Author Topic: Has anyone tried Rift or RYL (Risk Your Life)  (Read 2686 times)

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
Has anyone tried Rift or RYL (Risk Your Life)
« on: January 05, 2013, 01:58:14 AM »
I haven't found anything yet that has caught my interest, but parts of Rift look familiar. Anyone try either of these?
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Has anyone tried Rift or RYL (Risk Your Life)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 03:36:22 AM »
I played Rift. It was fun until I got to the grindy parts.

Supposedly they've gone over some of the grandy parts since I last played (first six-eight months) but no first-hand experience there.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »
I played in the Rift beta (which means my info is old, I realize), but didn't choose to play after that. It was a very solid game with minimal bugs even in beta. The character progression system is good, and the game looks nice (if more than a little "generic swords-and-sorcery fantasy:). All-in-all, it is a very professional and well-executed game...that failed utterly to "grab" me in any meaningful way. I ended the beta with two reasonably well advanced characters that I could care less about.

That sort of engagement, however, is an utterly subjective thing, so I encourage people to take a look at the game. Objectively, it works well and is nicely polished...and what fails to grab me might work really well for someone else.

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »
I played RIFT.  I enjoyed the game a great deal except for a few things.

1) The end-game dungeons.  Every boss mob had multiple 'one-shot' attacks.  Heck, even the end-game rifts had bosses with it.  It was very annoying and frustrating.
2) Customer support.  This is the game where I got banned, multiple times, for a single conversation in broadcast where I asked another player if any of their "guild members" would like to join us for a dungeon.  I was getting "you've been banned" emails for months afterwards, the dude had serious beef with me.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 07:50:50 PM »
I play RIFT (alternating with LotRO), on the Faeblight server. Since we don't have globals, you can find me as:

Raelskye
Trisstesse
Samuraiko
Tetsutsuru

All four are Guardians.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Vyx

• Minion
  • @StormVyxen and or Vyx
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 03:28:42 AM »
I tried it, found the environment to be extremely gorgeous, but found too many game mechanics that were beyond frustrating for me and stopped playing.

Which is a shame because the environment is beautiful.
Huron: "...with Coffee primary / Attitude secondary"
Charnage: "Please. Think of the poor, defenseless desks."
Mentalshock: "Apocalypse has been canceled due to lack of interest."

"The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace. She failed... In the year of the Praetorian War, she became something greater... our last, best hope for victory."

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 03:41:50 PM »
Played RIFT, had issues with the community, but if you've played WoW (which I haven't) I'd expect it would be nothing unusual for you.

I really liked the game but was playing it mainly solo without raiding. I could craft anything useful, then they started requiring raid stuff to craft the best items and I lost interest. Suffered when I played (first 14 months or so) from having to do all the content to level 1 character to max, so got repetitive on subsequent characters. You can alleviate some of this by PvPing a lot.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 11:34:08 PM »
I have to admit I was extremely lucky which shard I got on, and extremely lucky that a high level officer of a nice guild recruited me in the newbie tutorial zone while alting in Rift. This guild on this server on Rift ranks with the best supergroups that were on CoH. I truly am very happy.

Allotrion

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Psylenz!  Good to see you on these boards.  I just downloaded the Rift trial. Sure is purdy.  I hope to meet up with you in-game.