Author Topic: Why COH will not get a server emulator.  (Read 98829 times)

Starsman

• Elite Boss
Re: Why COH will not get a server emulator.
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 02:53:13 PM »
0. Since you already have a field storing last activity date for each character, you can add an index on it to speed up the query.
1. SELECT * FROM characters WHERE account=<account ID> ORDER BY last_active DESC

I was making a bit of a joke about storing the last active date in the account table. I am sure there are uses to do that, but it wont save you off querying for those dates in the character table anyways.

BTW separate nitpick: TOP and LIMIT operations in SQL servers tend to be a bit "slow", not slow as in dragging but do them in high enough numbers and you will nottice it. Sometimes it may be way faster to just send the entire set of data (like a list of all characters) to the client and let the client sort and "page" through the array.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »
Yes, it is. If you're selecting by account name and not ID, it will need an extra JOIN and that's that.

Not saying your wrong, just that there may be more fields and tables involved, likely that evolved over time into a monster sized query.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, 06:31:56 PM »
I love how you're all discussing the best way to implement a function that I pulled out of my ass and wrote two bad ways to implement it as an example. Not sarcasm.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »
I love how you're all discussing the best way to implement a function that I pulled out of my ass and wrote two bad ways to implement it as an example. Not sarcasm.

Human nature?

They're all trying to one-up each other...? ;)
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 06:43:55 PM »
Oh, it's much worse than that. You have a group of people who are good at problem solving who no longer have their favorite place to spend time.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

redgiant

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 07:02:23 PM »
I just want the CoH version of Project99 for Everquest classic/Kunark/Velious, Feenix's Emerald Dreams for WoW vanilla, or Utgarde for DAoC.

You can call it whatever you like, just make my client talk to something that lets me superjump through all the familar places, chat with friends in-game per usual, group for missions and TFs, and beat the whatever-serves-for-snot out of Rikti in the RWZ.

If the exact physics or other calc done server-side aren't exactly the numbers that would have been sent back from a real PS server, that is expected and can improve over time. I think everyone realizes that you have to invent your own equivalent to what they had in terms of data persistant storage and in-memory schema, calc logic and scene update messaging. Oh, and whatever behavioral script system you are using server-side (LUA-based would be my guess).

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 08:54:10 PM »
Yeah, I just want the game back.  Call it an emulator, call it a simulator, call it an exfoliator, I don't really care.  Just wanna play.  I have so many character ideas still fermenting in my head.

Mr. NoPants

• Underling
  • Justice does not have time for restrictive clothin
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 09:37:35 PM »
I second the nomination for the name CoX Exfoliator!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »
No please click - Hero Exfloliator to enter the game and to be sent a catalog from Avon.

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 09:53:02 PM »
Don't exfoliate too often, you'll go blind.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 10:50:46 PM »
I second the nomination for the name CoX Exfoliator!
I third it!

Also, I formerly request that someday a new issue to be created, called "City of Pie"
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 10:54:49 PM »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2013, 11:04:54 PM »

I would answer this with a facepalm picture, but I couldn't find one adequate to the task...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 11:25:33 PM »
I would answer this with a facepalm picture, but I couldn't find one adequate to the task...

*rummages around for a while*

I think this one fits :D

Edit: Wait, did I just facepalm myself? ???

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 11:49:04 PM »
I'm like the lamest chessmaster in the cosmos.  8)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2013, 01:06:56 AM »
Oh, it's much worse than that. You have a group of people who are good at problem solving who no longer have their favorite place to spend time.

THIS.

This is so true. I can't really get into the programming thing myself. Don't have the specific skills/knowledge, but I LOVED building our SG base. (Well - loved when it worked RIGHT - the rest of the time I was cursing and kicking the editor... >.>)

So yeah - naturally you're going to get people who want to tinker who CAN'T now and... well - this is the only outlet they HAVE anymore.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2013, 01:09:23 AM »
Edit: Wait, did I just facepalm myself? ???

Physician heal thyself

Hmm...

Class Clown Pants thyself?

:D

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2013, 01:13:45 AM »
He wouldn't worry about wearing pants if his characters were on Triumph....
*going on a Hami raid*

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2013, 02:07:06 AM »
I'm like the lamest chessmaster in the cosmos.  8)

You are sooo lucky I'm gullible. >:(

...... Aww dangit, he did it again!!! :gonk:

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2013, 02:48:47 AM »
Yeah, I just want the game back.  Call it an emulator, call it a simulator, call it an exfoliator, I don't really care.  Just wanna play.  I have so many character ideas still fermenting in my head.

Same here mate. I'd prefer to play online with other people, but I'd settle for single player version with dev power, for nostalgia and giggles.