Author Topic: City of Steam looks awesome  (Read 2528 times)

DeadMetal

• Underling
City of Steam looks awesome
« on: December 31, 2012, 09:09:36 PM »
Just signed up for open beta, should be in the spring. I got a feeling this is going to have a similar community feel to that of CoH . I have tried several MMOs but none of them seem to keep my interest that CoH did so taking a break for a while. City of Steam is the only light on the horizon at the moment.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: City of Steam looks awesome
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:22:43 PM »
I wasn't happy about the required teaming quests.  Now I only played the 1st beta so I don't know if they fixed any of the things I seriously disliked about it, such as the previously mentioned required teaming or the lack of remaking the controls.

I was impressed by how cool it looked for a browser based MMO.  Graphics were quite good.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Shaz

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:24:30 AM »
FatherXmas: If you only played in CBT1, then you didn't get to see the single player challenges they added to the instances. All of Refuge had single player challenges, and I think it was going to spread out from there- Heartlands, then Meluan's Gate, etc.  Making the controls bindable is on their List of Things to Do, and I know I surely would like that myself. (I'm fine with most of them, but there's a few things I really need to re-bind!)

What really impresses me is their dev team, and how they were constantly actively taking part in the game and how well they respond in-game on and the forums. And then there's the Dev Humiliation Video, which is mostly just one Dev dressed as his character and LARPing playing the game. (The 'getting stuck using the roadsign to auto-run to target' bit made me really laugh, because it happened an awful lot to me in CBT2!)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:52:07 AM »
I wasn't impressed, but that was partically due to a lack of Mac compatibility.  (To be specific, the game wasn't reading Command-click as a right-click like most Mac programs do, and since turning the camera required a right-click, I was stuck facing one way all the time rather than being able to see where I was going)

Only "partially", because I also wasn't impressed with the generic fantasy races and annoying "click on enemy to attack" gameplay.  Even if they get the Mac camera issue fixed I'm not sure I'll go back.

... especially since I've forgotten my password for City of Steam, and their website redesign means my password is no longer saved in Chrome (since it was for the original page, not the new one)

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 05:13:58 AM »
To me its just another fantasy-based MMO with a steampunk patina. No interest here.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

clayman54

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 05:53:26 PM »
They made changes in each closed beta, and more coming in the open beta, no date on that yet.  I really liked it, lots of fun.  Despite using the Unity browser plugin, the browser you use to play it can/will have an affect on frame rate, looks, etc.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 03:01:46 AM »
It's the gear modding/crafting system in City of Steam that's currently its biggest strength for me.

Gear mods drop frequently from mobs and chests, and they can be easily and quickly combined with other mods to upgrade them. Mods can also be slotted/unslotted in gear as you go along, and without any penalty or cost. In fact combining and slotting mods is a good way to clear space in your inventory on an extended dungeon crawl by filling gear you plan to sell with any mods you don't want/need.

Many mods can be slotted in several types of gear too, meaning there's a vast choice available to customise according to playstyle.

The game is very much still beta and still has a way to go, but if they keep the current modding system as it is, it's a very strong offering. And the graphics are pretty good - it's easy to forget you're playing a browser game. The Unity engine is serving the dev team rather well so far.

As for the lore, it's based on a very well imagined tabletop RPG - it's easy to see there's a lot of creativity and potential in the whole mechanic of the game's World Machine. Time will tell I guess, but it's certainly got a thumbs up from me so far (my avatar is from CoS btw) :)

pewlagon

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:20:15 AM »
When I'm back on my feet this will be one of two games featured on my YouTube channel.
I really like the fact that there are only four classes. This gives you a chance to explore all of the roles without fear of being constrained early on. And the races you can choose, definitely cater to an interesting world. I voted it up on Green Light for Steam. It does indeed have a strong community feel.

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »
You can play an elf with a hunting rifle and a pipe. Admittedly, from what I've seen the female armors aren't quite as modestly Victorian but still the game shows a lot of promise. Its on my to try out list when they go open beta.