Author Topic: "What if..."  (Read 3268 times)

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
"What if..."
« on: January 02, 2013, 11:39:55 PM »
Ok, two things that really helped make CoH great were the ingame community and the outside support like Titan Network, Mids, Virtue Verse, and Paragon Wiki.

I've already noticed that since a chunk of the CoH community has migrated to CO there are more well put together classic-themed toons running around, a better ingame community (though it wasn't too bad to begin with), and just an overall better and more mature feel to the game.  It has become much more comfortable.

Well, we know how all of the support stuff should be done coming from a game where it was done so well- what if we got involved and really made the PRIMUS Database as good as Virtue Verse was, or COWiki as good as Paragon Wiki was, or the Powerhouse Hero Planner as good as Mids was?   These things would greatly enrich the game and really make it more of what it could be.

Now, I'm sure some of you are already busy doing this, but since Titan and the others are busy trying to resurrect CoH (and Godspeed to that), they aren't going to do it.  What do y'all think of this, and is there the interest and the know-how out there?  Just testing the waters to see what people think.

PS- I got the Champions Universe 6th edition and that fleshed out the game in wonderful ways and made it more enjoyable for me-I'd recommend it if you don't mind dropping a little cash.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: "What if..."
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 12:46:36 AM »
Ok, two things that really helped make CoH great were the ingame community and the outside support like Titan Network, Mids, Virtue Verse, and Paragon Wiki.

I've already noticed that since a chunk of the CoH community has migrated to CO there are more well put together classic-themed toons running around, a better ingame community (though it wasn't too bad to begin with), and just an overall better and more mature feel to the game.  It has become much more comfortable.

Well, we know how all of the support stuff should be done coming from a game where it was done so well- what if we got involved and really made the PRIMUS Database as good as Virtue Verse was, or COWiki as good as Paragon Wiki was, or the Powerhouse Hero Planner as good as Mids was?   These things would greatly enrich the game and really make it more of what it could be.

Now, I'm sure some of you are already busy doing this, but since Titan and the others are busy trying to resurrect CoH (and Godspeed to that), they aren't going to do it.  What do y'all think of this, and is there the interest and the know-how out there?  Just testing the waters to see what people think.

PS- I got the Champions Universe 6th edition and that fleshed out the game in wonderful ways and made it more enjoyable for me-I'd recommend it if you don't mind dropping a little cash.

hey, titan, paragonwiki, etc I think, was made by players for players. I think eventually CO, especially with the COX ex player influx, will have things like that made. In fact one Mids equiv. is up but it's in the basic stage and according to word in the game it's being currently updated to be on mids level but for CO.

CO is still relatively young and all the good stuff that COX ended up with many forget those features wasnt always around. Even Titan wasnt over night. It took some times, same with Mids. I remember when Mids was near useless but got better as more work was put into it. I remember Paragonwiki and wikia and red tomax( maybe mispell) were about the same level and not much to it, one stop being updated, one I dotn know what happened to it but paragonwiki continued to grow. What many people seem to remember is the end result but not how it got there. CO will get there with those type of websites too. Remember how COX and the player made sites were during issue 9? Very good but nowhere as good as they were by issue 16.

The community in CO was always good even before the influx to me. I had less problems with CO community in game than I had with people in COX. Of course experience will vary so I cant speak for no one but myself as far as community is concerned. But I can say for a fact that so far the ex COX players that are in CO seem to be friendly overall. I liked the CO prior to the influx but now, I feel I have the best of both worlds, the friendly side of COX, talking about the old times, while playing CO and talking to people I met in CO. I cant ask for better. I always seen good toons running around CO before and after so not much different that I seen. Hell, I seen some pretty "strange" toons in COX too, just as much but not anymore than I seen in CO.

In a way, by player for player forum kind of already exist here. In other game section of this forum, seems to mostly be about CO. Maybe eventually as demand rises, CO may get it's own dedicated section. The Mids equivalent is already in the works, and I imagine the paragonwiki equivalent will get better. So far, the COwiki is even more vague than the paragonwiki was even though both just repeated stuff that was already easily found in game but COwiki is near useless in it's current stage but it probably will get better. I think with time, those sites will get better.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 01:13:22 AM »
In a way, by player for player forum kind of already exist here. In other game section of this forum, seems to mostly be about CO. Maybe eventually as demand rises, CO may get it's own dedicated section.
........CO already has its own dedicated section. In fact, this post is in it.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:48:10 AM »
........CO already has its own dedicated section. In fact, this post is in it.

Ah. then I stand corrected. we already CO section

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 02:18:56 AM »
I have had pretty much positive experiences in terms of people being willing to answer questions and put up with my newbness to CO.

I think I've only encountered one or two unicorns in broadcast chat there who were trying to rile up the ex-COX community.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 03:58:25 AM »
Yeah, for the most part the reception from the existing community toward all the CoH refugees is good. The only time I usually see it go bad is when someone starts complaining about all the things CoH did betterdifferent to CO or vice versa.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 05:51:22 AM »
... what if we got involved and really made ... COWiki as good as Paragon Wiki [is],...

After spending countless hours working within the format and framework that is Paragon Wiki, I don't know that I could ever get used to working on CO Wiki (or EVE's wiki, for that matter). Those... colors... make my eyes lose focus something fierce. PW is so much better in terms of clarity and readability. Besides, I've got too much left to document here to get involved over there for quite some time.  :P

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 05:29:39 PM »
I have had pretty much positive experiences in terms of people being willing to answer questions and put up with my newbness to CO.

I think I've only encountered one or two unicorns in broadcast chat there who were trying to rile up the ex-COX community.

I haven't been on Broadcast or Local since discovering the CoX channel (except for one login just after Christmas when the channel had "automatically" reverted to Local, for some reason). The chatter is always friendly and lively, and there are more than a few familiar "faces."
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 03:06:38 AM »
I haven't been on Broadcast or Local since discovering the CoX channel (except for one login just after Christmas when the channel had "automatically" reverted to Local, for some reason). The chatter is always friendly and lively, and there are more than a few familiar "faces."

Same here.