nay-sayers who mock us (often it's the same bunch of under-bridge dwellers whether it's Massively, EGM, or MMORPG - funny that) who keep telling us "Get OVER it already it's just a game! Move on!"

Also - a similar group (often overlapping, but not always) defends NCSoft's decision as some form of the argument "it's just business" (and like some of you, I've come to LOATHE that phrase just for it being used so god damn often like that.) despite us pointing out over and over that COH was profitable etc.

Both the above points may often be thrown in our faces in the most obnoxious under-bridge dwelling manner, or they may be used dispassionately by people who are well-meaning but really don't have a clue as to the actual experience of this game and community and don't understand why it's different.

So - understand that this leaves the realm of logic and into subjectivity to a point.

Because as is patently obvious to many of us - this is NOT "Just a game". It's become something a lot more than that. And to those paying attention, such as many of the former Paragon Studios devs or many MMO website article writers such such as those at MMORPG and Massively, it's frankly astonished them how MUCH we care. Has there ever in the MMO industry been an outpouring of grief and love and a willingness to fight doggedly on for an game like ours?

So - to get to the point of the subject line - my question is, to any of you - is this: At what point in the past 8+ years did this become more than just a game to you or your friends?

I'm not going to ask you to pin down a specific place, time, or event where that happened. Mostly that's not going to be possible. I doubt very many of us had an "epiphany" about it. Or even thought much about it.

But if you look back retrospectively, can you see it for yourself? Tell us a story if you like. Or a set of them. Or just do a quick eyeball summary. Whatever suits your style.

For me - it happened relatively late, considering I had joined in Oct 04. Sometime between when Issue 10 with the second Rikti Invasion and the time of Going Rogue release is when it happened. If this game had been closed down then or a little before, I think I wouldn't have been nearly so heart-broken and willing to fight for it. I would have "moved on".

I can't pin it down much more than that. But I think in retrospect, it was the realization of just how deep the stories were. How invested in them my characters were. The combination of Ouroboros flashback missions and completely new player generated content from AE that made things fresh in terms of content. And it just kept getting better and better. Culminating in Praetoria and and the Dark Astoria arcs. (As an aside, at first I looked askance at including those "personal story" missions because they amounted to extended "cut scenes". But later I saw them as pure genius for their ability to draw you in to the universe.)

I'm not a heavy RPer, but I enjoyed the company of many. The move from Justice server to Virtue in 2006 also helped facilitate the immersion factor.  At the same time, many of my friends from the Drunkard's Walk forum boards got interested in City of Heroes (mostly due to my enthusiasm, I think) and we formed the core of "The Legendary" supergroup. And that formed the core of an online and in-game social group that's persisted.

So all told - I'd say around by late 2008-2009 is when it changed for me from being "just a game" to something more.

How about any of you?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: At what point did City of Heroes become more than "just a game" to you?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 01:06:26 AM »
I like this post because it can bridge the gap between the lack of understanding between the many groups. To some it may be just a game and they dont understand why people view it as more than just a game/ Then on the other end, people that view it as more than a game dont understand why people dont view it more than a game and call those that say it's just a game, trolls. That is not good for communication nor understanding. Right here, I'm glad you brought it up because it may help people to understand why it's more than just a game to some people.

I've seen aggressive behavior on both sides to be honest. People that say it wasnt just a game and comparing it to killing a child, while some people lost a child for real and states it trivialize the death of said child and when someone speak up about it, it turns into a flame fest back and forth and the word troll is thrown around. Ive seen some people target those that miss the game and I've seen some that is still hurt about the game go to places and conversations and really just kill the "mood" and when someone speaks up they lash out and call them a troll. I think the problem is that people are too short and not trying or just dont know how to understand people that is not viewing it as they do.

I think some of the up coming stories and views will show how this isnt just a game. To some, it was many things and maybe to a few, it saved their lives and gave them the strength to face another day or to do better or to improve themselves.

Like I said, I'm glad you made this topic. And I think it will help. And even I look forward to seeing how the game made a difference in the lives of others and how it became more than a game to them. I wont kid you or anyone, my experience was more mundane, regular gamer playing a game for the time being, but seen a few touching stories that really make me wish the game wasnt ever closed when otherwise I would have shrugged, said it's just natural part of life of an MMO and moved on to another game.

ArachnosCommander

• Underling
  • www.ArachnosElite.com
    • www.ArachnosElite.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 01:12:01 AM »
The second I logged in.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 01:15:59 AM »
When I found Paragon Wiki. Before Titan Network, before Wikia...

No, honest, I'm not just saying that as an editor.

If Paragon Wiki hadn't been there for me to answer my questions in my first couple months, I wouldn't be here right now. If Paragon Wiki hadn't been there for me to begin editing, I wouldn't be here right now. If Paragon Wiki hadn't been there for me to tinker with even while I wasn't actually playing the game, I wouldn't be here right now.

So pretty much, I owe everything to TonyV. ;)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 03:12:00 AM »
For me, there is no 'point'.  It is like a romance, or labor of love... at some point it was "just something fun to do", and then it grew into the thing it is.

The Devs themselves, with their attention to us, was a big part.  That one Halloween, and the big custom maze... So much fun that day!  And we cared about the Devs and they us.  It wasn't just some money maker thing for them, although that didn't hurt, yeah?

The community, of course, the willingness to (mostly) not be meanies or obstinate jerks... just people wanting to play or chat or both.  Solo artists would still talk.  Teams would have a blast.  And everyone wins.  Pinnacle's Monday Night Fights were some of the friendliest and most fun PvPs I ever did, as it wasn't about beatin' other people to a pulp... it was more about having fun talking about the builds, and seeing how you measured up, and such like that, and always friendly and GFs everywhere. 

And that was in game... in the forums, it pretty much continued (with a little modding to keep it friendly and topically aligned.  I'll admit, sometimes, I was thankful for the mods, and sometimes... but hey, it worked overall.)  I wound up hanging around in the Tech forums a lot to help others to get their computers ship shape and cleaned up and ready to play CoH... and that was a hard job sometimes.  There were plenty of us, but... sometimes there were overwhemlingly bad setups or configs or bloated/virused... HJT logs anyone?  :D  Doing that became a little bit of an obsession for a while, but I really REALLY wanted to help people enjoy what I saw as the best damn game around.

And the creativity.  I mean... you could make MISSIONS, which is phenominal!  A game that lets you build, if you really wanted, a 15 mission arc over three sessions?  AND custom enemies?!  Not to mention the costume creativity that could be had, either one you made, or just roll a random look until you said "Oh... a little tweakin' but hey, that's damn good!".  And bios.  I was a big bio writer, almost every character, once they got to 10, had a bio for them.  It was important, even the very last build I made, which was a couple of weeks from DOOMTIME had a bio.  I wasn't an RPer, but it helped me to understand why I played that character the way I did, and build it the way I was building it.

I don't know exactly what point... if I had to say, it was somewhere during the time I was being a Tech board dude, probably 4-5 years in?... but I do know the why of it.  Just... everything, after a while, and it's something that I really do miss.  For all kinds of reasons.  I can't wait for it to return, even if frozen in time, and I have to restart all my characters.  It'll be FUN to do it, and I would be just... ecstatic.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:20:57 AM by houtex »

cohRock

• Lieutenant
    • Rich's Tepid Home Page
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 03:38:09 AM »
I picked up and bought CoH on a whim in early 2005.  I'd been playing Ultima Online (UO) regularly for years, but since I used to collect comic books, I thought, why not take a look?

I did.  The character creator was fun.  Other players would talk to you as a matter of course, not just guild recruiters and those few who go out of the way to be social.  Teaming was easy, with friends or strangers.  If you got bored with one character, you could make another and keep him around.  You had dozens of character slots among the various servers.  There were task forces and open world events.

And before I knew it, I hadn't played UO for weeks.  That's when I knew CoH was more than just a game.
-- Rich

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 05:30:22 AM »
For me I'd say it was a few months after I joined the game, the point at which I wrote my first bio. Because here was a character that was really mine. She wasn't just generic elf/troll/orc/whatever #68089, like in any other game. This was my specific character, with a unique story and power set that no one else had. And that made it more than a game to me.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 05:50:09 AM »
CoH was more than just a game to me before I ever started playing it - and, indeed, before it even entered beta.  I was one of the earliest people to join the forums.  Before long I had joined a superhero group and was roleplaying on the message boards - and thus it was a community for me before it was ever a game.  Unfortunately, due to technical limitations I was unable to get the game at the start and by the time I got into the game (just after Issue 4, IIRC) the supergroup I was in was already in terminal-illness mode.  And the game did not really live up to my expectations.  However, I had an attachment of sorts to the community so I stuck with it.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 06:02:08 AM »
I'm going to answer this with something a little different than I first thought. I might come back and add more of a point in playing that really transcended my loyalty to the game, but for now...

Honestly, you've only just made me realize this truth into words, but I really don't look to play anything that is "just a game". Oh, maybe a few old school pong-like games for mindless dexterity/hand-eye reaction... but my focus for any advanced video game that I play is to get lost in it and play make-believe. If I can't get fully absorbed into it, then I'm not really interested.
So, I went into it looking for something that was more of a game. It passed with flying colors. ;)
City of Heroes did that pretty early from my first log-in, really.
Perhaps the real moment that I discovered that this game would deliver on those aspects was when I gave a whirl at attempting to create my old pen and paper imagined character from many moons ago, the Electric-Knight. When I found a look that matched (close enough) what I used to draw him to look like and when I started zapping enemies with electricity and ran around, seeing my character animate and look like I always imagined him to look like... Kaboom. Never a doubt that I'd love losing myself in Cit of Heroes.
So, pretty much as soon as I logged into Paragon City.  :)
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Feycat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 07:20:41 AM »
The moment I met Haunt.

Which I think was... I dunno, 6 months post-launch, maybe less.

Pretty much since the first time I begged in SG for someone to come help me with missions (soloing defenders at launch... ouch) with no response, until one of the officers was like "sure, let me invite you," and took me on a whirlwind of... well, both of us dying. All the time. He was a D/D scrapper before shields stacked and pre-stamina. I was an emp/dark with poorly slotted attacks. Things were very bad. And yet, every day we got together for another round.

Since that day, there's been very few 24 hour periods in which we are not in contact for several hours, usually for a large chunk of the day. We never really left COH, but we bounced around to other MMOs, staying for a few years, joining or founding RP guilds, moving on when the game got stale. We've created hundreds of lovely characters together, written millions of words in scenes and RP, and have been best friends. I don't know what I'd do without him. So many of our life's milestones - college graduations, jobs gained and lost, my marriage, rat shows, the death of pets, the divorce of parents - all spent supporting one another, and would never have happened without COH.

And we've only met in person once, yet I do not hesitate to say he's my best friend, aside from my husband.

It's not just a game because it does stuff like that.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 08:42:15 AM »
Several things, the most determining of them being "meeting IRL with people you never really met before but still knew a lot about them". I mean, before I talked with people IRL about games, not people in game about IRL.

The other things are pretty moot next to this, but creating your character and playing it with (newly made) friends is the second. Every role player is behind this statement when I write it.

The sheer amount of possible personnalizations making possible not only to dream a character but experience it, would be the last. The empowerment was nothing like any other game out there, where you were playing someone else's dream. In City, it was yours.
Yeeessss....

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 01:04:08 PM »
When I discovered my core group of RPers, the RPCongress, and discovered that I could not only write my characters, I could live them.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »
oh wow.  so many things.

There was a time deep within the history of the City when Atta and the minions experimented with a teleportation device. This device, once activated, The minions would upon spotting an enemy to the first intersection in Atta’s tunnels and somehow keep them there (So obviously it was not working as intended. Well what do you expect from minions?). I believe this was back in January 2005, it was the Atta Teleport bug.

In any case I don’t recall my level, I was on Ace back before he got invulnerably so maybe 15? 16?  Or lower. I was invited to a team, the leader was all excited about Atta, said it was now a great mission for leveling quick.  He was a hard of hearing superspeed scrapper as I recall. No I don’t remember what kind.  He told us all to stay in one area and he would bring all the mobs to us. He started zooming through the caves and suddenly all the bad guys would appear right on top of us.  LOTS of them.   I remember the shouts of “That’s Enough!” “No More!” “ATTA!” etc… to no avail. Five of my teammates died within seconds, I being a Tank was a bit sturdier, and I survived long enough to get out from the middle of the mobs.

So it was me, hard of hearing superspeed scrapper (who was busy aggroing more mobs so they would teleport to me) oh, and a spunky little defender by the name of Sugar and Spice. She had died with the rest of the team, but she somehow got away from the mobs so she could pop an awaken (I think she had to use several to get far enough away).  She didn’t have a teleport back then so she couldn’t teleport anyone out of the mobs to raise them. But boy could she heal, She didn’t give a darn about her own health I saw her go down to next to nothing a lot, all she cared about was keeping me alive. I would have died dozens of times without her.   I went from a sliver of life to nearly full health over and over again, when she didn’t have the big heals she would run close to me and use her healing aura taking damage while she did it. Meanwhile the dead were feeding me all kinds of inspirations.

My only AoE was Frost, but I would still use my single target attacks too. The mobs were stacked so for every mob I seemingly killed dozens would go down. Finally our illustrious leader zooms back, dives in, and faceplants with the rest of the team, then gets mad at Sugar for not healing him. So she rezzed him right in the middle of the pack… only to see him die again. I then get a tell from Sugar “Serves him right” (or something to that effect) at that time I’m laughing my ass off.  She did it on purpose. Lol.  As I remember she did it to him 3 times and he kept accepting the rez. Finally the mobs thinned out enough for a blaster to use an awaken and back away. The three of us made short work of the reminder.  It was actually very good XP I think everyone got at least 2 levels or more.

The Bugged Atta Mission that’s when if first went from being a just a game to being more than just a game to me.

After that, Sugar and I teamed all the time. She was awesome. These were the days before global names and as it turns out she was also a high level blaster ‘Valeron’ that befriended me a few days later. No global names, so I had no idea they were the same person. These two characters of hers would constantly snipe at the other one. Val would say “Were you playing with that two-bit hussy Sugar and Spice again?  Next time I met Sugar she would say “Don’t tell me that high level bitch was pestering you again”. I honestly couldn’t figure out why they didn’t like each other, and I could never get them to meet.  But they would come back with stories of how they teamed with each other while I was offline. Val would come back and say how Sugar was the worst defender ever, and Sugar would come back and say Val was all uppity so she let her die a few times.

A while later I started trying to destroy the Protector server and kill everyone on it.

Ah those were the days.

ok who changed the filter to make T.r.o.l.l.s into unicorns?

Changed the T.r.o.l.l.s/unicorns to minions in the above.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:19:09 PM by Golden Ace »

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 03:53:59 PM »
It all started during the first ever Halloween event.

I was on my Fire tank and with our SG Sin. Suddenly in Founders Falls they spawned an Eochai! We attacked it and everyone in the zone killed it. We were talking and laughing and suddenly there was 2 Eochai! Again I go back to tanking and a couple of other tanks join in and the smackdown starts. We defeat the 2 of them and suddenly 3 Eochai are stomping us!

I laugh and say in Broadcast if one of the Devs are doing this - I can take it - bring it on! Suddenly the other tanks are starting to die - but my little Fire tank was well built even before IO's and he keeps on going. Now 4 Eochai are stomping on me! Then 5 and finally at 6 Eochai everyone dies and for a short while I actually survived tanking 6 Eochai before I died and I said in Broadcast - You win oh wise and powerful Oz!

Obviously a Dev was watching us and having fun!

When the makers of a game love having fun with the players - that is when it became more than a game to me.

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 05:50:40 PM »
For me, it was when I joined the Villains of Paragon City, the "black sheep" of the Virtue roleplaying community, with Femme Fencer (Jean Depallier).  They showed me how this was more than a game, it was a platform for storytelling.  I swear, we were a bunch of hardcore CoH fanatics, text fighting and using the chat system to do things that the engine couldn't.

We were, as we said, "the most famous, infamous group" on the Virtue server.  The "serious" RPers on Virtue took issue with how we would jump into places like Pocket D and force a roleplay scenario, like filling the place with mutating gas.  But the VoPC way was, "haters are going to hate, but we're shaking things up anyway!" And we did!

We ruffled not a few feathers.  But I believe Virtue was better for it.  For example, there was one event where we pretended a monster was consuming City Hall, and we had to stop it.  We shouted our narrations in /yell in Atlas Park.  Some people took issue with us, but for every one who did we had another who thought it was cool.  We had people not even associated with our group or the Virtue roleplaying circles join in.

To those who only knew us from our antics, people ought to know what we did behind the scenes.  We were a hardcore roleplaying group.  And when I say hardcore, I mean that we spent more time logged on to CoH than logged on to reality.  Then again, it was summer, I was housebound, and I had a lot of time to waste between the spring semester and fall.  So I dove right in and didn't look back.

The key to our fanaticism for the game was our leader, John Starkweather.  For those who knew him, he was one of the best idea men and GMs in the game...and possibly in the world of MMORPGs.  He would have his group and our enemies playing in his plots for days, weeks and months.  The reason he was the best SG leader I've ever known is because he constantly pushed himself to ensure we were never, never, ever bored. Nothing was too wild or outlandish for John.  He could turn two hours of dead time into four hours of excitement.

I was one of the people who was responsible for turning John's ideas into reality.  If he wanted a tank for a roleplaying event, I'd spend two days straight building a tank out of ramps and vents in our SG base. If he wanted a five mission story arc that tracked down sniper bullets, I'd spend the whole night working on an AE arc.  You wanted to work hard for this group, because we knew--as villains--that we had to be the ones who got the ball rolling.  Only by being so tenaciously evil could the other hero SGs have an opportunity to save the day.

To me, the VoPC was more than a place to have fun.  It was a calling.

SirKittles

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 02:36:30 AM »
There was no specific event. It was just a feeling, an aura, that overwhelmed you and sucked me in.

This was my first true MMORPG, and it was a fascinating experience. I looked nothing up, I went in blind. I didn't know, nor care that Ninjas/Dark Miasma probably wasn't the best powerset combination for a new player. I didn't know, nor care to ever bind hotkeys. I didn't know, nor care that you weren't supposed to get the attacks, you were only supposed to focus on the minions.

The character never got past level 26, mostly because I, in my youth, was so distracted and had hardly any leveling strategy at all. Plus, the character creator was so cool.

There were only a few people that I ever truly got close with, close being a word too flimsy for the true meaning of what I'm trying to convey. But it wasn't a specific person that dragged me in, or a specific super group--It was just the community in general.

Everyone, everyone, was great. I think that I might have met maybe four unkind people in the game since I had started in i7. While I had demands that forced me outside of the game for much of my life (sports, injuries, school) that prevented me from getting too close or dedicated to any person or persons, I always made sure to come back to it, just because the people were so great.

Oh, but the Barracuda strike force was epic. Epic.

Oh god, now I can't remember if it was the Barracuda Strike Force or a strike force where you had to fight Barracuda. It was that one in Sharkhead.

"What do you think, everyone?"

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 03:15:15 AM »
Oh god, now I can't remember if it was the Barracuda Strike Force or a strike force where you had to fight Barracuda. It was that one in Sharkhead.
Barracuda Strike Force was against 5th Column. It starts in Grandville and is a level 50+ SF.

The strike force you fight Barracuda ended in the Eye of the Leviathan chamber. It starts in Sharkhead and is a level 25+ SF.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 04:06:31 AM »
Oddly for me, it didn't have anything to do with the game itself, at least in the conventional way.  I got into the early CoV beta and since there were some graphic engine upgrades as well as other requirements and players needed help upgrading their graphics driver and in some cases their system.  BillZBubba was handling the ATI crowd but nobody was helping the nVidia players so I stepped in.

Soon there were a core group of people like BillZ and me fielding questions and for the most part that's how I got addicted to the forums.  It was the forums that made this more than a game for me.  It became a place with fellows with similar overlapping interests with the game being only one aspect.  The last time I felt that comfortable around a group was in college, which was an engineering/science college (plus hockey!) and nearly everyone was steeped in the same set of interests that to the rest of society would consider niche.  Like comics, D&D, science fiction, world domination, personal computing (Atari, Commodore, TRS-80, IBM PC era), Monty Python, video games (Mule!, Tempest), British Sci-Fi, etc.  You couldn't suggest a "nerdy" topic without half the people in earshot chiming in with their opinion.

And I got the same feeling here.  The culture forum was full of people who followed show and movies that most in work wouldn't even be aware of.  You want to talk about Farscape and Stargate and they want to talk about Friends or Seinfeld.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 01:24:01 AM »
Once it was taken away....

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 01:39:36 AM »
The moment I picked up Hover for the first time.

I don't care how *slow* it was back in the I7 days... I could fly.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com