Author Topic: Anybody in TERA?  (Read 2301 times)

Adelante

• Boss
Anybody in TERA?
« on: January 09, 2013, 09:59:20 PM »
Curious as my Beta impressions weren't favorable, but now it's going F2P and apparently they've changed some things drastically.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Anybody in TERA?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:27:37 AM »
I was in it for a couple of months with some friends, but that was back before CoH was announced to be shutting down and I don't know how much it may have changed.  I found it enjoyable at first, but there were issues that annoyed me enough in the long run that I grew frustrated with it and stopped playing.  My little catgirl priest amused me, though.  I believe I have a screenshot somewhere of her perched on the edge of a stewpot in the middle of a volcanic wasteland tentatively sticking her finger into the pot. 

I got tired of fighting huge monsters that moved too quickly and had attacks whose area was larger than I could move and/or dodge between the time they were signaled and the time I got one-shotted by them.  And the healing aggro was insane.  And sometimes the monsters didn't even attack, they just walked through crushing you, then turned around on top of you and walked through you again with you unable to even get up.  And the instanced dungeons really needed to scale their difficulty to party size, as the normal enemies in them could be more difficult to fight for 1-2 people of appropriate level than giant monsters of the same level outside of the instance.  Yeah, it certainly became frustrating.  But up until the frustration built up I had more *fun* playing it than most other fantasy MMOGs I've played. 

I think RaiderZ *might* be less frustrating to play, but I was experiencing terrible intermittent lag there and they have serious spammer issues that are compounded by poor choices surrounding their chat (it starts with the typical issue of using a sans-serif font and just goes downhill from there).  And judging from the forums, it didn't seem like it was going to get addressed any time soon.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »
I might give it a try, I've always been curious about the combat system I keep hearing about.
I tried to buy it on Amazon when they did the 10$ sale thing, but it only applied to the US - so I had to pass.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:01:43 PM »
In my experience, Raider Z is not less frustrating to play. I never played Tera, but everything you said about it sounds like a description of RaiderZ. Awful game. It's impossible to dodge half the time, and forget about soloing like at all. It's just a typical Asian gear grind and the dialogue is terrible.

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
Just tried it again, still can't stand the controls.  They are abhorrent to me, even the controls for the gamepads aren't any good.  I'm pretty disappointed because I really want to like the game.