Author Topic: Sleeper Agent (a Werewolf/Mafia variant)  (Read 5411 times)

Hakkusshon

• Underling
Sleeper Agent (a Werewolf/Mafia variant)
« on: January 11, 2013, 10:14:54 AM »
I thought I'd try starting up a Werewolf game, but with the lycanthropy/mafisio material filed off and some superhero fluff thrown on. Let me know if you are interested.  Here are the rules:

Rule Book
Overview
It was just another day in life of a superhero.  You and your teammates would fight crime, save the world and then return to your headquarters to unwind.  Suddenly, the alarms blare and the security doors slam shut, sealing everyone inside. The base computer states that it has detected a secret transmission that implicates two of your numbers as Sleeper Agents for your enemies. Before it can reveal the traitors' names, a secret failsafe placed by the Sleeper Agents triggers, crashing the computer.  Everyone agrees that the Sleeper Agents can not escape to deliver all of the group's classified information to their enemies. As suspicions and accusations fly, the tensions grow until everyone is at each other's throats. Meanwhile, the Sleeper Agents secretly plot to eliminate their former friends and escape or, as sole survivors, pin the blame on one of the vanquished so that they can further their sinister plots. Can you and your teammates discover the snakes in your midst or will the villains' plans come to fruition.

There are two sets of rules governing the Day and Night Phases of the game. Sleeper Agents shall attack in the night and Teammates shall lynch one of their own in the day. Each phase lasts for 12 hours or until everybody has voted (or whenever I remember to log on).

Sleeper Agents' goal: Pretend to be a Teammate and dwindle the population down to equal numbers or less. Meaning, 2 Sleeper Agents and 2 Teammates (or one Teammate and Latent Ability/Barrier/Guilty Conscience) or 1 Sleeper Agent and 1 Teammate/Latent Ability/Barrier/Guilty Conscience. 2 Sleeper agents and 1 Teammate works too.

Teammate's goal: Stop the Sleeper Agents!

Day Phase
- This is the time to communicate with each other and discuss strategy.
- There are no rules about conversation - tell the truth, fib, or down right lie.
- Tip: Don't reveal your role.
- During this time, I will ask everybody to vote (in this thread) about who to lynch. Majority rules - so lynchee, you better plead. In case of a tie: I'll let a random generator pick.
- Once you're lynched, you're out of the game and your role is revealed. And we thus move into the Night Phase of our game.

Night Phase
- Everybody must halt all discussion of the game - you're asleep.
- The Sleeper Agents, Barrier, and Latent Ability will perform their roles.
- Latent Ability will request to see the role of one person via a PM to me.
- Barrier will guard one person via PM.
- Sleeper Agents will know each other and won't be able to kill each other.
- Sleeper Agents will unanimously pick an individual to slaughter via PM and then tell me who that person is.
- I will announce the morning and who was killed. The role will be revealed.

- And Dead Men Tell No Tales. So leave all discussion on the thread to the Living.

Roles
- Sleeper Agents (x2) - Who you work for is a mystery.  Are you a deep-cover Arachnos infiltrator or a secret operative working for Malta? Has a Circle of Thorn spectre possessed you or have you been taken over by the Will of the Earth? Are you secretly a Nemesis automaton or a Crey-planted employee?  It doesn't matter now because the authorities may be on to you and now you need to eliminate all evidence.  Including your former teammates...
- Latent Ability (x1) - The Sleeper Agents have studied the team for months or even years to cover all contingencies.  They know everyone's powers and weaknesses.  However, you have something they didn't know about.  Perhaps you have a secondary telepathic mutation, a mystic trinket that gives you limited clairvoyence or you're just a good amateur detective.  Either way, you have able to pick up clues that can prove someone's guilt or innocence.  Each night, you can determine whether one of your copatriots are a Sleeper Agent or not.  Be careful though. If the Sleeper Agents were to discover you're hunting them, they may target you next for termination.
- Barrier (x1) - You have the ability to create invisible walls with your mind, a spell to cast magical blockade, a device to make force fields or just the key to the utility closet.  Either way, the Barrier can guard one person (including himself) every night. That night, the guarded person can neither die if they are a Teammate nor attack anyone if they are a Sleeper Agent.
- Guilty Conscience (x1) - You have a dark secret. It could be anything: you're having a affair with a married individual, you're a secret addict to an exotic substance, you are on the take with the Family or a myriad of various sins. However, you are unaware that your attempts hide your secrets have muddied the waters.  This person is a Teammate and is unaware that they have a Guilty Conscience. If Latent Ability requests to see their role, they will be shown as a Sleeper Agent.
- Teammate (the rest) - Just a normal member of the supergroup.  Fighting criminals is one thing, but finding traitors is not something you're used to. Only with working with your allies can you discover the enemies, but will your suspicions tear you apart instead?

Copy and paste and add your name!

We need at least seven people - but if we can rope in more that's great!! I'm the Narrator so I can't play.
If we have an odd number of players, we start with the Night Phase. If we have an even number, we start with the Day Phase. Registration ends after I distribute the PM roles, which will be sometime after we reach the target number. I'll give you an exact date soon.

In future games, if this is popular enough and we have enough players, I'll add more roles.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
Re: Sleeper Agent (a Werewolf/Mafia variant)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 01:28:42 PM »
I LOVE rolls...and cinnamon buns too. I'll bring the milk! ;D
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Hakkusshon

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 12:22:17 AM »
So, uh, was that an affirmative?

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 11:21:08 PM »
...don't know. If the buns are too firm, they will soften when dipped in the milk. :)
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
So, uh, was that an affirmative?

Thanks, Hakkusshon!  I only just now got to this thread.  I really appreciate your making the effort but am inferring there's currently a lack of interest in Sleeper Agent....

(Maybe one of these days I'll understand people.)  If you're looking to start this, like 2 months after proposing it, i'll sign up, but I'll admit I've never played Werewolf or Mafia (tho I've role-played a few, mostly as a NPC in World of Darkness LARP.)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Hakkusshon

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »
Sorry. I don't read this forum that much. If the interest is there, I'll get the game going. Unlike other games, you need people to 'sign up' in advance. Can't just jump in mid-game. They'd have to join the next round.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »
Sorry. I don't read this forum that much. If the interest is there, I'll get the game going. Unlike other games, you need people to 'sign up' in advance. Can't just jump in mid-game. They'd have to join the next round.
Thank you, Hakkusshon.  My sense is that the current group of forum game participants are just a wee bit too chaotic at present for something as coherent as the game proposed.  Of course, I could be wrong.  I have a longstanding track record replete with error and correctness.  If it looks like others are seriously interested I'll sign up but doing Werewolf/Mafia just for me seems silly.  Thank you again and have the bestest most excellent weekend possible!!!!   8)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 12:34:57 AM »
With my luck, I'd probably have fleas as a wearwolf..... and instead of a gun I'd wield a Swiffer cause I'd belong to the Mopia.