Author Topic: Borderlands 2  (Read 5030 times)

Synodontis

• Minion
Borderlands 2
« on: January 01, 2013, 04:05:17 AM »
Just started playing Borderlands 2... is multiplayer for that any good (if existent? haven't seen anyone...)

It seems like a very very solo friendly game due to all the loot you can pick up, I imagine with other people if you don't have a good understanding with them, you will all be fighting each other for the loot.

It's the only console game I've been able to really get into... I like that you can do whatever you want pretty much at your own pace (kinda like COH) but sad I can't make my own character other than giving him a name :)

I name him.... Synodontis, and he is the Assassin character, purely because in my aesthetics he looks the coolest.  I played Mordecai in the first Borderlands (also for the same deep, deep reason) and he had the awesomest dialogue ("BOOM! Headshot!  .... NoOOOOO... I NEVER DIE!!!!!!") lol, this version is not as amusing.  :)

Babbling, sorry.  Sick, and tired of holidays, and sick despite holidays.  :}

Anyway anybody else playing Borderlands?

Servantes

• Minion
Re: Borderlands 2
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:12:40 PM »
I play borderlands 2 on PC, I play all the classes, surprisingly they all play fairly different in terms of strength, my favorite is my Mechromancer, Deathtrap is a beast...even if his AI isn't the most reliable... :-\

Playing with other people can be a Loot feast because there isn't a loot roll period. it suffers from bullet sponge syndrome when more people are in a group, but if you do 2-3 people is actually quite enjoyable, 4th person it becomes a bit much.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 05:25:12 AM »
My husband loves it, and I find the dialogue hilarious.  Too twitchy for me to play, but I can listen anyway.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 05:30:24 AM »
I enjoyed this game for awhile, but it was very stingy about giving out weapons that were interesting AND useful.  We got a great deal of play out of it for a shooter - 4 to 5 weeks IIRC.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 09:00:44 AM »
i find borderlands 2 much more enjoyable to play online

as for loot and stuff, ive mostly stopped caring about it cause since i burned through all the content cause there isnt enough of it, i started using save editor to get whatever i want, i dont want to spend hours upon hours grinding for legendaries on a lvl 50 that cant progress skill wise anymore (i also occasionally use the save editor to really mess with guns to make some hilariously overpowered guns, but they are annoying to use since they get deleted upon quitting if you dont store them in your bank)

also as a note, the next DLC will be out on the 15th

edit: as another side note, steam says i have played borderlands 2 for 380 hours, ~300 were the first 3 weeks after release, havent been playing it a lot except when new DLCs come out

Synodontis

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 05:04:40 AM »
I haven't tried playing it with other people yet though my boyfriend says it is lots of fun.  I was kinda worried about who can grab all the loot / if people share.  Anyway I haven't had any time to play anything, hoping that can change this weekend and I can pick up some guns and shoot some stuff XD.  Thanks for replies, glad to hear others like it, I love the art style and sense of humor, in addition to being able to run around wherever you like.... and shoot stuff.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 06:13:00 AM »
The game itself is good, especially if you grab a few friends and play together. But the way it's being run after release is debatable. The consensus on another forum I watch is that it's trying really hard to be an MMO even though it isn't, with things like the really low drop rates and upcoming skin packs.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:20:43 PM »
you could just use a save editor to get all the skins without farming or buying the DLCs

the only thing i know that is locked between DLCs are guns that were added with a specific DLC

i dont bother picking up much loot because i was like "screw the farming junk i just want to shoot stuff" and get whatever i want using save editor

if you want to play with me sometime to get stuff or just to have fun feel free to add me on steam if you play through steam of course lol

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 02:25:11 AM »
Is it even possible to not play borderlands 2 through steam? The original had a seperate retail copy but I'm pretty sure this one actually uses steam's thing for the multiplayer.

Synodontis

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 03:54:25 AM »
what is steam?  Sorry I'm a noob :)  It does seem like it almost wants to be an MMO.  I'm gonna try playing some more this weekend... on xbox though.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 06:37:22 AM »
reason i mentioned non steam versions to include all console versions since none of them can play with poeple on steam

for some reason they thought it was a good idea for all of the servers to be seperated instead of getting a larger playerbase that has access to the same multiplayer regardless if it is console or not

to synodontis: steam ias basically an online retailer for PC games, they have excellent sales all of the time and you can download any game you own on any system you log your steam into.  their main page is here http://store.steampowered.com/

even though we cant directly play together doesnt mean cant help each other out lol, if you really dont like the item grind i know of a very good save editor thats very easy to use that will let you get any item you want to experiment with ect

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 09:41:50 AM »
Oh, good point. I forgot about consoles. On PC though I'm pretty sure steam is required. Which is fine with me, since I have it running anyway most of the time.

Synodontis

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 04:58:33 AM »
ooh I'll look into the steam thing then, anything to make it easier to connect with people, plus my pc is always mine, while i have to share the tv/xbox with other people in the house :)   

Canine

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 12:04:37 AM »
My feelings on BL2 are a little mixed.

This is all from the point of someone with a level 50 Siren and Gunzerker.

Playthrough 1 is good, the mobs are scaled to be a challenge, at least so far as my relatively insignificant twitch FPS skills are concerned.

I enjoyed the story and side missions, although Claptrap is still an annoying little toad, and Jack is a bar steward of the highest order.  There are some nice surprises in the plot (and some bits that aren't anywhere near being a surprise).

However to me, Playthrough 2 and the 45-50 level range is an abomination.  The damage and HP scalars seem to go exponential rather than linear through the final few levels.  This means that you're going to get destroyed on a regular basis if facing mobs at an even level or god help you one level above you.  Mobs that are stripping my shields and health in 4 or 5 hits are taking two or three clips of ammo from purple weapons to take down...  And when My Siren reflects a bullet back at a mob, that mob takes about 50 damage.... from a shot that was doing a couple of hundred to a thousand or so damage to me.

Drop chances are *tiny*, requiring mindless grindy farming of bosses if you want the shinies. (or the use of a save editor, which is frankly a more appealing option to me than spending 6-8 hours farming one boss for a tiny chance at a single desirable item...)  And the endless farmy grind seems to have been wholeheartedly accepted by most of the community on the Gearbox forums.

Mobs don't drop the guns they were using to put holes in you.  That's annoying as hell when you've been taking on a mob that appears to have an interesting looking weapon, yet when finally defeated, the bandit that was using a slag Assault Rifle drops a Bandit Pistal....

For a game that was advertised on the grounds that 'you are a badass', it makes a good job of making you feel like a squishy second rater in PT2.

Backpack space... oh dear god there's nowhere near enough available, EVER.  And what there is there is less than you got in BL1.

The guns are just... uninspiring compared to BL1's assortment.  In BL1 I used to try out far more guns as I went along that I have in 2.  It took me more than 150 hours of playtime to find a decent Assault Rifle in BL2, for crying out loud...  In BL1 I was enjoying all sorts of weapons, including the pure fun of the Pestilent Defiler, Combustion Hellfire and Atlas Assault Rifles, amongst others.

Maybe I just got too used to considering CoH as my sort of fun, but PT2 is now something to suffer through rather than enjoy in BL2.

As the DLC's been coming out (I got the season pass while it was briefly mispriced at about 9 quid on Steam, so I get the first 4 campaign DLC's for no additional charge :) ), I've pretty much been playing through it on PT1 to enjoy the storylines, and ignoring PT2 as an unfun experience.

Oh, and Lab Rats and Badass Fire Threshers can go play with a wood chipper so far as I'm concerned.  Being instagbbed by a fire thresher surfacing under your feet with no real way to avoid it is not fun to me, and a Lab Rat that can strip full shields and most of your health in one hit would be moderately OK if you were ever facing only one Lab rat, but they are never alone.

Multiplayer doesn't add more mobs, it turns them all into Sacks o' HP (tm), wrong way to do it, says my CoH trained hindbrain, but hey, the consoles would probably scream in agony at CoH sized spawns... <shrug>

So IMO, good in parts, other parts a step backward from BL1 and other parts just plain bloody annoying.

Apologies for the rambling rant, but it's all purely in my own opinion, so feel free to ignore it :)  As always, YMMV.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 06:00:45 AM »
canine i agree with some of your points

i do agree that the scaling in the 45+ area of the game was very odd to me, my 50 commando has almost 76k hp and 26k shield, my 69 soldier in the first game only had like 3500 hp and maybe 5000 shield

also after playing around with save editor some and actually seeing what a capped character could be, i dont see how they could increase the lvl cap at all ("capped" that im refering to is a lvl 127 character, at that point your character will have approximately 600+ million hp and 200+ million shield with almost no badass ranks)

drop chances, i agree they are miniscule, hence why i started using a save editor so i could actually play with the legendaries and stuff without having to mindlessly grind for days

backpack space, wholly agree, and wish i could fix it with save editor, there is a way to temporarily boost your backpack space to 42 but it will not stick if you quit game

about the gun selection, yeah, there is very few choices for assault rifles in this game that are actually good.  the weapons i primarily use are rocket launcher, sniper, infinity pistol, and the last i usually rotate between shotgun, AR, and smg depending on what badass challenge im working on

as i posted earlier, if you play on PC through steam, your always welcome to friend me and i can get you guns, skins, heads, grenade mods and class mods, whatever you think will make the game more enjoyable for you

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 06:21:49 AM »
I found the default backpack space to be plentiful.  If you're running out of space you have a looting disorder. ;)

But I agree on the squishiness and drop rate.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Canine

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 11:07:26 AM »
I found the default backpack space to be plentiful.  If you're running out of space you have a looting disorder. ;)

It's Borderlands.... The whole damn game is one big looting disorder :P <ahem> <grin>

I carry, on my siren -

Equipped :
1) Moxxi's Good touch (Fire SMG)
2) Vladof Swift Rifle (Purple Corrosive non-spinigun AR, because I'm working on the crouchy AR kills achievement atm, less than 200 to go for Rank 5, then I can never use an AR again...)
3) Moxxi's Bad Touch (Corrosive SMG)
4) Jakobs Chikamin Muckamuck (Purple Jakobs Sniper for one hit damage)

Shield - The Bee, usually.  Saves me ammo, but makes me squishy if I don't see the mobs first. Got it after 3 tries at Hunter, I think I got lucky.
Grenade - Longbow Storm Front (I don't recall where it came from, but by god it hurts things LOTS, Orange Tesla grenade, on steroids)
Class Mod - Angelic Nurse (for HP regen and not having to worry too much about finding health, slow as hell regen though.  Purple)
Relic - Vault Hunter's Relic (for the teeny tiny decrease to white item drop rates and the corresponding tinier increase to greens, blues etc.)

In my backpack I have :

A Level 47 Badaboom Bandit Rocket Launcher (the first Orange weapon I found, fires lots of rockets at once for one ammo consumed.  this is a good thing, since the game's so damn stingy with Rocket ammo)
Storming Trance (Generic Maliwan Shock SMG, for shield stripping when required)
Conference Call (if you don't know what the conference call is, then you don't understand the rage at the 'bee nerf'.  I don't like how it shoots, myself, but having a shotgun available means I can use shotgun ammo if I run out of other types)
Chulainn (Slag/Shock SMG, just got from PT2 Clan war, deciding on whether or not to keep it atm)
Rubi pistol, Corrosive, allows me to use pistol ammo, is a Binary, so 2 shots per trigger pull, and has the same damage to health effect of all Moxxi's weapons, so adds survivability.
Alkaline Turtle shield, in case I decide to try my hand against Master Gee.  Probably going to kiss it goodbye, since I find the raid bosses to be massively unfun.
Adaptive shield, for when having 40%ish elemental resist would be a good thing.
Absorb Shield, becaues when it catches a bullet you take no damage.
Slayer of Terramorphous class mod, because hey, I had a Conference call and Bee before the nerf :)  For when using fire SMG heavily.
Witch class Mod, +corrosive mod, for use against Hyperion bots.
Cat Class mod, +SMG damage for when I feel like a change
Afterburner relic, for when there's a lot of travel to do.
Longbow Corrosive sprayer grenade, again for use agaisnt Hyperion.

So that's about 13/14 out of my 37 backpack slots used.  23/24 slots ain't a lot left over.

Oh, and NecrotechMaster, I've got the save editor, but that doesn't get used on the Siren, she's my first alt in BL2.  Now my Gunzerker, after 190 hours on the Siren, I'd had enough.  He got edited to hell and back.  Bee, Sham, dual Infinity pistols, all weapons locked to my level as I played so I didn't have to replace things I liked etc. from level 10 or so.  He was FAR more fun in PT2 than the siren because I just didn't *care* what I was facing.  Shock/Fire or Shock/Corrosive unlimited firepower made things fall over. :)

I tried Gearbox's definition of fun, and didn't like it, so I made my Gunzerker to have fun my way :)

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 06:57:57 PM »
my commando is the only character i really edited, i played through 1-50 all normal once i beat all the mishs and got all steam achievements i started modding him because of sheer boredom

i play through lvls 1-50 on other characters normally so i can have options when playing with friends

the CC is a drop from the warrior (final boss of main story), the other guy who tends to drop a lot of legendaries is pyro pete (seraph boss version), i got a whisky tango foxtrot from him once and i think a legendary class mod once, the only thing i find annoying about the seraph bosses and stuff is after you kill them you have to save and quit and then go back into the game to kill them again, although its better than the hard 24 hour lockout that they originally had

one thing i really liked doing with the save editor too was making modded guns that are crazy overpowered lol, i especially like making infinity versions of various guns, i have infinity norfleet, infinity CC, infinity madhous, infinity sand hawk all with crazy fast fire rates lol

only thing i hate about modded guns though is that they get auto deleted when not placed in your bank before quitting